Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:51:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Syfy + Trion = Defiance MMO Action Shooter (PC 360 PS3) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Syfy + Trion = Defiance MMO Action Shooter (PC 360 PS3)  (Read 172540 times)
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #560 on: July 24, 2013, 04:39:31 AM

Given that they have already sold subscriptions, they may not feel they have an option to do anything other than produce them as a paid product.

I have no idea how they have let things go this far. I remember people chomping at the bit for the DLC when the second episode of the series came out and wondering why it had been delayed so long. I don't think that blog comes even close to the kind of damage control they need to do.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #561 on: July 24, 2013, 09:10:42 AM

The DLC was originally sold for $29.99. Also the game is shit. I know that at its core there is some decent gameplay stuff stuck in there, but everything else is shit. The pvp is shit. The "class" selection is shit. The itemization is shit. The bullshit to keep you busy is uncreative and shit. Trion should be apologizing to everyone that purchased the game. They should refund DLC purchases. Every single person that worked on Defiance should be locked out of working on another game for the rest of their lives because they are shit.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #562 on: July 24, 2013, 09:35:57 AM

What did we decline to comment on?

Richardsson's departure; "Massively confirmed Richardsson's departure with Trion earlier this afternoon, but the company declined to comment further."

I believe they're suggesting that it was not an amicable parting. When high-profile devs leave with neither side saying a word about it ("thanks for your work, good luck" and "great team, I'll miss you"), people wonder.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #563 on: July 25, 2013, 02:54:16 PM

I'm at such a loss to explain what is going on with this title because as I have said before, it isn't bad.  Of all the crappy games out there this one has so much potential and the fact that its connected to a popular show on Sci-fi, if only in name, makes it even more ridiculous.  They should've just made it a console shooter and let it go.  I would think, if I was a member of the team that spent a lot of time and work on this title, I'd be pretty pissed with the direction the company took on it. 
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #564 on: July 25, 2013, 03:08:20 PM

Because it is bland, promised a lot and will never deliver on that promise. The "potential" it had is one of the reasons to dislike it.

Though I think part of the fun is seeing how they manage to extricate themselves from a failing game, falling revenues and the promise of continuing content they sold in advance.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Chockonuts
Terracotta Army

Reply #565 on: July 25, 2013, 06:05:27 PM

In charge now.

Curious.. wonder if he was overseeing the End of Nations fiasco on Trion's end. If so, he could have been the one who told Trion to pull the plug on Petro and bring it in-house..
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #566 on: July 26, 2013, 10:04:27 AM

Wasn't RIFT literally a tech test for the making of this thing? Is there some irony in that?

I thought Defiance was okay but there wasn't really any variation or much to do really. I dunno how to put it, but Defiance feels really repetitive and boring in comparison to other 3rd-person cover-based shooters but the other cover based shooters don't really have that much more to do. You just shoot the mans in both but somehow Uncharted/Gears/etc managed to keep the 40th gigantic shoot out different/interesting feeling enough for me to not be completely bored.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #567 on: July 26, 2013, 10:10:31 AM

It's that Defiance doesn't even pretend that you're doing something different. It's a giant useless but varied terrain containing a very very tiny number of Rift things you actually wind up doing.

The shooting and whatnot is all very well done and it plays wonderfully. There's just not that much to actually do in it.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #568 on: July 26, 2013, 04:35:29 PM

The core gameplay is fun as hell but everything else is lackluster. The story, for what it is, is ok but extremely short.

One of the biggest problems with this game, IMO, is the horrid chat interface. It's hard to have an MMO when I can barely communicate with other players. Add to that the repetitiveness, and the stupid decision to tie it to an IP but set it half a continent away. If they'd set this game in Defiance that'd have sold it so much better. Hell, Defiance and the surrounding areas probably have tons of stuff to do that the show characters aren't handling.

I believe that the decision to make it multi-platform is what killed it. They cut so many corners to put it on 360 and PS3 and it really show, especially in the PC version.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Chockonuts
Terracotta Army

Reply #569 on: July 26, 2013, 07:19:02 PM

Wasn't RIFT literally a tech test for the making of this thing? Is there some irony in that?

I thought Defiance was okay but there wasn't really any variation or much to do really. I dunno how to put it, but Defiance feels really repetitive and boring in comparison to other 3rd-person cover-based shooters but the other cover based shooters don't really have that much more to do. You just shoot the mans in both but somehow Uncharted/Gears/etc managed to keep the 40th gigantic shoot out different/interesting feeling enough for me to not be completely bored.
A lot of players like to remark on how much it's like Borderlands in ways being shooters blah blah blah.

To me it didn't really feel like that. The difference being Borderlands was funnier, dropped more loot, better weapons, and didn't feel like a grind as you played it because of the story. Strangely a game like Defiance with it's own television show and five years of planning has such a boring story that only actually crosses over a quarter or so of the time so it's hard to get into it except for the face shooting.

This is why I chuckle at people saying the $60 price was worth it because ''Compared to other shooters...''  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Incidentally, it's now selling for $7 American since it's April launch if anyone hasn't seen the game yet and still wants to try it.  Or you can wait until next month when it will be dropping to 5 Zimbabwean dollars and get it then.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #570 on: July 27, 2013, 12:19:46 AM

Incidentally, it's now selling for $7 American since it's April launch if anyone hasn't seen the game yet and still wants to try it.  Or you can wait until next month when it will be dropping to 5 Zimbabwean dollars and get it then.

Or you can just play the free trial now and save your Zimbabwean currency  why so serious?
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #571 on: July 27, 2013, 08:23:12 AM

Or you can just not play it and avoid the shit sandwich.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Chockonuts
Terracotta Army

Reply #572 on: July 27, 2013, 12:30:48 PM

Or you can just play the free trial now and save your Zimbabwean currency  why so serious?
"Your free trial will start as soon as you sign up, so make sure to download the client immediately after signing up."
Why would anyone do that?

Their patcher sucked so bad that it would take the full 72 hours for them to even get you in the game. You should see how many people have been complaining about that. Even Angry Joe couldn't take it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-iKMWrwl74

Seriously, it was pretty bad. People still having problems from their last trial.
BlueAvocado
Terracotta Army

Reply #573 on: July 29, 2013, 01:23:53 PM

In charge now.

Curious.. wonder if he was overseeing the End of Nations fiasco on Trion's end. If so, he could have been the one who told Trion to pull the plug on Petro and bring it in-house..

I did work on End of Nations for quite a while but, obviously, can't comment on the move taking it internal.  I moved over to Defiance in the last 6 months before launch.

Also, that Angry Joe video was put up just about 4 days after launch.  We have made a few improvements since then although there are always more to make.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #574 on: July 29, 2013, 01:26:50 PM

Does Schild still make names red?

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #575 on: July 29, 2013, 08:40:12 PM

Does Schild still make names red?

I think only if they survive.

Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #576 on: July 30, 2013, 07:30:59 AM

Why would you want a red name?  Seems counter-productive to anything a dev would hope to get out of posting here.
Pendan
Terracotta Army

Reply #577 on: July 30, 2013, 01:25:52 PM

Their patcher sucked so bad that it would take the full 72 hours for them to even get you in the game.
Took me about 60 hours to download because the patcher would fail regularly and then on restart would lose progress (has to do with downloading 4 files at once and not being able to restart any files from where it left off if you error or purposely quit out). The 72 hour limit was not that big of deal though because only took a couple hours of play to get to the max 200 whatever they call it points where character can not advance anymore in the trial. You also limited to the first two area just like the open beta weekend. Those two limits mean it is really silly to have just a 3 day time limit. A longer time would not mean you could actually do all that much more.
Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #578 on: August 01, 2013, 04:00:23 PM

I thought only baseball players got red names?
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #579 on: August 02, 2013, 09:32:23 AM

Oooh, I'll have to start actively watching this thread now eh?   Popcorn
Release the hounds!!!!!!!

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Chockonuts
Terracotta Army

Reply #580 on: August 02, 2013, 12:07:40 PM

Oooh, I'll have to start actively watching this thread now eh?   Popcorn
Release the hounds!!!!!!!
Wait until they put out their first promised DLC, then it might be. Until then, it's chuckles and grinnies reading about the state it's in.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #581 on: August 02, 2013, 07:38:15 PM

I was referring to the non-red named lurker dev. in the thread and his impending beatdown.  The game itself?  Not that interested.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #582 on: August 02, 2013, 07:50:02 PM

Where the hell is that DLC? The entire first season of the TV show has came and went. There wasn't any overlap in the game at all. Didn't someone somewhere say there was like ~15-20% overlap? Ha!
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #583 on: August 03, 2013, 05:01:03 AM

Not to mention that it seems like the only thing you get out of it is being able to grind through with a new character race.

Chockonuts
Terracotta Army

Reply #584 on: August 04, 2013, 11:08:58 PM

Where the hell is that DLC? The entire first season of the TV show has came and went. There wasn't any overlap in the game at all. Didn't someone somewhere say there was like ~15-20% overlap? Ha!
Yar, this guy did:

Defiance's Game-TV Crossover is Disappointing

“Around 75-80 percent of the show has nothing to do with the game, so perhaps only 25 percent has to crossover,” Nankin says. “Originally, we were rooting for horses, because it made sense to us in a post-apocalyptic world that people would get around by horse, but the game designers said ‘no we can’t do horses, sorry.’”
awesome, for real
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #585 on: August 05, 2013, 09:17:29 AM

This whole thread can been summed up by "we really should've made a Fallen Earth TV show instead."   

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #586 on: August 08, 2013, 06:07:16 PM

I don't think this link needs much explanation:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/09/trion-worlds-closing-defiances-san-diego-development-studio

I am not terribly surprised and suspect this will only further delay the DLC. I think Defiance is going to be the thing that kills Trion if they're not very careful.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #587 on: August 08, 2013, 11:47:30 PM

I don't think this link needs much explanation:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/09/trion-worlds-closing-defiances-san-diego-development-studio

I am not terribly surprised and suspect this will only further delay the DLC. I think Defiance is going to be the thing that kills Trion if they're not very careful.

..or they'll push out whatever they have ready to fulfil the season pass obligations (5 dlcs if I remember correctly) and put the game on bare minimal support staff wise until they can close it without too many objections.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #588 on: August 09, 2013, 03:30:19 AM

First they'll make the base game f2p, upgrades and the promised DLC available from the shop for new players. That's generally the initial attempt at resuscitation.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #589 on: August 11, 2013, 05:13:41 PM

So...

I rented this from Gamefly. It installed itself on my 360, then took about 30 mins to nab the game client. It then took another 45 minutes to patch.

I am still in the tutorial, I think. I am underwhelmed.

The last MMO to grab me was TSW, and I think my inherent no MMO on the console bias makes me like this even less.

On the upside, I can only quick chat.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #590 on: August 11, 2013, 05:28:01 PM

You can rent it?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #591 on: August 19, 2013, 12:19:57 AM

You can rent it?

360.  Its available on 360, PS3 and PC.  Separate servers for each platform.
Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #592 on: August 20, 2013, 03:36:47 PM

Now introducing, CASTITHANS, a completely new playable alien species that looks oddly human but with exciting space tribal tattoos!  Just once I want to see a new race be an amorphous blob of jelly.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #593 on: May 01, 2014, 09:58:22 AM

Free to play without a box cost coming in June to coincide with the second season of the tv series. Up to now, I gather they've half assed the expansion packs and they still haven't met their commitment for people who "subscribe" at launch.

Their scheme to link the reputation of the game to the show has worked though. The way the game has been treated has significantly soured me on the show. Probably not what they wanted.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #594 on: May 01, 2014, 10:59:07 AM

How's the show being received anyway? I stopped watching arounf episode 3, I was pretty much bored. But sometimes these things pick up later. I guess people don't hate it if it got a second season on top of not being canceled.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Syfy + Trion = Defiance MMO Action Shooter (PC 360 PS3)  
Jump to: