Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:18:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL 2011 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NFL 2011  (Read 378119 times)
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #2170 on: February 08, 2012, 07:04:10 PM

It was like 20 yards from the closest guy!

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #2171 on: February 08, 2012, 07:12:04 PM

It was like 20 yards from the closest guy!

And the two closest guys were wearing white uniforms at that.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #2172 on: February 08, 2012, 07:43:00 PM

I don't remember it being that bad.  Maybe it was, but where the ball lands isn't necessarily an indicator of how close it was to being caught. 
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #2173 on: February 08, 2012, 07:56:11 PM

I don't remember it being that bad.  Maybe it was, but where the ball lands isn't necessarily an indicator of how close it was to being caught. 

There was NO ONE on the field who could possibly have caught that throw. Pretty sure Belichek was closer standing on the sidelines.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #2174 on: February 08, 2012, 07:58:32 PM

I'll try to go back and re-watch it. 

If so, that was a HUGE fuckup by Brady.  That safety cost them the game.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #2175 on: February 08, 2012, 08:08:48 PM

The throw was down the middle. The closest receiver was on a curl going the other way, about 20 yards away from the pass. I mean it's like he was throwing to the kickoff spot.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #2176 on: February 08, 2012, 08:23:48 PM

ELI'S intentional-grounding-safety versus the Falcons was dumb in a different way, he didn't manage to throw it past the line of scrimmage or something.  why so serious?

God Save the Horn Players
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #2177 on: February 08, 2012, 09:20:23 PM

Brady lost that game, not Welker.

All I'm saying is if you are a top receiver in the league, and you decently get two hands on it, you should catch the ball. Especially in clutch time.

All I'm saying is if you are a top quarterback in the league, and you decently get the ball off, you should throw it where the receiver can catch it.  Especially in clutch time.

Over and out.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #2178 on: February 08, 2012, 10:38:37 PM

I thought the Welker drop was mostly understandable (if out of character)...high, twisiting back shoulder catch.  Pretty high degree of difficulty...the throw was just as faulty as the catch.  I thought Hernandez and Branch made much worse drops, and I think both of theirs were on the last drive.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #2179 on: February 09, 2012, 06:20:54 AM

Hernandez's drop was the worst by far. In stride, with room, in both hands.

Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #2180 on: February 09, 2012, 07:03:50 AM

I agree Hernandez's drop was huge and on him, I appreciate Welker's drop because this prank gave me a laugh:

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #2181 on: February 09, 2012, 01:22:10 PM

Payton Manning is still unable to throw to his left.  He should probably just hang it up and retire while he's ahead.  It always pains me to see these guys drag it out 3-5 years past when they should be done.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2182 on: February 09, 2012, 01:25:13 PM

I hope he gets picked up as a QB coach by someone.  The knowledge in his brain needs to be tapped.

I wonder if he'll become the Ted Williams of football.  A gift for the game that he lacks the ability to pass along to others. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #2183 on: February 09, 2012, 01:32:51 PM

Terrible puns! That's a bad Nebu!

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2184 on: February 09, 2012, 01:42:32 PM

I can't imagine there are many teams that wouldn't jump at the chance to sign him even if he can't play in 2012 for no other than QB tutelage, with the upside being IF he can play, he's probably a significant upgrade from what they have. He'd just have to come WAY down on his salary demands, maybe have like $1-2 million in guaranteed money with a shitton of performance bonuses. Miami, San Fran, Washington, Arizona, Jacksonville, Minnesota, Seattle, Oakland (never happen if Palmer is still starting), Denver, Chicago, Tennessee (Hasselback is probably done as their starter), St. Louis would all benefit from his presence. The Jets and Baltimore would also benefit, but I think both Sanchez and Flacco would see it as an insult to have this guy come in and try to teach them how to win and possibly be waiting in the wings to take over. We can guarantee he won't show up  in New Orleans, New England, Green Bay, Detroit or the Giants camp, and he won't help running QB's like Freeman in Tampa or Vick in Philly. Dallas probably falls into the Baltimore category - if they bring in Manning, it's to take Romo's job.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2185 on: February 09, 2012, 01:45:28 PM

Do you think that having him as a tutor is worth enough to give up the roster spot for an injury replacement?   I could see that being valuable for Cinci, Detroit, and St. Louis as their young QB's have some serious upside potential. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #2186 on: February 09, 2012, 02:03:42 PM

There's only a couple viable teams I could see him signing for:

The Jets - Sanchez blows, but the rest of the team is solid, except for that clubhouse cancer WR.
Houston - Schaub has 1 year left, and he's not exactly gangbusters on that squad even with all the talent. A 70% Peyton Manning could win 10 games there.
Chicago - The Bears need a QB who can do something to do along with Forte. They could be a playoff squad with Manning.
San Fran - Smith comes up on Free Agency. How much money will you risk vs. a risk on someone else? That team is otherwise ready to roll.

Peyton wants to be on a team that has a chance to win right now. He could give fuckall about the money if it means going to Miami, Washington, or Arizona where he'll have zero chance at a Super Bowl.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #2187 on: February 09, 2012, 02:12:29 PM

Pretty sure there's not a chance that he ends up here, unless Harbaugh gets overruled, and who is going to overrule him after that season?

And we're definitely not 'otherwise ready to roll'. We have like no wide receivers at all.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #2188 on: February 09, 2012, 02:22:37 PM

Tennessee has already said "No thanks".
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #2189 on: February 09, 2012, 03:04:21 PM

I can't imagine there are many teams that wouldn't jump at the chance to sign him even if he can't play in 2012 for no other than QB tutelage, with the upside being IF he can play, he's probably a significant upgrade from what they have. He'd just have to come WAY down on his salary demands, maybe have like $1-2 million in guaranteed money with a shitton of performance bonuses. Miami, San Fran, Washington, Arizona, Jacksonville, Minnesota, Seattle, Oakland (never happen if Palmer is still starting), Denver, Chicago, Tennessee (Hasselback is probably done as their starter), St. Louis would all benefit from his presence. The Jets and Baltimore would also benefit, but I think both Sanchez and Flacco would see it as an insult to have this guy come in and try to teach them how to win and possibly be waiting in the wings to take over. We can guarantee he won't show up  in New Orleans, New England, Green Bay, Detroit or the Giants camp, and he won't help running QB's like Freeman in Tampa or Vick in Philly. Dallas probably falls into the Baltimore category - if they bring in Manning, it's to take Romo's job.

I believe he's already said that he'll be very flexible with the salary structure.  I'm not sure if he'll be flexible with the amount, however.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #2190 on: February 09, 2012, 03:07:22 PM

Chicago - The Bears need a QB who can do something to do along with Forte. They could be a playoff squad with Manning.

I haven't been paying a huge amount of attention to Chicago, but do they have an o-line worth a shit yet? If not, I imagine the last thing you want to put behind it is a dude with a manky neck.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2191 on: February 09, 2012, 03:07:37 PM

Normally, I'd say you don't give up the roster spot for a tutor. But it's Peyton Fucking Manning. That's not just any old tutor, the motherfucker was pretty much a de facto on field offensive coordinator for the last decade. The shit he could teach would melt most QB's brains.

I forgot about Cincy. He'd be a good fit there, except well, Mike Brown is a tightwad cumbucket, so that'll never happen. Peyton will pretty much have the leverage in any negotiation because if there aren't at least 10 teams he COULD sign for (not would but could), all he's got to do is say "X of GTFO."

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #2192 on: February 09, 2012, 03:09:51 PM

I don't think they'd want to reward Dalton for that awesome season by bringing in Peyton and saying 'ok now sit.'

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #2193 on: February 09, 2012, 03:12:42 PM

You're making the assumption that he's going to be good at coaching.  Not everyone who plays well teaches well. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #2194 on: February 09, 2012, 03:21:10 PM

Pretty sure there's not a chance that he ends up here, unless Harbaugh gets overruled, and who is going to overrule him after that season?

And we're definitely not 'otherwise ready to roll'. We have like no wide receivers at all.

I put almost no stock in wide receivers, good or otherwise. An outstanding QB will create "good receivers" with few exceptions. Give me a good TE set, two passable WRs, and an outstanding QB? Winner, winner.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #2195 on: February 09, 2012, 03:24:47 PM

Worked for the Patriots.

Oh wait.  awesome, for real

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #2196 on: February 09, 2012, 03:26:48 PM

I just don't get why they thought two aging has-beens and a glorified slot receiver could be their vertical threats.  Even with Gronk, they don't scare anyone deep.

-Rasix
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #2197 on: February 09, 2012, 03:44:38 PM

Worked for the Patriots.

Oh wait.  awesome, for real

It got them to the Super Bowl. I'd love to say that for my Cowboys, even if they lost. It worked for the Packers. It worked for Drew Brees. It works all over the board.

The only difference is that the 49ers also have an amazing Defense, which is what those other teams lack.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #2198 on: February 09, 2012, 03:54:18 PM

Our WRs are all either injury prone, terrible, or both. I mean really really bad. I expect us to pick at least 2 up in the draft, and go after one of the big name free agent WRs as well.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #2199 on: February 09, 2012, 03:57:48 PM

I just don't get why they thought two aging has-beens and a glorified slot receiver could be their vertical threats.  Even with Gronk, they don't scare anyone deep.

They remind me a lot of the Spurs in basketball.  They are able to pound almost everyone in the regular season due to being top notch at planning and execution, but their athleticism, or lack thereof, is starting to show. 
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2200 on: February 09, 2012, 04:16:34 PM

You're making the assumption that he's going to be good at coaching.  Not everyone who plays well teaches well. 

Hence my Ted Williams comment above.  tongue

-  Mark Twain
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #2201 on: February 09, 2012, 05:28:33 PM

I'm really not all that familiar with Williams.  I'm not much of a baseball guy.  I would wager, however, that most really good players make shitty coaches. 
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #2202 on: February 09, 2012, 10:25:32 PM

I didn't see a lot of Manning-like qualities in Curtis Painter (you'd thinking that something would have at least rubbed off), so at the very least I suspect that he might not be too into teaching someone while he is on the active roster.  He wants to play.  That might make him a bit bitter and petty about such things.

I would like to hear him as an analyst. Get him and Justin Timerberlake to replace Gruden and Jaws on the ESPN cast.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #2203 on: February 10, 2012, 06:10:19 AM

Peyton might be a better coach when he's not gunning for the QB job. He has no interest in training his replacement. Neither did Favre.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #2204 on: February 10, 2012, 06:22:16 AM

Name some top flight players that have gone on to be coaches.  If there are any, they are likely defensive players or linemen, but even those guys aren't typically heading into coaching.  It doesn't happen in basketball either.  I'm not sure about baseball, but I don't think Whitey Herzog or Tommy LaRussa were all stars.  I know that Francona played and so did Scioscia, but neither one do I remember as a Favre or Manning star type player.  I don't think players of Manning's caliber are built to be coaches.  To be a coach you have to be able to let someone else do what needs to be done, and very competitive, legendary quality players have difficulty letting this happen. 
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL 2011  
Jump to: