Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 08:13:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL 2011 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 64 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NFL 2011  (Read 387611 times)
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #2065 on: February 05, 2012, 08:14:05 PM

I'm surprised you can even type at this point, JC.  

Also, I suppose that this ends any discussion of how shitty Eli is.   Ohhhhh, I see.

Gets worse....  before the game, we decided to pick something ridiculous to chug a beer.  We decided on?  A safety.  FUUUUUCCCCCKKKKK.
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #2066 on: February 05, 2012, 08:43:51 PM

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2067 on: February 05, 2012, 10:34:33 PM

Oh good another reason to hate the Patriots Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2068 on: February 05, 2012, 10:37:23 PM

I'm surprised you can even type at this point, JC.  

Also, I suppose that this ends any discussion of how shitty Eli is.   Ohhhhh, I see.
I was actually looking at his stats after the game and man I didn't realize just how mediocre his career stats have been so far. He had a great year this season but we'll have to wait and see if next season he reverts back to his previous form or if he's really a better QB now.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #2069 on: February 05, 2012, 11:03:05 PM

Yeah, right.  Just like if the Giants lose their opener next year, some people will be calling for Coughlin's head.

It's part of the fanbase's charm.

Also:

awesome, for real awesome, for real awesome, for real awesome, for real awesome, for real awesome, for real

God Save the Horn Players
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #2070 on: February 06, 2012, 12:18:01 AM

Oh. Fuck. Yeah.

As a Jet fan, I have to hate the Giants. Of course, as a New Yorker, I hate Boston even more. Enemy of my enemy and all that shit.

Did anyone else notice Brady seemed to be wearing eyeliner?

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #2071 on: February 06, 2012, 12:24:08 AM

I have always been amused by the Jets/Giants dynamic. Every Jets fan I know (except my mother) HATES the Giants and their fans. Giants fans, on the other hand, barely remember the Jets exist outside of any games they happen to play against them. It's this totally one-sided hatred, and I can't say I blame the Jets fans, but it is adorable.  Heart

I always feel warmly towards the Jets, personally, even when they are SUPER OBNOXIOUS (Rex Ryan is an asshole, see). I find them utterly impossible to hate.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #2072 on: February 06, 2012, 12:44:08 AM

Well, the Jet fan hatred comes, more-or-less from the fact that a lot of Giants fans tend to hear you're a Jet fan and then laugh at how sorry the team has been since pretty much '69 and laugh at you for being a fan of such a sorry team.

I don't really -hate- the Giants, but it's required in the contract I sign that I at least have to profess to hate them occasionally. And like I said, any team the can repeatedly humiliate the Pats in the Super Bowl does definitely get points in my book.

And yes, Rex is an asshole, but it's a motivational tactic that seemed to work for a couple of years, until he started going soft on his players and not holding them accountable for a litany of fuckups this season.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #2073 on: February 06, 2012, 12:48:30 AM

I would more expect a condescending sort of, "Aww, you root for the Jets? That's adorable!" sort of thing than straight up mirth. Still a reason to hate, of course.  Heart

The worst part for the Jets, I assume, is they get a bunch of spillover "GRAAAH I HATE NEW YORK TEEEEEEEEAMS" hate from people who don't understand that the only reason New Yorkers don't consider the Jets THE red-headed stepchild of New York Sports Teams is because the Islanders still exist (and the Mets probably beat out the Jets too).

taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #2074 on: February 06, 2012, 01:02:04 AM

Wish this was mine...

Also, I think Surly's description of the Jets/Giants rivalry is accurate, except maybe for the Meadowlands football stadium previously being named "Giants Stadium". I too am a Jets fan, and the constant harassment from the Giants fans used to also include "Why do the Jets play in Giants Stadium? They can't even get their own field". Now that it's MetLife stadium, that isn't as much of a problem, and I was a fan since they played in Shea Stadium (which was also where I first saw the Jets play).
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 03:44:30 AM by taolurker »

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #2075 on: February 06, 2012, 06:20:25 AM

Giants won the game because they had the more balanced team. Which again, reminds us that all the looooooove about "Year of the Quarterback" bullshit is exactly that. Bullshit. If you have a solid defense, a quality running game, great special teams, and a QB that doesn't make mistakes? You will beat teams in the NFL. There's no one facet of the game you can ignore and hope to be successful. The Patriots ignored their defense, and it cost them in the long run yet again.

Also, any time your D can get 2 sacks, 5 tackles for loss, and 7 pass deflections? Yeah, you're going to shut down an offense for the most part.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2076 on: February 06, 2012, 08:50:29 AM

I think they may well have been one of the most boring Super Bowls I've watched since San Fran put up 55 points against Denver. I never really doubted the Giants would win for some reason. Goddamn you, Football Gods, for making me have to acknowledge Eli Manning as one of football's greats (even though neither of his Super Bowl wins have been that great statistically). He has shown a tremendous amount of poise in the big games and that counts for a lot. Until the Blackburn interception and the Manningham catch on the sidelines, there really wasn't anything in the game to get too excited about. It was a well-coached, well-played game, it was just boring. The Pats receivers forgetting how to catch the ball was a nice bit of  why so serious? .

The officiating was SO GODDAMN BAD. Look, I understand for the Super Bowl, you want to let players play so that the flow of the game isn't constantly interrupted by ticky-tack pass interference calls. Now, how about you keep those rules in place for the REST OF THE GODDAMN SEASON, YOU MOTHERFUCKING MUPPETS. Seriously, there were at least 3 no-calls that would have been spot fouls during the regular season, so why aren't they called now? Because the game is on the biggest TV stage of all? Fuck you. Be consistent.

Most of the commercials were unmemorable and uninteresting. GoDaddy needs to die in a car fire. We get it, TITS. Fuck off. It wasn't that interesting the first time you did it, how many years has it been? And what happened to Budweiser? They haven't had relevant ads in a decade. Here We Go was about the only interesting Bud commercial out there. And fuck you, GE for your manipulative heart-warming bullshit. Pay some goddamn corporate taxes, you fucks, then you can gush about how you are changing lives. Fuckheads.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #2077 on: February 06, 2012, 08:56:55 AM

In case you needed another reason to want to see Tom Brady die in a car fire-
http://deadspin.com/5880019/tom-brady-gave-all-his-teammates-uggs-to-celebrate-their-super-bowl-appearance

Speaking of which, there was a huge poster of Brady's smugly mug wearing his shitty sponsor boots in the Ugg store on 58th between 5th and Madison. That poster was mysteriously absent this morning, with only some shreds of paper stuck to the now blank space where the poster hung.

Outlawedprod
Terracotta Army

Reply #2078 on: February 06, 2012, 09:47:05 AM

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/7546795/tom-brady-wife-gisele-bundchen-blasts-new-england-patriots-receivers

Unfortunately no one appears to have got her excuse for why Brady committed intentional grounding while in the end zone.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #2079 on: February 06, 2012, 09:48:44 AM

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/7546795/tom-brady-wife-gisele-bundchen-blasts-new-england-patriots-receivers

Unfortunately no one appears to have got her excuse for why Brady committed intentional grounding while in the end zone.

Incoming Yoko Ono syndrome!

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2080 on: February 06, 2012, 09:54:59 AM

I really thought that intentional grounding call was a bit dubious. As in "maybe that's what the rule says but... REALLY?"

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #2081 on: February 06, 2012, 09:59:16 AM

No one really seemed to argue.  It was so blatantly obvious. It was a nice deep ball, I'll give him that.

Glad the Giants won.  But I haven't really been an active Giants fan since high school. College turned me into a homer.

And in great, common sense inspired news, it looks like they're pondering killing off the Pro Bowl.  About fucking time.

-Rasix
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2082 on: February 06, 2012, 10:00:02 AM

I have always been amused by the Jets/Giants dynamic. Every Jets fan I know (except my mother) HATES the Giants and their fans. Giants fans, on the other hand, barely remember the Jets exist outside of any games they happen to play against them. It's this totally one-sided hatred, and I can't say I blame the Jets fans, but it is adorable.  Heart

I always feel warmly towards the Jets, personally, even when they are SUPER OBNOXIOUS (Rex Ryan is an asshole, see). I find them utterly impossible to hate.

So true.  I don't hate the Jets, I actually root for them if I see them playing.  Yet the Jets have such a little brother complex it's incredible.   awesome, for real
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #2083 on: February 06, 2012, 10:09:29 AM

I really thought that intentional grounding call was a bit dubious. As in "maybe that's what the rule says but... REALLY?"

Nothing dubious about it. You can't just fling the ball down the field to get rid of pressure.

Then again, it really had no profound outcome on the game. The reality was that Brady was having to move around way too much due to pressure, he was getting his passes knocked down, and his receivers didn't make catches down the stretch.

Also, I don't think the officiating was bad. I hate the pass interference call in the NFL as it stands. Just because you can see the half a second contact on slo-mo doesn't mean it should get a call. In fact, I think that the rules are so stacked against the corners with the bullshit "illegal contact" 5 yard rule, that you need to give them more leeway on the back end. The only thing I thought the refs might have missed was a few obvious holding calls on the Pats down the stretch, but that was mainly because the refs weren't going to call anything except running 12 out on the field.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #2084 on: February 06, 2012, 10:11:37 AM

Because he didnt want to get strip-sacked in the endzone by the best past rushing defense in the NFL maybe?  Ohhhhh, I see.
Personally I believe it was the smarter play.  Regardless, between Tuck lining him up and JPP bearing down on him it's likely there would have been a sack anyways.  Why risk the fumble-touchdown?

The only alternative he had was to curl up into a ball like a little bitch and take the safety that way.  But really?  Who's gonna do that at the superbowl in front of billions?  I'd rather take my chances with the refs.

As for his bitchy wife, she should've been complaining at the coaching staff for having a slow slot-midget (welker) run a fly route down the seam and expect him to run under and jumpcatch an overthrown Brady bomb.  Sure, he does it occasionally but the odds are better with an Ochocinco... who shoud've seen more action the way the game was shaping up.  The G-men had Welker and the middle of the field largely contained, and with Gronk injured it made no sense to keep chugging away at the usual strategy.  It really was a game Ocho (or Branch even) shoulda seen more touches.

I hate the Pats, glad they lost.  But they really deserved to lose this one even though technically they should've won.  Lot of close plays that would've likely ended it for the Giants (lost fumbles, missed catches, etc.).

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #2085 on: February 06, 2012, 10:13:19 AM

Then again, it really had no profound outcome on the game.

Well, take away 2 points and the patriots can try to get into field goal range on the last drive instead of needing a touchdown. 
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #2086 on: February 06, 2012, 10:16:26 AM

I am surprised no one is talking about Bradshaw trying NOT to get a touchdown.  Yes, I know what he was trying to do, but this is fucking FOOTBALL, not chess.  If you can get in the endzone, you get in the damn endzone.

I have never played WoW.
WayAbvPar

Reply #2087 on: February 06, 2012, 10:18:35 AM

I disagree. If he goes down at the one foot line, they can run the clock down as far as they want, and there is no chance for a tipped Hail Mary TD.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #2088 on: February 06, 2012, 10:19:25 AM

I don't like putting the game in the hands of a kicker.  Ideally, you want New England to burn that last time out, but I think your chances better with the touchdown.

This is brought to you by someone that had to watch his team lose a rivalry game 2 years ago because of two blocked extra points. Fucking kickers.

-Rasix
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #2089 on: February 06, 2012, 10:19:50 AM

Then again, it really had no profound outcome on the game.

Well, take away 2 points and the patriots can try to get into field goal range on the last drive instead of needing a touchdown. 

It was the first offensive play of the game for the Patriots. It's too far away from what happened at the end to say it had almost any real effect. I can point to the fact that they had to kick a FG from the 11 rather than getting a TD as a bigger cause. Or throwing a 4th quarter interception. Or the Wes Welker drop.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2090 on: February 06, 2012, 10:20:53 AM

I am surprised no one is talking about Bradshaw trying NOT to get a touchdown.  Yes, I know what he was trying to do, but this is fucking FOOTBALL, not chess.  If you can get in the endzone, you get in the damn endzone.
You could say the same about letting him score.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #2091 on: February 06, 2012, 10:24:25 AM

Because he didnt want to get strip-sacked in the endzone by the best past rushing defense in the NFL maybe?  Ohhhhh, I see.
Personally I believe it was the smarter play.  Regardless, between Tuck lining him up and JPP bearing down on him it's likely there would have been a sack anyways.  Why risk the fumble-touchdown?

The only alternative he had was to curl up into a ball like a little bitch and take the safety that way.  But really?  Who's gonna do that at the superbowl in front of billions?  I'd rather take my chances with the refs.

As for his bitchy wife, she should've been complaining at the coaching staff for having a slow slot-midget (welker) run a fly route down the seam and expect him to run under and jumpcatch an overthrown Brady bomb.  Sure, he does it occasionally but the odds are better with an Ochocinco... who shoud've seen more action the way the game was shaping up.  The G-men had Welker and the middle of the field largely contained, and with Gronk injured it made no sense to keep chugging away at the usual strategy.  It really was a game Ocho (or Branch even) shoulda seen more touches.

I hate the Pats, glad they lost.  But they really deserved to lose this one even though technically they should've won.  Lot of close plays that would've likely ended it for the Giants (lost fumbles, missed catches, etc.).

Wow.  Good to see you are consistently an insane person.
WayAbvPar

Reply #2092 on: February 06, 2012, 10:25:01 AM

I don't like putting the game in the hands of a kicker.  Ideally, you want New England to burn that last time out, but I think your chances better with the touchdown.

This is brought to you by someone that had to watch his team lose a rivalry game 2 years ago because of two blocked extra points. Fucking kickers.

Doesn't necessarily have to be a kick- you can make them burn the timeout and then run another play. Unless of course it was 3rd down...I was watching from a poker table, so some of the specifics escaped me. Tynes has been money on big kicks though, and that is even closer than a PAT. But in general, I agree- playing for a kick is dangerous.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #2093 on: February 06, 2012, 10:36:48 AM

I disagree. If he goes down at the one foot line, they can run the clock down as far as they want, and there is no chance for a tipped Hail Mary TD.

Tactically it makes sense but it is loser thinking.  I am glad Bradshaw couldn't stop himself.

I have never played WoW.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #2094 on: February 06, 2012, 10:40:46 AM

Tactically it makes sense but it is loser thinking.  I am glad Bradshaw couldn't stop himself.

Reports are that Coughlin wanted a touchdown anyway, and Eli yelled at him not to score AS he handed the ball off.    why so serious?

Seriously, I think score the points and play defense. 
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #2095 on: February 06, 2012, 10:53:19 AM

Ask Harbaugh of the Ravens what the better strategy is.   awesome, for real

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #2096 on: February 06, 2012, 10:56:31 AM

Yea that whole "Let them Score!" from the Pats and the "No no Don't score!" from the Giants was really bizarre to me.

It wasn't like the game was some wild west shootout, the Giants D had been handling the Patriots pretty darn well for most of that game.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2097 on: February 06, 2012, 11:02:07 AM

Ask Harbaugh of the Ravens what the better strategy is.   awesome, for real
That was the thought primary in my mind. There's a case for running out the clock, but I think he handled it really well. Paused to run down a couple seconds, but didn't let the Pats hit him and risk a turn-over.

Chad Johnson should have had the ball WAY more.

Giants D should've been MVP.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #2098 on: February 06, 2012, 11:13:25 AM

The media continues to focus on the wrong things about this game. Eli gets the MVP and the throw to Manningham gets all the airplay and kudos.

Bear in mind that the Manningham catch was a 1st down throw. And the fact that during the last drive the Patriots "defense" didn't even force a freaking 3rd down conversion. The Pats were so awful on that side of the ball, that they knew they had to let the Giants score just to get a chance.

The deep ball interception in the 4th quarter was the best play of the game, imo, and it turned the tide.

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #2099 on: February 06, 2012, 11:22:58 AM

From an MSN article:

Coach Tom Coughlin insisted ''the prize'' was still within reach. [/quote}

I keep giggling because I picture Belicheck and Coughlin sword-fighting in the parking lot, as there can be only one.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 64 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL 2011  
Jump to: