Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:57:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Update 3: Lost Legends of Eriador 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Update 3: Lost Legends of Eriador  (Read 38428 times)
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

on: May 13, 2011, 02:09:09 PM

More Slots! - Two new Cosmetic Outfits slots are available up to a total of five slots

Reset your Skirmish Marks! - Using this scroll will refund all skirmish marks you have spent on skirmish traits.

Get more Criticals at the relic forge! - The Scroll of Combination increases your 'Critical Success' chance to 25% while combining relics at the relic forge.

And other updates:

•The skirmish Reconnaissance Report now lasts 60 minutes instead of 15!
•Try the new Combat Run Speed Boost, and sprint while in combat!

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 02:13:55 PM

Skirmish reset is A+.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 03:17:32 PM

Skirmish reset is A+.

Thinking about this, aren't the costs for ranks different depending on YOUR level - ie it costs more marks to raise a skirmish soldier above your level than it would if you leveled up first and then leveled the soldier? If I am remembering that right then it gets an extra plus to A++, since it means that those extra marks I paid back when I was keeping my skirmish buddy several levels above me aren't 'lost forever'.

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 07:30:01 PM

Skirmish reset is A+.

Thinking about this, aren't the costs for ranks different depending on YOUR level - ie it costs more marks to raise a skirmish soldier above your level than it would if you leveled up first and then leveled the soldier? If I am remembering that right then it gets an extra plus to A++, since it means that those extra marks I paid back when I was keeping my skirmish buddy several levels above me aren't 'lost forever'.

Quick answer - yes.  If you overpaid you will get the cost back.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 09:08:27 PM

More Slots! - Two new Cosmetic Outfits slots are available up to a total of five slots.

They were up to five in the last update - you unlocked the final two in the store.

Does this mean I'm going to get seven slots, or angry?

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 05:43:57 AM

More Slots! - Two new Cosmetic Outfits slots are available up to a total of five slots.

They were up to five in the last update - you unlocked the final two in the store.

Does this mean I'm going to get seven slots, or angry?

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 02:14:18 PM

No date for this yet as far as I can tell. I want to reset my points!

EDIT: Never mind, May 23rd!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 03:03:29 PM by Ingmar »

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 10:21:26 PM

- Henry Cobb
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 04:34:44 AM

No date for this yet as far as I can tell. I want to reset my points!

EDIT: Never mind, May 23rd!

Link?  Don't toy with my emotions, son.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 07:48:08 AM

Thats' a fancy update right there that is.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 04:51:48 PM

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 06:41:25 AM

"Once you head down into the instance proper, you'll encounter a strange man named Umin. Umin's an upgraded type of NPC in the game; not only will he answer questions and follow you around if asked, but he'll offer up different dialogue options depending on where you are.

Umin's only the tip of the mystery, as he's standing next to a riddle door. Just as the Fellowship had to answer a riddle to get into Moria, so too will you need to answer correctly to pass on through. I was told that there are a whopping 83 riddles, each of which requires a correct emote to solve -- if you give the wrong answer three times in a row, the door switches to a new riddle. The two doors I encountered weren't that difficult, although it might be tricky if you're not used to the laundry list of emotes available for the game. And before you ask, yes, there is a deed for answering all 83 correctly.

Barry said that the Inn of the Forsaken was definitely inspired by Dungeons and Dragons Online's own instances, especially in regard to traps and puzzles. This isn't an instance that you can brute-force your way through; cunning, attention to details, and teamwork are far more important."

Thats rather awesome.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 06:44:09 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 06:52:20 AM

Thats rather awesome.

A pity soloers will never ever get to see it.

- Henry Cobb
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 06:56:07 AM

Thats rather awesome.

Underlevel the instance.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 07:04:58 AM

Thats rather awesome.

Sure they will, right after they join a group.

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #15 on: May 17, 2011, 12:25:10 PM

There's a lot of good things Turbine has done with F2P.  But personally, I don't think new instances since Vol.3.2? were needed.  There's a metric ton of instances already in the game that people are not playing -- witness, DN, Forges, 6th Hall or whatever.  The last round of instances with the new raid should be satisfying people.  The point about satisfying soloers is misleading -- the older instances need either revamping or new incentives for players to run them.  There are literally, 2 dozen+ quests for GS, but people rarely do anything but speed run 1/6th the place for tokens.  The exact same for spider and drake wings of Helgorod.  When did you ever hear of someone finishing the Blind One or Mistress?  I'd rather see some compromise to incent people to run old instances before creating new ones.  And I don't think making them solo skirmishes is necessary.  Just something like a new deed, or a token-for-a-token.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: May 18, 2011, 12:57:42 AM

- Henry Cobb
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: May 18, 2011, 06:29:31 AM

Remedial my ass. :)

The insistence that ALL content must be soloable is false. This title already has more than enough for solo users as it is, adding 2 three man, and a bunch of skirmishes ( The best kind of solo instance) is not and unacceptable situation.

In fact: Slide #64 "Alone is the default state of an MMO player, whether if be for minutes and months, and the game should embrace that.  But making a massively single player game isn’t the answer."

Me personally, group is about the largest content I ever really care to do, time commitment wise, and social needs wise. However, I enjoy being in a guild, simply for my chatty nature. Raids have never been a want, interest or good requirement for content for me. Anyone who has ever played with me can attest to this.

The low time investment and small group or half group content is likely why I played this title so long.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 06:35:45 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: May 18, 2011, 06:51:36 AM

Kind of unrelated, but has lotro added some kind of lfg system? [the search interface doesn't count, unless they significantly improved it since I last played ~2009 :p]

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: May 18, 2011, 07:17:32 AM

The insistence that ALL content must be soloable is false.

I admit this one particularly puzzles me because we're talking about a pair of skirmishes. There's currently only one skirmish that doesn't scale for solo - Survival on the Barrow Downs. Even the Rift skirmishes with their nifty Fellowship Maneuver mechanics have a solo option. If the object is to keep people subscribed until Isengard with a slow trickle of content, why exclude soloers from half the new content in this patch?

- Henry Cobb
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: May 18, 2011, 07:27:23 AM

Because the insistence that ALL content must be soloable is false.

I swear... it's right there and it's true. I'm as anti-social in these games as they come. I hate pugging. I don't have much time anymore. But not all games and not all things are for all people.

And, really, if someone gets huffy over the game that arguably has the richest solo experience of any MMO then maybe that person doesn't really like MMOs anymore. Play a Mount and Blade mod. It's a better game and bigger to boot.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: May 18, 2011, 07:31:27 AM

I admit this one particularly puzzles me because we're talking about a pair of skirmishes. There's currently only one skirmish that doesn't scale for solo - Survival on the Barrow Downs. Even the Rift skirmishes with their nifty Fellowship Maneuver mechanics have a solo option. If the object is to keep people subscribed until Isengard with a slow trickle of content, why exclude soloers from half the new content in this patch?

Likely because they are taking a balanced approach? Its not like they don't add solo content, or have not spent the last year or so converting a great chunk of things to have the option..

Your kinda still arguing that all content must be solo. I'm not sure if that because of your design philosophy, or because you want to play the new stuff personally. At the end of the day though, can a three man really be considered as un-pugable as a full group or raid? Is it even comparable?

« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 07:34:25 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: May 18, 2011, 07:35:06 AM

Your kinda still arguing that all content must be solo.

I'm arguing that marquee content you intend to keep people playing the game should be soloable. Epic Quests, content drip-feed, that sort of thing.

You want to cast as wide a net as possible with this stuff, not cater exclusively to small portions of the playerbase.

EDIT: And people who are willing to PUG are also a "smaller portion" of the playerbase. Some people don't like playing with strangers, some people don't like playing with random (possible) idiots.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 07:38:38 AM by Stormwaltz »

- Henry Cobb
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: May 18, 2011, 07:36:28 AM

Your kinda still arguing that all content must be solo.

I'm arguing that marquee content you intend to keep people playing the game should be soloable. Epic Quests, content drip-feed, that sort of thing.

You want to cast as wide a net as possible with this stuff, not cater exclusively to small portions of the playerbase.

Did you see the last addition? The one that was ONLY 2 months ago? While I agree to your point, I think your assessment in this instance is off, or greatly exaggerated.

EDIT: And people who are willing to PUG are also a "smaller portion" of the playerbase. Some people don't like playing with strangers, some people don't like playing with random (possible) idiots.

+2 > +5, + 11, + 24!

TBH, once they went F2P, they have been REALLY good about giving people what they want, this means all people. They clearly know that solo, half group and skirmishes are where people are.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 07:41:50 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: May 18, 2011, 07:58:11 AM

I'm willing to pug, heck I like pugging for the  awesome, for real ACK! why so serious? factor [I leveled a character through dungeon finder exclusively from 10-85 in wow]. The problem is that I play on a low-pop server (Silverlode) at Euro primetime; I did some solo skirmishes yesterday and the /who list showed maybe 15 people total -- none of them near my level. I can group with guildies sure.. only most of them don't play lotro anymore.

Anyway, back to my previous question: have they implemented a solid LFG interface yet, or are they planning to (doesn't even have to be fully automated dungeon finder, the pre-DF WOTLK lfg interface would be fine)? Somewhat related to this: is a sidekicking / mentoring system planned?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 08:00:05 AM by Zetor »

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: May 18, 2011, 08:18:01 AM

Nope. One solution the playerbase came up with is that several servers have a created channel for global lff. The one on Brandywine tends to be fairly well policed and useful.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: May 18, 2011, 08:20:32 AM

There haven't been any changes to the LFG tool for... a year? Maybe more? MBW may remember.

I'll just say this and leave the subject alone. As someone who solos exclusively, the last new content I experienced was Enedwaith and the Yule Festival. My main has been essentially idle for all of 2011. Since I mostly play my main, that means a lot more of my play time (and a lot more of my money) has been spent in STO and Rift. Critiquing my own behavior with my developer hat on, it's worrisome trend.

- Henry Cobb
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: May 18, 2011, 08:26:44 AM

There haven't been any changes to the LFG tool for... a year? Maybe more? MBW may remember.

I can't recall the last time they touched it, I haven't played in a good while. Due to being burned out on this type of game in general.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: May 18, 2011, 08:30:27 AM

You're doing your usual lame defense of the stupid group only content and you don't even play anymore?
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: May 18, 2011, 08:38:17 AM

You're doing your usual lame defense of the stupid group only content and you don't even play anymore?

I see nothing wrong with adding both in a balanced manner. As for the rest that your sentence imply, I have no idea what you are talking about. I'm not sure when I have ever been about "OMG you must group", usual? Um ok. You say that right after I explained my personal level of time investment.

To complain about this addition of two skirmishes and two 3 mans is a bit silly, considering the sheer multitude of solo content in the game ( That was also just added to ). Feel free to disagree, but if your going to come with insults, at least be factual.

The update adds two skirmishes and two 3 mans........ The end is near! OMG the game is only for raiders! They have abandoned the solo player!! Ohhhhh, I see.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 08:41:38 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: May 18, 2011, 08:48:33 AM

OMG the game is only for raiders! They have abandoned the solo player!! Ohhhhh, I see.

Ignoring your straw man, I've noticed that I play significantly less lately. From an average of 20 hours a week spent in LotRO in previous years, I'm down to 5-10 hours a week this year - and looking at my own pattern of play, that's mainly because there's nothing new for me to do with my main.

NON-EDIT: Here's my Raptr activity for the last week.

11 hrs: Star Trek Online
7 hrs: Rift
33 mins: The Lord Of The Rings Online
28 mins: Dungeons & Dragons Online

- Henry Cobb
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: May 18, 2011, 08:54:35 AM

Then your game is done. Congratulations, you won!

I know that you're making essentially an argument about economics rather than playstyle, that you don't want to shut anyone out if you're trying to make monies. But for you, the game is over until the do another patch with 75% solo content/25% group (which, by the way, is a better ratio than *any other game on the market*). It's okay.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: May 18, 2011, 08:55:16 AM

Ignoring your straw man

Please do, as it wasn't for you :)

I've noticed that I play significantly less lately. From an average of 20 hours a week spent in LotRO in previous years, I'm down to 5-10 hours a week this year - and looking at my own pattern of play, that's mainly because there's nothing new for me to do with my main.

NON-EDIT: Here's my Raptr activity for the last week.

11 hrs: Star Trek Online
7 hrs: Rift
33 mins: The Lord Of The Rings Online
28 mins: Dungeons & Dragons Online

I believe you, however does that mean that they should never add anything but solo content?  ( Other than the fact the entire second half of the story line is now solo, and all but one skirmish, and most quests are solo ) Is a three man such a stretch that its gets lumped into full group or raid time investments/Social issues?

Why do you oppose a balanced approach to additions? Considering this last one in question, did not even add the most inaccessible type for you? Your main is at max I assume, anything they add thats not top level, you likely wont do anyway ( Except the scalable content, that they just added ).

« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 08:56:56 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #33 on: May 18, 2011, 01:52:04 PM

LotRO is the only MMO my wife and I play, but free or not we're not playing atm.  She's busy in school, but isn't even tempted by the festivals.  And for me while i love PUGing in LotRO, none of the new instances really grab me (and I haven't done them all).  For good or ill the LI system seems like the only end game, and I'm just not jazzed enough to push an alt up as an alternative.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: May 18, 2011, 01:57:08 PM

We're basically just farting around on it, doing instances once weekly. Everyone's old now so it suits us.

Frankly, the new instances we've done so far are top notch except the one three man in the North Downs town. That one was overly simple and a little boring.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Update 3: Lost Legends of Eriador  
Jump to: