Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 04:26:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Gazillion's Marvel MMO - F2P, Play as existing Marvel characters only 0 Members and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 106 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gazillion's Marvel MMO - F2P, Play as existing Marvel characters only  (Read 892196 times)
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #140 on: June 09, 2013, 05:31:32 PM

I can happily report that Ms. Marvel's level 20 power, Photonic Regeneration, makes melee viable.  I can even hang out by the boss in event fights.  Why you have to wade through so many painful levels to get it I cannot say.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #141 on: June 10, 2013, 12:52:59 AM

Princess Sparklefists is up to 21 and on Strykers Fort or whatever it's called. There are roughly 20 billion mobs in every inch of that zone, including a endless supply of giant Sentinels. I ended up alb zerging with like 10-15 people for over an hour all over that place. Had to turn my graphics settings all the way down, having 50 stacking fields on my screen made my computer cry a lot.

The heal is a big help, it's especially good when I actually fight something that deals that fickle energy damage to me. I also got this Juggernaut badge that gives me a 2% chance when hit to receive 4 seconds of invulnerability. 2% doesn't sound like much, but when you have 50 jillion god damn mobs attacking, you basically become immortal.

I replaced Photon Blast with Stellar Beams for my right click. Same Damage, Same Range, roughly the same spirit cost but the Beams will go through ALL the enemies, instead of just stopping after hitting the first one. It's big downside is it has no synergy bonus with anything, so my Photonic Wave is losing a bit in theory. I may end up replacing Wave with Photonic Devastation though, I'll see how that power pans out.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #142 on: June 10, 2013, 09:56:18 AM

That's not a video game, that's a slot machine.

Or... Diablo.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: June 10, 2013, 12:09:43 PM

I have to say I'm surprised you even tried this, Fordel, given you have admitted to me in the past that whatever gene it is that makes people think Diablo-likes are fun is not present in you.

That's not a video game, that's a slot machine.

Or... Diablo.

Ohhhhh, I see.

why so serious?

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: June 10, 2013, 10:55:53 PM

Sparklefists is up to 24-25 now and in Dinosaur Land or something, I don't even know anymore. I got this new attack, Cosmic Haymaker, it makes every other single target attack I have utterly useless. It does roughly 3-5x's the damage of my next biggest single target attack and it stuns for 1-2 seconds AND it's cheaper resource cost wise.

It's just so bizarre, I have all these cool looking attacks, where she swoops around and blasts lasers and stuff, but mechanically they are mostly utter ass or self defeating.

I've basically paired down my attacks to my basic Photon Punch, Stellar Beam for range and now Cosmic Haymaker for anything that needs more then a few basic attacks. All the flying uppercuts into laser beams blasts? On the bench! Stringing together clever chains of attacks is substantially worse then just standing there like a doofus and using the same basic attack forever.

I'm hoping Photonic Devastation and Crashdown Strike are more useful.

Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: June 12, 2013, 07:26:31 AM

Playing Storm, level 12, so lots of running in circles while zapping people and wishing I had a decent AoE already. The group combat is basically run in circles when you have aggo and hold the button down the rest of the time. Someone had a lot of fun doing the environmental destruction animations, some of the tile sets are quite nice but the prices for more heroes are pretty extreme and it doesn't look like there's immense amounts of content.

It's competent, but in terms of game-play depth it feels almost like an upgraded flash game, it's so pared back to the basics. It's also a bit weird playing an X-man character when the story is all about the avengers.

It's somewhat fun, it makes me miss CoH, and I'm pretty sure it isn't going to offer much longevity.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: June 12, 2013, 07:57:14 AM

Cosmic Haymaker is crazy at 4-5 times the damage of my fully upgraded sparkle punch.

Crashdown Strike finally gives something flashy, but I wasn't too impressed with it due to the spirit cost.  Didn't try using it against a big group though, so it might shine in the AoE department.  Still waiting to find an item which gives Devastation to try it out.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #147 on: June 12, 2013, 08:06:31 AM

Really found this dull playing through the tutorial as the Thing.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: June 12, 2013, 12:32:20 PM

Playing Storm, level 12, so lots of running in circles while zapping people and wishing I had a decent AoE already. The group combat is basically run in circles when you have aggo and hold the button down the rest of the time. Someone had a lot of fun doing the environmental destruction animations, some of the tile sets are quite nice but the prices for more heroes are pretty extreme and it doesn't look like there's immense amounts of content.

It's competent, but in terms of game-play depth it feels almost like an upgraded flash game, it's so pared back to the basics. It's also a bit weird playing an X-man character when the story is all about the avengers.

It's somewhat fun, it makes me miss CoH, and I'm pretty sure it isn't going to offer much longevity.

As you progress the story, you do end up at the X-Mansion or whatever it's called, doing stuff for Xavier.

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #149 on: June 12, 2013, 12:37:13 PM

I was hoping to make it through the story and see dailies and try to get new heroes to drop but I can't handle it.

"Me am play gods"
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #150 on: June 12, 2013, 06:17:35 PM

Apparently a big patch tonight, I'll find the notes and dump em here whenever they show up.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #151 on: June 12, 2013, 10:27:40 PM

Paaaatch Notes: https://forum.marvelheroes.com/showthread.php/33093-Patch-Notes-Game-Update-Notes-6-13-2013-1-10-0-186

There's a lot there, will comment when I read them all in 50 years.

-edit- Trying to quick find info on your hero in a Marvel game when she's named Ms. Marvel is kinda a bitch  why so serious?

-edit2- The main thing here gameplay wise, is a serious re-balancing of defense it looks like. It's been literally doubled/quadrupled depending on hero.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 10:58:22 PM by Fordel »

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: June 13, 2013, 02:32:57 PM

Does the game have movement powers, like flying or super leaping?

Over and out.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #153 on: June 13, 2013, 03:16:51 PM

Not really. There is "flying" where you get an animation and can pass over some small obstacles but it's not really a travel power. Other than there are "dodge" and "charge" moves to help you run around in circles.

Flying in the context of an isometric game is pretty difficult to imagine.

- Simond
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: June 13, 2013, 04:29:54 PM

You can zoom around the screen pretty good with some powers though.

I am the .00000001428%
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #155 on: June 13, 2013, 06:28:36 PM

First using super jump in CoH beta is one of my top 10 favorite gaming moments.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: June 13, 2013, 06:48:52 PM

Yes, but they are limited by the topdown view a bit.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #157 on: June 13, 2013, 09:51:40 PM

Story Over, Doc Doom defeated, SparkleFists is 29. Just one more stupid level from 30 and my ULTIMATE POWAAAAR.

I've also finished 8 of 9 green daily dungeons or whatever, haven't tried the 9th yet, I'm pretty sure it will fuck me in the ass until I restock on Medpacks and maybe hit 30.

I got an item with Stellar Flare on it, since I'm not 30 yet. Stellar Flare is roughly 30 levels too late, it's basically the AE SparkleFists has needed since level 1. Crashdown strike in aerial at 28 is another 1 point wonder and costs way to much spirit to use regularly, but it's basically a superjump so I forgive it. Stellar Flare is where it's at though, 3 Second PBAE Channel that taunts all enemies onto you, gives you a minor defense boost, then explodes EVERYTHING.

Stellar Flare is to my other AE abilities, what Cosmic Haymaker is to my single target ones. You'll pretty much never use anything else once you get it. They just need to make Stellar Beam and Stellar Flare give each other synergy bonuses and that will be that.

Point wise I max:

Mighty Punch
Photon Punch
Cosmic Haymaker
Stellar Beam
Stellar Flare
Photonic Regeneration

Then I have 1 point in everything else for various bits of utility as needed.

I tend to favor Warbird Charge and Crashdown Strike for my mobility spells.

I find Flying lunge too short range and Evasive Blast fairly cumbersome, even though the 20% attack speed debuff/snare seems good on paper.

Cruising Altitude is just broken as far as I can tell, it's supposed to provide a movement speed bonus, but just doesn't currently. If I need to go 'over' an obstacle I just use Crashdown strike.

I favor Stellar Beam over Photonic Blast for my cheap ranged option, the target piercing on Beam is much more useful then the tiny AE on Blast. Doubly so if you can herd mobs into a line, which is not difficult with Warbird charge.

Photonic Wave looks cool, but costs way to much for what damage it does. It's still your only real AE for like 20 levels though. Photonic Devastation is... I dunno, its not BAD, but I don't care for the weird line channel AE spread thing it does. It has an odd range and area of effect.

I had a crap load of points in Energy Absorption at one point, then I respecced and didn't put any but the 1 it defaults with. Haven't noticed a difference either way. /shrug

RoundHouse kick is self defeating, small cone AE that knocks enemies out of it's own range. Uppercut blast is similar, but it's single target and decent enough damage for the 5 odd levels where you get it and don't have haymaker.

Defiant Escape is pretty much mandatory, I don't see how you'll survive the harder colors of dungeon without it really. I found it really great even in the story mode, because fuck those eyebeam stunning assholes.

I am told MightyPunch overtakes PhotonPunch in damage in the later levels, but I have no proof either way.

Kree Toughness, atm its a 1 pointer, but I imagine as they keep tweaking defense, they'll take a look at this talent and probably make it way more useful to sink points into.

I don't have it yet, but Ms. Marvel's ultimate, Binary whatever, is apparently one of the few ultimate's that doesn't blow chunks currently. Massive Passive PBAE DoT for enemies and HoT for allies for it's duration.

Photonic Regeneration is odd... when I HAVE Photonic Energy to spend, I am virtually immortal. When I don't, I am far far more restricted. Like, I basically brute forced my way through the last half dozen storymode bosses on the back of Cosmic Haymaker and Photonic Regeneration. Pretty sure it won't keep scaling up with mob damage though, then I'll probably be sad all the time. The need for photonic energy leads to odd behavior, like seeking out the fire to stand in, or leaving certain enemies for last just so you can store up more energy.

Overall, Ms. Marvel doesn't seem to be terribly powerful, but neither terribly underpowered either. There are definitely some spots where she struggles, like the odd 3-5 levels before you get your heal ability, but otherwise it's fairly smooth, if a bit dull at times. No idea if she keeps it up in the higher levels though.

I probably got my 10 bucks worth when I bought her, but probably not 20 bucks for her + costume. At least I have pants though!

Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #158 on: June 15, 2013, 11:55:53 PM

26 hours of play, a level 26 storm and now I could pay 10$ to do it in different clothing or 6-20$ to play the exact same content again... yeah, that's not happening. Heck, a lot of that time was running around very samey zones looking for the missing quest indicator or target (even had to reset one step and do it again).

My Storm ended up with a leap forward and leap back move (both slowing mobs in line) single target lighting bolt, AoE doing damage and stun and chain lightning for more AoE goodness. There's a build using a level 30 PBAoE but you won't see that level on your first play-through.

The tilesets are still nice, at time I was just wishing they were being used for a strategy game like an updated and not shit Jagged Alliance 2. The writing is pretty bad as are the pseudo comic cutscenes, the plot is silly and the gameplay is flashy, simple and repetitive. It sort of scratched the kill mobs and hunt for upgrades itch but it's not anything resembling a good game. Most of the boss battles were trivialized because I left on the "auto-group" feature so while the melee played catch with the boss I just nuked from range. The daily door missions were done at a run because high level characters trivialize them, know the layout and just want the completion token.

Warframe works better to keep you busy. I think because FPS is more fun and immersive than isometric and its upgrade scheme allows you to plot goals and see progress towards them. The marvel heroes equivalent is a lot of grinding to spin a wheel which might give you a hero you'd like to play the same content with. But I guess both games plan to make their money off those who must have all the options open to them and thus will reach for the credit card.

Hope they didn't spend too much because I think few will plan a long term involvement with the game.

- Simond
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #159 on: June 28, 2013, 04:19:55 AM

They are having a sale for the holidays: https://www.marvelheroes.com/news/news-articles/star-spangled-sale-has-begun

Nothing terribly exciting really.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #160 on: August 04, 2013, 05:50:49 PM

They had a big content Patch, new Hero (Human Torch) and a new way to end game, more of a open world roaming thing with random multi-boss events.

Considerably changes for many existing heroes as well, Ms. Marvel got some really big buffs and changes to her mechanics, it's all much smoother and clearer now. Her two main ranged attacks are now actual basic attacks, her secondary resource system is now generated from all damage, increased regen on energy damage and increased regen using energy damage powers. Entirely possible to make a full melee or full ranged or any mix of the two. Dramatically increased survivability as well.

They also changed how you get new heroes in game, instead of a random hero drop chance, you get little currency drops that you can spend on heroes and junk. It's still a fucking grindtastic grind, played for a couple hours, got around 10 of the currency. Need 200 for the cheapest hero.

Patch Notes:
https://marvelheroes.com/news/patch-notes/patch-notes-game-update-111

-edit-

Free respec key thing: https://forums.marvelheroes.com/discussion/8240/retcon-update-see-here/p1
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 12:37:40 AM by Fordel »

Shrike
Terracotta Army

Reply #161 on: August 05, 2013, 03:05:04 AM

...Ms. Marvel got some really big buffs and changes to her mechanics...

About time. The defensive buff helped some, but her skill trees were still...weird.

Guess I'll have to log in again and see how things stack up now.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #162 on: August 05, 2013, 03:11:57 PM

It's considerably better, all around.

They are going to buff her boss tanking some more in the next few patches too apparently.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: October 19, 2013, 08:19:30 AM

They been doing a pretty good job of making the game more fun and aren't afraid of handing out respecs pretty often to deal with the changes.

Most importantly, they have now added Squirrel Girl.  She is everything I hoped for and much, much more.

Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #164 on: October 20, 2013, 11:32:36 AM

When I first read the concept for this game I thought it was dumb - can't created my own hero?!  But I was wrong - if you like marvel comics and diablo-likes this is pretty good.  They are doing a good job of making each hero fun and pretty much exactly what you'd expect for that hero if you read the comics (Thor, Human Torch I especially like).  Starter hero's can be a bit dull, which is a shame, I think they missed an opportunity there (although I think Storm is pretty good now).

There are/were some underpowered/dull champs, but it feels like every patch is a step in the right direction and has some improvement to champ balance (primarily buffs, none of my champs have been nerfed), quality of life and the addition of additional systems.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #165 on: October 20, 2013, 03:41:45 PM

Yea, they've been fairly on the ball in regards to class balance. From where Ms. Marvel started and where she is now, it's a DRAMATIC improvement. I don't play much, but the sirens call of RNG loot has never worked on me so this is unsurprising.

proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #166 on: December 17, 2013, 01:40:27 PM

I guess they ran out of heroes and are moving on to villains:

https://marvelheroes.com/news/news-articles/introducing-advance-packs

This game is eventually going to have a million 'classes'.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #167 on: December 17, 2013, 01:43:41 PM

99 fucking dollars? what the fucking shit?

I am the .00000001428%
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #168 on: December 17, 2013, 03:20:17 PM

I assume at some point you can get them individually with shards and/or money but... yeah.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #169 on: December 17, 2013, 03:54:12 PM

Some of those heroes are not even coming out until "early 2015", that's some bullshit.

I am the .00000001428%
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #170 on: December 18, 2013, 06:23:47 AM

I remember when people used to bitch about sub+expansions :)

And honestly, if this game had followed MUA instead of Diablo, I'd probably have dropped a bundle on it already. What kind of world is it when I prefer the controller-based iteration of the game?
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #171 on: December 18, 2013, 04:27:34 PM

Some of those heroes are not even coming out until "early 2015", that's some bullshit.

As I said in the MW thread with the $500 mech nonsense, expect more and more of this.  Roberts has shown the way.

There are plenty of geeks willing to open their wallets for ridiculous amounts of money to people with normal jobs.  Always have been but devs had some sense of restraint.  No longer. Welcome to the new world of gaming.

The next step will be pay to compete, rather than pay to play or pay for slight advantage.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #172 on: December 18, 2013, 06:48:03 PM

The worst part is each hero is only about 10 bucks or so, so you are just paying them now for a hero over a year from now and a shit ton of filler.

I am the .00000001428%
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #173 on: January 29, 2014, 08:43:26 AM

They had a 2 times exp weekend this weekend.  I had not played since release. It's amazing how D2 the game feels now. 

ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #174 on: January 29, 2014, 10:26:31 PM

I've been playing a lot over the last couple weeks. My "main" is Scarlet Witch but I've had to hold back on her a bit for the sake of my leveling partner, so my highest level is Thing. Powered him through to 60 over the weekend and while I liked him at 30 he seems to fall off hard at the high levels. I'm happy to have the XP synergy but I don't think I'll be playing him again before his review.

I know they're working on raids, but until then does anything interesting content-wise open up at 60 or is it just gear optimization?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 106 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Gazillion's Marvel MMO - F2P, Play as existing Marvel characters only  
Jump to: