Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 24, 2018, 07:27:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
Donate! | Subscribe! | Shop: Amazon

***DONATION DRIVE 2 HAS BEGUN:
CLICK HERE TO BURN MONEY***
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Buying a new car, need some advice 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Buying a new car, need some advice  (Read 61297 times)
Teleku
Terracotta Army

http://tinyurl.com/d89qk7g

Reply #805 on: November 22, 2017, 10:33:13 AM

I'd planned to be super cool local and just buy an electric scooter to get around with once I moved to SE Asia instead of a car.  But unfortunately, the year before I arrived, we had 8 different Americans at the embassy get in crashes and had to be flown to Thailand for treatment while riding their scooters.  So they banned all American personnel from riding them in country.

I remain slightly bitter, but all things considered, it probably will extend my life a lot longer.   awesome, for real

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #806 on: January 25, 2018, 10:10:16 PM

Anyone driven a Subaru Crosstrek with a manual?  They are getting a redesign for 2018 and I wonder if 152 HP is enough for an AWD car.

After driving manual cars for 29 years, I've just bought the 2018 CVT version of the Subaru Crosstrek (which is called an XV in Australia and Europe). While it's not exactly a beast compared with my wife's BMW turbo diesel, the engine is fine for the vehicle. We have a sharp, steep driveway and my previous Mazda 3 manual hatchback struggled on it. The Crosstrek/XV barely notices it.

That said, I wouldn't buy a manual Crosstrek/XV. Two of the major features, Eyesight and X-Mode, work better with the CVT.

"The more we talk about less important things, the less we talk about more important things."
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #807 on: February 15, 2018, 06:02:07 PM

How do you like the Crosstrek?

I've been eyeing one for over a year now, although I am leaning towards the Forester at the moment.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #808 on: February 16, 2018, 11:35:13 AM

Just as a note about vehicles...The pipe exiting the muffler on the FJ has begun rusting through at the joint and I'll need to replace it this spring. Only repair after 9 Upstate NY winters of salt. So I'd say it's a Toyota, as far as reliability goes.

No idea what I'll replace it with if she ever dies. Best vehicle by a mile without spending $$$.

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #809 on: February 16, 2018, 05:06:35 PM

I'm about to spend $900 on my FJ. Rear axle seals are leaking, so new bearings on both sides! And the rear main seal is leaking again, but that's just a $90 fix at Toyota. Not bad for 190k
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #810 on: February 16, 2018, 05:44:52 PM

If you can get 190k without needing head work or a tranny rebuild youíre doing well. Axle seals are a part of life on higher mileage cars, 190k is good life.

As for replacing the FJ when yours dies, Iíll say it again: low mileage car from out west. Just buy another! Iíve bought the same 2-3 car styles for almost 20 years. It consolidates the tools and spare parts you need to keep around to keep it running and you get to the point where you just know every nut and bolt on them.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #811 on: February 16, 2018, 07:03:41 PM

How do you like the Crosstrek?

I've been eyeing one for over a year now, although I am leaning towards the Forester at the moment.

I like my siilver 2018 XV/Crosstrek. I have what's called the S, which is the Limited in the US. I've owned it for about a month. I got the dealer to add cloth mats, a roof rack for a kayak, and a tint for the front two windows (only the rear two windows come tinted in Australia). I should have added scuff pads for the rear hatch and front doors - they're nice as they are Subaru branded, and I keep scuffing both those areas with dirt.

I wanted a vehicle that had good tech, Android Auto, and a point of difference from my wife's car. The point of difference is that mine is an AWD SUV with X-Mode (4WD mode). It is actually pretty good off-road. There's nothing that has this combination of features in this price range. We share driving duties, but I'm the main driver, so I get to speed around in her BMW too, and the extra turbo torque is noticeable there compared with my car. I think I would be okay with just the Subaru however - it's nice to drive. The accelerator (gas pedal) is lethargic at first, but if you really put your foot down it responds quickly enough. I've read from other drivers on forums that after a while the feel of the drive improves - they claim the car secretly goes into a "broken in" mode, having gained enough data on your driving habits or whatever. I'll see if that happens.

Things that have impressed me so far:
- Much less road noise than my old Mazda. Inside the car is a very quiet environment while driving.
- We went onto dirt and climbed a rough, long, steep, dusty hill in X-Mode. It was really capable, like driving a true 4WD (obviously not a Toyota Land Cruiser, but it's actually quite good).
- Eyesight safety system is REALLY good on the freeway. It can see the cars around you and the lane markers, so it almost drives itself in cruise control, keeping a distance of your choice away from the car in front, braking or accelerating as needed.
- It's insanely stable. I wouldn't advise it, but you can go around corners at speeds where other cars would roll. It doesn't feel possible at first. The dealer did it on our test drive to show us, and we thought we were going to die :)
- It's just a 2.0L engine, but that's the same size engine as my former Mazda. The amount of power available has been fine so far. People said I would hate the CVT after driving a manual for so long, but I like it.
- My car connects to my wifi. No point other than a minor software update capability which hasn't yet happened, but it's kind of cool to drive into the garage and see the car go onto wifi. If I someday find out it's joined a botnet I will laugh and laugh.
- The rear seats are roomy as fuck and very comfortable. Sitting back there feels like a bigger car. This is one of the things that sold it to me.
- The rear doors open wide to almost 90 degrees. If you have small children, it will be very easy to buckle them into their child seat.
- Reverse Automatic Braking (RAB) very effectively stopped me reversing into our garbage bins when I was in a hurry to depart for work one morning.

Issues I have had so far:
- My Galaxy S7 connecting via Bluetooth began to clash with its Android Auto connection (via USB). Android Auto stopped working. I think it was a Subaru head unit bug. I deleted my phone from the car and reconnected it, which fixed it. Subaru's software is fairly new as it's a significant upgrade from what Subarus used to come with, and I think it may receive some updates.
- Eyesight once decided another car peeling off to my left (in an exit lane) was still in front of me and automatically braked. It wasn't dangerous, but Eyesight was wrong.
- Eyesight warned me about an obstacle ahead when I was going around a shallow left turn. It was seeing a road sign in the centre of the road that was not a danger as the road was turning left, away from it. I was also warned twice that the hill at the end of our street was an obstacle ahead. Fortunately these are just audible warnings, not automatic braking triggers.
- You can really feel the AWD... all four wheels respond when you steer. It's extremely safe, but the feeling freaks me out, having come from a FWD car.
- The rear cargo space is set too high, meaning you don't have as much capacity as a hatch (e.g. the Impreza). With the roomy rear seats laid flat, it's not much different than a hatch in the same configuration.
- Some of the dials and knobs are flimsy, which is at odds with the quality finish around the rest of the cabin. No danger of breaking them yet as far as I can see however.

The Forester has more room and a bigger engine. But the Forester has 6-month service intervals because it's built on Subaru's old platform (chassis). The Crosstrek has 1-year service intervals and is built on the new global platform. Less interruption to your life, hopefully it will hold onto some value.

Here is a review of the XV/Crosstrek that I liked.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 07:37:39 PM by Tale »

"The more we talk about less important things, the less we talk about more important things."
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #812 on: February 17, 2018, 09:58:38 AM

Thanks for the feedback.

Man, now do I wait for the 2019 Foresters, or go for the Crosstrek with smaller cargo capacity.  It's tempting to do the latter, because we're at the point where children are leaving the house.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #813 on: February 17, 2018, 10:24:53 AM

I'm about to spend $900 on my FJ. Rear axle seals are leaking, so new bearings on both sides! And the rear main seal is leaking again, but that's just a $90 fix at Toyota. Not bad for 190k
Yeah, not bad at all. I know you move around a lot, so that's impressive. Mine hasn't hit 52k yet  why so serious?

I do wish I knew more about working on vehicles myself, though. I've only ever done minor stuff like consumables or alternator/solenoid stuff.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #814 on: February 17, 2018, 04:13:43 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

Man, now do I wait for the 2019 Foresters, or go for the Crosstrek with smaller cargo capacity.  It's tempting to do the latter, because we're at the point where children are leaving the house.

Well done. We're at the opposite end of the story, trying to start a family. From past experience I'd have no worries about life with a small child or maybe two in this vehicle, but I'd be getting something roomier after that stage. Some differing opinions recently in this thread about whether or not the XV/Crosstrek is good for life with kids, though no mention of older kids.

I had another problem with Android Auto and the head unit yesterday. I pulled over and unplugged the phone to look up a street address in email. When I reconnected the phone, both it and the Subaru screen locked up. The Subaru actually rebooted itself - display went black for 30 seconds. Worked fine after that, but it shouldn't happen.

MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #815 on: February 19, 2018, 09:21:50 PM

it's not much different than a hatch in the same configuration.

This is true of pretty much all crossovers.  They're just hatches/wagons with some black plastic cladding and a lift kit.  I drove an Escape for a couple of days while my ST was in the shop for weird gremlins, and it was just a much slower, way less fun to drive version of my car that Ford charges $5k more for.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #816 on: February 19, 2018, 10:23:27 PM

Man, now do I wait for the 2019 Foresters, or go for the Crosstrek with smaller cargo capacity.  It's tempting to do the latter, because we're at the point where children are leaving the house.

I test drove the Forester and the Outback and noticed that the Forester is MUCH lighter and less stable in high wind.  I preferred the Outback for stability and think the Crosstrek may be more stable as well.  If you're going to be using this offroad and in places with harsh weather, I'd consider how light the Forrester is in your decision process.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #817 on: February 19, 2018, 11:29:27 PM

it's not much different than a hatch in the same configuration.

This is true of pretty much all crossovers.  They're just hatches/wagons with some black plastic cladding and a lift kit.  I drove an Escape for a couple of days while my ST was in the shop for weird gremlins, and it was just a much slower, way less fun to drive version of my car that Ford charges $5k more for.

My comment was about the cargo space with the seats down, not the vehicle in general. But I generally agree.

However the XV (Crosstrek) still makes sense because all Subarus are AWD and this "Impreza with a lift kit" adds the reasonably capable off-road X-Mode (test video), which the other crossovers like the Escape do not have unless you pay through the nose for a 4WD version. Extra lift makes sense if you're going to use that.

In the other brands, adding lift to a 2WD car is about nothing more than people wanting to look at the road from SUV height.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 11:49:34 PM by Tale »

Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #818 on: February 20, 2018, 12:11:25 PM

It's actually debatable whether we need a Crosstrek over an Impreza.  We're interested in the extra clearance for those days where the damn roads aren't plowed in our neighborhood, but if we can go about 200 feet we'll be on plowed roads.

Of course, that's about 2-3 days a year, every few years.  So, perhaps a bit ridiculous.

On the other hand, I would like to take some trips in the area that would involve near-offroading conditions, so something like a Crosstrek would be ideal for that.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Buying a new car, need some advice  
Jump to: