Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:52:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Buying a new car, need some advice 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 33 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Buying a new car, need some advice  (Read 341489 times)
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #735 on: September 29, 2017, 09:29:47 AM

Am I the only one here with the affliction that I want a new and different car about every 2-3 years?
If you cut out the "new" part, then yes. I've got it bad. I've had almost 30 cars over the years. I just enjoy driving different ones and it's less boring when I try a different one out every 9-12 months. All of mine are used and old, so it's more of a nuisance than having a vice of actual "new" cars every few years. A friend of mine has the same problem, she's always changing her cars and has had almost a dozen in the years I've known her.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #736 on: September 29, 2017, 11:42:58 AM

Am I the only one here with the affliction that I want a new and different car about every 2-3 years?  I play a lot of driving sims to help cure this, but there's something about trying a new car that really excites me . 

I'm not looking forward to the day the rust finally claims the FJ.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #737 on: September 29, 2017, 12:03:57 PM

I find something I love and drive it until the wheels fall off. My wife has that stupid bug tho, and I've restrained that, mostly by getting her gadgets and upgrades for her rigs every couple years. Cuts down on wasted cash a bunch.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #738 on: September 29, 2017, 12:10:55 PM

My first car was an '88 Civic that I drove until its transmission fell out in 2004, and my second car is a 2004 Civic hybrid that I'm still driving.  I'm hoping it'll wait to kick the bucket until self-driving Teslas are out of beta.

I do occasionally fantasize about getting a nicer car -- having driven a few nice cars as rentals, I can definitely see the appeal.  If car #2 falls apart before I'm ready to take the Tesla plunge I'll probably go for something a little more fun than a Civic to fill in that gap.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #739 on: September 29, 2017, 12:46:03 PM

If you're willing to accept constant car payments, then getting a new car every few years isn't a bad deal.  My middle brother does that.  He's always getting something new.

I'm still driving my 2004 Santa Fe that runs great.  I had to put some money into it to fix a niggling engine light issue in order for it to pass emissions, but other than that really, it's been very issue free.  The gas mileage sucks (I average about 19-20 mpg) but then again, it's no better on a new Santa Fe either.  Which pisses me off bigly.  You'd think that in 14 years (I bought it in October 2003) the gas mileage might have improved somewhat, but NOPE! Next vehicle will likely be a hybrid of some flavor, leaning towards a RAV4 atm since I prefer SUVs.  I'm tired of having my gas light come on when heading home on the fifth day of commuting; and that's only driving to/from work.

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #740 on: September 29, 2017, 01:18:51 PM

I used to look forward to driving new and different cars, but 181k miles on the FJ and I still love to drive it more than anything else. I'll just have to buy Sky's engine/trans when mine goes out in hopefully at least another 120K or more (no rust on mine)
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #741 on: September 29, 2017, 01:30:21 PM

If you cut out the "new" part, then yes. I've got it bad. I've had almost 30 cars over the years. I just enjoy driving different ones and it's less boring when I try a different one out every 9-12 months. All of mine are used and old, so it's more of a nuisance than having a vice of actual "new" cars every few years. A friend of mine has the same problem, she's always changing her cars and has had almost a dozen in the years I've known her.

When I said 'new', I should have said 'different'.  I've owned 5 cars in the last decade and only one of them was purchased new.  The only car I've owned that I put significant miles on was a VW GTI.  Perhaps I should just buy another GTI and be done with it!

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #742 on: September 29, 2017, 03:37:44 PM

I think you should get one in every color.

- Viin
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #743 on: September 29, 2017, 03:42:49 PM

Not a bad idea.  The ford focus st/rs does look really fun though.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #744 on: September 29, 2017, 04:03:02 PM

Am I the only one here with the affliction that I want a new and different car about every 2-3 years?  I play a lot of driving sims to help cure this, but there's something about trying a new car that really excites me . 

Nope, if I could find a car that would run forever on around $1500-2000 maintenance a year, I'd never look at new cars again.

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #745 on: September 29, 2017, 05:22:44 PM

Not a bad idea.  The ford focus st/rs does look really fun though.

I can vouch for the ST as an insanely entertaining car.  The GTI is more refined, but I think that refinement takes a little of the fun out of the proceedings.  Driving the ST is kind of like taking an unruly puppy for a walk - it just keeps pulling at the leash until you finally relent and run with it and realize that you're having way more fun than you were before.  Tail-out antics in a FWD car is a new thing for me, and I'm willing to deal with a kinda cheap-feeling interior and mild torque steer because of it.  The only downsides for me after 18 months are the hilariously small (12G) gas tank and the enormous minimum turning radius.

It's not what I'd call 'fast', but holy shit is it really quick.  It also hangs on in corners like nothing else I've driven.

It doesn't hurt that you can get crazy good deals on the ST now.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 05:26:12 PM by MisterNoisy »

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #746 on: September 29, 2017, 08:12:51 PM

I love my GTI, since I have only put 43k miles on it in the 5 1/2 years since I bought it I should be good for quite a long time. Especially since they no longer sell a 2dr GTI in the US and I don't want a 4dr GTI.

Of course, if I do move out west as I keep thinking about, I will have to buy another car that has some ground clearance and AWD, probably a Subaru. I really, really liked the Legacy sedan I rented in Montana last winter.

I would probably keep the GTI for driving when there was no chance of snow though :)

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #747 on: September 29, 2017, 09:21:10 PM

Of course, if I do move out west as I keep thinking about, I will have to buy another car that has some ground clearance and AWD, probably a Subaru. I really, really liked the Legacy sedan I rented in Montana last winter.

I would probably keep the GTI for driving when there was no chance of snow though :)

I owned my GTI for 4 years that I lived in the Rockies (at 7300 ft) and I never had any trouble with the snow.  I ended up trading it in when I hit 120k miles.  It's the only car I've ever driven that long and the only maintenence it required was oil changes.  Never had to replace the brake pads due to much of the driving being highway.

-  Mark Twain
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #748 on: September 29, 2017, 09:33:13 PM

I'm driving the regular Focus SE as a commuter car and even that is a lot of fun to drive.  Its 0-60 time is nothing to write home about but when you need to get from 60 to 80+ to pass somebody it happens remarkably quickly.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #749 on: September 29, 2017, 09:58:11 PM

I used to look forward to driving new and different cars, but 181k miles on the FJ and I still love to drive it more than anything else. I'll just have to buy Sky's engine/trans when mine goes out in hopefully at least another 120K or more (no rust on mine)
Buying a southern FJ and keeping mine for parts isn't out of the question, actually. I'm still under 50k on the original engine (2008), though I should hit that this semester.

If it weren't for winter driving, I'd just buy an old muscle car. But it's not really possible to get a winter rat for a couple hundred bucks anymore, and I'm used to having a reliable vehicle.

I could never keep a car payment going forever, I want to retire sooner than later.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #750 on: September 29, 2017, 09:59:46 PM

I owned my GTI for 4 years that I lived in the Rockies (at 7300 ft) and I never had any trouble with the snow.  I ended up trading it in when I hit 120k miles.  It's the only car I've ever driven that long and the only maintenence it required was oil changes.  Never had to replace the brake pads due to much of the driving being highway.
I drove a couple Rabbits in the 80s, inherited from my dad who put about 150k on each driving up to Oswego from the middle of the state every winter.

Amazingly good winter cars. I learned handbrake turns in one :)
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #751 on: October 02, 2017, 08:48:10 PM

when buying southern cars for the next, oh, decade, be careful not to get a hurricane car.

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #752 on: October 03, 2017, 12:16:15 AM

That shit's getting shipped to auction. It'll be nationwide in 2 months.

Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #753 on: October 04, 2017, 05:15:07 PM

Particularly beware of any used car with a Kentucky title - check the Carfax to be sure it's not a re-titled rebuild from out of state.  I provide this PSA as a resident of Kentucky btw, no axe to grind, just truth. Our laws suck for the consumer on this specific.

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #754 on: October 05, 2017, 02:15:24 PM

I drove a salvaged retitled Altima for a while.  It did leak but the drive train was great.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #755 on: October 05, 2017, 06:07:54 PM

Usually end up with some really spectacular wiring harness problems that can only be solved by ripping that shit out and throwing it to the curb. Which really sucks to tell a customer, since they usually just blew enough money that more expenditure is out of their budget.

Believe it or not, I hate giving people bad news. Never feels good.

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #756 on: October 06, 2017, 05:29:52 AM

I've owned 2 post-hurricane flooded cars in my life, both were nightmares of fast rust and wiring issues.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #757 on: October 06, 2017, 07:12:04 AM

I've owned 2 post-hurricane flooded cars in my life, both were nightmares of fast rust and wiring issues.

Sounds like a rust belt car to be honest....  awesome, for real My Acura RSX-S is now ancient and has considerable rust issues. We are close to getting a new used certified car, but the few we have tried to negotiate for were chopped down by each dealer. Basically they wouldn't knock the price down enough (which we are looking to at least haggle and mostly bid 1k under the listed price). Chalk it up to doing this first week of the month.

(interestingly enough, both cars we tried to buy have been on the respective lots for more than 2 months and are still there 8 days later)

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #758 on: October 06, 2017, 10:58:17 AM

I've owned rust belt cars too, seawater is way worse than road salt. One car was mine when the island flooded, and all the mitigation I did was for naught. The other I bought, then found out. Illinois is another state to be wary of redone titles from, they can unsalvage a totaled car with a fresh title.
Terracotta Army

Reply #759 on: October 06, 2017, 11:19:56 AM

I've owned rust belt cars too, seawater is way worse than road salt. One car was mine when the island flooded, and all the mitigation I did was for naught. The other I bought, then found out. Illinois is another state to be wary of redone titles from, they can unsalvage a totaled car with a fresh title.

Agreed on the saltwater.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #760 on: October 06, 2017, 11:25:45 AM

Honestly with some of the huge batches of flood damaged vehicles that are going be floating around I would be super leary of used cars for a bit.
Terracotta Army

Reply #761 on: October 21, 2017, 08:00:13 PM

Well after a few weeks of looking, the wife made me drive to one dealer that I wasn't too keen on given they had the highest listing prices of any dealer in the area. Oddly enough, they were also the only dealer to actually haggle and we got the one we really wanted for less than what we had thought. Shocking turn of events from a dealer I wrote off as not being worth the time. Thank god for the wife... she knows her shit when haggling.

schild
Administrator

Reply #762 on: October 22, 2017, 07:07:16 AM

Buying used is almost universally a fools game. If you don’t need to then don't do it.
Terracotta Army

Reply #763 on: October 22, 2017, 09:22:41 AM

Buying used is almost universally a fools game. If you don’t need to then don't do it.

Meh... with the longevity of cars these days and the certified pre-owned program, it's not as buyer beware as it used to be. We got a CPO 2015 Regal that has 30 months of bumper to bumper with no deductible and the loan we got is only for 36 months so it's a fair deal. 

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #764 on: October 23, 2017, 05:59:49 AM

Buying a used Nissan has never caused me grief.  No, not even the one with a leaky sunroof because I knew what I was getting.  Those cars seemingly run forever.

For the next one, though, I'm seriously considering buying new.  Never owned a new car before.  Will see what the money situation looks like next fall and decide then.  A Lexus is on the table, as is some sort of Infiniti.  I assume everything else is garbage.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #765 on: October 23, 2017, 07:22:02 AM

Depends. For the long game, it's a gamble because you don't know if the previous owner maintained it properly or drove it like a demon. But a new car you have to be able to eat the lot cost/depreciation. If I had money and liked to drive new cars, I'd lease. But I like my truck that's been paid off for 4 years, I've kept about 25k in my pocket so far.

I've mentioned my dilemma if I need to get a new truck, since they stopped making the FJ. So Toyota announced the new concept FT 4X. I could almost live with how painfully concept dorky it is, if it weren't so tiny.

Terracotta Army

Reply #766 on: October 23, 2017, 07:25:45 AM

So toyota stole the plans for the honda element?  why so serious?

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #767 on: October 23, 2017, 08:21:54 AM

I was thinking it looked like a Kia Soul. Lots of that tiny boxy weird looking design going around, like the Jeep Renegade wtf.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #768 on: October 23, 2017, 10:27:10 AM

Depends. For the long game, it's a gamble because you don't know if the previous owner maintained it properly or drove it like a demon. But a new car you have to be able to eat the lot cost/depreciation. If I had money and liked to drive new cars, I'd lease. But I like my truck that's been paid off for 4 years, I've kept about 25k in my pocket so far.

I agree with this.  I've found that buying a used vehicle with < 40k miles has been a great way for me to own better cars than I could ever afford new.  If you know the major mechanical shortcomings of the model you're looking for and willing to spend some time looking over the potential purchase, there are some very good deals to be had.  Granted, I'm willing to travel further than most to grab a deal on a vehicle that I want.

On the buying side, I'm seriously tempted to buy the new Bronco when they come out in 2020.  I'm just not sure that I could give up my Wrangler to do it.  Driving all summer with no top or doors spoiled me. 

-  Mark Twain
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #769 on: October 23, 2017, 11:55:40 AM

I just cracked 50k on my 9 year old truck last week  why so serious?

Finally have to do a repair on it, I wired up the exhaust pipe redneck style to get through the winter before I replace it (and save a year of salt on it). Toyotas, man.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 33 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Buying a new car, need some advice  
Jump to: