Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:27:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Buying a new car, need some advice 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 33 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Buying a new car, need some advice  (Read 341482 times)
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #665 on: June 30, 2017, 01:52:50 PM

Yeah, I know that about the Crosstrek.  I like the styling of it though.

Forester is on the short list to look at, for sure.

CR-V, Forester, Crosstrek, CX5, I think were the ones I was seriously considering.  Although the CR-V is priced a bit high.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #666 on: June 30, 2017, 07:16:32 PM

I honestly prefer the straight up outback to the forester if you are going with a Subaru bigger than the crosstrek. All a forester gives you is a higher roof and a higher price tag.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #667 on: June 30, 2017, 07:55:41 PM

I honestly prefer the straight up outback to the forester if you are going with a Subaru bigger than the crosstrek. All a forester gives you is a higher roof and a higher price tag.

I have to agree with this.  I owned an outback (2009) for 2 years and it was the most stable vehicle in bad weather that I've ever owned.  It was pretty sluggish with the 2.4L and handled pretty sluggishly, but it was very safe and secure on the road. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #668 on: June 30, 2017, 08:38:25 PM

That was my main thought after driving it, Nebu. Felt great on rougher roads, but lacked a bit on the highway and curves. Especially after the Mazdas.

I didn't drive any bigger Subarus, this was for the old lady who thought the Crosstrek was too big.

(I'm still super happy with my FJ, no idea what I'd replace it with!)
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #669 on: June 30, 2017, 09:21:54 PM

Basic requirements are AWD and heated seats.  The wife demands the heated seats.

I'm not looking to spend more than about 30k.

You know for 30k you could probably get a nice but slightly used Audi Q5... Don't know where you live, but here's an example.

They might be a bit underpowered with the 2.0 4 banger, but you should at least drive one.

- Viin
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #670 on: July 01, 2017, 12:14:59 AM

My wife is on her second CR-V and loves the things. They are just plain bullet-proof.  Zero maintenance issues at all after 8 years of all city driving on the latest one.  So if you want a buy and forget it car, that is a good one. I personally hate driving it because it is underpowered as hell and feels like I am driving a short-bus with no engine. The newer models may have more oomph (and going from my V-8 to that thing probably exacerbates my feeling of having no guts).  Depends on your priorities I guess.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #671 on: July 01, 2017, 08:03:22 AM

Hah, a quick check showed the nearest 2015 Q5 is 250 miles away.

Plus - an Audi?  Am I that much of an asshole?  Feel free to answer that.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #672 on: July 01, 2017, 11:04:28 AM

I  am.  awesome, for real The drive is really nice. I can't speak for a Q5, but my A4 is lovely.

-Rasix
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #673 on: July 01, 2017, 11:07:41 AM

I would totally own an Audi... if professors were paid better.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #674 on: July 01, 2017, 12:01:54 PM

If I were paid better, I'd still keep the FJ for winter driving...with some pimp mods of course.

But for summer I'd get a 68 camaro or a GTO or something. We love going to car shows, so at some point I'll probably hit up some auctions and get something cool but not very desirable. You can find some really sweet rides outside the desirables (the camaros, vettes, etc). Upside is I would be able to work on it myself and the guy across the street has a fully stocked mechanic's garage.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #675 on: July 01, 2017, 04:15:08 PM

My Audi A6 is an amazing car. It's a bummer that the assholes driving F350s to their office jobs are considered "real men" and the Audi driver is the snobby one - hey did you know that F350 costs TWICE what my A6 does? And let's not even talk about practicalities here ..

I owned a '66 Mercury Comet for a bit (pic) which was a pretty fun car and easy to work on, but man *every* week I'd have to fix something on it. Not to mention being stranded because its so hot the fuel was vaporizing - all you could do was wait for everything to cool down so you could start the darn thing. (Thought about converting it to fuel injection - would have if I kept it!)

- Viin
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #676 on: July 02, 2017, 08:31:57 PM

Nice car Viin.

If you don't want the Audi get a VW Passat (probably like SE model). Well priced, lots of room for a 4 door sedan, decently powered. Love mine.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #677 on: July 03, 2017, 06:59:48 PM

I had a Passat from '99 to '11 and loved driving it; it was smooth and powerful.

Around the 8 year mark it started eating me alive in maintenance.  I kept thinking, "Ill just fix this one thing and then it'll be good for years."  But every 6 months it needed a $750-1500 repair.  And Volkswagen parts ain't cheap -- a new clutch was $2200.  I finally got rid of it when I realized I was staring down the barrel of about $7500 in scheduled maintenance (timing belt, plugs/wires, likely tie-rods, etc.)

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #678 on: July 03, 2017, 11:09:49 PM

Going to generalize, so suck it up people.

VWs are one of those cars I recommend people don't buy used. For some reason, they suffer a myth of German engineering, which to the common person who doesn't care about cars means they don't have to do maintenance. Ever. So that shit you listed off there gets passed to the next guy, because the dealer sure as shit isn't going to fix it. And the rubber they use on their emissions hoses is second in shittiness only to Chrysler products. Fucking awful. So, since nobody has vehicles inspected before purchase anymore, all the doozies get passed on to the next buyer, and I have seen some real treats come through the door, "new" to this owner. Cadillacs and Infitis are the same way.

Vehicular ignorance usually costs the next dude a lot of cash.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #679 on: July 03, 2017, 11:13:05 PM

I wonder if VW is still throwing incentives out the wazoo around to try to get people to buy new after the whole emissions scandal.  A while back it seemed like they were selling those things significantly sub-invoice to try to gain back some cred.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #680 on: July 04, 2017, 06:38:30 AM

As of last year they were, fiancee got a good deal on her Golf.

I agree with the maintenance stuff. She thinks I'm nuts because I do the most aggressive maintenance schedule for my truck (time, not mileage). I recommended she do the same, but she isn't. *shrug*

The fact that her car is a pigsty may have a bit to do with my trepidation in buying a house with her...I freak out if my truck gets dusty.
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #681 on: July 04, 2017, 06:46:50 AM

I wonder if VW is still throwing incentives out the wazoo around to try to get people to buy new after the whole emissions scandal.  A while back it seemed like they were selling those things significantly sub-invoice to try to gain back some cred.

VW generally has the policy of underselling their cars and then getting back the money via maintenance/parts later on. At least in Europe they do and they had some serious run ins with other car makers due to that. Buying a VW usually is a back-loaded deal.

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #682 on: July 04, 2017, 09:15:24 AM

They have always thrown out a lot of incentives. I got a ridiculously good deal when I bought my GTI in 2012.

VW parts are expensive, especially since a lot of them have to be ordered from Germany and are tied to the VIN.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #683 on: July 04, 2017, 09:55:36 AM

I'm probably spoiled with the FJ. Outside of routine maintenance, it's the same truck I drove off the lot in 2008.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #684 on: July 05, 2017, 06:02:44 PM

Colleague of mine was trading in a VW Passat and dealer was telling him that values have cratered. As mentioned probably a hangover from the emissions scandal. I've heard stories about bad german engineering but mainly bmw owners bitching , they can suck it..:D

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #685 on: July 05, 2017, 10:01:16 PM

I was a BMW (and German-car-in-general) hater right up until I owned one.  Changed my mind completely.  Now, if someone can just help me find the arguments I can pose to the wife unit?  I want a new car. 

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #686 on: July 05, 2017, 10:39:23 PM

Which BMW do/did you have and which one do you want to get?
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #687 on: July 05, 2017, 10:42:08 PM

And what did you like about it?

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #688 on: July 06, 2017, 12:14:27 AM

My wife has a 2015 BMW 118d, which is a diesel hatchback in automatic. It's amazing. I've seen it do 1100km (683 miles) per tank in highway driving. The turbo diesel is surprisingly responsive and powerful for a relatively small car.

I'm not so much a fan of the overall BMW experience, having also rented one. They have such a consistent "feel" and the tech is all the same, and it all feels very Apple iOS to me, where I'm an Android user.

I've got an aging Mazda 3 manual from 2011, which the mechanic says is excellent, but I'm a bit bored by it. Looking at everything from the new Hondas to Renaults to Skodas to various SUV brands, and even to BMWs at the moment.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #689 on: July 06, 2017, 03:36:27 AM

Being a filthy Euro implant, mine was an 118i from 2008, sold it a few years ago.  Just really well put together in all ways.  Was not exactly "fast", but so nimble and sporty that it felt like cruising around in a go-cart or something.  Forever changed my mind about BMWs.  In theory, I'd love a new Diesel version like the one Tale mentions, but they are too costly here.  Would also look at a Golf, but same problem.  And before anyone comes back with a "get the GTI!", just forget it.  That's like a 80k dollar car here.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #690 on: July 06, 2017, 11:35:53 AM

So the main objection your wife would have to getting another BMW is the price?
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #691 on: July 06, 2017, 10:35:25 PM

The main objection would be my wife not thinking I need a new car in the first place, because cars are not important. 

The weird thing about the cost of cars here in Denmark is that they are all so stupidly expensive due to the taxes, once you actually decide to buy something new or gently used there actually isn't a huge gap between a BMW, a VW, a Honda, or whatever.  Unless you want something with a big** engine, then the prices become astronomical. 

So yeah, I think I need to find some clever argument about how my manliness is currently sub-adequate and that I somehow need to compensate.

** LOL not actually big

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #692 on: July 07, 2017, 06:21:25 AM

I don't know your wife, but I'd generally advise a different tactic.

Meanwhile, in 'Murica: my wife wants me to get a new car because she says my 2011 G37 isn't nice enough.  I looked through the current set of Infiniti cars and they seem stupid expensive while new.  Might as well look at a GT-R.  Giggity.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #693 on: July 07, 2017, 01:51:11 PM

I don't know your wife, but I'd generally advise a different tactic.

Meanwhile, in 'Murica: my wife wants me to get a new car because she says my 2011 G37 isn't nice enough.  I looked through the current set of Infiniti cars and they seem stupid expensive while new.  Might as well look at a GT-R.  Giggity.
If you want anything a step up in luxury from your car you'll need to pay >= $10k (MSRP) extra. That's just the way luxury car makers segment their lines. For Infiniti the jump is slightly less if you switch to an SUV rather than going to the Q70, the sedan a model up from your car (now the Q50). The jump is similar with other brands as well (BMW 3 series to 5 series, Audi A4 to A6, Lexus IS to GS, etc.).

Edit: series
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 08:31:56 PM by Trippy »
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #694 on: July 07, 2017, 02:14:25 PM

Yeah, it's all the features in the new models that are so enticing but also cost the money.  I mostly just want a working radio and a great drivetrain, but even the radio is optional.  Cooled seats are nice for this climate, though.

The power of the GT-R is actually a bit worrisome for me, because I know I'll be using it and that could get messy if I make a mistake.  Apparently I'm getting old, worrying about a car being TOO powerful.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #695 on: July 07, 2017, 02:30:15 PM

This is where schild comes in and pontificates about the A/C seats in his Mercedes and how you should just buy one.  why so serious?

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #696 on: July 07, 2017, 02:38:09 PM

I've been massaged by schild's car.  I thought it was going to molest me, and I was OK with that.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #697 on: July 07, 2017, 02:53:46 PM

Meh, Mercedes.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #698 on: July 07, 2017, 06:18:14 PM

I wasn't impressed with Mercedes either, not for the sticker price or the maintenance costs. My Audi and BMW experiences have been much better.

Looks like I'm going to have to replace my wife's Honda Pilot - I don't really like how it drives and we need to haul more crap, but it can pull our little popup camper and has a 5th row. May have to go up to a bigger car (yuck) or something i don't know.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 06:20:16 PM by Viin »

- Viin
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #699 on: July 07, 2017, 09:08:25 PM

The power of the GT-R is actually a bit worrisome for me, because I know I'll be using it and that could get messy if I make a mistake.  Apparently I'm getting old, worrying about a car being TOO powerful.
I came to that realization when I was 18 and landed my Sebring Satellite in a field after being airborne, with my girl, guitarist and his girl in the car with me.

Actually now I'd be ok because I drive like a grandma. But my younger self's driving style was best described as "Duke Boy".
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 33 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Buying a new car, need some advice  
Jump to: