Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:41:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Buying a new car, need some advice 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 33 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Buying a new car, need some advice  (Read 341514 times)
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #630 on: May 23, 2017, 11:01:46 AM

I think I might be down to about $30 in gas a month now that I can commute on transit and my driving is limited to doing fun stuff on the weekends.  Which, the more I think about it, maybe getting a Tesla to save on gas isn't that great a plan.   swamp poop

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #631 on: May 23, 2017, 11:30:56 AM

I was at about $25/month in gas until the soon-to-be wife got hired by a company out in the burbs. Was nice when we could both take the bus into work.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #632 on: May 23, 2017, 03:27:14 PM

Getting a Tesla to save on gas is bad math. why so serious?

I'm Tesla-curious but I keep remembering how software patches work and how my phone sometimes reboots while I'm using it.  Also, I don't have $150k in liquid assets.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Torinak
Terracotta Army

Reply #633 on: May 23, 2017, 04:30:56 PM

But your next of kin will thank you after the giant lawsuit payout when the needs-a-patch auto-driving software steers you into a truck. It's like an investment in your family's future!

(until no human intervention is possible, lesser autonomous software is likely to be the deadliest form--not good enough to handle real emergencies, but good enough to ensure that drivers are distracted and have no chance to practice driving skills. It's already a problem for airline pilots and has caused multiple fatal crashes)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #634 on: May 23, 2017, 07:14:21 PM

Dude, the Auto-drive is NOT auto-drive and that jackhole was using it in the wrong conditions. Said problem has been patched, but Tesla repeatedly said, "don't use this over 25mph or outside of traffic."  He was doing 45-55 on a country road.  If you want to fault Telsla, it's 100% that they didn't idiot-proof the feature enough, but that's like blaming electric iron companies for not having the "Don't use this in the tub" label prior to the first incident.
Getting a Tesla to save on gas is bad math. why so serious?

This is true for the model S and X series. They're luxury cars meant to finance the R&D for the 3 series, so it's a prestige purchase, not a fiscally responsible one.  However they're incredibly awesome cars and I'm insanely jealous of my friend who owns one.

The 3 series, however, will be far superior if you're looking at saving gas. It's aimed right at the Camry/ Altima/ Sonata market.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 07:17:28 PM by Merusk »

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #635 on: May 23, 2017, 07:15:20 PM

Tesla makes a real nice coal-powered car. Too bad it's still quite a PITA to recharge them, but I guess not an issue if you're only using it to commute AND get the home charger AND have the room to set it up AND remember to do so when you're trying to get in the house with all your groceries.

Oh, and lithium batteries (like the one in my Prius) still don't have all THAT many full charge cycles in them before they start to fade.

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
schild
Administrator

Reply #636 on: May 24, 2017, 06:23:53 AM

I think I might be down to about $30 in gas a month now that I can commute on transit and my driving is limited to doing fun stuff on the weekends.  Which, the more I think about it, maybe getting a Tesla to save on gas isn't that great a plan.   swamp poop

This is the position I was in. My commute is about 15 stairs, so I could get a normal car or a Tesla. I ended up with an E400. I've filled it up twice since buying it 2 months ago. It's gonna take a while to make up the $30k price differential.
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #637 on: May 24, 2017, 07:24:35 PM

so why own a car at all? rent one on the rare occasion you need it and you don't have to worry about parking or anything the rest of the time!

schild
Administrator

Reply #638 on: May 24, 2017, 08:14:52 PM

Because we use it enough that renting a car is stupid? It's shitloads of super short trips.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #639 on: May 24, 2017, 08:22:40 PM

Because we use it enough that renting a car is stupid? It's shitloads of super short trips.

How else is a man gonna get his Jamaican food, amirite?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #640 on: May 24, 2017, 10:21:52 PM

I'm quite interested in the plug-in Volvo S90 but 70k is a bit much.  Really want to find one in a couple of years coming of a lease to buy used.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
schild
Administrator

Reply #641 on: May 25, 2017, 03:41:00 PM

How else is a man gonna get his Jamaican food, amirite?
but i walk there
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #642 on: May 25, 2017, 06:36:21 PM

Yeah, I did the walk 5 blocks to the grocery store thing for my year in Sydney because parking there was even more of a pain than schlepping bags of stuff home. But definitely not fun until I learned a) you can't do two weeks groceries at once that way  ACK!, and b) grabbing a couple things each day on the way home as part of the walk/ride commute made life a whole lot easier.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #643 on: May 25, 2017, 11:53:01 PM

Tesla makes a real nice coal-powered car. Too bad it's still quite a PITA to recharge them, but I guess not an issue if you're only using it to commute AND get the home charger AND have the room to set it up AND remember to do so when you're trying to get in the house with all your groceries.

The situation in California is way better on those fronts than most of the country.  My house runs on wind power, not coal.   Anywhere that I'd drive to in the state has plenty of supercharger stations en route.  My grocery store has EV charging stations in its parking lot so if I forgot to plug the car in after putting away the groceries it wouldn't matter too much because it'd most likely have a full battery already anyway.

But yeah, I'm with Ab that I'm okay with buying one used a few years from now.  The 3 is a lot more affordable than the S and X but that's still a lotta cash to throw down.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Stewie
Terracotta Army

Reply #644 on: May 30, 2017, 12:27:26 PM

I just picked up one of these yesterday:

Traded in my scion Fr-S for something more practical, better on gas and waaaay more fully featured.

Pretty happy so far but crazy amount of tech in them and I'm still trying to wrap my head around most of it.

Professional Forum Lurker.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #645 on: May 30, 2017, 02:47:43 PM

Type-R?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #646 on: May 30, 2017, 03:22:08 PM

Ricer awesome, for real
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #647 on: May 30, 2017, 07:25:08 PM

Honda Focus  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #648 on: May 31, 2017, 06:37:49 AM

Hey, Congrats.

I haven't seen any of those on the road and wondered what the hell it was at first. Did the Civic undergo a total design change recently?

I'm not a fan of everyone doing the < > rear taillights. They were awful on the Nissans and don't look any better to me here. The 2017 Prius did something similar and I'm thankful they left the Camry alone.

Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #649 on: May 31, 2017, 06:57:30 AM

That's what a Civic basically looked like in Europe the past 20 years.
I haven't seen any of those on the road and wondered what the hell it was at first. Did the Civic undergo a total design change recently?

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #650 on: May 31, 2017, 07:36:39 AM

Really? Maybe it's the angle, maybe it's because it's a Type-R. This is what I've seen when I see Civics. 

There WAS a design change to the lights and rear-end with the 2016 model. The above photo is a 2015 Civic. You can see that the model Stewie bought also has a change to the bumper detailing from the 2016 model.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/honda/civic/2016/#2016-honda-civic-sedan-30

The hood at the top of the rear window also changes the look a bit.

Stewie
Terracotta Army

Reply #651 on: May 31, 2017, 07:56:31 AM

Not a Type R, Just a Civic Sport Touring. (top of the line civic HB trim) The Type R will be available in a few months and is crazy.

I was previously driving a FR-S (Toyota 86/Subaru BRZ) but I wanted something more practical and I was also sick of driving stick to and from work every day.  And while this is not the R it still has 180 hp and drives better than any car in its category.

Some of the main differences in the sedan (or coupe for that matter) like the one that Merusk posted and mine are the HatchBack is slightly shorter which puts the wheels closer to the corners. I have a better suspension. Its slightly lower and with premium fuel I get 180 hp. In my trim level the chrome trim is replaced with black, I get leather and pretty much every option under the sun. Hell I even have an inductive charging pad for your phone in the car.  For a 32k cdn car it really is pretty amazing.

Professional Forum Lurker.
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #652 on: May 31, 2017, 08:25:35 AM

Really? Maybe it's the angle, maybe it's because it's a Type-R. This is what I've seen when I see Civics.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P42Mi4hlM1I
You can find a lot more googling Euro Civic vs NA Civic and there's several more models that will look quite different in different markets. But mostly it boils down to hatchbacks seemingly being preferred in Europe to sedans and I would be prove to that analysis.

Edit: Maybe to explain, I found myself liking the hatchback look more because of the rally car look which itself is of course based on the street car look so it's kind of a feedback loop. I also prefer station wagons to sedans (as again do lots of Europeans) mostly due to practical reasons but also because I like the "rounded out" look more.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 08:34:48 AM by Bungee »

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #653 on: May 31, 2017, 01:34:53 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P42Mi4hlM1I
You can find a lot more googling Euro Civic vs NA Civic and there's several more models that will look quite different in different markets. But mostly it boils down to hatchbacks seemingly being preferred in Europe to sedans and I would be prove to that analysis.

Edit: Maybe to explain, I found myself liking the hatchback look more because of the rally car look which itself is of course based on the street car look so it's kind of a feedback loop. I also prefer station wagons to sedans (as again do lots of Europeans) mostly due to practical reasons but also because I like the "rounded out" look more.

I think it's due to the "Hot Hatch" European thing, we got under-powered grocery machine hatchbacks, Europe got sporty rally/hill-cllimbers. We had muscle cars that guzzled gas when the GTI came out and also how cool does a car sound when it's called a Volkswagen Rabbit?

Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #654 on: June 30, 2017, 11:47:23 AM

I'm considering buying a new car.

I'd prefer a compact SUV, like a Crosstrek, but I am open to something slightly larger.

Apparently head gaskets going out on Subarus are a thing though... soooo.

Suggestions?
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #655 on: June 30, 2017, 12:12:11 PM

Mazda CX5 was the best of the small suv's that I drove.  I also liked the VW Tiguan.  I'd recommend giving both a test drive.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #656 on: June 30, 2017, 12:15:41 PM

I did take a look at the CX3 and CX5, but haven't read anything about the Tiguan.

I'll look at those, thanks.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #657 on: June 30, 2017, 12:17:08 PM

I did take a look at the CX3 and CX5, but haven't read anything about the Tiguan.

I'll look at those, thanks.

Just a heads up on the Tiguan.  I think it's overpriced for what it is, but I really like the ergonomics of german vehicles. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #658 on: June 30, 2017, 12:19:17 PM

I know it's fun to bash American cars, but we had a new Chevy Trax come thru recently. Seemed like a pretty neat little car. AWD, had the WIFI and all that shit if you're a connected kinda person.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #659 on: June 30, 2017, 12:24:41 PM

I know it's fun to bash American cars, but we had a new Chevy Trax come thru recently. Seemed like a pretty neat little car. AWD, had the WIFI and all that shit if you're a connected kinda person.

I almost bought a Jeep renegade when they first came out.  They're just way too underpowered to handle their 4wd system.

-  Mark Twain
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #660 on: June 30, 2017, 12:34:15 PM

I am not a big fan of Hyundai in general after having owned an Elantra that had issues, but I had a Santa Fe as a rental both times I went to Colorado this year and they weren't bad.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #661 on: June 30, 2017, 01:08:03 PM

I'm considering buying a new car.

I'd prefer a compact SUV, like a Crosstrek, but I am open to something slightly larger.

Apparently head gaskets going out on Subarus are a thing though... soooo.

Suggestions?

Price range?

My parents have had the Mazda SUVs for forever and haven't had any problems.

I didn't like the Tiguan when I drove it but that was a good 5-6 years ago. The turbo on it took forever to kick in.

-Rasix
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #662 on: June 30, 2017, 01:13:37 PM

Basic requirements are AWD and heated seats.  The wife demands the heated seats.

I'm not looking to spend more than about 30k.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #663 on: June 30, 2017, 01:24:59 PM

I liked a couple of the Mazdas and the Tiguan, but my favorite was the Crosstrek. Since we were shopping for the fiancee (who was replacing a Matrix), she ultimately just bought a Golf.

Those Mazdas were really fun to drive, but you gotta pay attention to the loadouts, some were pretty sucky (probably drove 5 builds, because the lot was slammed so the sales guy was just tossing me keys to anything I wanted to drive). I slammed the shit out of them, doing agility and speed tests :)
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #664 on: June 30, 2017, 01:28:55 PM

The Crosstreck is just a lifted Impreza.  If you go Subaru, she should probably like a Forester more.

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 33 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Buying a new car, need some advice  
Jump to: