Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:33:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Buying a new car, need some advice 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 33 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Buying a new car, need some advice  (Read 343154 times)
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #350 on: January 24, 2014, 04:37:17 AM

Well, my car was a previous model year car so if had been on a dealer lot for over a year so it had more miles than is typical. Most new cars are sold with as few miles as possible. But if I see a car I like at a lot, even if there are 4 of them in different colors they will usually let me drive the one I choose.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #351 on: January 24, 2014, 04:45:03 AM

Might also be the high price of new cars here, people are really picky about them.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #352 on: January 24, 2014, 05:17:45 PM

They're sold after a few months, usually at around 2k miles. 
Sounds more like a demo car, which can influence the price over in the US as well.  Cars here are the same way, some models get higher miles on them than you'd think and still be considered "new" while others have barely any.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #353 on: January 25, 2014, 09:33:06 AM

We do have loaner cars here, especially for higher end brands (BMW, Mercedes, etc) that are given to folks while their car is in the shop. My Mercedes was a loaner car that I picked up with 8k miles, 1yo, and at a significant discount. Seemed fine and was dealer maintained. Didn't like how it drove though, so went another route eventually.

- Viin
Nerf
Terracotta Army

The Presence of Your Vehicle Has Been Documented

Reply #354 on: January 26, 2014, 12:49:10 AM

Is there anyone who owns an M3 that isn't a complete douchenozzle? I thought that was one of the requirements?

Damn near every single one of my friends has at least 1 m3, and I've got a Z3M.

Wait, shit.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #355 on: January 28, 2014, 11:27:15 AM

Holy poop, the scrape repairs came out perfect, the old car looks spotless! Now I can feel good about doing test drives and asking for quotes, which is good because the Nissan Juke Nismo is looking suhhhweet. Also, they stopped selling the CR-Z here because of low demand, and there's one last car in the dealership's inventory that's been sitting there for a year, 2k miles on it. All of the trim and 15% off the sticker price right now, I wonder how much further I could haggle. Assuming I like it of course, this is going to be a difficult decision.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #356 on: January 28, 2014, 12:13:16 PM

Holy poop, the scrape repairs came out perfect, the old car looks spotless! Now I can feel good about doing test drives and asking for quotes, which is good because the Nissan Juke Nismo is looking suhhhweet. Also, they stopped selling the CR-Z here because of low demand, and there's one last car in the dealership's inventory that's been sitting there for a year, 2k miles on it. All of the trim and 15% off the sticker price right now, I wonder how much further I could haggle. Assuming I like it of course, this is going to be a difficult decision.

I adore the CR-Z look, but would rather them have a K24 series engine in them.

Then again, I really like the new Type-R Civic coming to a place NOT the USA soon.
http://jalopnik.com/next-honda-civic-type-r-harbinger-of-more-vtec-turbos-1467391006

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #357 on: January 29, 2014, 12:20:39 PM

Any have experience with brokers for buying a new car?  pro or con? 
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #358 on: January 30, 2014, 07:36:44 AM

I assume they charge a fee.  Why would you pay more?  Finding a car is not hard.  The time involved is directly related to how picky you are.

I have never played WoW.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #359 on: January 30, 2014, 03:44:56 PM

Was just talking to a co-worker about that. I love using a broker. Especially for new cars. The price they quote you includes their commission, so there is no extra on top.  And the price quoted is always better than I can get on my own. (On a used car, good ones will also do a mechanical inspection for you before they get the car and deliver it to your house - and even take your trade in!)

Great experience for me.

- Viin
Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #360 on: January 30, 2014, 09:08:08 PM

Well, one issue is that no one is giving me a straight price.  I was trying to ask about costs per model (Subaru Foresters) and costs per additional item, etc.  I visited one dealer, and later they still insist on me returning there to get quotes.  I do not have time to visit 5-6 dealerships.  Really I don't have the weekend hours to spare.  I'm not lazy.  I have family and work stuff.  Things are very rough time wise.  Add I don't expect to close a deal via email, but I think some basic price data beyond MSRP would be obliging.

So, ya -- I might need someone to fetch that deal data per dealer.  Makes sense?
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #361 on: January 30, 2014, 09:14:46 PM

Do you know which trim level/options you want?

Just look at something like autotrader or cars.com, then contact the dealer through there. It is how I found my GTI and my friend found his Outback. You will basically get the best price that way.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #362 on: January 30, 2014, 09:26:21 PM

Foresters are currently in super-high demand, at least in our area.  There was like a two-month wait for ours to get here and they didn't even really care if we left a deposit because it was gonna sell to someone if we flaked.  I think when it arrived it doubled their inventory for the one day it sat there before we picked it up.

It's gonna be difficult to get price quotes if they're similarly scarce in your neck of the woods.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #363 on: January 31, 2014, 05:51:35 AM

Well fuck me, my car seems to be protesting my plans to sell it. I had the bulbs on the headlights changed, and already a week later one of them is burnt again. The customer service person was kind of annoying too when I called to ask them to do it again.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #364 on: February 07, 2014, 05:08:22 AM

Woot, went and did some test drives. I also got offers on the Fiat, way higher than I'd anticipated. The race is now between Seat Leon FR 1.8 TSI and Nissan Juke Nismo (both FWD and manual).

The Seat is a refined thing inside. Fast but can give good gas mileage.
The Nissan has all of the electronics but feels a bit more working class. It's hell of fast but a bit of a guzzler because of the sporty gear ratios.
Both drive pretty much equally nice. Seat has better suspension, but Nissan has an awesome high driving position.

Prolly going to come down to money, so whoever can give the better deal wins. Or alternatively, whichever salesperson turns annoying first loses.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 05:10:19 AM by jakonovski »
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #365 on: February 08, 2014, 03:26:58 AM

Well I guess the annoyance factor came up. Nissan's dude called me at work and was all like "hey I forgot to say the rate offer expires today", then I was all like dude I'm in the middle of something, call you in a bit, and now he's not answering the phone.

So unless he comes back groveling with an even better offer, Seat it will be.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #366 on: February 08, 2014, 06:10:25 AM

The Juke is fugly, go with the Seat.

Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #367 on: February 08, 2014, 04:05:55 PM

Buying a new car is going to be up there with getting your teeth drilled or passing a kidney stone for me soon.  I guess being unhelpful is a negotiation tactic.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #368 on: February 08, 2014, 05:54:00 PM

Use a broker! (do those exist in EU?)

- Viin
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #369 on: February 10, 2014, 03:12:20 AM

Welp, got the Juke Nismo. The sales guy gave me about 1k worth of extra discount and trim, so I considered that apology enough.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Now I have to wait a month because of tax reasons.

Fake edit: and for Ingmar, the gas economy difference should get offset by smaller service and insurance costs.

The car looks pretty much like this:

« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 03:20:48 AM by jakonovski »
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #370 on: February 10, 2014, 01:54:56 PM

Welp, got the Juke Nismo. The sales guy gave me about 1k worth of extra discount and trim, so I considered that apology enough.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Now I have to wait a month because of tax reasons.

Fake edit: and for Ingmar, the gas economy difference should get offset by smaller service and insurance costs.

The car looks pretty much like this:

Congrats!  The Juke is a cool little car.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #371 on: February 16, 2014, 12:09:12 PM

Well, we got a new car.  Sharing this because 1) I know nothing about cars, 2) I don't care to, 3) I don't like the sales process (prefer to play a card game), and 4) kind of a funny story?

Basically, I wanted a new Subaru Forester as a jumped up grocery getter (I've had one for years and years) and because of 1 and 2 I didn't want to do any real research.  I had called and emailed around and visited some show rooms. Nobody was helping me along; specifically, no one would answer how much the MSRP+ would be with x trim option.  One guy that was actually recommended to me spent literally 5mins explaining why the ONE trim option I wanted (GPS nav) was a bad idea.  Terrible speech rec, inaccurate maps, "PITA", "computers are complicated."  You know what?  Computers are dumb.  Getting through to people is hard.  I tried to explain that Lianka my SO made her living with ASR and was finishing grad work on ASR, and then I spent more time over the phone trying to explain what ASR was...  I know the limits of ASR, and I still wanted what I wanted. So, yeah the only guy that I was making progress with tried to talk me out of the one thing I wanted.  Not realizing that that ONE thing may have been important.

Friday afternoon I called back to the only woman salesperson I had met with but I had not replied to (my miss).    Instant sale.  She asked what I wanted, make/model/GPS, said there was "several around" (which recommended guy said there were none), asked me how much I wanted to put down, how much a monthly payment I wanted to make, talked to their finance guy, called me back, took my CC for a deposit, and less than 24hrs later I had the vehicle with only 71miles on it. 

I'm baffled.  I felt like I was trying to give my money to these other sales guys and they didn't get it.  Totally motivated buyer.  Didn't care about color, trim, other than ONE thing... Maybe the lesson is also look for the non pushy woman?  Definitely next time.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #372 on: February 17, 2014, 12:14:43 PM

A safe bet is that they had models on their lot they were trying to get rid of and wanted to push you into one of those instead. I worked a short stint for a dealership, and the car buyer was convinced that people only wanted silver, white, and tan cars because that was the majority of sales. Pointing out that that was also the only colors he purchased didn't really make sense to him. He specifically had his sales people push to sell cars on the lot instead of ordering in what a customer wanted, so your story sounds real familiar. It's a dumb way to do business, especially with the quantity of dealerships available.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Jimbo
Terracotta Army

still drives a stick shift

Reply #373 on: June 19, 2015, 08:09:34 AM

Well, all that extra overtime paid off :)
I was on my way to Brazil to work some extra shifts and saw this yellow Jeep in the used Ford lot. Had to stop the next morning, and ended up buying it that day! Was what I wanted (2000-2004 Jeep 4.0 Wrangler with under 100,000 -has 82,000 on it and it good shape).

Wasn't planning on getting it, had been driving an '89 Mercury Cougar that kept having goof shit break, like a month ago the right automatic window motor went to hell so I couldn't roll down the right window, then 2 weeks ago the air condition went out along with the blower motor for the A/C, so I really didn't want to keep it and didn't want to dump more money, and this came along :)
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #374 on: June 19, 2015, 08:27:22 AM

Pretty please change the coolant regularly. Thank you.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Jimbo
Terracotta Army

Reply #375 on: June 19, 2015, 05:59:35 PM

Amen to that on regular maintenance. I used to do my own fluid changes and flushes, now I usually pay my friend who is a shop owner to do it. One of my friends from work wants me to go wheeling with her, so eventually I'll have to go stomping in the mud with her.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #376 on: June 19, 2015, 06:58:35 PM

Is that a euphemism?  why so serious?

Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #377 on: June 20, 2015, 04:51:09 PM

Why can't it be both  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #378 on: June 20, 2015, 05:08:55 PM

Is that a gnome?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #379 on: June 20, 2015, 09:27:07 PM

The thing in the yard, in the second pic? I'm going with rain gauge.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #380 on: June 22, 2015, 12:06:54 PM

Hmm.  Not a gnome.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Jimbo
Terracotta Army

Reply #381 on: June 22, 2015, 08:22:19 PM

Gnome is up by the front door. The house is the one I grew up in, it is my Mom & Dad's farm (except we don't farm much any more...).

http://40.media.tumblr.com/d97daf8762d53aa22e278705e49b6d3c/tumblr_nqdn6hDEje1skz7tyo1_500.jpg

Gaston the Gnome is outside our door here, and I've got one near my front door too (house Gnomes :) ). No rain gauge, it is a decorative flag by the flag pole. The Jeep has been pure fun, amazed at the amount of Jeep owners who don't wave...
Jimbo
Terracotta Army

Reply #382 on: July 04, 2016, 02:57:18 PM

Hey Sky and any other FJ Cruiser owners, any real complaints on them? It is sad as hell Toyota stopped making them  sad My son's Liberty is freaking nickle and dime'ing me to death, so I'm thinking of just getting a used 2007 FJ that is really sweet. He doesn't like the Wranglers, so the other thing might be a pickup for him, which case would be a Toyota or Ford (but Ford stopped the Ranger and manual transmissions...grrr).

Oh TheWalrus, you were way right! I changed everything as far as oil and coolant and the damn head still exploded on a trip! Then I found out the 4.0 had an imperfection in them that made them prone to overheating and blowing gaskets and warping the heads...ugh..so advice is if you're looking for a 1997 to 2006, look for 2003 where they fixed it or go ahead and pay to upgrade the cooling system and/or head. I love driving it, but this 2000 Wrangler has been a full of gremlins, little shit keeps breaking on it. How is the 2007 and up Wranglers holding up lately? My friends that have them don't seem to have the troubles that I do.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #383 on: July 04, 2016, 03:47:54 PM

How is the 2007 and up Wranglers holding up lately? My friends that have them don't seem to have the troubles that I do.
Electrical problems and suspension issues.  They aren't terrible, but more and more electronics over the years and they're now hitting the age where nickle and diming is going to be coming on and hitting you.  If you're fine with that and able to fix it yourself or know a trusted mechanic, go for it.
Jimbo
Terracotta Army

Reply #384 on: July 04, 2016, 06:13:46 PM

Thanks, hell that is one of my issues, I have frame rot on both sides of my Wrangler now, that and replacing the water pump, radiator, & heater core (& thermastat, & hoses/clamps), are pressing issues on my Wrangler. I should have crawled under & tapped & poked all over the frame, but hind sight is 20/20. I used to be able to tackle a radiator no problem, hell we did one on a 85 thunderbird in our clinic parking lot back '93. But now I get frustrated working on them like I used to... Bith of us are Volunteer Firemen & need something for all weather response & ability on the farmy parents have.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 33 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Buying a new car, need some advice  
Jump to: