Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:56:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  RIFT  |  Topic: What went right. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What went right.  (Read 110083 times)
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: March 03, 2011, 05:55:50 PM

Kudos then, Lum!  Let's hope more games pick up on it.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: March 04, 2011, 10:38:41 AM

Even though they are spoilered everywhere the puzzles on every zone so far are a really nice touch.

I am the .00000001428%
Gunzwei
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: March 04, 2011, 11:58:15 AM

Ran my first expert dungeon (rift's version of heroics) and was pleased to see the difficulty bump up a good bit. Also the loot grind for them seems somewhat minimal to get the tier1 dungeon set if you ran all of the tier 1 expert dungeons.
WayAbvPar

Reply #38 on: March 04, 2011, 01:09:20 PM

I wish I could experience this AoE looting firsthand, but I always loot right before I die, then loot the other mob after respawn and kill it. I need to lrn2play and/or change my soul choices.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #39 on: March 04, 2011, 01:16:41 PM

I wish I could experience this AoE looting firsthand, but I always loot right before I die, then loot the other mob after respawn and kill it. I need to lrn2play and/or change my soul choices.

You could bear through it until mid teens and see if your suvivability/damage change some.  But likely you need to look at how you're distributing your talent points (focus on your main early on and only spend extra points (you get one every 3 levels) in a secondary) and perhaps add a secondary that gives you some survivability (riftstalker or ranger(that pet is everywhere)).  

I wasn't happy with melee rogue survivability early on, so I didn't stick with it long in beta.

-Rasix
WayAbvPar

Reply #40 on: March 04, 2011, 01:56:57 PM

I think I may switch to a bard/marksman build or something for leveling, and then maybe back to melee/stealth for PvP at 50. I love the way I can really vary the experience with one character...such a great system (outside of skill based!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?).

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #41 on: March 04, 2011, 06:11:12 PM

I think I may switch to a bard/marksman build or something for leveling, and then maybe back to melee/stealth for PvP at 50. I love the way I can really vary the experience with one character...such a great system (outside of skill based!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?).

Bard is awesome. I was having fun with my Nightblade but a bit squishy in PvE - set up a second role bard/ranger and it rocks. I normally reallyndon't like bard type classes but they got this one right.

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: March 04, 2011, 07:02:18 PM

Ranger/Bard would probably be better WAP, so you have a pet that can tank for you. MM doesn't really have a lot of abilities that can be used in melee, and 0p ranger pet is only useful into the teens.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: March 04, 2011, 10:12:31 PM

Something I'm glad to see again after a long time playing games that didn't have it, is dyes.  Although this could be improved by having it function the way it does in EQ: dye a body slot, any item you wear in that slot becomes that color.

I'm also still finding new ways to be impressed by how nice the ease of switching roles is.  In a warfront recently I went in as a saboteur, switched to a bard when I saw we were low on healing, then shifted to riftstalker when I grabbed the fang.  Now I'm picturing a group of clerics or rogues or mages who, every time the healer gets CC'd or killed, another one of them transforms into a healer and the former healer becomes a DPS or something.  The enemy team would have little chance of figuring out who the healer happens to be at the moment.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: March 06, 2011, 09:13:35 PM

Standing around Meridian, at the manufactory section of the city, and all the erstwhile crafters hard at work making shoes and metal pants, I kinda like requiring players to find a loom or forge or whatever to do their work. It feels community-building to me.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: March 07, 2011, 06:56:57 AM

Pre 30 go Full Ranger with extra points in Assassin and 0pt Riftstalker for the free blink.

That is if you care about using the best leveling build.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #46 on: March 07, 2011, 07:15:36 AM

I found the most fun solo leveling for me was heavy assassin/light bladedancer. Stealth and stuns for the win. Ranged and pet just weren't fun to play.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #47 on: March 07, 2011, 07:16:50 AM

Anyone found a reasonable leveling spec for Warriors yet? 
ShenMolo
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: March 07, 2011, 07:36:06 AM

Just did 1-20 with this 14 Champion / 6 Paragon / 4 Riftblade like this:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0cukL.x0z.VI00c.m

Damage was very nice through those levels, just mowing stuff down and having the ability to handle adds is nice. The Paragon Tree has some sweet abilities for 2H weapons. Don't let the dual wield tag fool you.

From the Paragon Tree, Strike Like Iron is an awesome opener. It's not uncommon to enter a fight with Attack Points, especially since you are using Bull Rush and Flamespear to charge all the time. Flamespear gives you the ranged attack for pulls (while adding a Attack Point). Starting with Strike Like Iron means all subsequent attacks are 30% extra damage since fights rarely last more than 12 seconds.

Also from Paragon is Rising Waterfall , which is a great second attack since it has to follow something else. Lastly Way of the River is a +3% Crit chance 1 hr buff.

From Riftblade, you get a ranged attack Flamespear, and another 1hr buff that adds 100% electrical damage and procs very often with this build.

From Champion you get another buff, some AoE, and all the 2 hander crit goodness.

With this build you literally mow stuff down with a 2 hander, if that's the way you like to play.

The downside is that starting around level 20, you are either drinking a lot, or fighting with around half health. As drinks top you off very quickly (3-4 seconds) it's not too bad but can be a little annoying. I havent used this build in the 20's yet and will experiment with some mitigation/self healing and see if it's worth giving up the burst damage goodness.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 07:42:03 AM by ShenMolo »
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #49 on: March 07, 2011, 07:46:21 AM

Anyone found a reasonable leveling spec for Warriors yet? 

Up to about 20-21 I was primarily champ/paragon, which wasn't bad, if a bit squishy.  Since then stuck with a paladin/reaver tanking spec, mostly just so I could learn the rotation a bit better.

It's pretty ridiculous.  You don't take a lot of damage and still kill fast enough with all of your reactives being off the GCD.  Magical mobs aren't incredibly fun at the moment, but if I get 5 melee mobs on me, I'm in no danger of dying.  I can use the reaver dot spreading mechanic to get dots on all mobs, hit both my paladin AEs and then start destroying stuff with my reactives since the more stuff hitting me gives me more opportunity to do so.   It's not a DPS spec, since it relies on stuff punching you in the face, but it sure does nicely as a quest grinder.

Champ/paragon was coming into it's own a bit at around 20.  I did enough damage that small groups weren't a problem.  But for leveling purposes, I'm likely to stick with this paladin combination since it keeps getting better in the 20s (mobs get damaged when you block, reactives heal for 20% damage, etc etc).

-Rasix
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: March 07, 2011, 08:00:47 AM

Reaver/riftblade is an absolutely ridiculous levelling spec, you actually go out of your way to pull multiple mobs. With reaver it's all aoe dots and health regen, combined with riftblade for some nice single target dps you become a walking cloud of death. I add beastmaster for a pet to have some off the GCD dps and it's a good thing.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: March 07, 2011, 08:02:17 AM

Ditto on paladin/reaver.  You will feel slow killing one mob at a time, but gather 3-4-5 of them and they die at the same exact speed as one so you are killing 5 times as fast, and ending up with full health.

I am the .00000001428%
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #52 on: March 07, 2011, 02:44:51 PM

I am very happy with the gargantuan collector's edition box.  I thought the box that came in the mail was the external HD my parents got be for my birthday today, it was so heavy.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: March 08, 2011, 06:26:14 AM

Granite Falls is freaking gorgeous. One of the reasons I left WoW was because travel was too simplified; there was no opportunity to travel the world and just enjoy it. I loved riding through those rocky canyons and finding a damn waterfall town.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #54 on: March 08, 2011, 07:51:32 AM

Granite Falls is freaking gorgeous. One of the reasons I left WoW was because travel was too simplified; there was no opportunity to travel the world and just enjoy it. I loved riding through those rocky canyons and finding a damn waterfall town.

We'll take shit for this, but I totally agree.  There's something to be said for keeping people on the ground, actually looking at game content instead of hovering above it, swooping in to x of y for z.  I really, really hope they keep it.  It helps keep focus on world pvp, too.  Can't just fly away!  And the portal system is perfect - having one spot per zone to get back to Sanctum is great.  It just feels perfectly balanced to me.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #55 on: March 08, 2011, 08:14:08 AM

I really enjoy the hell out of exploring this world.  The artifact collectibles are just icing on the cake, because it's almost certain that while I'm wandering around exploring off the main paths, up the mountains or whatever, I'll stumble over some collectible goodies too.

Really the only gripe I have is overroad travel is a PITA due to aggressive critters on or right next to the roads in many areas.  I can deal with overland travel, augmented by mounts for better speed, and portals for longer distance fast travel, but if I'm going to have to hike along the roads I'd love to not constantly be dodging critters or fighting my way through.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: March 08, 2011, 09:35:46 AM

I wouldn't mind mobs on the road if 1) being on the road made your toon move faster, 2) there was some faction to gain for keeping the road clear.  I would really like it if roads actually served a purpose other then different scenery.
WayAbvPar

Reply #57 on: March 08, 2011, 10:12:50 AM

I switched to about equal bits of marksman and riftstalker (or is it blade? I can never remember- the rogue one), with a 0 point sab for the snare and instant finisher in PvP. I like it for PvE since the tanking abilities let me survive a bit longer (and give a melee skill and finisher). In PvP it kicks ass- I often finish in top 2 or 3. Ditto for rifts- marksman spec rules for them. Have only run 1 dungeon so far, but the tank spec came in handy when our tank went down- I took over as a temp tank and we managed to kill the boss.

I am willing to bet this build is completely gimped, and that I will revisit it in the weeks to come and just shake my head. But it is fun, and that is the important thing right now.

Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: March 08, 2011, 05:13:31 PM

A small thing but something I really appreciated was the warrior Ability powers not decaying. Even to the point where if I had three before I logged, they would be right there waiting for me when I returned.

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: March 08, 2011, 05:59:27 PM

Yeah, I also like that at least some rogues can make use of combo points left on the target when the target dies (looking at riftstalkers here, not sure if there's others).  That's one of the things that I loathe the most about the combo point mechanic in general, but the heal when the enemy dies with combo points on them is quite nice.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #60 on: March 08, 2011, 06:56:17 PM

What I find I particularly like is that during rift events, the planar invaders attack everything, even mobs that are aggro to you. It's consistent with the whole "we're here to destroy everything" vibe.

That said, I've been playing a champion/riftstalker/voidknight spec. Not bad, gets the job done.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #61 on: March 08, 2011, 07:06:16 PM

What I find I particularly like is that during rift events, the planar invaders attack everything, even mobs that are aggro to you. It's consistent with the whole "we're here to destroy everything" vibe.

That said, I've been playing a champion/riftstalker/voidknight spec. Not bad, gets the job done.

Yeah I like that a lot. When there's a narrative that I'm involved in but not necessarily central too it's more enjoyable, and having NPC factions that are hostile to each other helps. This is something mmorpg's can do uniquely and should do more of.

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: March 09, 2011, 07:18:06 AM

If you want a good soloing character early on bard/hunter is super. Once you get 8 points into bard to get your cadence heal your pet is pretty much immune to mobs. You don't kill as fast as pure DPSers but there is zero downtime fast and steady pace and if you are in a rift or invasion your cadence heals +motifs are amazingly good.
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: March 09, 2011, 07:44:06 AM

So, today I purchased whatever the second craftable leather hat is and made one. Apparently the plan is, kill some guy, skin his head slide it on.

Egger suits. why so serious?.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #64 on: March 09, 2011, 01:27:20 PM

Looting while mounted.  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: March 10, 2011, 03:05:00 PM

Yet another small thing from the really good idea department: they have all the types of armor from quest rewards in the same spot. i.e. I wear chain, it is always in the first slot; plate for my warrior, last slot.

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #66 on: March 10, 2011, 04:20:25 PM

Started up a defiant character, as my entire experience in the game has been Guardian.

I actually find the defiant story more compelling. Being sent back from a future where the world is all but destroyed to stop skynet Regulos? Shit, I named my marksman KyleReese.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: March 10, 2011, 09:26:56 PM

Regarding that gripe I posted in the other thread about broken quests... they fixed the Podovaxus bug in yesterday's patch. I can live with a turnaround time like this...  awesome, for real

Luda
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: March 14, 2011, 09:22:53 AM

Started up a defiant character, as my entire experience in the game has been Guardian.

I actually find the defiant story more compelling. Being sent back from a future where the world is all but destroyed to stop skynet Regulos? Shit, I named my marksman KyleReese.

awesome, for real Heart
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: March 14, 2011, 11:20:44 AM

Just announced: coin lock, if you login from an ip far from yours it locks your coin until you authorize it via email.  Simple and elegant, took four weeks to come up and its already better than anything wow has thought up.

I am the .00000001428%
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  RIFT  |  Topic: What went right.  
Jump to: