Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:35:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  RIFT  |  Topic: General Quick Questions Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: General Quick Questions Thread  (Read 125385 times)
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: March 11, 2011, 07:56:34 AM

Yeah seriously Draegan that kicks ass.

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: March 11, 2011, 08:23:00 AM

I ran around and did all the lake solace cairnes at 30 and I must say it was nice to have 4 good blue items I could use for a few minutes swimmin around.
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: March 11, 2011, 08:25:05 AM

Speaking of cairns, and the Lake Solace ones in particular, is there some sort of limit on the number of them you can loot in a day, or something?  I've done the Lake Solace achievement across a couple different characters now, and every time, I'll get one blue/purple, a green or two, and then the rest of the cairns just give useless junk items that only sell for 1s.  I had one character that got a green item on the first two, and nothing but junk after that.

Is this intended, crappy luck on my part, or something else?

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: March 11, 2011, 08:26:30 AM

Cairn is a little treasure trove.  Open it up and get a chance at a level appropriate blue/purple.  Each cairn has a level limit to it so you won't get an item over that level.

All you have to do is get to them.

If you want added entertainment, wait for one to respawn after you've looted it once and loot it again.  

Is this intended, crappy luck on my part, or something else?

I believe (given my experience with them) that it's intended.  They are a nice reward for finding them.  Not a treasure trove to be used repeatedly. 

Some of the junk loot is entertaining... which is what I was getting at in the first part.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 08:28:09 AM by Nebu »

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: March 11, 2011, 08:36:22 AM

Lake Solace was bugged before the last patch: you'd get the achievement after 4 cairns, and the rest would just give junk. They fixed this in the patch, but I haven't gone there with my alt to see how it works now...

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: March 11, 2011, 08:38:03 AM

Carins are a one time thing, after that it gives grey items.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: March 11, 2011, 08:38:34 AM

Blue/purple might be exagerrating, I've only gotten greens out of them.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: March 11, 2011, 08:40:47 AM

Blue/purple might be exagerrating, I've only gotten greens out of them.

Doing the puzzles and cairns in Shimmer, IPP and Stillmoor I received 4 blues and 2 purples, all level 50 items.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: March 11, 2011, 09:14:31 AM

Yeah i've yet to see anything but blues and purples.

I am the .00000001428%
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: March 11, 2011, 09:16:06 AM

"wait to do them until you're 50 or you screw yourself out of a blue/purple"

K

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: March 11, 2011, 09:17:09 AM

I'm not 50, i've been doing them at the appropriate level for max benefit from the rewards.  Jackass.

I am the .00000001428%
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: March 11, 2011, 09:38:17 AM

Same here.. I've been doing puzzles/cairns when I was at the zone's level. Most of the time I'd get blues; I got purples twice (both 'of the fortress' though, ffuuuuu), and greens 3 times or so. The weapon my level 45 cleric is using right now was from a level 45 puzzle, which is nice.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: March 11, 2011, 10:29:25 AM

"wait to do them until you're 50 or you screw yourself out of a blue/purple"

K

Don't be a dick.

Each zone's puzzle and cairns have a level limit.  IPP/Shimmer/Stillmoor are 50.  Droughtlands and Moonglade are 45.  etc. etc.  So if you want the maximum possible return, do them at that level.
Ice Cream Emperor
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: March 11, 2011, 04:48:43 PM

If anything you should just do them when you really want some new items, unless you are auctioning or salvaging the item I really don't see how a blue item at level 30 is any better for someone than a blue item at level 23. Either way you get a blue item that you might be able to use for the next X levels.
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: March 11, 2011, 06:10:41 PM

If anything you should just do them when you really want some new items, unless you are auctioning or salvaging the item I really don't see how a blue item at level 30 is any better for someone than a blue item at level 23. Either way you get a blue item that you might be able to use for the next X levels.

This. Except for those that scale up to 50. Best to wait till 50 for them.  It might be a while before you outlevel them.

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: March 11, 2011, 06:12:50 PM

As a Justicar I should be prioritizing Int over Wis (since Int is SP/Crit into AP/Crit while Wis is just SP into AP), right?

Edit: Should I be using a 2h, or sword/board if I'm just leveling with no intent of tanking?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 06:24:54 PM by Rendakor »

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: March 11, 2011, 06:25:57 PM

Clerics, as I understand it, get 75% of their spell power from wisdom and only 25% from intelligence, unlike mages who apparently get 50/50.  So I think the additional 25% spell power is probably more valuable than the crit, though I haven't looked into it in enough detail to be certain.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: March 11, 2011, 06:34:22 PM

Ahh, good call. I only briefly glanced at the tooltips to see that they both provided spell power; I didn't look at the actual %.

veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: March 11, 2011, 07:28:30 PM

If Justicar is your primary source for DPS I would use a shield since the best Justicar melee attack requires a shield.
lac
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: March 12, 2011, 12:36:34 AM

Justicar is a healtank, no? I enjoyed playing it but I grind through mobs way faster with a druid/shaman build.
Using a one hander / shield with a soultree like that doesn't help either.
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: March 12, 2011, 01:04:23 AM

Justicars need a shield because their mana regen comes from block.

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: March 12, 2011, 01:53:24 AM

I wouldn't say 1h+shield is necessarily the way to go. I use 2h almost exclusively; there are two mana regen abilities on 1min cooldowns that each get ~60% mana back if you use an ability every GCD. I just alternate them and only run out if I have to spam even justice for more than 15-20 mobs [!] when chain pulling. If you use a shield, your spellpower will be gimped, which makes you do less damage, get less parry from the spellpower->parry talent and do less self-healing. I'd probably use a shield in dungeons to make damage predictable for the healer, but that's about it.

Oh yeah, if you want to go 1h+shield, you have to wastespend at least 6, but up to 11 points in justicar for it to be worth it (precept of refuge, the regen-from-block 5-point talent, and improved precept of refuge is optional). Those points are at a premium when leveling, and you can instead spend it in the shaman or druid trees for shields, better self-healing, extra mana regen (see above) and more damage. Just my opinion, though.

e: when soloing, the only attack I use (except when killing solo mobs, which is slow and kind of bad in a justicar build -- go inquis for that) is Even Justice, which kills 5 mobs at a time...

lac
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: March 12, 2011, 03:06:41 AM

I never had mana issues while playing a two handed justicar. Pop the mana regen ability at 60% and you are good to go. Soloing that is. In prolonged rift battles I use the occasional mana potion through a cooldown but that's really rare.
Unless you are tanking I can't really think of why you'd use a one hander and a shield. It slows you down.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: March 12, 2011, 05:38:24 AM

Thing I learnt today: Right-clicking on an item in your bag while in the AH browse tab does a search for that item. Useful, if you're looking for typical selling prices.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: March 12, 2011, 09:12:19 AM

Ok, 2h it is. Thanks guys.

squirrel
Contributor

Reply #95 on: March 12, 2011, 01:38:27 PM

We made a visual for you.  Spoiler for size.

Some of these have moved slightly - the Gloamwood cairn for instance is at 5575 3210.

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: March 13, 2011, 06:04:10 PM

Does anyone know what level the various puzzles scale to? I know Freemarch stops at 20, and I think Stonefield is 25 or 30 (I did this one early because I didn't realize they scale) but ideally I'd like to do the rest at the cap so I get the most valuable item possible.

http://www.kfguides.com/rift/puzzlesguide.php

Warning: That site also spoils how to do them (some explanations better than others).

Just in case you don't want spoilers, here's the level caps for puzzles/cairns in each zone:

Freemarch/Silverwood - 30
Stonefield/Gloamwood/Scarlet Gorge - 35
Scarwood Reach - 40
Moonshade Highlands/Droughtlands - 45
Iron Pine Peaks/Stillmoor - 50

What is the max level of the cairns in Lake of Solace?

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: March 13, 2011, 06:19:09 PM

Lake of Solace counts as Freemarch, so max level 30.

ShenMolo
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: March 13, 2011, 07:21:47 PM

Popped every Lake of Solace secret loot today with a lvl 18 rogue and all I got were greens. Daggers & leather, but all greens.
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: March 14, 2011, 02:13:47 AM

I did it on my new Rogue a day or so ago, and I got mostly greens as well, with two blue items.  The problem, however, wasn't the color, but that 70% of them were 'of the Fortress'.  The rest were 'of the Dominator', which is Str/Dex, and 1 item that was 'of the Malicious', or something like that, that was Dex/End.

As a Runebreaker, it's fine, as I can just turn them in to mats for crafting, but it would still be nice to get something other than 'of the Fortress' all the bloody time.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: March 14, 2011, 03:09:41 AM

Yeah, about 4/5 of the blue/epic stuff I got on my cleric was 'of the Fortress'. It's an easy way to get the "omg you disenchanted an epic!" achievement, though...  why so serious?

WayAbvPar

Reply #101 on: March 14, 2011, 01:10:59 PM

They really could use a big influx of new goodies in the itemization end of things. Magic items are really dull and mundane (and pretty goddamned rare, at least for anything worth using).

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: March 14, 2011, 01:15:08 PM

They really could use a big influx of new goodies in the itemization end of things. Magic items are really dull and mundane (and pretty goddamned rare, at least for anything worth using).

This might just be a Good Thing. I hate the idea that there is gear you just *have* to have at any level, as opposed to having mostly mundane gear you augment with runes and temporary buffs (scrolls, potions, etc.).

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: March 14, 2011, 01:18:27 PM

If all gear is going to have the same stats and just more, there is no reason to even have them. Might as well just be level 25 tank chestpiece, level 40 tank chiestpiece etc etc. Rift seemed to want all those neat consumables to be a big thing but they are all on the same timer and most dont seem very useful, or at least more useful than using a potion.

WayAbvPar

Reply #104 on: March 14, 2011, 02:43:05 PM

Just mixing up the stat bonuses and names of the items (OF THE FORTRESS!!!) would be nice.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  RIFT  |  Topic: General Quick Questions Thread  
Jump to: