Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:14:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  RIFT  |  Topic: Soul opinions 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Soul opinions  (Read 126886 times)
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: February 28, 2011, 12:18:38 AM

Don't forget the immunity timer - first squirrel lasts for 12 sec, second for 6 sec, third is immune (for 30 sec I believe?). Of course you should keep track of this timer and cycle your squirrelification among the enemy team. While doing this, you're also putting a ranged 50% mortal strike on the kill target and mana draining healers. 'Course, if a melee or ranged physical damage dealer looks at you the wrong way, you're probably dead. Oh, and give up trying to actually *kill* stuff as a dominator. Leave that to the other players. awesome, for real

There seems to be some limited reprieve for silences at least later on. Clerics get a 2-second silence reduction high in the templar tree, and I seem to remember an enchant reducing silence duration by 2sec. If those stack, it basically means only 5-second silences count for anything; if they don't (likely), it still turns 'long' silences (in WOW terms) from a strangulate to a wind shear, which is pretty huge.

edit: Mages shouldn't need to drink, really. Put 6 points into warlock for lifetap -> profit. The warlock HP drain spell or reconstruct (8 pts into warlock) can deal with the HP issue.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 12:26:54 AM by Zetor »

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: February 28, 2011, 06:02:30 AM

There might be a lot of cc but there is also A LOT of cc breaks and cc reduction talents.  At least as a warrior i have cc breakers and duration lowerers in practically every single soul.  If you are going to pvp planning your character defensively is just as important as getting those big numbers.

I am the .00000001428%
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: February 28, 2011, 06:21:32 AM

The potential for theory crafting is really making me enjoy this game.  Mages, in particular, require a lot of thought in their builds.  I see people complaining about Mages on the forums as being weak when, in fact, their strength comes from utility rather than pure dps.  My warlock/archon/chloro is a joy to play. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: February 28, 2011, 07:39:59 AM

The potential for theory crafting is really making me enjoy this game.  Mages, in particular, require a lot of thought in their builds.  I see people complaining about Mages on the forums as being weak when, in fact, their strength comes from utility rather than pure dps.  My warlock/archon/chloro is a joy to play. 

This is why i love this game.  No game has had this amount of class building fun and variety since shadowbane.  If it's anything like that game and people are still finding new powerful builds and combinations years later it will keep me around forever.

I am the .00000001428%
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: February 28, 2011, 07:48:45 AM

I think WAR players were looking to find (even expecting) the next Bright Wizard somewhere in RIFT but were disappointed that it doesn't seem to exist. Possibly Pyromancer is more devastating at higher levels but it is just not the nuking machine it was in WAR.

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #75 on: February 28, 2011, 08:08:33 AM

I personally think having such a multitude of skills and abilities to choose from gives such a range for character creationm that it will alleviate the NERF mentality.  I'm sure people will still cry and call for it, but no matter what uber build someone comes up with, there should be ways to mitigate and counter it within the class system itself if people are smart enough.  The ability to rework your souls within your calling should help this greatly.  No more having to reroll to counter.  It's a lot like MtG and building your deck.

I eagerly await the emergence of the Marksman killer builds.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #76 on: February 28, 2011, 08:20:28 AM

I personally think having such a multitude of skills and abilities to choose from gives such a range for character creationm that it will alleviate the NERF mentality. 
Hah.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: February 28, 2011, 08:37:00 AM

The mix and match approach to skills pretty much means proxy nerfs for everyone, beyond just straight ability nerfs (rift surge, I'm looking at you)

I fully expect to see a lot of talents move up in the tree so they're not easily taken by everyone.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #78 on: February 28, 2011, 08:38:31 AM

Anyone got good ideas on souls that work well with champion.  Beastmaster is useful for the +hit, free horribad pet, and the buff, but it's a bit underwhelming.  Most other souls don't really work that well for a primary 2 handed build. Paragon seems to make its living off the volume of hits that dual wielding would produce.

Will my crit numbers get to the point where riftblade will be worth taking for the weapon buff?

-Rasix
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: February 28, 2011, 08:41:07 AM

Anyone got good ideas on souls that work well with champion.  Beastmaster is useful for the +hit, free horribad pet, and the buff, but it's a bit underwhelming.  Most other souls don't really work that well for a primary 2 handed build. Paragon seems to make its living off the volume of hits that dual wielding would produce.

Will my crit numbers get to the point where riftblade will be worth taking for the weapon buff?

Champs are stellar with a BM secondary in the mid 20s and up. Before then, you don't have the points to take 2h weapon spec, the healing debuff, the snare and anything worth your time in BM. RB can also fill in with some pretty brutal finishers.

Pre 20, I'm not impressed with champs. They ate a huge damage nerf across the board when 2h spec was fixed, but that sadly made their 1-20ish experience a bit bland.

edit: and Storm Blade is just lame all around. Can take it and abuse the champ free crit/followup to crit with it, but it'll only tic for like, 20 damage.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #80 on: February 28, 2011, 08:42:11 AM

Anyone got good ideas on souls that work well with champion.  Beastmaster is useful for the +hit, free horribad pet, and the buff, but it's a bit underwhelming.  Most other souls don't really work that well for a primary 2 handed build. Paragon seems to make its living off the volume of hits that dual wielding would produce.

I was wondering this as well. The warrior classes seem to be split into sword and board compliments and all the rest. Granted, I tend to the board type (tank) so I would be set if I would alt a warrior.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: February 28, 2011, 08:59:07 AM

Void knight will give you an extremely sexy 50% strenght buff when you attack casters, or anyone if you go higher in the tree.

I am the .00000001428%
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: February 28, 2011, 10:07:22 AM

I played a ranger (26)/bard (12)/sab (0) to 29.

At 30, I respecced to sab (28)/bard (12)/ranger (0).  I take mobs down a great deal faster now, but I'm not sure it's as survivable with a great many mobs, like ranger/bard was.  I didn't kill fast, but I rarely died, even when taking on 4-6 even cons.  However, I had my ass handed to me in my first world pvp 1on1s by sabs, every single time.  I barely scratched them in the time I went to 0 health.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: February 28, 2011, 10:11:37 AM

I played a ranger (26)/bard (12)/sab (0) to 29.

At 30, I respecced to sab (28)/bard (12)/ranger (0).  I take mobs down a great deal faster now, but I'm not sure it's as survivable with a great many mobs, like ranger/bard was.  I didn't kill fast, but I rarely died, even when taking on 4-6 even cons.  However, I had my ass handed to me in my first world pvp 1on1s by sabs, every single time.  I barely scratched them in the time I went to 0 health.

Sabs seem to have an odd breaking point spec wise where they become lethal. Part of the problem is there's no actual counter to what they do (you can't shed charges with anything, and you can't heal the damage since it hasn't happened yet), about the only thing that works is a shield based healer.

But before that breaking point, they seem to suck. I was fooling around with Sab, and could stack charges and blow the stack for .. like 30% of someone's health.

Personally, I'm running a Marks(6)/Bard(19)/Sab(0) and having a blast with it. Marks requires almost no point investment to be brutal, bards are bullshit all around, and as zero pointers go, Sab's is easily my favorite (an AE 70% snare? Yes please.)
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: February 28, 2011, 11:58:10 AM

I'm enjoying playing riftblade/reaver/paladin (17 right now).  It does good damage, even using a 1h+shield, and has nice survivability.  Haven't tried it out in pvp or dungeons yet but I'm hoping to try both this week. 
Gunzwei
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: February 28, 2011, 12:06:40 PM

Have a 41 Inq/Cab/Sent cleric and the thing is a beast for questing and grinding. Once you get bewilder you can solo cc'able elites since there is no DR apparently in PVE which is very helpful for doing some of the group quests in the 35-40 range (solo). Still want to try out a justicar build for tanking =D.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: February 28, 2011, 12:16:32 PM

This is why i love this game.  No game has had this amount of class building fun and variety since shadowbane.  If it's anything like that game and people are still finding new powerful builds and combinations years later it will keep me around forever.

You're loving it 'cause you're a 'lock.  Lock's are damned sexy in Rift.  I re-rolled out of it though, and now I regret it even though it just doesnt work with a control build unless yah, you're an archon/chloro.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: February 28, 2011, 01:29:31 PM

I'm toying around with adding a 10 point Nightblade to my rogue pvp build. For those 10 points you get 15% increase in damage to all combo-point generating abilities, and 15% damage increase to all Finisher damage. I added 7 points in as assassin for %5 increase in crit chance and 4% physical damage increase. Rest in Marksman to increase range and damage to the bread and butter MM skills. It's all theorycraft at the moment, but now reading about the burst/spike capability of Sabs combined with Bard stuff makes me want to try that as well. Curse you clever Soul system for giving me so many interesting options!

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #88 on: February 28, 2011, 02:19:39 PM

I'm enjoying playing riftblade/reaver/paladin (17 right now).  It does good damage, even using a 1h+shield, and has nice survivability.  Haven't tried it out in pvp or dungeons yet but I'm hoping to try both this week. 

I'm playing Riftblade/Champion/Warlord (for the -5% debuff). I like it, but I am having a hard time seeing how it will play out in the long run. From everything I read half the Riftblade abilities are not modified by stats or weapon damage. And if they are, the modification is very low. I could see that leading to Riftblades being incredible beasts in PVP in the early endgame due to being able to stack crit (Dex) and Endurance, but not scaling well, as nothing will increase our damage very much.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: February 28, 2011, 02:59:15 PM

I'm toying around with adding a 10 point Nightblade to my rogue pvp build. For those 10 points you get 15% increase in damage to all combo-point generating abilities, and 15% damage increase to all Finisher damage. I added 7 points in as assassin for %5 increase in crit chance and 4% physical damage increase. Rest in Marksman to increase range and damage to the bread and butter MM skills. It's all theorycraft at the moment, but now reading about the burst/spike capability of Sabs combined with Bard stuff makes me want to try that as well. Curse you clever Soul system for giving me so many interesting options!

12 points in nightblade is amazing, but if you are melee based.  The weapon buff upgrade and the out of stealth damage buff rock.

I am the .00000001428%
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: March 01, 2011, 11:16:53 AM

I figured I'd post this here in case anyone was playing a Rogue.

I wrote up a leveling spec guide for my favorite Rogue build.  You can start it at level 27 or so, but it doesn't shine until the mid 30's.

http://www.riftjunkies.com/forums/showthread.php?1374-LVL-FARM-BD-18-ASN-13-RS-Grind-Baby-Grind-Its-What-a-Blade-Dancer-Does-Best

Ranger still shines up until 27 or so though, then this build becomes on par with it, then moves past it.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: March 01, 2011, 11:33:16 AM

I was toying with having an offspec Bard/Riftstalker/Bladedancer just for taking out elites. Mostly because of all the defense I can pull out of RS/BD and exploit with the self healing from heavy Bard.

Right now though, Bard/MM solves all my problems in life. Heavy Bard solves anything.
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #92 on: March 01, 2011, 01:30:17 PM

12 points in nightblade is amazing, but if you are melee based.  The weapon buff upgrade and the out of stealth damage buff rock.

I really like my NB. I am thinking of picking up Sab for PvP - 15% increase to charge and detonate damage should be worth some tears. If you go 0 point for a third soul you can essentially have a melee Nightblade (non physical damage for warriors) with all the goodies and all the Sab charge talents at 50.

EDIT: Hmmm, I wonder if Heat Retention works with charges? Have to test that out...
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 01:35:37 PM by squirrel »

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #93 on: March 01, 2011, 03:20:25 PM

I finally hit for 1k dmg on a final blow crit today on a same level mob... I am sticking with Assassin.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: March 01, 2011, 06:04:45 PM

Something like 38 NB / 18 ASN / 10 BD is one of the highest (if not the highest) melee dps specs in the game.  Assuming you're in a group.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: March 01, 2011, 06:57:13 PM

Thanks for the melee build Draegan; I had been MM/Ranger but things started to suck since I was more MM than Ranger (tank pet stopped scaling at 30) and I was dying a lot.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: March 02, 2011, 12:20:47 AM

I'm up to lvl 17 on my Dom build and I'm starting to notice I definitely shine much more in long engagements.  I stayed at the top of the dmg. charts during the big rift invasions tonite and hence got some serious rewards.  The key has been mana wrench (mana-regen+dmg) and a nice synergy with low-lvl air spells getting +crit and dmg.  When I grab aggro, I memory wipe and continue.

I'm looking fwd. to the storm shackle/haunting pain combo.  Only root in the game that sticks regardless if dmg. is taken.  Endgame Haunting Pain can DOT 2000+ dmg in 10 secs if they're not moving.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: March 02, 2011, 06:05:34 AM

I stayed at the top of the dmg. charts during the big rift invasions tonite and hence got some serious rewards. 

Healers and dps are rewarded well during invasions.  What about tanks and support?  Is there a mechanic in place to measure their contribution? 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: March 02, 2011, 06:41:43 AM

I tried out 3 different specs on my cleric (warden healer, inquisitor ranged dps, justicar tank), my experience in the late 20s:
- Healer did very well as long as I pressed a button every GCD. Easily gold contribution if I actually did useful healing (invasions!), but could get gold even outside of that by just throwing HOTs at anyone who looked like they might take damage and spamming my instant cast damage spell.
- I really had to work to get gold rating on my DPS spec (DOT focused), but silver wasn't too bad. Key thing was killing stuff that nobody else was killing, otherwise I could lose valuable casting / buttonmashing time (which seems to be the #1 thing that defines contribution).
- Tank was also fairly easy to get gold rating with -- as long as stuff was beating on me. If there was another tank, I couldn't get higher than silver. When that happened, I actually switched to my healer spec between phases and got gold easily during the rest of the phases.
- If there was a public group, joining it was ALWAYS a good idea, if only to benefit from buffs and whatnot. No downsides, which is as it should be imo.

edit: As for support, bards seemed to do fine if their healing was useful (and since it was full AOE, it probably was). Warlords probably get their contribution points by tanking. Not sure how archons fare...
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 06:43:59 AM by Zetor »

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: March 02, 2011, 06:56:25 AM

Anyone have a good Rogue spec for taking on elites? I've seen a number of elite quest-starting mobs but can't handle them as a BD.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: March 02, 2011, 06:59:44 AM

I stayed at the top of the dmg. charts during the big rift invasions tonite and hence got some serious rewards. 

Healers and dps are rewarded well during invasions.  What about tanks and support?  Is there a mechanic in place to measure their contribution? 

I switched from riftblade/reaver, which got me top damage in almost all warfronts to reaver/paladin aoe tank for rift invasions and my rewards shot way up.

I am the .00000001428%
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: March 02, 2011, 07:41:03 AM

I'm looking fwd. to the storm shackle/haunting pain combo.  Only root in the game that sticks regardless if dmg. is taken. 

I don't think this is true. There is a high spec Pyromancer ability that makes Burning Bonds stick regardless of damage taken.

kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: March 02, 2011, 07:49:00 AM

Anyone have a good Rogue spec for taking on elites? I've seen a number of elite quest-starting mobs but can't handle them as a BD.

I think a beastmaster/minor bard can do it but take a while (pet does most of the work, you spam heal it)

I have a riftstalker/bard setup right now that is trying to exploit the higher incoming healing/mitigation with the healing and damage reduction motifs.

Is it just me, or does the armor anthem Suck? It bumps my mitigation by less than a percent.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: March 02, 2011, 08:20:47 AM

I'm looking fwd. to the storm shackle/haunting pain combo.  Only root in the game that sticks regardless if dmg. is taken.

I don't think this is true. There is a high spec Pyromancer ability that makes Burning Bonds stick regardless of damage taken.

Damn, I was lookin for it but didnt find it.  Too bad you have to spec in multiple abilities to make it happen though and it's high spec....  I cant reach it.
My other avenue is fully specced 'durable control' which gives me 5%+.5% per point spent in dom in non-poppable dmg. to mezzed targets.  So a fully specced Dom can lay 30% of his health in dmg. (including teammates) on a target b4 popping any mez.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS  Finally an ability that prevents early pops from jackass grps.

Healers and dps are rewarded well during invasions.  What about tanks and support?  Is there a mechanic in place to measure their contribution?  

I switched from riftblade/reaver, which got me top damage in almost all warfronts to reaver/paladin aoe tank for rift invasions and my rewards shot way up.

I noticed that when I laid dmg-shields on tanks that it possibly helped, but I'm not sure about passive stuff.  I didnt notice any jumps when I threw silences or mezzes, so tough to tell.  There may be a difference in reward alllocation for support-based stuff even though you dont do much dmg as you're implying, but this can be an illusion dependent on the fight since most support is only noticed on rift bosses or long waves.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 08:28:06 AM by Ghambit »

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: March 02, 2011, 08:20:58 AM

I think a beastmaster/minor bard can do it but take a while (pet does most of the work, you spam heal it)

I have a riftstalker/bard setup right now that is trying to exploit the higher incoming healing/mitigation with the healing and damage reduction motifs.

Is it just me, or does the armor anthem Suck? It bumps my mitigation by less than a percent.

You mean ranger/bard, right?

I'm 32 now, and thinking of going back to ranger/bard for leveling, because my pet just sucks.  Sab is fun but not nearly as survivable.  World PvP lately means that I get ganked by a group of enemies, since it seems that few people solo, so I might as well be ganked as a ranger and not killed by mobs anymore.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  RIFT  |  Topic: Soul opinions  
Jump to: