Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:43:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: X-men: The First Class 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: X-men: The First Class  (Read 19734 times)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: June 03, 2011, 04:26:59 AM

Not so much.  I thought Angel was the weakest character in it and was pretty devoid of interest.

I really did like what they did to Mystique though.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #36 on: June 03, 2011, 08:23:01 AM

Zoe Kravitz eye-banged me in the East Village last weekend.
That must have hurt.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #37 on: June 03, 2011, 08:49:44 AM

The part that hurt was Steve Jobs leaping out of the shadows to collect royalties.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #38 on: June 04, 2011, 04:35:08 PM

Nah. It's in my contract that I get to keep any eye-banging royalties. Steve only gets to jump me in line at the cafeteria.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #39 on: June 04, 2011, 08:20:00 PM

Whoa...banshee is....  swamp poop
And Angel is fucked up. Who cast this bitch into the set? Seriously?!

Everything else is great. They had a bit of miss with the castings at some part. But overall, some didn't get a fair fleshing up in their character.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: June 05, 2011, 12:16:57 AM

What was wrong with Banshee?  Other then the fact that I occasionally kept getting the mental image of one of the Weasley kids somehow ending up in an X-Men movie, I thought Banshee was ok.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #41 on: June 05, 2011, 01:23:24 AM

Saw this tonight and thought it was very well done.  I really enjoyed the setting, the story, acting...pretty much everything.

I would agree that Angle was probably one of the weakest characters (though she is hot as hell).  I thought Banshee was fine....

I eagerly await Ronald Reagans X-men!   awesome, for real

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #42 on: June 05, 2011, 03:23:27 PM

I thought this kicked serious ass. Fassbender was great. Unfortunately it didn't open particularly well so who knows what the future holds.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: June 05, 2011, 03:51:16 PM

Supremely entertaining and with a solid plot, but weakened by uninspired direction and as clumsy script. Scenes with the CIA and various militaries were especially goofy, and even a touch of deft character development could have made several bit players (and the world they lived in) feel a lot more real. Plenty of wow moments, though, and other than January Jones' Emma Frost everybody was well cast.

Worth seeing on the big screen.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: June 05, 2011, 07:06:56 PM

Just saw it. I loved every second. I especially appreciate the fact that the action sequences we're all UP CLOSE SHAKY CAM AND INTENSE!!! We could see what the hell they were doing. Agree w/Teleku, those points kinda stood out. However...

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: June 05, 2011, 11:12:46 PM

« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 11:14:50 PM by SurfD »

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #46 on: June 06, 2011, 02:06:14 AM

Opening of $56m this weekend. Nothing to sneeze at, but the smallest opening since the original opened with 54 eleven years ago, and even the Wolverine movie opened to 85. Thor opened to 65. All of these are making nice money, Thor is up to 400+ worldwide for example, but still...

I'll be keeping an eye on Green Lantern and Captain America. I have a sneaking suspicion that the great early 21st century superhero movie glut might be coasting a little at this point. Avengers next year will be the one to watch. With all the work Marvel is doing to lead into it, a Hulk-scale "turned a profit but meh" disappointment would be major.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #47 on: June 06, 2011, 02:20:27 AM

As far as Captain America goes, neither Joe Johnston nor Chris Evans have particularly stellar bodies of work.  If it flops, I don't think it will be any sort of statement on comic book movies as a whole aside from possibly souring peoples anticipation of the Avengers a bit.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: June 06, 2011, 03:34:43 AM

Saw XMFC yesterday and enjoyed it.  Good script that tied a lot of the lore into it.  Great acting by the leads, not so much some of the secondaries.  JJ has done some good acting in Mad Men, but she was weak here.  I really like the 60's vibe and Charles saying "Groovy!" was weird.  It was less a reboot than a prequel so I was thankful for that. 

But I liked Thor better and it's not even the best X-Men movie (X2).  The weak box office is a bad sign. 

If I had a major gripe it would be not enough X-Men fighting at the end.  Would have liked to see Shaw fight more and I have never heard of Riptide, or maybe I've forgotten. 

A really solid superhero movie.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #49 on: June 06, 2011, 03:50:05 AM

Opening of $56m this weekend. Nothing to sneeze at, but the smallest opening since the original opened with 54 eleven years ago, and even the Wolverine movie opened to 85. Thor opened to 65. All of these are making nice money, Thor is up to 400+ worldwide for example, but still...

I'd say it's because the X-men brand is so hurt from the last movie and a half* that they had a lot of negative backlog to overcome.  Shit's expensive, there's a recession and gas is over the top.  Personally, I'd rather spend cash on movies that don't come from a shitty franchise and see this on DVD.

* The ending of 2 was so lame it still begets "wtf" conversations.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #50 on: June 06, 2011, 06:14:47 AM

and I have never heard of Riptide, or maybe I've forgotten. 

One of the Marauders (around 1986), the story that actually got me in to collecting comics.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: June 06, 2011, 10:47:55 AM

Saw XMFC yesterday and enjoyed it.  Good script that tied a lot of the lore into it.  Great acting by the leads, not so much some of the secondaries.  JJ has done some good acting in Mad Men, but she was weak here.  I really like the 60's vibe and Charles saying "Groovy!" was weird.  It was less a reboot than a prequel so I was thankful for that. 

But I liked Thor better and it's not even the best X-Men movie (X2).  The weak box office is a bad sign. 

If I had a major gripe it would be not enough X-Men fighting at the end.  Would have liked to see Shaw fight more and I have never heard of Riptide, or maybe I've forgotten. 

A really solid superhero movie.

(responding to bolded sentence) - I did as well.  It's weird, I felt like XMFC was probably a better-crafted movie, but I enjoyed Thor more.  I go to these movies to see the title-character(s) kick ass, I guess I just didn't feel like that happened here (except, maybe, for Magneto).  As much as folks didn't like the tacked-on romance in Thor, I think it very definitely supplied the "lol, Thor's kickin ASS" moments.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: June 07, 2011, 10:34:16 PM

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #53 on: June 08, 2011, 06:32:43 AM

I'd say it's because the X-men brand is so hurt from the last movie and a half* that they had a lot of negative backlog to overcome. 

I'd suspect that it being set as a prequel and with unrecognisable characters probably didn't help either.

Muffled
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: June 08, 2011, 12:45:49 PM

It also doesn't contain Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, or
I felt it blew away both the previous X-men movies and Thor, personally.

Edit: better late than never?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 11:45:19 AM by Muffled »
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: June 08, 2011, 03:18:41 PM

I would have spoilered that what you did there.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: June 08, 2011, 04:47:47 PM

I felt it blew away both the previous X-men movies and Thor, personally.
I see what you did there.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: June 09, 2011, 09:35:31 AM

On the weak opening: I had not heard of it before this thread (or anywhere outside of this thread), nor have I seen a single bit of advertising for it.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #58 on: June 09, 2011, 10:09:16 AM

On the weak opening: I had not heard of it before this thread (or anywhere outside of this thread), nor have I seen a single bit of advertising for it.

You're watching the wrong shows.  I saw tons of ads leading-up to release.  Most were on Fox, of course, but they were also some during CBS's Monday lineup and during (of course) Big Bang Theory.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: June 09, 2011, 11:25:59 AM

That's true, I haven't had cable tv for two months now :)
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: June 13, 2011, 08:24:42 PM

I never liked Ian Mckellen as Magneto at all but I really liked Michael Fassbender.

Wife and I saw this opening weekend and enjoyed it.  It's really sad to think that Xmen:Last Stand did almost twice the opening weekend gross if the numbers I Googled were right.  First Class was much, much better movie then X3.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: June 15, 2011, 04:05:36 PM

Saw this tonight, I thought it was really good. At least as good as the first X-Men, if not better.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: June 16, 2011, 05:21:17 PM

Havent seen this yet. Work has been nuts. Up till 3am last night and back up at 7am this morning.
I am going to try to catch it this weekend before seeing Green Lantern.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #63 on: June 24, 2011, 08:06:27 PM

I'll be keeping an eye on Green Lantern and Captain America. I have a sneaking suspicion that the great early 21st century superhero movie glut might be coasting a little at this point. Avengers next year will be the one to watch. With all the work Marvel is doing to lead into it, a Hulk-scale "turned a profit but meh" disappointment would be major.

Mojo editorial out this week saying the same thing basically:
http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3188&p=.htm

These movies aren't flopping, but they aren't doing the ridiculous numbers that make such large gambles worthwhile.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: June 24, 2011, 08:23:33 PM

What do we have next summer? Dark Knight Rises, Avengers, Spider-Man reboot? I always tell myself I'm going to go and watch some of these but I don't think I've been to the movies in about a year.

I know I'll see Dark Knight Rises in the theater but that's probably it.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: June 25, 2011, 01:27:41 PM

I saw it today. Liked it.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: June 25, 2011, 03:17:34 PM

Emma Frost fell totally flat in this one, in my opinion.  She's supposed to be imposing and regal, even as she's walking around in an absurd almost-naked getup.  In First Class she was a boring errand girl.  Not even a tiny smidgen of gravity to her.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: June 25, 2011, 11:31:02 PM

Emma Frost fell totally flat in this one, in my opinion.  She's supposed to be imposing and regal, even as she's walking around in an absurd almost-naked getup.  In First Class she was a boring errand girl.  Not even a tiny smidgen of gravity to her.
Have you seen some of the latest incarnations of Emma Frost?  Was reading a stand alone book in Chapters the other day, and they had Emma in her typical bondage queen getup, but half the time she needed to make a psychic connection to someone she ran around kissing or licking them.

Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: June 26, 2011, 08:19:53 PM

Saw it. Loved it.
Almost on par with the Ironman movie but not quite that good.
Definitely better than nearly every X-men movie that came before it.
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: June 26, 2011, 08:37:22 PM

Saw it. It was OK. Some of the casting was solid, other parts not so well.

The story, meh, though my expectations were lower.

Entertaining, worth the $8.

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: X-men: The First Class  
Jump to: