Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:31:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: My account got Owned. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My account got Owned.  (Read 20650 times)
rattran

Unreasonable

on: January 24, 2011, 03:24:25 PM

Got an email from turbine,
Greetings,

Your account has been identified as potentially being accessed by a third-party. Turbine has temporarily suspended your account to prevent any further access to your account. Your account was accessing our game from a location associated with account compromise activity. When Turbine discovered this, your account was suspended to prevent unauthorized activity. Please note that in no way has Turbine been compromised; in most cases, these compromises originate from players using the same username and password combination on a third-party website or another game that was compromised.

Not a password I use elsewhere, and I'm virus-free, so who knows. Anyone see any of my toons in-game doing anything odd recently? Account is banned until 2038 now, apparently. We'll see if I can get them to lift the ban.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 04:44:12 PM

Damn.  Happening a LOT lately.   swamp poop

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 04:50:10 PM

Looks like from my.lotro most of my toons logged in yesterday :( was not me.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 06:20:27 PM

Looks like from my.lotro most of my toons logged in yesterday :( was not me.

I will do what I can to help ya recover... thats a bitch.  :/

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 08:01:42 PM

No assistance from Turbine?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 11:04:51 PM

I'm still waiting for my account to get unbanned.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 11:29:03 AM

Just to update, i found my battle.net account was also temp-banned due to too many login attempts. I'm confuzled
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 12:14:30 PM

Have you been taking Ambien?
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 12:38:24 PM

Nope, and neither machine has any infections, rootkits or nothing! I hadn't even gotten around to trying to unload my lotro account onto some poor shmoe.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 05:33:51 PM

All my gold, LI scrolls, and mithril flakes are gone :(
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 10:35:03 PM

That is balls.  Do they have any mechanisms in place to recover the stuff from a hacked account?
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #11 on: January 27, 2011, 12:34:19 AM

The instructions said to open an in-game ticket on all affected toons, but warned me that items and gold may not be replaced. We'll see if they can track stuff back, they were the ones who informed me I'd been hacked, so you'd think they'd have some record. Kinda puts the last nail in the coffin of wanting to play.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #12 on: January 27, 2011, 11:23:58 AM

Wow, I would have expected them to be able to restore the same way other games do, that sucks.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #13 on: January 27, 2011, 11:47:08 AM

I was also impressed by
If a character was accessed, please open a new ticket on each affected character by going to the Main Menu in-game, then help, then new ticket. Your issue will then be investigated by our In-Game Support team. For the fastest response, please select "Cheating" and "Account Compromise" as the types.

If you cannot open a new ticket, please contact our In-Game Support team. Submit a request with the character names that were affected, the world they are on, and list the issue as a Hacked / Stolen Account Report. Your issue will then be investigated by our In-Game Support team. Please note that incorrect / misfiled requests may take significantly longer to address.

*Please note that if your current subscription plan is Free-to-Play, access to the In-Game Support team is limited. We recommend that you inquire with other players in the general chat channels and/or submit a Bug Report to our Quality Assurance department for review. Remember that bug reports do not receive a response unless additional information is required, and this is not an avenue for you to contact us for immediate assistance.

Free-to-Play players apparently don't even count as 3/5ths of a player.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #14 on: January 27, 2011, 08:59:53 PM

From the results of this and other account hijackings, I'm not sure the paying customers get all five fifths.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: January 28, 2011, 08:28:34 AM

From the results of this and other account hijackings, I'm not sure the paying customers get all five fifths.

I had an account issue when I was paying my monthly sub and it took several days to even get a response from CS.  Their service, like many other MMOs, is terrible.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: January 28, 2011, 08:57:43 PM

Perhaps an overlooked element in the dominance of That Other MMO.  This has me thinking I should change my LOTRO password to something more robust.

Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: January 29, 2011, 04:10:27 PM

Looks like I just got hacked too, and even with a lifetime account it seems I have to wait until Monday to even contact Customer Service.  Unless there's actually a chance they respond to emails?

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #18 on: January 29, 2011, 06:44:56 PM

I'm lifetime, took about 3 days for the emails to be responded to. Still haven't gotten a reply to the loss of gold.
Redgiant
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: January 30, 2011, 02:47:27 PM

I'm sure it is no coincidence that their entire site is down. As in Turbine (LOTRO, DDO, Asherons).

There may be bigger issues like a major hack, anyone know more about what is really causing the site downtime?

A FUCKING COMPANY IS AT STEAK
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #20 on: February 15, 2011, 10:47:06 PM

Wow. That's quite rough. Extraordinarily shitty customer service as well. Hope it works out. Any updates?

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #21 on: February 15, 2011, 11:40:27 PM

and I'm virus-free

Just to update, i found my battle.net account was also temp-banned due to too many login attempts. I'm confuzled

You've been attacked on two different companies' games at once. Do you use the same account name on both? If yes, then the person with your lotro details is just trying to see if you have a similar password there. If no, and the accounts have different names, then I think you've got a security breach at your end.

Things to look at: Which antivirus software is making you think you're "virus-free"? You probably want to find a trojan, not a virus. Who else has access to your computers? Do you play from different locations (i.e. work/home)? Do you have your passwords saved/written anywhere? Do you run a firewall? The answer could be somewhere in these questions.

There's also some new, unidentified virus/trojan that's making people's computers search Google for the Polish phrase "na pohybel janas". Search for it manually and you'll see the chatter. I'm wondering if that's related to something previously unseen.
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: February 16, 2011, 02:26:29 PM

You might have also been using the same login information on game websites/forums (look at the Gawker mess). Best to use different usernames for different websites, and different passwords for every website you visit.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: May 04, 2011, 04:16:22 PM

Perhaps an overlooked element in the dominance of That Other MMO.  This has me thinking I should change my LOTRO password to something more robust.
Ohhhhh, I see.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: My account got Owned.  
Jump to: