Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:57:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: N00b (again) help- so much has changed! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: N00b (again) help- so much has changed!  (Read 107055 times)
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #105 on: September 23, 2012, 03:38:38 AM

Holy crap the world looks so different now, even the small part I vaguely remember from the original game. Also my characters are starting out as flagged for PvP for some reason and of course there are Horde camping in the cities waiting to gank players like me Ohhhhh, I see. (this is on a PvE server too)

Register
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: September 23, 2012, 07:59:48 PM

Holy crap the world looks so different now, even the small part I vaguely remember from the original game. Also my characters are starting out as flagged for PvP for some reason and of course there are Horde camping in the cities waiting to gank players like me Ohhhhh, I see. (this is on a PvE server too)

Chars flagged for various reasons e.g. playing in battlegrounds, healing other flagged characters etc no longer unflag in 5 min after logging out. You have to wait 5 mins to unflag then log out.

One trick I use to insta unflag, is to take a flight or enter an instance. The moment you fly off you get unflagged (cant fly if in combat though). Entering a pve instance will unflag you too. (hint : ragefire chasm in Org, or Stockade in Stormwind.)
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #107 on: September 23, 2012, 11:29:07 PM

I think it was cause of the area I left my characters in 7 years ago awesome, for real

I started in what used to be Southshore (fortunately not close enough to any hostile NPCs) and apparently that flagged me for PvP. One of my characters I ran to the Refugee flight point to the east and died twice, once from a PvP blast from some random person and another time from 2 hostile NPC guards I didn't see guarding an archway along the road. On another character I hearthstoned immediately to Stormwind but that didn't clear the flag and some random Horde Shammy camping near the flight master blasted me as I was trying to catch a flight to Stormwind.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #108 on: September 27, 2012, 05:33:42 PM

What does the "(*)" after some guild names mean?
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #109 on: September 27, 2012, 05:35:15 PM

Probably telling you they're from a server other than your own.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #110 on: September 27, 2012, 06:10:33 PM

OIC, I didn't realize the cross-realm stuff extended to the regular non-dungeon areas like cities.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #111 on: October 09, 2012, 09:27:19 PM

Shouldn't be in cities (though maybe it is in low-pop cities like Darnassus and Exodar?) but it's certainly the case out int he countryside, up to and including Cataclysm zones - though due to the over-phased nature of that expansion, you'll rarely see anyone anyway.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Jimbo
Terracotta Army

still drives a stick shift

Reply #112 on: December 13, 2012, 01:25:26 AM

Anyone have a good link to a site that talks about the basic of tanking with the different types of classes?

I've got a paladin I was leveling and decided to try tanking.  The shield throw is pretty cool, but I seem to be taking forever to kill things at times.  Protection spec BE paladin, I'm thinking I'll get him some heirlooms eventually so it won't be so painful.  The dungeon's I've been in so far on LFD have been great, no wipes and I kept everything on me it looked like, but I'm always wanting to figure out other ways to make it better.

The other question is kinda the same, how about healing for druids?  I think I can figure most of them out, but it seem's there are lots of assholes that bitch no matter how good you keep them healed.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #113 on: December 13, 2012, 04:10:31 AM

Anyone have a good link to a site that talks about the basic of tanking with the different types of classes?

I've got a paladin I was leveling and decided to try tanking.  The shield throw is pretty cool, but I seem to be taking forever to kill things at times.  Protection spec BE paladin, I'm thinking I'll get him some heirlooms eventually so it won't be so painful.  The dungeon's I've been in so far on LFD have been great, no wipes and I kept everything on me it looked like, but I'm always wanting to figure out other ways to make it better.

The other question is kinda the same, how about healing for druids?  I think I can figure most of them out, but it seem's there are lots of assholes that bitch no matter how good you keep them healed.

If you're not killing 4+ mobs at a time as a prot pally, it's going to take forever.  As one mob dies, grab another. If mob density isn't enough for you to do this or you can't survive doing it, switch to ret or do a dungeon instead. 

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: December 13, 2012, 06:26:18 AM

I think I can figure most of them out, but it seem's there are lots of assholes that bitch no matter how good you keep them healed.

Alas, this is human nature.  A lot of people complain at tanks/healers/dps even if no-one's died, lost aggro or the time to kill ain't bad.

My advice is to ignore these fuckers.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: December 13, 2012, 02:21:55 PM

Or try to get them killed 'accidentally'

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #116 on: December 13, 2012, 03:45:20 PM

"Oh, shit, what hit you?! Your bar was full and then *BAM* empty!"

wink Raspberry

Not that I've ever done that..

cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: December 14, 2012, 01:37:44 PM

"Oh, shit, what hit you?! Your bar was full and then *BAM* empty!"

wink Raspberry

Not that I've ever done that..

My favorite is to let them die right before the mob dies.  I'll use spirit shell and GH/shield people to ensure victory and then let the twatwhistle die.  The best feeling.

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: June 08, 2013, 08:08:09 AM

I logged in yesterday for the first time in a couple of years, and can't play yet because my bags are all full and my bank is all full, and of course I have to respec since everything has changed. I managed to clear some space but still have to set up my action bars in some sort of order that makes sense. After an hour or so I did manage to get to a point where I can play with Battle Pets.

It seems a little jerky and not smooth at all. I wonder why? I don't recall WoW being this way. I've been playing Diablo 3 without any problems at all. Hmmm.

This is a different computer than I used to use, chiefly different is a cheaper and different manufacturer video card. I wonder if that's it.

I visited a Battleground that seemed unfamiliar. I was trying to set up my action bars in it but some dumb rogue was having fun sapping me over and over again. I couldn't even remember how to sic my pet on him.

Suffering from oldtimers WoW syndrome (can't remember how to do anything!).
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: June 08, 2013, 08:36:16 AM

All the graphics stuff defaulted to ridiculously high levels when I reinstalled the last time.   Sure, it's an old game, but auto-setting everything to ULTRA was asking a little much of my laptop.  They've added a lot of stuff, shadows in particular, that can be a pretty big speed hit, so take a look at the graphics settings and see what's up.  After I turned down the shadows and put antialiasing at like x4, then the framerate was much better.

The other possibility is it's still downloading stuff, but if the bar is all green on the loading launcher thing, that's not the case.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #120 on: June 08, 2013, 08:40:05 AM

If it's been a few years you didn't have the particles and shadows that are in the engine now.  Turn those down to something reasonable if you don't have a vid card that at 'good' specs for about 1-2 years ago.  Textures and everything else should be able to remain up at the upper end.

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: June 08, 2013, 09:34:06 AM

The other possibility is it's still downloading stuff, but if the bar is all green on the loading launcher thing, that's not the case.

Bingo!

I thought it had finished but nope, it's at 34%.

I think it's cool that it's playable (sorta) while it's downloading.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: June 08, 2013, 12:27:05 PM

Also, I have no bow or gun. I have a polearm.

What happened to my weapon? I bought one for a few hundred off the AH, but my daughter just logged into the kids' account, and her hunter is also missing a shooting weapon.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: June 08, 2013, 01:16:40 PM

check your bags.

They changed the weapon system so that Bows and Wands now clasify as Main Hand weapons.  They no longer fit in the Offhand / Ranged weapon slot, so were probably dumped into your bags instead.  Hunters nolonger need mele weapons (all attacks can be made exclusively with a Ranged Main Hand weapon equipped.  Mele weapons for hunters are purely cosmetic now.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: June 08, 2013, 03:47:04 PM

Not in my bags either (or my daughter's). Odd that I should get to keep my polearm and not my bow/gun.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #125 on: June 08, 2013, 03:51:29 PM

If your bags were full it was mailed to you, and lost since you haven't logged in in forever.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #126 on: June 08, 2013, 04:32:00 PM

My sister (le sigh) suddenly started playing this a few weeks ago so I made a new account to help her.  I can't watch her play in person because the way she moves her character makes me sea sick.  :(  Anyway, we're on some rp server what starts with a W.  (or maybe an M)  I forget.  I only ever played off and on, just one character maxed but haven't even thought of playing since well before Cataclysm.  I updated so I could possibly find new and different quests and I've been marginally successful.  This game should go free or it'll hemorrhage subscriptions, I think.  Everyone else is doing it.  I got a free month with the update.  I won't sub.    I'm a werefurry right now and also have a Horde panda.  I've never played mamminals in a game before.  I don't think I like it.  I feel dirty and matted and I keep smelling wet dog.

Heart the battle pets though!!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: June 08, 2013, 04:36:31 PM

Please tell me you didn't pick Moonguard...

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: June 08, 2013, 04:42:46 PM

Haha!

I'm just so irritated playing WoW again. It is exactly the same irritations (with the community) only worse maybe.

I miss the old Barrens chat. As bad as that was, it is not nearly as bad as what it's like now.

I joined a guild because I was tired of being spammed every 5 seconds to join a guild.

It seems like the average age for playing has dropped to 13.

The combat seems slow and clunky. Everything about it seems slow and clunky. I think I'll go back and play Diablo 3 instead.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #129 on: June 08, 2013, 04:52:45 PM

No, I looked and it's Wyrmrest Accord.  Whatever that means.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #130 on: June 08, 2013, 09:41:23 PM

If your bags were full it was mailed to you, and lost since you haven't logged in in forever.

Administrative mail doesn't time out before it has been read, I thought?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: June 09, 2013, 07:30:36 AM

It wasn't in my mailbox or my bags or my bank. Just gone. So was my daughter's hunter's bow/gun.

But thank god I got all those worthless keys back to fill my bags up.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #132 on: June 09, 2013, 11:25:00 AM

I know that's the case for a few months, but I've never tried it for years.  Though this was a MOP change, so it should be in her mail.  Did you try sending a ticket, Xanthippe?

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: June 09, 2013, 01:20:17 PM

I sent in a ticket for my daughter's bow. Mine, I just bought some green bow for 300g (honestly, I can't remember what I even had). Haven't logged back in to her account to check, but when I do I'll let you know what happened.

Sure seems like a bizarre way to handle hunter weapons, though. Just delete the useful one!

I did get other administrative emails. Bow/gun wasn't one of them.
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: June 10, 2013, 12:15:24 AM

I take it the same thing happened to wands for casters?

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: June 10, 2013, 04:11:12 AM

Correct. The Ranged Weapon slot was eliminated for everyone, not just Hunters. If you wield a wand, it goes in the main hand slot.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #136 on: June 10, 2013, 07:37:19 AM

I've decided I can't play a Worgen.  The horrible posture and the running position makes me very nervous.  Maybe if it turned into something more wolfy when it runs, instead of wearing all it's clothing, it would be less disturbing.  Good-bye Worgen.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #137 on: June 10, 2013, 07:40:47 AM

I've decided I can't play a Worgen.  The horrible posture and the running position makes me very nervous.  Maybe if it turned into something more wolfy when it runs, instead of wearing all it's clothing, it would be less disturbing.  Good-bye Worgen.

Their idle sound doesn't help. Holy shit, that's annoying.

SNORT
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 07:43:49 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: June 10, 2013, 10:42:19 AM

Yeah, I've levelled two worgen up to the end of their newbie zone and then deleted them shortly afterwards. That *sniff* *sniff* *SNORT* is awful (plus the female ones look like a cross between 70s-era Disney characters and EQ2 characters).

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: June 10, 2013, 12:37:12 PM

Wow, they never removed that?  Pretty much EVERYONE hates that animation.  I know there was a mod you could get that would at least remove the sound effects of that animation back when I used to play.

Over and out.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: N00b (again) help- so much has changed!  
Jump to: