Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:02:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2011 College Football 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 36 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2011 College Football  (Read 212318 times)
ghost
The Dentist

on: January 14, 2011, 05:10:39 PM

Is it too early for this?   awesome, for real

Here is ESPN's early top 25 for next year

I tend to think Oregon isn't going to be nearly as good next year and that Oklahoma will find a way to lose a few games.  And at the end of the year I think Texas and Florida will struggle to be in the top 25.  

Edit:  Here is my preseason top 10 (meaning this is what I think the final poll will look like next season).

1.  LSU
2.  Oklahoma
3.  Alabama
4.  Stanford
5.  Florida State
6.  Arkansas
7.  Wisconsin
8.  Ohio State
9.  Boise State
10.  Notre Dame
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 08:10:15 AM by ghost »
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 08:01:50 AM

The world has been burnt so many times in recent years in ranking ND ("they won 3 games in a row! They're back, time to rocket to the top 15!") that I'm skeptical.  Let's see them beat someone good next year first. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 08:11:04 AM

I don't buy Boise or ND. I certainly don't buy Arkansas with no Mallet. Wisconsin is also a giant question mark next year. I'd rank them like this:

1 - OU
2 - Alabama
3 - LSU
4 - Stanford
5 - TCU
6 - Ohio State
7 - Florida State
8 - Michigan State
9 - Mississippi State
10 - Auburn

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 08:16:54 AM

I certainly don't buy Arkansas with no Mallet.

That kid that backed up Mallett showed some signs of life and Petrino has a reputation with QBs. 
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 12:55:42 PM

This is a nice read on a QB that got caught up in a bad fight at a bar and has tried to claw his way out of it.  It makes you worry about being at the wrong place at the wrong time, and I've gotten to where I don't frequent a lot of establishments just because of crap like this.

Link
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 09:18:51 PM

What in the holy fuck is Kirk Ferentz doing?  13 players hospitalized with rhabdomyolysis?  WOW. 
 ACK!

Dude should be fired. 
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 10:11:46 PM

Wow that is disturbing.

Wikipedia says:

Recognized physical causes for rhabdomyolysis:[1]

* Traumatic compression of muscles: crush syndrome (e.g., in earthquakes), car accident, confinement in a fixed position (e.g. after a stroke, due to drunkenness or in prolonged surgery), physical torture or abuse
    * Obstruction of blood supply to muscles: arterial thrombosis (blood clots forming locally) or embolism (clots or other debris from elsewhere in the body), clamping of an artery during surgery, generally reduced blood supply in shock or sepsis (due to any cause)
    * Excessive muscle strain or activity: extreme physical exercise (particularly when poorly hydrated), delirium tremens (alcohol withdrawal), tetanus, prolonged seizures or status epilepticus
    * Electrical: lightning, high-voltage electric shock, including electroshock weapon injuries[5]

Non-physical causes

Non-physical causes reported to cause rhabdomyolysis include:[1]

* Disorders of muscle energy supply (usually hereditary enzyme problems): carnitine deficiency, CPT type I or type II deficiency, McArdle's disease, various defects in the mitochondrial respiratory chain, phosphofructokinase deficiency, VLCAD deficiency[6]
    * Poisons such as heavy metals and venom from insects or snakes
    * Foodborne toxins (e.g., coniine from quail that have consumed hemlock (coturnism),[7] Tricholoma equestre mushrooms in France and Poland,[8] and an unidentified toxin in fish (Haff disease)[9]))
    * Drugs of abuse,[10] including: ethanol,[11] methamphetamines,[12] cocaine,[13] heroin,[14] phencyclidine (PCP),[15] ketamine,[16] and MDMA (ecstasy)[17][18]
    * Medications:
          o Statins, especially when prescribed in combination with fibrates. Cerivastatin (Baycol) was withdrawn in 2001 after numerous reports of rhabdomyolysis. Other statins have a small risk of 0.44 cases per 10,000 patients annually, which increases to 5.98 if a fibrate is added.[19] However, other studies detected no increased risk from statins.[20]
          o Anti-psychotic medications may cause neuroleptic malignant syndrome, which can cause severe muscle rigidity with rhabdomyolysis and hyperpyrexia.
          o Neuromuscular blocking agents used in anesthesia may cause malignant hyperthermia, also associated with rhabdomyolysis.
          o Medications that interfere with potassium levels (e.g., diuretics)
    * Infections: Coxsackie virus, Plasmodium falciparum (malaria), herpes viruses, Legionella pneumophila, Salmonella and Francisella tularensis (tularemia)
    * Electrolyte and metabolic disturbances: increased plasma osmolality, hyper- and hyponatremia (elevated or reduced blood sodium levels), hypokalemia (low potassium levels), hypocalcemia (low calcium levels), hypophosphatemia (low phosphate levels), ketoacidosis (e.g., in diabetes) or hypothyroidism (abnormally low thyroid function)
    * Autoimmune muscle damage: polymyositis, dermatomyositis

Wonder which we are talking about here. Apparently tests for illegal drugs were done and came back negative.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 10:13:56 PM

Rhabdomyolysis is not a joking matter.  This is a huge fucking deal. 
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 10:15:12 PM

Seems likely the strength coaches at least are going to be gone.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 10:27:39 PM

I would be very surprised if Ferentz wasn't gone at the end of this. 
Muffled
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: January 29, 2011, 09:16:14 PM

I would hope that this leads to a lot of job openings at Iowa, personally.  I would go completely apeshit if I was connected to the program in any way, I.E. had family or friends attending, was an alum, something similar.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #11 on: January 30, 2011, 07:57:42 AM

While it's probably something as "mundane" as the overexertion/ physical strain while dehydrated cause, I saw the electroshock one and wondered if they're tazering the kids.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 12:07:25 PM

I'm not sure if this goes in 2011 or NFL, but Mitch Mustain is obviously a complete idiot.  I think this explains a lot of his situation at USC.  The guy had a ton of talent but apparently couldn't get his head out of the oxycontin. 
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: February 03, 2011, 07:56:12 PM

So how did everyone's respective school score in recruiting?
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #14 on: February 03, 2011, 08:01:17 PM

Decent class for the Utes as we got a couple of good RBs, a great Juco SS and some good athletes we should be able to mold.  I think our next class with the full impact of being in the PAC-12 will be even better. We swiped a recruit from Arizona State so now they are on the warpath with us and talking shit about our coaches' recruiting tactics.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #15 on: February 03, 2011, 08:05:24 PM

Georgia basically knocked it out of the park. We have what we need, but I still don't believe in our coaching staff's ability to do a damn thing with the raw talent.

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: February 03, 2011, 08:28:01 PM

I'm thrilled about Bama's results.  If we get Clowney, it will be the icing on the cake.  Don't think we will, but it's hard to say at this point.

e:  Two things stuck out today...Some school in the SEC complaining about the Crimson Cabaret dancer's outfit (her actual uniform she performs in, basically a cheerleaders skirt) while she was standing next to the fax machine during the webcast and the Ole Miss player's mom forging her son's name on the LOI.

Said picture:  
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 08:36:20 PM by SnakeCharmer »
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #17 on: February 04, 2011, 06:01:50 AM

I have dual schools, since I have dual alma maters

Texas-  Verdict:  Kick Ass.  We managed to pull in that 5 star Ricky Williams type running back that we just haven't had in recent years.  Other than that, nice solid recruiting.  I was a bit disappointed that we didn't get a decent QB recruit, because I'm not sold on baby Colt or Garrett Gilbert at all.

Kentucky-  Verdict:  Somewhat kick ass for anywhere else, but suck ass in the SEC.  We got a highly rated defensive back and the "player of the year" in Illinois.  Overall many more three star recruits than we typically see.  We'll still get steamrolled by every team in the SEC but Vandy and maybe Ole Miss.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 06:03:33 AM by ghost »
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #18 on: February 04, 2011, 07:50:11 AM

Hate high school signing day. Potential and yet proven at all on the college stage. Go to school, prove yourself on the field, stay the fuck outta trouble - until then, fuck off and get back in line.

Like draft day for colleges - only without the public knowledge of any of these kids outside of what ESPN chooses to show. One big dog and pony show.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: February 04, 2011, 11:27:44 AM

« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 12:39:05 PM by Ingmar »

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #20 on: February 04, 2011, 03:11:43 PM

Wow.  I had no idea Tedford was still your coach.  It's good to see with all the firings that happen these days.  And that is a pretty strong class.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: February 04, 2011, 03:14:53 PM

Heart Tedford. He's almost erased the pain and suffering of the Tom Holmoe era.

...almost.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #22 on: February 04, 2011, 03:17:53 PM

I was fully expecting Cal to step up into the top 10 on a regular basis when he had those great years in the beginning, but it hasn't really panned out.  Any indication of him getting on the hot seat?
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: February 04, 2011, 03:20:34 PM

Not really, the younger Cal fans who don't know What It Used To Be Like complained some this year, but I think the administration knows how lucky we are to have him.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #24 on: February 04, 2011, 03:22:34 PM

That's good.  Well, with USC in trouble now is your chance.  My father-in-law is a huge USC fan.  I've just now gotten to where I can tolerate it.  I'm a good sport and wear my USC hat for the big games though. 
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: February 04, 2011, 03:28:42 PM

USC got a ridiculously sick class and we're 'between' QBs right now, so I don't know if we will capitalize, but I am hoping for a Rose Bowl in my lifetime at least.  tongue

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #26 on: February 07, 2011, 02:16:58 PM

Well this is pretty sad.  UGA VIII already died.   ACK!

And chin up, Ingmar, I think USC's class is only marginally better than yours. 
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 02:19:04 PM by ghost »
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #27 on: February 07, 2011, 02:28:43 PM

Yep, our dawg keeps dying. It's not a good omen for our seasons.  Sad Panda

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #28 on: February 08, 2011, 12:06:48 PM

You were right about the dog, Paelos. 

Easley suspended indefinitely.  I would expect this not to be a lengthy decision though.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #29 on: February 08, 2011, 04:23:59 PM

You were right about the dog, Paelos. 

Easley suspended indefinitely.  I would expect this not to be a lengthy decision though.

Rumor mill in Georgia says he's getting the pressure to transfer. Apparently the organization as a whole is tired of his off-the-field attitude bleeding into the game. The recruitment of the top RB in the nation and how we did it made a pretty strong statement that his future isn't starting with us.

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: February 14, 2011, 07:46:41 AM

Clowney to South Carolina.

Damnit.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #31 on: February 14, 2011, 07:55:23 AM

Clowney to South Carolina.

Damnit.

Who didn't see that coming.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #32 on: February 14, 2011, 09:24:13 AM

Probably a few people that live in Alabama. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #33 on: February 14, 2011, 10:41:00 AM

Probably a few people that live in Alabama. 

Clowney is a SC boy, and there was no chance he was picking Alabama going into the weekend. He was between Clemson and the Shamecocks, and tbh there's no reason why anybody in their right mind would want to play in the ACC right now.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #34 on: February 14, 2011, 11:01:59 AM

I never count Alabama out for any recruit. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 36 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2011 College Football  
Jump to: