Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 10:30:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2011 College Football 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 36 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2011 College Football  (Read 214034 times)
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #70 on: March 09, 2011, 04:12:20 PM

Yeah we could be banned for a decade but I'm still going to Big Game.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #71 on: March 09, 2011, 04:31:45 PM

Except fans will eventually get fed up and stop watching. It won't happen all in a big swoop, but the money-grabbing bowls, the violations, and the watering down of the sport will take a toll on their pocketbooks. Here are the TV ratings for last year's bowls. They were all pretty much down across the board in a year where the Super Bowl was setting all time records in the NFL.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: March 09, 2011, 04:36:12 PM

Maybe the fans that aren't alumni will get fed up, I expect attrition would still be pretty darn low amongst people with actual ties to the institutions.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #73 on: March 09, 2011, 04:46:10 PM

http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2011/3/9/2038929/jim-tressel-emails-suspension-drug-trafficking-ncaa-investigation

Take a step back from putting his head on a pike and look at the reality:  Tressel made a judgement call.  He was asked to keep this confidential because it was a federal drug investigation, and he did.  Was it the right call?  No, he should have contacted his personal attorney on the matter, but it doesn't warrant the shit being piled on the guy.  It's nothing even in the realm of bullshit Richrod or Pete Carroll pulled, not to mention the Cam Newton Heisman scam.  

Lots of people like to hate on OSU because the fact is that its a good program.  Just like how people hate the Steelers... it's because they're good.  Nothing's going to stop you guys from being set in your ways, though.  Have at it.

EDIT:  I'm a fan and not an alum, and I'm saying that support in this city is at 85% last night to keep him on.  It's the media that is drumming this bullshit up and making it into a much bigger deal than it needs to be. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #74 on: March 09, 2011, 04:50:43 PM

Maybe the fans that aren't alumni will get fed up, I expect attrition would still be pretty darn low amongst people with actual ties to the institutions.

Sure, but you can't float the kind of TV money around on the hardcore ties. I'm a 12 year season ticket holder in my institution, and I'm getting sick of our product and direction. I'm getting sick of the players and the hype. I'm getting sick of the way the institutions are all about today and not about protecting their donor base. I'm getting sick of the money being the major factor if you win or lose.

I could go into more detail, but I don't imagine our program is being run differently than others.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: March 09, 2011, 04:54:56 PM

I actually think the people who don't have alumni ties to institutions are the least likely to stop following the teams.

Alumni, because they have a vested interest in the institution, tend to want that institution to uphold some standard of conduct.

The masses, on the other hand, just want their chosen team to win and have some sports to watch.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #76 on: March 09, 2011, 04:57:04 PM

http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2011/3/9/2038929/jim-tressel-emails-suspension-drug-trafficking-ncaa-investigation

Take a step back from putting his head on a pike and look at the reality:  Tressel made a judgement call.  He was asked to keep this confidential because it was a federal drug investigation, and he did.  Was it the right call?  No, he should have contacted his personal attorney on the matter, but it doesn't warrant the shit being piled on the guy.  It's nothing even in the realm of bullshit Richrod or Pete Carroll pulled, not to mention the Cam Newton Heisman scam.  

Lots of people like to hate on OSU because the fact is that its a good program.  Just like how people hate the Steelers... it's because they're good.  Nothing's going to stop you guys from being set in your ways, though.  Have at it.

EDIT:  I'm a fan and not an alum, and I'm saying that support in this city is at 85% last night to keep him on.  It's the media that is drumming this bullshit up and making it into a much bigger deal than it needs to be.  

You're leaving out the underlined part of his contract that says he's required to report that kind of stuff immediately. Also, an email explaining two weeks after the fact that something was confidential is hilarious, nor would anybody with a brain believe that some random dude on the internet has confidentiality privilege.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 04:58:47 PM by Paelos »

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #77 on: March 09, 2011, 05:06:33 PM

That's fine, you're right.  Again, he made a judgement call and it was the wrong one.  He's paying the penalty for it, but it doesn't warrant being fired over.  Fuck, he didn't even do anything - the whole thing was initiated by players!!

I'm just saying that if you are saying that he deserves to be fired and that this is the worst thing to ever happen to college football, you need to look back at history.  There's a lot of shady shit in the NCAA teams and this doesn't even scratch the surface of it. 

At least all these media outlets are making a shitton on ads right now, drumming up their bullshit.   swamp poop
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #78 on: March 09, 2011, 05:10:28 PM

Oh I don't want him fired. I just want him to stop trying to sell books and go on speaking tours about doing things right. I also want Ohio State fans to stop looking down their noses at the other programs winning because THEY cheat.

I figure the Big 10 should give him a 2 game conference suspension and move on.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #79 on: March 10, 2011, 07:56:41 AM

That's fine, you're right.  Again, he made a judgement call and it was the wrong one.  He's paying the penalty for it, but it doesn't warrant being fired over.  Fuck, he didn't even do anything - the whole thing was initiated by players!!

Doesn't matter if he does anything or not. He's the coach of young college athletes, and he's supposed to not only set a good example, he's supposed to keep his players' noses clean. If he's got rampant fucked up shit going on, and let's face it, he's had stuff going back as far as at least Maurice Clarett, then he's accountable for the fucked up shit his players do, as well as the atmosphere around those players where boosters are giving money and gifts they shouldn't be giving to the players. If you are the coach and the AD, and your program is fucked up for years, you both should be fired.

But the NCAA won't do it, the school won't do it because they are winning and making money.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #80 on: March 10, 2011, 07:58:40 AM

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: March 10, 2011, 08:07:28 AM

Doesn't matter if he does anything or not. He's the coach of young college athletes, and he's supposed to not only set a good example, he's supposed to keep his players' noses clean. If he's got rampant fucked up shit going on, and let's face it, he's had stuff going back as far as at least Maurice Clarett, then he's accountable for the fucked up shit his players do, as well as the atmosphere around those players where boosters are giving money and gifts they shouldn't be giving to the players. If you are the coach and the AD, and your program is fucked up for years, you both should be fired.

But the NCAA won't do it, the school won't do it because they are winning and making money.

Exactly.  Coaches have absolutely no incentive to be a good example.  They get paid to win.  They get paid a lot to win.  The more that they win, the more people forgive them for doing what it takes to win.  It's a broken system.  That and the NCAA is a joke.  What you see in the press is nothing... it makes me shudder to think how much worse things have gotten knowing what I saw first hand 20+ years ago. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #82 on: March 10, 2011, 09:50:27 AM

What you see in the press is nothing... it makes me shudder to think how much worse things have gotten knowing what I saw first hand 20+ years ago. 

Do you really think things have changed that much?  Bad things have been going down in college sports since even the '70s.  All you have to do is read Bill Walton's quotes on his days at UCLA to know that shady business has been around forever.  The big changes are that the NCAA does a better job of policing and the influx of agent money, but for the most part kids seem to still be getting cars and cash just like in the good old days. 
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: March 10, 2011, 09:52:36 AM

Do you really think things have changed that much? 

I do.  More money always equates to bigger problems. 

The money available in the 70's and 80's (when I played) pales in comparison to what's available now.  People will do some crazy shit if the money is right. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #84 on: March 10, 2011, 10:01:54 AM

I'm just pissed I never got my free Rolex. 
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: March 10, 2011, 10:48:30 AM

You're a dentist.  Go buy one.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

-  Mark Twain
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #86 on: March 10, 2011, 11:14:24 AM

The stuff going on now would make the SMU stuff look like party favors.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #87 on: March 10, 2011, 12:15:15 PM

You're a dentist.  Go buy one.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I wish man.  I would love to be bringing in that sort of cash.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: March 21, 2011, 10:38:42 AM

Heard something the other day that made a fair amount of sense if you're into IT'S A CONSPIRACY, MAN shenanigans...

Tressel will be forced out of Ohio State next year, clearing the way for the hiring of rejuvinated and rested Urban Meyer.  Conspiracy nuts claim that Meyer heard about the Ohio State stuff and has an inside line as to what is going on, and "retired" so he wouldn't be jumping ship from UF immediately to Ohio State.  He did this to ease the transition and hopefully alleviate the LSU/Saban-esque type butthurt that still goes on to this day for him taking the job at Bama.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #89 on: March 21, 2011, 10:45:03 AM

I think it's coincidence. He hated Jeremy Foley at Florida and was tired of his shit. That being said, he ain't retired.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #90 on: March 21, 2011, 12:16:53 PM

I think it's coincidence. He hated Jeremy Foley at Florida and was tired of his shit. That being said, he ain't retired.
I thought they had a good relationship. 
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #91 on: April 13, 2011, 04:09:10 PM

Since basketball is over and it probably pertains as much to football at BYU as basketball, I thought I would put this article in this sub board.

Race, religion and the honor code at BYU.

Clearly, though, something is amiss at BYU, where around 23 percent of the athletes are minorities, according to the university. Only .6 percent of the student body is black (176 out of the 32,947 students enrolled in 2010). Yet a majority of the honor code violations involve black athletes. Do these numbers mean these athletes "sin" more than everyone else? Hardly. Several former BYU football players told us that their white teammates routinely broke the honor code and got away with it, either because they didn't get caught or because their violations were covered up.

Everyone wants to hold BYU up as some bastion of sanctity because of the Brandon Davies situation, but I still contend the whole issue stinks. 
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: April 13, 2011, 04:34:15 PM

I had assumed race was part of it all along. Believe the girlfriend was white, too, so extra likely some dickbag turned him in because of it.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #93 on: April 13, 2011, 04:54:46 PM

They are Mormons, what did you expect?

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #94 on: April 13, 2011, 06:52:51 PM

I expected them to be racist dickbags. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #95 on: April 13, 2011, 07:03:27 PM

I expected them to be racist dickbags. 

Then, congratulations!

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #96 on: April 20, 2011, 04:39:46 PM

Auburn tree poisoner attacked after day in court.

Updyke was punched in the head, and believes there was more than one person involved, but didn't see who did it, Elkins said. The gas station did not have surveillance video.

This whole business just screams trailer park.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #97 on: April 20, 2011, 05:19:52 PM

Several ppl on the radio here doubt he was even really attacked.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #98 on: April 21, 2011, 09:04:02 AM

He's obviously a fucking nutjob.  He probably punched himself up to be able to make a claim like that.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #99 on: April 21, 2011, 11:03:05 AM

He wants a change of venue, so he's going to claim that it's hostile or some shit. I'm not a lawyer, but it still sounds silly.

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: April 21, 2011, 12:02:42 PM

I divert your attention away from the Alabama v Auburn insanity stupidity to bring you this.

Sorry Paelos!!!  /runs like a mofo
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #101 on: April 21, 2011, 12:03:10 PM

He's probably right to want a change of venue, regardless.  To get a fair trial he should probably be tried in California.  

Edit:  Way to drop a match in the gasoline can, Snakecharmer.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #102 on: April 21, 2011, 12:32:46 PM

I divert your attention away from the Alabama v Auburn insanity stupidity to bring you this.

Ohhhhh, I see. Facepalm

Yeah I knew about that two days ago. We're starting them young now.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: April 21, 2011, 01:11:57 PM

It will only really be lawl if they still get a scholarship offer from UGA.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #104 on: April 21, 2011, 01:23:18 PM

I think it's pretty clear that those kids shouldn't even be in college, much less on a scholarship.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 36 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2011 College Football  
Jump to: