Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 17, 2024, 10:17:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2011 College Football 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 36 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2011 College Football  (Read 219896 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #105 on: April 21, 2011, 01:25:49 PM

It will only really be lawl if they still get a scholarship offer from UGA.

The kid broke into our shit, stole from our own players, and then got caught because he tweeted about trying to sell the stolen goods.

If that kid is on our roster at the beginning of the season, I'm selling my tickets. I will have lost the last shred of faith that Mark Richt won't completely fuck up the season.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #106 on: April 22, 2011, 08:29:37 AM

Snake did yall really just put up a 9 foot statue of a coach that's been there for 4 years and hasn't retired yet?

Dude! Insane!

That's on par with them framing the Tebow speech down there in that place that shall not be named.

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: April 22, 2011, 02:48:30 PM

Are you really surprised?  This is Alabama football we're talking about here.  You good and well this sort of thing is the norm around here.   I would have preferred to have had it done after he retired, but I'm probably one of the few Bama fans/alum that think that. 

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #108 on: April 22, 2011, 03:05:18 PM

Are you really surprised?  This is Alabama football we're talking about here.  You good and well this sort of thing is the norm around here.   I would have preferred to have had it done after he retired, but I'm probably one of the few Bama fans/alum that think that. 

Actually, the fact that you put up a statue isn't shocking. A bust of the coach in the whatever would have been fine. A 9 foot statue surprised me. That's incredibly bad luck in my view, but whatever. Not to mention the dude's like 5'9" in heels.

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: April 25, 2011, 01:57:41 PM

Actually, the fact that you put up a statue isn't shocking. A bust of the coach in the whatever would have been fine. A 9 foot statue surprised me. That's incredibly bad luck in my view, but whatever. Not to mention the dude's like 5'9" in heels.

Well, every coach that's won a NC there has a full statue.  I still would prefer for after actual retirement from coaching (from Bama or otherwise).

How much you want to bet that OSU is burning up Urban Meyer's cellular phone about right now?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 02:02:48 PM by SnakeCharmer »
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #110 on: April 25, 2011, 02:01:00 PM

Jimmy's going to take it in the nuts on this one.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #111 on: May 03, 2011, 01:10:25 PM

Good news for Pac-12 schools:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/05/03/SPR91JB9EI.DTL

$21 million/year each from the new TV deal, up from $6 million.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #112 on: May 03, 2011, 01:40:52 PM

Good news for Pac-12 schools:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/05/03/SPR91JB9EI.DTL

$21 million/year each from the new TV deal, up from $6 million.

It's a solid deal for the PAC-12, with the only downside that you have to put up with FOX announcers on your primetime games. It doesn't compete with the SEC 3:30 game on CBS, so I'm all for the change. More TV coverage of decent games like whoever Oregon or USC happen to be playing that week. Or Stanford. You can keep the rest of it local. That'd be great.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #113 on: May 04, 2011, 03:24:12 PM

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/42903702/

In other news, now the DoJ has poked it's head in the door and looked at the BCS in an inquisitive fashion.

Love Letters

Guess I should include:

Bill Hancock, the BCS executive director, was confident the current system complies with the law.

"Goodness gracious, with all that's going on in the world right now and with national and state budgets being what they are, it seems like a waste of taxpayers' money to have the government looking into how college football games are played," he said.

LuLz... sounds a lot like one of those "don't worry about what the fuck we be doing, you got a lot on your plate already"
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 07:17:24 PM by 01101010 »

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: May 09, 2011, 07:20:16 AM

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #115 on: May 09, 2011, 08:07:20 AM

Shit, it's over now. Ohio State committed the cardinal sin. They lied after they knew they had fucked up. When asked, they lied again. Now the NCAA is about to crawl up it's colon and find everything.

Anybody with a lick of sense knows that if the NCAA audits your program, they are going to find something. Hell, Boise State just got nailed with a lack of institutional control.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #116 on: May 09, 2011, 09:10:54 AM

Hell, Boise State just got nailed with a lack of institutional control.

Thank goodness. 
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: May 09, 2011, 09:24:04 AM

Meanwhile, as part of his punishment for not revealing his knowledge of his players' NCAA violations, Ohio State coach Jim Tressel will attend a five-day compliance seminar in June in Tampa, Fla. Ohio State spokesman Jim Lynch confirmed Saturday that Tressel would take part in the NCAA-sponsored event June 6-10 at a resort hotel on the waterfront.

swamp poop

I need punishments like this.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #118 on: May 12, 2011, 07:57:26 AM

This just in from the crock of shit department: Tostitos gets to stay in the BCS Full article below.

Important things to note:

1 - They paid $1M in fines, but keep in mind they netted $1.8M in 2009 and controll $15M in net assets per their returns.
2 - They know they were running this thing like a candy jar, but the government doesn't see the need to step in and get it's cut? Why shouldn't the IRS pull their tax-exempt status?
3 - If this was a University that did the same thing, they would be suspended from playing in the same bowl they are going to let keep going.
4 - This is only an internal punishment. The NCAA hasn't said anything yet. Do they have the balls to shoot a cash cow? Hell no.
5 - It's another feather in the hat for the Playoff PAC, who is going after these guys based on their tax returns. I think it's brilliant.

WASHINGTON -- At the cost of a $1 million fine, the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl will keep its place in the Bowl Championship Series.

The BCS presidential oversight committee imposed the penalty Wednesday in the wake of a scandal at the Arizona-based game that included apparently illegal campaign contributions from staff and lavish spending by the former CEO on parties and a night at a strip club.

Under the ruling, the Fiesta Bowl can remain part of the system for deciding college football's national champion, though in addition to the fine it must also meet certain BCS demands such as strengthening the Fiesta Bowl's board and imposing greater supervision over bowl executives.

"The message is they had cleaned house and addressed their problems, but our group doesn't believe they went far enough," Bill Hancock, executive director of the BCS, said in a telephone interview. He added that the $1 million fine was meant to reflect the "serious nature of the matter."

The BCS called for the money to be donated to charities serving Arizona youth.

In a statement, Fiesta Bowl chairman Duane Woods said: "The Fiesta Bowl Board of Directors understands and accepts the sanctions imposed by the BCS. We think that these tough but fair measures are consistent with our commitment to reform the Fiesta Bowl's governance and rebuild trust. The fine is substantial, but we are pleased that the BCS has directed that the funds benefit the youth of Arizona."

The bowl shouldn't have much trouble coming up with the cash. In a filing with the IRS this year, the Fiesta Bowl listed more than $15 million in net assets.

A recent internal report by the Fiesta Bowl detailed about $45,000 in reimbursements to employees for political donations, an apparent violation of federal and state laws. It also revealed inappropriate spending, such as $33,000 for a Pebble Beach, Calif., birthday bash for then-CEO and president John Junker; $13,000 for the wedding and honeymoon of an aide; and a $1,200 strip club tab for Junker and two others. Junker has been fired.

The oversight committee Wednesday accepted recommendations made in a report by a BCS task force, which said it was "deeply troubled" by the Fiesta Bowl's actions. Those actions, the task force said, strongly suggest "that the bowl's executive staff frequently acted with scant regard for ethics and proper conduct. Further, it is the opinion of the task force that the bowl's board of directors over the years was negligent in its oversight responsibilities."

Both the task force and the oversight committee are chaired by Penn State president Graham Spanier.

The Fiesta Bowl, played at University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, Ariz., is one of four bowls that rotate hosting the BCS national title game, along with the Orange, Sugar and Rose Bowls.

Even with Wednesday's ruling, the Fiesta Bowl is not entirely in the clear yet. An NCAA panel will decide whether to continue licensing the bowl. That panel recently delayed the decision, saying it wanted to gather more information and review the BCS task force findings. The NCAA also said it will re-examine its role in licensing bowls more generally and has put a three-year hold on any new postseason games following the Fiesta Bowl's problems.

NCAA spokesman Bob Williams called the BCS actions on the Fiesta Bowl "serious and constructive," adding that the NCAA panel will meet next week to consider licensing of the Fiesta Bowl and the Insight Bowl, a minor postseason game run by the same organization.

Matthew Sanderson, a founder of Playoff PAC, which advocates switching to a playoff system to determine a national college football champion, noted that Junker made $674,000, in addition to running up extravagant expenses.

"They fired John Junker and paid a million-dollar fine -- I'd say the Fiesta Bowl probably came out ahead," he said. "I'd say it was a profit-making move for the Fiesta Bowl."

Sanderson accused the BCS officials of a "rush to judgment. It was an effort to get a very bad headline out of the way as soon as possible, in the offseason. They should have taken a harder look at it."

In a tax complaint filed last year, Playoff PAC alleged that the Fiesta, Orange and Sugar Bowls violated their tax-exempt status by inappropriate spending and other activities. Sanderson said that the BCS undermined its credibility by not looking at the other bowls.

The Fiesta Bowl's struggles were being closely watched by the Cotton Bowl, which is widely considered next in line to move into the BCS and has moved from its antiquated former home into the $1.3 billion Cowboys Stadium outside Dallas. Cotton Bowl president Rick Baker said in a statement his bowl respects Wednesday's decision.

The internal report on the Fiesta Bowl was conducted by an outside law firm, but Hancock rejected the suggestion that the other bowls that make up the BCS should undergo the same scrutiny.

"There's no indication of any similar improprieties in the other bowls," he told reporters on a conference call. "It's unfair to paint innocent people with the same brush." The BCS does plan to come up with "responsible governance" standards that it will require its bowls to meet.

The BCS task force said that the Fiesta Bowl had taken several steps in the right direction since the internal report came out, such as changing expense reimbursement processes for senior staff and establishing criteria to serve on the board.

Among other things, the BCS said the Fiesta Bowl must remove board members who were found to have engaged in inappropriate conduct; include at least two members from the "collegiate community" on the board, such as faculty members or athletic directors; conduct an annual internal audit and share the results with the BCS executive director; replace its auditing firm (PriceWaterhouseCoopers) or bring in a new supervisory partner; and consult with the BCS on the hiring of a new executive director.

"We think that the reforms that they have instituted and the ones we have instituted together will set them on the right path," Hancock said. But he cautioned that the bowl still had a long way to go.

"They have to regain the trust of the community," he said.

WayAbvPar

Reply #119 on: May 12, 2011, 08:46:26 AM

Slap on the wrist. Was hoping for real change. HA.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #120 on: May 18, 2011, 09:36:01 AM

I wasn't sure where to put this, so it might as well go here.

Former University of Kentucky quarterback Jared Lorenzen shows off his belly in playing QB for the Northern Kentucky River Monsters

This is classic.  The dude is sooooooo fat, even for a lineman. 
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: May 18, 2011, 03:27:47 PM

Not exactly football related, but Ron Guenther is retiring in a month at Illinois after 19 years as AD.

Maybe now we can get a decent football coach once Zook gets the boot in a year or two!

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #122 on: May 30, 2011, 07:09:50 AM

Wow!  Jim Tressel resigns

While the guy dug his own bed, I would have to think that he was one of the less dirty coaches out there.  I think they all cheat, or at least bend the rules, but how could you not with the fucking monstrosity that is the NCAA rulebook? 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #123 on: May 30, 2011, 07:12:32 AM

Because ghost, and I'll be the broken record here, he covered it up. The NCAA won't pound you into dust unless they start digging and you don't fess up.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #124 on: May 30, 2011, 07:53:19 AM

Oh, I understand the reasons.  Are you trying to tell me that most other coaches don't try to cover things up?  They do, but he did lie to the NCAA.  I just think it's a bunch of hypocritical shite, generally.
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: May 30, 2011, 09:28:15 AM

He'll be coaching at Michigan in 5 years.  awesome, for real why so serious?

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #126 on: May 30, 2011, 10:40:03 AM

Tressell's program was a fucking joke, and this is coming from someone who does not follow college football. He was as dirty as any and apparently really bad at covering it up. I actually would partly blame the fact that Maurice Clarett did such a spectacular flameout on the fact that Tressell let him get away with so much shit in college. Is the NCAA as an institution broken as shit? You betcha, and guys like Tressell are a big part of the reason why. He should have been gone years ago.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #127 on: May 30, 2011, 02:36:12 PM

Oh, I understand the reasons.  Are you trying to tell me that most other coaches don't try to cover things up?  They do, but he did lie to the NCAA.  I just think it's a bunch of hypocritical shite, generally.

I don't. He signed an agreement saying that you were unaware of any issues. It's one thing to lie. It's quite another to lie when you're asked if you're lying and then sign your name to said documents.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #128 on: May 30, 2011, 07:45:36 PM

The shit is getting ready to hit the fan in Columbus.....

Edit:  You win, Paelos.  I was chalking this dude up to ignorance, but this article pretty much blows that theory away.

More:  

The shit is going to hit the fan part II....

« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 08:08:21 PM by ghost »
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: May 30, 2011, 08:41:25 PM

Scratch what I said earlier about Urban Myer being the next head coach for the Formally The Ohio State Buckeyes program.  If they don't get fucking HAMMERED by the NCAA, you can bet a legion of angry, paranoid Bama fans are going to make a roadtrip to Indianapolis and burn the place down.

e:  Holy shit...Read this then try and imagine what isn't reported/caught.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 08:53:39 PM by SnakeCharmer »
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #130 on: May 30, 2011, 08:44:53 PM

If they NCAA keeps pulling at these threads, they may get more than they bargained for with the "best" programs over the last 15 years.

USC - busted
Ohio State - busted
Alabama - busted
Boise State - busted
Auburn - pending
Texas - Huh
Florida - Huh

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: May 30, 2011, 08:55:45 PM

Wasn't Oregon State being looked at?
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #132 on: May 30, 2011, 09:28:26 PM

Oregon had some shady dealing with a recruiting service

The real problem here is the NCAA.  They will never be able to police their own rulebook.  Hell, half the time it is a federal investigation that tips them off.  Pretty soon, all the big boys will be on probation. 
WayAbvPar

Reply #133 on: May 31, 2011, 12:15:06 PM

Eat a dick, sweatervest. Not quite so smug now, are you?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #134 on: May 31, 2011, 12:18:40 PM

I must say, I feast on the tears of Ohio State fans that want to cry that everyone is doing it.

For years it was about running a program the right way, winning with class, and maintaining a legacy. The SEC was always dirty when they won and Ohio State choked on the moment.

By the way, I loved how Ohio State fans kept trotting out beating Michigan as a reason to keep a coach. Since when is beating Michigan a reason to keep a coach on? 2005? My god Mississippi State SMOKED that team in a bowl game last year. The year before that, they lost to Purdue and Illinois. Before that it was Toledo, Northwestern, and Utah. To borrow a phrase they love now: EVERYONE ELSE IS DOING IT!

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #135 on: June 02, 2011, 06:20:11 AM

I'm starting to feel like Terrelle Pryor is going to be Maurice Clarette part II.  This kid is a borderline fuck up and now has the media crawling up his ass.  It won't be long until it completely blows up.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #136 on: June 02, 2011, 06:21:48 AM

If the NCAA doesn't bitchslap Ohio State even harder than USC, I'd be shocked at this point.

Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: June 02, 2011, 06:23:02 AM

I'm starting to feel like Terrelle Pryor is going to be Maurice Clarette part II.  This kid is a borderline fuck up and now has the media crawling up his ass.  It won't be long until it completely blows up.

Funny part is the fact the kid could have gone to Michigan but IIRC, he wanted to play for Tressell. Wondering why now why so serious?

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: June 02, 2011, 07:38:28 AM

If the NCAA doesn't bitchslap Ohio State even harder than USC, I'd be shocked at this point.

USC got off light, as far as I'm concerned.  tOSU really should be looking at the death penalty for this; at the very least shutting down the football program for a year or declaring every single player involved ineligible plus scholarship reductions, TV/bowl ban, etc.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #139 on: June 02, 2011, 07:40:11 AM

That will never happen Snakecharmer.  The NCAA will ease up on this stuff once it starts cutting into its bottom line. 
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 36 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2011 College Football  
Jump to: