Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 01:50:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Blood Bowl Bullshit  |  Topic: Blood bowl resources/questions 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blood bowl resources/questions  (Read 167957 times)
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #35 on: January 25, 2011, 12:06:54 PM

You can also do that blitz shortcut thing by clicking on the little lightning bolt icon over on the right side (the same way you'd use your wizard for example.)

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: January 25, 2011, 12:08:51 PM

Actually I had no idea how to use my wizard the last game. Still don't   Ohhhhh, I see.

Hic sunt dracones.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: January 25, 2011, 12:11:18 PM

Ah. Well, down the right side of the screen are a bunch of little tiny pictures with number next to them, representing things like how many cheerleaders you have, your apothecary, etc. One of them is the wizard - to use it you click on that one, it then pops up the choice between fireball or lightning bolt, and you go from there.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #38 on: January 25, 2011, 12:16:59 PM

You'd think they'd have a manual for that, instead of the steam version just pointing to competition rules.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #39 on: January 25, 2011, 02:24:42 PM

Yeah, the UI for Blood Bowl is pretty craptacular, especially if you've never played the board game. The fact there isn't a manual for the actual video game makes it even worse.

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #40 on: January 25, 2011, 02:26:36 PM

Cyanide are the only developers in the world who are worse than CCP at UI design.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Bann
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: January 25, 2011, 03:41:37 PM

So my ogre gained a level, and he rolled double sixes. after doing a small amount of digging, I decided to go with a STR increase. Im still not sure if that was a good idea or not - the doubles would have also given me access to block. I've never quite got a feel on how valuable Stat increases are. I'm wondering how valuable other players rate stat increase in general, and specifically, if its worth it to take a big guy to STR 6.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #42 on: January 25, 2011, 03:45:37 PM

So my ogre gained a level, and he rolled double sixes. after doing a small amount of digging, I decided to go with a STR increase. Im still not sure if that was a good idea or not - the doubles would have also given me access to block. I've never quite got a feel on how valuable Stat increases are. I'm wondering how valuable other players rate stat increase in general, and specifically, if its worth it to take a big guy to STR 6.

In another league I have a Witch Elf with Block, Tackle and +1 Str. She is a murder machine. The value of stat increases is very much dependent on the player, for an Ogre there isn't the same value in going to S6 as there is for a S3 blitzer to go to S4. For the Ogre I'd probably have taken the skill because Block will help him in more situations than another point of Str.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: January 25, 2011, 04:01:07 PM

It depends a whole lot on the player. I have a goblin in one of my sides with +STR, but I don't know if it's the right thing. It means he can block a whole lot more, but it also moves his cost from 40k to 90k, which is massive.

In general I'd never get +AGI on low AGI players, and I'd never go past 5 AGI. +MV is only really taken if you play with a throwing team or a running team like Skaven, I'd never get it if you cage on anything other than a blitzing player. +AV I rarely rarely suggest taking.

Strength I'd only take if you think you need it. With a big guy it is often better to get Block, as that will make a bigger difference to your knockdown odds more of the time and doubles are reasonably rare. On other units it's normally a pretty safe choice to make if they are in any way offensive players or ball carriers. Keep in mind the TV cost though. Strength is expensive and if you're not getting value from it your just giving away inducement money.
Kalle
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: January 25, 2011, 04:19:32 PM

+MV depends on the player and team IMO. I'd take it on any player on a Dwarf team except possibly the death roller because it covers the only real weakness the dwarves have.

If a bashy player has a MV of 4 or lower then he can make good use of a MV increase, though I'd give them Block first. Same goes for players with a MV of 8 or 9 who get to enhance their edge in the running game, and sometimes you want it on MV7 players as well.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #45 on: January 25, 2011, 04:44:26 PM

Yeah, when I leveled Nealtor to 3, I actually got the MV/AV upgrade option.  However, he can already run pretty far, and I use him to throw a ton, so Accurate was just something I felt would have a bigger impact (though MV would be nice if he had accurate already.  He does run a lot).  Though with how you guys keep talking, maybe I should have gotten him the AV.   Ohhhhh, I see.

+STR is pretty much an instant take on any elf.  I don't think its actually possible for anybody to go above 5 AGI Lamaros...

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Calvin and Hobbes are back to maul the fuck outta you.

Reply #46 on: January 25, 2011, 05:05:00 PM

6 agi gutter runners aren't that uncommon...

But I feel the same Tel. I could have taken AV for poor Hobbes but went for the movement.

I looked at Ing's armour roll and it was 11 anyway so no difference.

AV/MV increases really seem to divide coaching opinions which is quite cool.  Ohhhhh, I see.

In a Blaze of Glory I say!  awesome, for real
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: January 25, 2011, 05:09:54 PM

My first player to level is a Tomb Guardian, and I rolled a 10, and couldn't turn down +MV.  From Move 4 to Move 5!  Fastest mummy in the west!  

If it was double 5s instead of a 6 & 4 I probably would have taken Block, though.  

I would have totally taken the Str 6 on an Ogre instead of Block.  Come on.  Str 6 will be a rampaging machine that takes a whole herd of people to take down.  When he isn't being a dumb ogre and losing his turn, anyway.   He can take Block when he rolls double 2s or something. 

Llyse
Terracotta Army

Calvin and Hobbes are back to maul the fuck outta you.

Reply #48 on: January 25, 2011, 05:12:24 PM

Yeah, block is more consistent. 6 str is just hilarity and pure manliness.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Besides big guys, always take str up (cept maybe snots)
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: January 25, 2011, 05:17:24 PM

I'm wondering how valuable other players rate stat increase in general, and specifically, if its worth it to take a big guy to STR 6.

Napkin math here:

As I understand the rules, against an STR3 opponent, you'll be moving from 2 block dice to 3 block dice.  Without block, you'll go down 1/3 of the time (once on both down, and once on attacker down, out of six possible outcomes) on one die.  Chances of rolling a bad result on all three die are therefore (1/3^3) one in twenty-seven.

With block instead, you're looking at a fall 1/6 of the time (on attacker down only) but only two dice on a block.  So your chance of rolling double skulls is something like (1/6^2) one in thirty-six.  So block comes out on top.

On the other hand, a player with a str of 6 requires something like five str 3 players to get two dice against him, and if you're going up against ball carriers with a lot of block and dodge, three dice are going to roll more tackes than two with block.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #50 on: January 25, 2011, 05:24:25 PM

Or, if you want to chance a single-die block...a single player with Dauntless who makes the roll (which usually happens).

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Kalle
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: January 25, 2011, 06:10:39 PM

Napkin math here:

As I understand the rules, against an STR3 opponent, you'll be moving from 2 block dice to 3 block dice.

Minor nitpick. You need to have more than double an opponents strength to get three block dice, just double strength isn't enough. So you need ST7 to get three dice against ST3. Or ST6 and one assist, which shouldn't be very hard to come by.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #52 on: January 25, 2011, 06:14:21 PM

I think taking the +1STR was the right decision, if only for the opportunity to take Break Tackle later and become an unstoppable clobbering machine.

For big guys other than Human Ogres you also have to factor in STR's usefulness for tentacles, etc.  A STR 6 Beast of Nurgle or STR 6 Chaos Minotaur with tentacles could be pretty devastating.  My GRs would have to roll a 10 or higher on a 2D6 to get away from something like that, and if they failed they'd be toast.

It is definitely a situational decision though.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #53 on: January 25, 2011, 07:00:42 PM

+1ST is the right call, he can now block ST5 with 2 dice one on one, sure that might not be often but it will feeeeeeel good. Now if he just doesn't die before he can get block you are golden.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: January 26, 2011, 09:47:09 AM

Are the teams made in single player usable in multiplayer?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: January 26, 2011, 09:57:51 AM

No, you make a team on the multi player server, and then have it join the various public/private leagues to play.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: January 26, 2011, 10:09:34 AM

So your teams in multiplayer are based on what server you join?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: January 26, 2011, 11:09:09 AM

There's only one multiplayer environment, no different servers to join.

What you'll want to do is create a private league and have your other friends join it.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: January 26, 2011, 11:13:45 AM

Yeah, should have phrased that better.  What Ingmar said.

-Stephen Colbert
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #59 on: January 26, 2011, 11:28:05 AM

The alternative to that is signing your team up to the Auld league. If you want to do a private league you can always unregister your team with Auld and then sign them up for the private one.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: January 26, 2011, 11:39:52 AM

So, teams are stored on some central game maker managed server somewhere. Odd as all the Multiplayer windows I have seen are direct IP. Thought I did skip the league button.

But you guys answered my main question.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: January 26, 2011, 11:41:14 AM

You might be able to play directly one on one with someone by IP, I've never tried that. If you want to do the league thing with prizes, fixed rules, etc., I am pretty sure you have to go through their server.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: January 26, 2011, 06:08:39 PM

Some people don't like to lose at this game. He then proceeded to DC, then reconnect every 4 mins. Think I should bother reporting him?
Ice Cream Emperor
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: January 26, 2011, 06:58:06 PM

Might as well report himl, you have a nice shiny screenshot after all.
avaia
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: January 26, 2011, 07:08:50 PM

Some people don't like to lose at this game. He then proceeded to DC, then reconnect every 4 mins. Think I should bother reporting him?

Falc totally tried this with me today, too.   this guy looks legit
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #65 on: January 26, 2011, 07:11:41 PM

Report him.  Some people just can't have nice things.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: January 26, 2011, 07:36:36 PM

How does firing players work?  Both my (Pro Elf) catchers are permanently maimed, and I'm wondering how to handle that.  When I let a player go, does it give me any of their cost back, or do they just get deleted from my roster?  And when I do have enough to replace them, should I fire the cripples to keep my TV down (am I right in suspecting that crippled players have just as high TV as regular players?) or should I keep them to give myself a bit of a bench?
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #67 on: January 26, 2011, 07:46:30 PM

You get no money back if you fire players past the initial team-building period. As far as keeping/firing is concerned, that tends to be situational. what kind of injury it is, on what kind of player, how much money you have, what teams you are likely to be facing - all of these things will dictate your approach. Typically, if it's a injury that is directly detrimental to the player (-1ag on an elf, -1st on an orc), that guy usually gets chopped and replaced asap. If it's something like -av on a dorf lino, then it's fairly meh. The average advice is to stick them on the line of scrimmage every game and let the problem solve itself. Similarly, losing a point of st on a pro-elf catcher is something you'll want to cut & replace eventually, doesn't take away from their function (of providing mobile assists and screens, scoring the occasional touchdown and padding the bench) entirely, and is rarely a high-priority replacement.

And yes, their tv stays the same regardless of injury.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Kalle
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: January 27, 2011, 06:19:24 AM

Or, if you want to chance a single-die block...a single player with Dauntless who makes the roll (which usually happens).

If you make your Dauntless roll a single assist will let you roll two dice for the block and since your objective is to knock down that big guy you're hitting you shouldn't try to do it unassisted. I usually try to set up Dauntless blitzes with enough assists that even if I fail the roll I'll get a one-die regular block. So two assists on ST3 vs ST5 which is the usual scenario.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #69 on: January 27, 2011, 06:29:16 AM

I've got to make the call on the stupid -1 str blitzer. I only had enough dough to pick up a lineorc, so I'll definitely miss his blocking. On the one hand, I'd like to dump his marginal TV, on the other, having a player I really don't give a shit about, with block, on the los is an attractive alternative. I'll just hope his block and av9 keep him from being too much of an easy font of spp for you guys  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Blood Bowl Bullshit  |  Topic: Blood bowl resources/questions  
Jump to: