Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:55:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Blood Bowl Bullshit  |  Topic: Blood bowl resources/questions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blood bowl resources/questions  (Read 168088 times)
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: April 18, 2011, 01:49:21 AM

They either run away from everything, have ST4, or learn to deal with falling down a lot. Usually a combination.

What race did you win with? I'm curious what sort of teams the new players are gravitating towards.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #106 on: April 18, 2011, 04:30:48 AM

I did Norse first. I am considering trying Amazons next (they were the team I played against!). I'm trying not to pick dwarves because Ingmar basically called dibbs.  why so serious?

God Save the Horn Players
avaia
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: April 18, 2011, 06:59:55 AM

How do people play without block? I am pretty sure I would not be able to do it without wanting to weep.

Just pretend you have a shitty healer/dps and you need to be cautious with your pulls.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #108 on: April 18, 2011, 07:22:06 AM

How do people play without block? I am pretty sure I would not be able to do it without wanting to weep.
My orcs are pretty resistant to damage when they're knocked down, but a good team rolls over them. I did get block on a single Black Orc (my ST4 guys on the line) and the orc Blitzers all start with block.

A bigger problem tends to be not having tackle or guard, at least for the orcs. Once I can get block and guard on my Black Orcs, I'll at least be able to mount a wee bit of resistance. Elves and those goddamned Amazons just dance away from my markers.
Celer
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: April 18, 2011, 07:51:04 AM

It's okay if you run out of time on 2-minute turns, really.  It's a lot better than the games taking over 2 hours.

And yeah, if you don't have Block, you just need to get used to pushing a lot more than knocking over, and having to consider burning a reroll on the few times per game that you roll double skulls (sometimes it's better to just take the turnover, assuming you're saving those moves for last).  A corollary is that you almost never 1d block without Block, because 1/3 of the time you end up on your back.

But it depends on the team.  Elves, well they don't block much anyway, so you just keep them out of hitting range.  Bashy teams, you load up on Guard to be able to provide more assists (and the higher STR guys don't get hit much anyway).

When you try Amazons, you will start to wonder how anyone can play without Dodge!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #110 on: April 18, 2011, 08:28:37 AM

Just pretend you have a shitty healer/dps and you need to be cautious with your pulls.

[face_heart]

It's okay if you run out of time on 2-minute turns, really.

NO IT'S NOT OKAY

And yeah, Sky, I noticed Amazons like to just skip their way through people, it was pretty annoying. But then I punched them in all their faces. ALL OF THEM. Then I felt better.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #111 on: April 18, 2011, 08:30:31 AM

My chaos team takes elf-punching to new and glorious levels.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: April 18, 2011, 08:57:01 AM

My chaos team takes elf-punching to new and glorious levels.
Ask Haemmy about that  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #113 on: April 18, 2011, 09:13:06 AM

Everybody likes elf-punching. Even other elves.

Kalle
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: April 18, 2011, 09:43:11 AM

Suck it up until your players gain a level. That, and be more careful about making blocks. It's extra important to have a spare team reroll for the important blocks in your turn.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: April 18, 2011, 11:49:20 AM

I'm unsure that taking Leader with my thrower was the best choice, but damn if it isn't nice having the extra reroll.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #116 on: April 18, 2011, 11:54:14 AM

I think rerolls for orcs are 60k of TV, and leader on a guy with P access is only 50k20k TV, so for you it is a slightly cheaper way to get a reroll. The main question is, would it have been better to take some other ability on the orc that would be more personally useful for him and just spend cash on the reroll. The answer to that is probably "usually" but it wasn't a horrid mistake or anything certainly.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 11:56:14 AM by Ingmar »

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: April 18, 2011, 12:15:07 PM

Wait, what ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: April 18, 2011, 12:24:48 PM

If he takes leader on his orc passer, his team value goes up by 20k, if he buys a reroll (for 120k of cash) his team value goes up by 60k. Either way gets him a reroll, so at first you might think 'leader is the better choice hands down,' because minimizing your team value where you can is good, it means less inducements for your opponent (or more inducements for you.)

The problem, though, is that picking leader on the passer carries an opportunity cost of not getting some other more useful skill that will make him more effective. If the thrower levels up early before you've bought all the players you want, leader is more attractive because it lets you save money for a troll instead of a reroll, or whatever. It is basically a judgement call, and kinda depends what team you're playing as rerolls cost different amounts for different teams.

(There's also the detail that if the orc gets hurt in the first half, you won't have his reroll for the 2nd half.)

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: April 18, 2011, 01:54:14 PM

Well, I was/am a newb and someone suggested it for my first level-up. Like I said, it's nice to have, but now that I've got a couple guys leveled up and can think about how I want to play, I wish the thrower were a slightly stronger ball carrier. Ah, well.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: April 18, 2011, 02:49:32 PM

I did Norse first. I am considering trying Amazons next (they were the team I played against!). I'm trying not to pick dwarves because Ingmar basically called dibbs.  why so serious?

In your specific case I would avoid amazon, as they are dwarfs best match up (tackle beats dodge) . Trying to work out what beats dwarf at low to medium tv, hmm, Khemri I guess (but they lose to almost everything else), Orc maybe, Lizardmen? High Elf? Necromantic?

I have no idea really.

Nerf dwarfs tbh.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: April 18, 2011, 03:13:09 PM

I wouldn't be so mean as to play dwarves against her in a practice match.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #122 on: April 18, 2011, 03:47:42 PM

I love Norse, but I'm starting to see how they play better at lower TV than higher.  Ohhhhh, I see.

But yeah, if you don't have block, you have to be much more discerning in your block choices. Sometimes, just leaving a guy marked is ok. Or, you could just dodge away.

Personally, I prefer face-punching. Every time.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #123 on: April 18, 2011, 03:58:33 PM

In your specific case I would avoid amazon, as they are dwarfs best match up (tackle beats dodge) . Trying to work out what beats dwarf at low to medium tv, hmm, Khemri I guess (but they lose to almost everything else), Orc maybe, Lizardmen? High Elf? Necromantic?

I have no idea really.

Nerf dwarfs tbh.

Aw, I just meant dwarves, in my mind, are Ingmar's thing and I didn't want to be a copycat. I have no idea what he'll play when I finally decide I have enough of a clue about the game for it to be helpful to have him kick my ass in some practice matches.  why so serious?

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: April 18, 2011, 04:11:56 PM

if you don't have block

Wait, there are BB guys without block?

I thought that only happened to the other team?

I wouldn't be so mean as to play dwarves against her in a practice match.

I like how you limit this to practice matches, and attempt to nonetheless put it forward as some kind of concesssion.

Just putting it out here, the most successful teams against Dwarfs (according to BBManager) are Necromantic, High Elf, and Khemri.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #125 on: April 18, 2011, 07:29:51 PM

Holy shit, didn't even know there was a hosted server online component to this game.  Tight!  What league should I join? I tried Albion but it's been 5 minutes and no matches.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: April 18, 2011, 07:41:01 PM

I think Auld World and Naggaroth are the only public leagues anyone bothers with. Auld World lets you arrange games so everyone there inflates their TV artificially; Naggaroth only allows matchmaking so you can't guarantee getting to play with your friends, but only half the people inflate their TV artificially. Or something. That's how it was some months back, at least.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #127 on: April 19, 2011, 05:26:06 PM

Now I played a Norse vs Nurgle game (this is all versus the stupid computer, mind you) and I should've won but I was an idiot that forgot it was the last turn, so I didn't GFI into the end zone.  swamp poop

I did not like playing Nurgle. They are gross.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: April 20, 2011, 02:17:50 AM

And the moral of the story is;  your star skaven thrower should run away.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #129 on: April 20, 2011, 08:25:12 AM

Nurgle is a HUGE pain in the ass to play against.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #130 on: April 30, 2011, 11:45:29 PM

Note to self: I am terrible at elves.

AndyDavo
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: May 01, 2011, 10:02:15 AM

I have no idea really.

Nerf dwarfs tbh.

Orc's eat dwarves at low TV, infact they should eat them at all TVs.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: May 16, 2011, 08:37:42 PM

I played 3 games tonight, 2 in the Auld league the other in Naggaroth, 3 different teams with stuntys, Ogre, Lizardmen and Goblins.  All were new, low TV teams.  I have to say I'm growing partial to stuntys.  The Ogre game was against a Chaos team and it was tied 1-1 when lag and continuing disconnects made me abandon the game at turn 10, where we were stuck at for over 30 mins.  Its too bad too since I was most likely going to score to pull ahead 2-1 and one of my snotlings actually managed to kill one of his beastmen with a foul.  Despite my ogres doing nothing most of the time, it was fun up until the technical issues became too much.  My lizardman game was against a vampire team and I pretty much crushed him, winning 2-0.  Having played vampire teams a few times, I have no idea why anyone would want to play one.  The goblin match was the most fun and comical and it was against the same vampire team.  I had no idea what each player did but still managed to use my bomb guy to get the ball out of his hands and into my pogoers's.  I still somehow managed to kick the crap out of his team and send 5 or 6 off badly hurt and injured.  I won that one 2-1.  Might have been a shutout or I could have scored one more if not for the trolls standing around with their thumb up their asses at key times.  Tried to throw one of my goblins down the field but it didn't work.  Overall, I like the play style of the stunty teams but you're often at the mercy of your big guys and whether or not they do what you want them to do.  I'm curious to see what other people think of the stunty teams and how best to play them.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: May 16, 2011, 08:53:36 PM

You could technically play Orcs as a stunty team, too. What's the gobbo limit?
Ulysees
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: June 01, 2011, 08:13:57 AM

Can anyone advise what happens if I take Morgnthorg with a full compelement team of lizardmen - IE I have 6 Sauras's, a Krox and 4 Skinks - does he replace the Krox or one of the Saurus's? Thinking I might need him against Team Snoosoo but don't really want to lose my Krox since I need to try and get some SSP on him ASAP.
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #135 on: June 01, 2011, 08:32:44 AM

Can anyone advise what happens if I take Morgnthorg with a full compelement team of lizardmen - IE I have 6 Sauras's, a Krox and 4 Skinks - does he replace the Krox or one of the Saurus's? Thinking I might need him against Team Snoosoo but don't really want to lose my Krox since I need to try and get some SSP on him ASAP.

Six Saurii, a Krox and four Skinks only makes 11 players. If you take Morg you just get to pick a player to put onto the sidelines during each drive. So effectively you gain a player in reserve.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Ice Cream Emperor
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: June 01, 2011, 08:41:59 AM

Yeah. To be extra clear: Star Players never count against team limits for positional players. The only limits that apply to hiring Star Players are that they can't give you more than 16 players total, and you can only hire two of them at once.

By contrast, if you use inducements to hire a mercenary (Loner) version of a regular player, you need to have 'room' for them in your roster. So for example, a Chaos team with 4 healthy Chaos Warriors could not also hire a Chaos Warrior mercenary. Players that are out due to injury don't count towards the limit.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: June 01, 2011, 08:53:22 AM

Morg would be a good idea. Playing Snooze will be like playing me, except without my mistakes and all the players are skilled.  ACK!
Ulysees
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: June 01, 2011, 09:17:21 AM

Thanks for the advice all, cleared that up nicely. Sky I don't think you made many mistakes in our game tbh (from my limited online play, you were only the second online opponent I had ever played) just a shame you couldn't take advantage when I only had that thin Skink line for cover or you would have at least got the draw.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: June 03, 2011, 04:17:11 AM

Does Hail Mary Pass (the Skill) cause a turnover ?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Blood Bowl Bullshit  |  Topic: Blood bowl resources/questions  
Jump to: