Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 12:28:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Blood Bowl Bullshit  |  Topic: Blood bowl resources/questions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blood bowl resources/questions  (Read 167953 times)
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #280 on: December 23, 2012, 06:27:56 PM

Also, from the repeated ass-kicking I'm suffering, let me assure you the "blocking" thing is very, very important and I suck so much with it. Fun though. :)

Check your dice blocks before confirming it. Low STR / High STR will affect this, as well as assists they're getting.
1 die is bad, 2 is good.

Supportive skills also affect the outcome of blocks.
Block, Dodge, Wrestle will help you understand why it's better to blitz with a blitzer and not with the catcher.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #281 on: December 23, 2012, 06:42:35 PM

Should I be learning Blitz or Classic?
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Calvin and Hobbes are back to maul the fuck outta you.

Reply #282 on: December 23, 2012, 08:10:14 PM

Should I be learning Blitz or Classic?

Classic
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #283 on: December 23, 2012, 08:18:38 PM

Classic.  Blitz is an abomination.

There is a great how-to for blocking at the top of this thread, I think.  It is only 3 or 4 pages long, but will explain how blocking works.  Blocking is pretty simple, but mastering it can take a while.  I have over 200 games under my belt and still learn new tricks.  If you want some scrimmage games against me let me know.  I've helped a few new players.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 08:20:29 PM by Ruvaldt »

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #284 on: December 23, 2012, 08:20:33 PM

Blitz is almost identical to classic, except for some team management based details and some flukey extra inducements.  The thing you really want to stay away from is real-time mode.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #285 on: December 23, 2012, 08:21:21 PM

I thought blitz was the real time mode.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #286 on: December 23, 2012, 08:29:24 PM

No, real-time mode is an option under the Blitz type.  You can also play it in turn-based mode, where it's basically like classical in terms of how the actual game is played, there's just some weirdness with the teams (like you have to pick a sponsor now, who gives you a slightly higher starting bank depending on your objectives) and inducements (which are mostly weird, percentage based things, like you can play this derpy timing based minigame to give a player a chance to gain a point in an attribute for a game, but if you lose it they sit the game out, or you can spend money on potions of strength/agility/etc. which have a chance of giving the player a one game boost in that attribute, but might do nothing, that kind of thing).  You can also buy your players armor and stuff for extra bonuses, though it's expensive.  Generally, I like blitz mode for single player stuff, even though the CPU cheats relentlessly at it, because there's more options and stuff, but it doesn't really revolutionize the game.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #287 on: December 23, 2012, 08:38:21 PM

I'm playing undead in campaign mode (medium difficulty) and my most successful game has been a 1-0 loss. I have yet to score. I was close, once, but time ran out.

Part of it's dumb mistakes -- clicking right instead of left and running a guy into an Attack of Oppurtunity. (It's not what's it's called, but it's what it is!). Last game there was a fun like...5 turns as both sides were unable to pick up a freakin' ball.
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #288 on: December 23, 2012, 08:40:14 PM

I'm playing undead in campaign mode (medium difficulty) and my most successful game has been a 1-0 loss. I have yet to score. I was close, once, but time ran out.

Part of it's dumb mistakes -- clicking right instead of left and running a guy into an Attack of Oppurtunity. (It's not what's it's called, but it's what it is!). Last game there was a fun like...5 turns as both sides were unable to pick up a freakin' ball.

learn to cage.
like ... carrier in the middle... all tuff guys on the outer 8 tiles covered.

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #289 on: December 23, 2012, 08:53:05 PM

Yeah, I'm working that out. Also, when you create a new team -- is there a way to add/buy skills for them? Or does that just happen through play?

I haven't seen an option to change their skills or anything. They just come with what they come with.
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #290 on: December 23, 2012, 08:55:11 PM

Yeah, I'm working that out. Also, when you create a new team -- is there a way to add/buy skills for them? Or does that just happen through play?

I haven't seen an option to change their skills or anything. They just come with what they come with.

bro u cant buy skills, it's like rpg. get out there n earn the SPP
if u can buy skills - then everyone would fucking hate Chaos low tier team so much  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #291 on: December 23, 2012, 08:59:25 PM

Skills are added as they level up.  Different pieces have different selections of skills as well, but that can be altered by your level-up dice.  You'll see that when you get there.  Block is rarely a bad first skill for any piece.

Don't be frustrated either.  You're going to lose a lot at first.

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #292 on: December 23, 2012, 09:33:45 PM

So, in short -- just make a basic team for the league and if the team score rises over 1400, I have to replace some players to keep it under for the feeder league?

That's pretty much what I thought. Undead is pretty fun to play, but my first few attempts -- I didn't buy enough rerolls. Those are important. I should have some. :)

There was a certain deep satisifaction in outright killine a few people when I was getting stomped into the ground. I may have lost, but they lost their ugly Cthulu-like center. Stone cold dead, not injured. :)

I'm wonderign what the odds are on stomping downed foes -- getting called by the refs, I mean.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #293 on: December 23, 2012, 10:04:58 PM

The Feeder League has no limit on TV.  Just join with any team that hasn't played a game yet and you're set.  Right now, to move a team from the Feeder League to the regular season there is a TV limit, but we've actually been discussing increasing it or doing away with the limit altogether.  Just go for it, put several teams in the Feeder League so you can get a feel for different play styles.

Fouling is a fine strategy; you get caught when you roll doubles on the armor break or the injury roll, but the injury roll only occurs if the armor breaks.  The DQ odds depend upon the AV of the target because the odds of armor breaks change depending upon that value, but you have a 16.5% chance of being thrown out just on the armor break roll.  Generally you want to do it at the end of a turn because it can cause a turnover, and you should foul against a high value player using a player with a low value so if they do get DQ'd it isn't a huge loss.  Also, if you're going to foul, surround the potential foul with as many of your players as possible to assist.  If I have a player advantage, meaning, if I have more players on the field, I generally won't foul.  I tend to foul star players and one-turn scorers.  Fouling also doesn't give any spp and fouling on the last turn against a fellow human is generally considered bad form.

Seeing that red cross or skull appear when you wound/kill a player is a feeling like no other.  It's addictive, too.  Then you just have to start a Chaos team...

Also, name your players during hiring.  Having a naming scheme is a key to victory and makes playing the game a lot more fun.

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #294 on: December 27, 2012, 08:54:40 PM

On single player, doing the campaign -- am I supposed to be recieving such a thorough ass-beating? I'm getting creamed here (I once tied a game!) by teams with ratings like 300 points higher and full of people who can catch and dodge and crap.

Also, fuck dodge. Fuck those little weasel guys who dodge, every time, like five players. And also complete passes, and catch balls. My guys are doing good to pick it up off the ground.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #295 on: December 27, 2012, 09:52:26 PM

You'll get better.  Seriously, play a live opponent who can give you come advice.  Dodge is less of an issue once you learn how to make your opponent dodge through unfavorable tackle zones.

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #296 on: December 27, 2012, 10:00:19 PM

I finally won one. I'm gonna go reread the blocking stuff now that I have a better feel for the game. There's times that I set up a block thinking I'd have a three-dice advantage and only have one, so I'm missing something.

Also, I totally did not know that the big guys could throw those tiny little suckers. Game was 2-1 (I won! HAHA!) because they tossed a little guy -- the one with the ball -- downfield and I had nobody back to hit him. OTOH, those guys drop the ball easily.

But god, it sucks to see fumble-fumble-fumble, or my personal favorite -- go that extra zone to get the TD and fail that step for a turnover. (it was go for it or get hammered next round, so..not much choice).

Currently just waiting for my league invite to go through.
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #297 on: December 27, 2012, 10:33:02 PM

We shd play tonite ... i'm elf so i dont' bash.

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #298 on: December 28, 2012, 10:54:18 AM

We shd play tonite ... i'm elf so i dont' bash.
If I get approved by then. :)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Blood Bowl Bullshit  |  Topic: Blood bowl resources/questions  
Jump to: