Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:25:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Boardgame Thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 78 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Boardgame Thread  (Read 585228 times)
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #175 on: August 11, 2011, 01:28:18 PM

Or if you just don't like the train theme Airlines Europe is kick ass. 
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #176 on: August 12, 2011, 05:27:14 AM

Thank you guys for the suggestions! :)

Eventually, I'll look up to the ones I haven't seen previously mentioned: tonight or tomorrow we'll try Dominion for the first time, and for now I'll stick with it (damn, this stuff is quite expensive, card or board game :P). Starting from the end of september, I plan to organize a "board/card game evening" at my place with 3 or 4 of my close friends, hopefully it will work out (one already said yes)  :)

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #177 on: August 12, 2011, 05:53:43 AM

I would throw a few of the "interactive" cards in with the first set of Dominion draw piles you set up.  It gets pretty boring with their initial recommended 10. 
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #178 on: August 12, 2011, 06:23:10 AM

Actually, after reading something on the Net (and watching a few youtube videos too), I think we'll randomize the 10 right from the start, I guess we'll learn soon enough if something is particularly unbalanced or not (hopefully we'll both enjoy the game: I've read good things about the first two expansions, Intrigue and Seaside, especially when it comes to an added interaction with the other player/s, so I may purchase them at a later date).

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #179 on: August 12, 2011, 06:36:18 AM

That's how my group did it - I've never tried any of the recommended sets.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #180 on: August 14, 2011, 04:53:44 PM

So, after a "false start" yesterday (we messed up the "c" phase and realized it halfway through, among other things :P), tonight we (that is, me and my GF) played our first game of Dominion and enjoyed it. She brutalized me 47 victory points to 31  Ohhhhh, I see. Heartbreak

Ahem, match lasted around 2h30m...You know, double-checking some card effect, re-reading a couple rules, going very slow...But yeah, quite an interesting and addictive game. If it doesn't get boring after only a few games, I think we'll be definitely inclined to purchase "Intrigue" and "Seaside";  I'm sure there are "power-strategies" out there that you can rush to (but I'm not really interested in reading them), but the randomizing effect of drawing any group of 10 mitigates it somewhat, I guess.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: August 15, 2011, 01:28:13 AM

You've entered into a dark place once you start getting into the deckbuilding genre.  Seems like every other game these days is a deckbuilder.  Btw, if you like MtG and Dominion... definitely try Ascension+expansion.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #182 on: August 15, 2011, 09:52:36 AM

Yeah, I second Ascension, it's in a good middle place between those two.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: August 15, 2011, 10:54:50 AM

Yes, I prefer games where the deck is the same for everyone, I've never been into the trading card crazyness (nor I intend to). I'll have a look at Ascension :)

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #184 on: August 16, 2011, 06:54:03 AM

The LCGs from Fantasy Flight are decent if you're looking for a different kind of card game.  They have three (Game of Thrones, Warhammer Invasion and Call of Cthulhu) and are set to come out with one from Star Wars Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?.  These are decent because it gets rid of the "trading card game" problems.  The cards are standard so you're not buying a shit ton worth of packs or expensive singles.  
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #185 on: August 16, 2011, 09:01:34 AM

LCGs are still customizable.  It's not a system where "everyone has the same deck."  It's just a system where there's no trading/resale/rarity involved.  e.g. when you buy a pack it's the same pack for everyone... but you can still build your own deck.  Typically I've found the cost of entry into LCGs is still pretty high if you really want to get into it, since you cant just buy a starter pack and make an informed opinion on the game.  Also, it's grossly dependent on your local tournament support... otherwise it's pointless to collect.

This is why I preferred deckbuilding games, because you just buy ALL the cards at one time and build the deck as you play. 

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #186 on: August 16, 2011, 09:40:08 AM

LCGs are still customizable.  It's not a system where "everyone has the same deck."  It's just a system where there's no trading/resale/rarity involved.  e.g. when you buy a pack it's the same pack for everyone... but you can still build your own deck.  Typically I've found the cost of entry into LCGs is still pretty high if you really want to get into it, since you cant just buy a starter pack and make an informed opinion on the game.  Also, it's grossly dependent on your local tournament support... otherwise it's pointless to collect.

This is why I preferred deckbuilding games, because you just buy ALL the cards at one time and build the deck as you play. 

Yes, but it does get rid of a lot of the irritation that people have with the collectible card games, i.e. the actual collection procedure and costs.  I have found all the LCGs to be very interesting and playable right out of the initial box.  There's no need to buy anything else, really.  As far as everyone having the exact same cards, I'm not sure that this is necessarily a benefit.  Anyway, I'm just throwing it out there for Lucas in case he's wanting something different than a deck builder. 
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #187 on: August 16, 2011, 10:00:28 AM

Not sayin it's a bad genre, and actually I'd highly recommend W:I if you're interested in getting into it, but dont go in thinking you can just buy a core set and you're done.  The starter is just so you can basically choose a faction you like, then dump more money into said faction.   Ohhhhh, I see.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #188 on: August 16, 2011, 10:09:11 AM

That really depends on how you want to play it.  My wife and I just play back and forth at home and there's no real need to keep up with any sort of competitive play style you might find with a big group.  My personal plan is to get together reasonable decks for all the factions (I bought the Ulduan expansion) so that we can just choose a couple and dive in.  But we're not super competitive about things.  

Edit:  The Lord of the Rings LCG is also a really nice cooperative game that might be up their alley.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #189 on: September 29, 2011, 09:48:19 AM

Mansions of Madness is really fucking fun to play but a beast to set up.  I went out today and bought a "hobby box" with a zillion compartments just so I wouldn't go nuts trying to keep track of all the little counters and stuff.

I stumbled upon this game recently and was intrigued...never was able to get my people into Arkham Horror due to it's complexity and time-sink.  Do you think MoM improves upon these things?  I've read that the setup is indeed 'harsh', but once the game gets started, how's the flow?  What's the quickest game you've played?

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #190 on: September 29, 2011, 09:54:16 AM

I bought Dreadfleet today, the new GW ship combat game. It uses wargame conventions like measuring ranges and so forth but it is self-contained and (so far as I can see) non-expandable. The bits in the box are amazing, the 'board' is a printed cloth mat and the press-to-assemble miniatures are stunning. It's pricey at £70 and it's limited to 70k copies worldwide but it looks to be well-worth shelling out for.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #191 on: September 29, 2011, 10:47:27 AM

If you dont like GW there's also stuff like "Uncharted Seas" (which GW ripped off of) and "Firestorm Armada." 
Also, Battleship:Galaxies has been getting pretty good reviews and is obviously a lot simpler.  (I havent bought it because I just got Star Trek: Fleet Captains).

I've been fighting the minis-wargaming urge the past 8 yrs. or so and am slowly slipping...  must resist

Btw, Malifaux is a pretty appealing game too.  Small skirmish game, card driven, high quality.

JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #192 on: September 29, 2011, 06:41:23 PM

I bought Dreadfleet today, the new GW ship combat game. It uses wargame conventions like measuring ranges and so forth but it is self-contained and (so far as I can see) non-expandable. The bits in the box are amazing, the 'board' is a printed cloth mat and the press-to-assemble miniatures are stunning. It's pricey at £70 and it's limited to 70k copies worldwide but it looks to be well-worth shelling out for.

It is pricey and I'm slightly tempted.  You know, where I'd like to take me time, read some reviews, and pick it up in a few months when I have extra cash during christmas/bonus time. 

Instead, GW is trying to force this rush of demand (same shit they did with Blood Bowl) and I flat out do not have the cash right now to pick it up, so no sale.  And since they're incapable of actually figuring out how to gauge supply and demand, it's sure to sell out long before I have the extra cash to drop on a game, I"m more than likely never going to actually play. 

As for Battleship Galaxies - it is a bit on the simplistic side, but I really enjoyed the test game I played of it.    I think I put up some unboxing pics earlier in the thread.    I definitely want to play more of it at the least, and it screams for some expansions.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #193 on: October 03, 2011, 08:27:26 PM

I am going to come back and read the whole thread later, but I wanted to say that last week we beat Arkham Horror and intend to rectify this via expansion packs.  I drew Jenny on both plays, although on the winning second I started out with the shotgun and didn't get to go shopping even once!

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #194 on: October 04, 2011, 09:25:12 AM

Instead, GW is trying to force this rush of demand (same shit they did with Blood Bowl) and I flat out do not have the cash right now to pick it up, so no sale.  And since they're incapable of actually figuring out how to gauge supply and demand, it's sure to sell out long before I have the extra cash to drop on a game, I"m more than likely never going to actually play. 

Just wait for a couple of years and pick it up for $350 on Ebay.   why so serious?
schild
Administrator

Reply #195 on: October 04, 2011, 09:57:43 AM

I have a standing rule that I don't buy games anymore without pre-painted miniatures, or painted ones easily available (like City of Thieves).
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #196 on: October 04, 2011, 02:00:41 PM

I don't mind the painting so much as putting shit together.  If Games Workshop stuff was better (fucking finecast) or metal was less irritating to deal with I might do more of the putting together aspect. 
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #197 on: October 06, 2011, 07:33:45 PM

So I have purchased A Touch of Evil and Fortune and Glory:  The Cliffhanger Game, both by Flying Frog Productions and I have to say that the quality of the production is high class.  I'm very impressed.  I can't wait to play them, although it may be a while until I can get a ply worked in. 
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #198 on: October 07, 2011, 12:26:14 AM

I don't mind the painting so much as putting shit together.  If Games Workshop stuff was better (fucking finecast) or metal was less irritating to deal with I might do more of the putting together aspect. 

The ships in the box are press together. Most are in three parts, some of the bigger ones are in about 5 or 6.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #199 on: October 09, 2011, 11:32:18 PM

I got my copy of the Gears of War boardgame this weekend. It's very nice. The mins are super detailed, and the general quality of the game is high.
I haven't been able to play with others, but I did the solo rules a couple of times. It's a lot like the latest D&D games where enemies follow scripts on cards, so it's co-op versus the "AI".
I reccomend it.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #200 on: October 11, 2011, 12:47:32 PM

The Dice Tower raped GOW on the review, so I was a little hesitant to purchase it.  I would be interested in hearing how your plays have gone.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #201 on: October 11, 2011, 04:31:16 PM

I played Battlestations at a gaming con this last weekend and enjoyed it so much I just ordered a copy off Amazon.  It occupies the same sort of gray area between boardgame and RPG that Arkham Horror does, so I figure it goes in this thread.

It's a tactical space combat game where each player controls a crew member on a ship, and you have to run around manning different stations to keep things running.  The ship layouts are assembled out of modular board pieces, so different scenarios will call for ships of different sizes with different capabilities.  When I played at the con it took us about four hours to go through one combat, but most of us were new to the game and the guy running it by all appearances had ADD, so I think with a group of normal human beings who had played it before it'd have been about half that.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #202 on: October 11, 2011, 05:25:19 PM

I put out the request to my wife tonight that for my birthday next month, I want to bring the family (parents, bro and his wife) together for a game of 7 Wonders.  Wife says I ask the impossible, since all of them have never played anything outside of the double-digit IQ-level games like Life, Monopoly and Uno.  

Challenge accepted  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 05:29:47 PM by luckton »

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #203 on: October 11, 2011, 05:57:00 PM

The Dice Tower raped GOW on the review, so I was a little hesitant to purchase it.  I would be interested in hearing how your plays have gone.

Hm. I watched the Dice Tower review. I don't agree with his complaint about the cards as health mechanic. I think it's a great abstraction if you can get away from the "Hit Points = Health" schtick, and view it as pushing your character until he's open to a burst from the bad guys and gets put down.
I think his other complaints are vaild, but I like that in the game personally. In my games, I usually have died because I pushed too far and wasn't in cover, while a Boomer put 6 hits into my dumb ass.
Unlike the DT reviewer, I'm eager to play more and see if I can get better at the game.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #204 on: October 12, 2011, 05:22:41 AM

I put out the request to my wife tonight that for my birthday next month,

Started so well.....

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #205 on: October 20, 2011, 09:20:03 AM

I played Battlestations at a gaming con this last weekend and enjoyed it so much I just ordered a copy off Amazon.  It occupies the same sort of gray area between boardgame and RPG that Arkham Horror does, so I figure it goes in this thread.

It's a tactical space combat game where each player controls a crew member on a ship, and you have to run around manning different stations to keep things running.  The ship layouts are assembled out of modular board pieces, so different scenarios will call for ships of different sizes with different capabilities.  When I played at the con it took us about four hours to go through one combat, but most of us were new to the game and the guy running it by all appearances had ADD, so I think with a group of normal human beings who had played it before it'd have been about half that.

I have BS plus the 1st two xpacs.  It's a game that's screaming for a re-design since either as a boardgame or RPG the rules are just too fiddly...  more fiddly than even Descent (which is being redesigned and re-released btw).  So basically, it's one of those games you have to have experienced players devoted to the game to play with.  Definitely more on the RPG end than boardgame.

I actually started a project to somewhat redesign the game; upgrading the components and making it semi card-driven ala WFRP3e.  Was actually going pretty well until life intervened.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #206 on: October 25, 2011, 09:22:53 AM

I like Battlestations.  It's not all that fiddly, and there are lots of options.  Lots of replayability.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #207 on: October 26, 2011, 08:12:20 AM

I bought the wife The Hobbit for her birthday and we finally played it last night.  I have to say that it's a nice, short game that is going to be family oriented.  I wonder about the replayability though as there's really only enough cards to get you where you need to go.  It would have been nice to have some extras of the event and adventure cards for variability.  Overall I was fairly impressed.  
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #208 on: November 03, 2011, 04:49:08 PM

Got my 2011 reprint copy of Twilight Struggle in the mail last week.  Read through the rules and cards, and the game seems pretty bad ass.  I can't wait to get some games in with friends.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #209 on: November 03, 2011, 06:25:32 PM

That's the same version I have, it is very nice.   Played it twice only, but it seems pretty fun so far.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 78 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Boardgame Thread  
Jump to: