Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:13:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Boardgame Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 78 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Boardgame Thread  (Read 585232 times)
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #140 on: March 18, 2011, 10:33:31 PM

Mansions of Madness is really fucking fun to play but a beast to set up.  I went out today and bought a "hobby box" with a zillion compartments just so I wouldn't go nuts trying to keep track of all the little counters and stuff.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #141 on: March 18, 2011, 10:40:15 PM

I'm very intrigued by the Mansions of Madness game.  Question though:  It says that it has several pre-made scenarios you pick to play through.  Does that mean once you try one, its sort of ruined if you try to play it again?  As in, you know what to expect and (if you beat it last time) how to win?  Or is it still randomized heavily?  I really have no idea how the rules work or how you setup a game.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #142 on: March 19, 2011, 12:35:53 AM

There are something like five scenarios, and each one has a handful of variations that the GM can switch between to alter where the important clues are and what the win conditions are, so that even if the players know the scenario inside and out they'll still have to guess which of the possible variations the GM decided to run.  The scenario I ran had three choices I had to make in setting it up, with two or three options each, so in theory that scenario could play out a dozen different ways.  You get the idea.

There's also a lot of potential to use what's in the box to come up with your own scenarios.  From what I've seen so far the core system seems very robust.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 12:38:23 AM by Samwise »

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: May 16, 2011, 12:24:18 PM

SOOOO....

I now have a copy of Heroes Quest, Munchkin Quest, Wow Board game, and Outdoor wilderness survival. Each Board-game night has been a blast.

+1 to me!

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: May 16, 2011, 12:35:02 PM

Just got back from a big gaming shindig played a lot of games there. One I had not played before that was very amusing was Alhambra one of my friends had the big box of Alhambra set which is the main game and all expansions and we played that a bunch its pretty fast and amusing.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: May 16, 2011, 02:06:53 PM

Before leaving for work I got to play "Merchants and Marauders" and man, gotta be the best pirate boardgame ever made and likely one of the overall best in my collection.  Helluva lot of fun and well worth the relatively cheap price of it.  It's essentially a eurogame/ameritrash hybrid, like so many newer games these days.  Excellent value.  And it's easily the most requested boardgame for trade that I have.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: May 17, 2011, 06:59:57 AM

Looked it up, that does sound fun.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #147 on: May 18, 2011, 08:32:17 AM

Looked it up, that does sound fun.

Honestly, I truly believed the game was gonna suck hard.  I mean really?  If I wanted a resource-gathery pirate rpg, I'd just fire up PotBS for free.
Only reason I played is 'cause my brother couldnt resist the game, so I begrudgingly sat down.  Well wtf, it was a helluva lot of fun.  I died early on after being hunted by a pirate frigate and pissing off the navy... but came back with the force with a better captain and a more refined strategy.  The gold was flowing into my hold, my brother got panicky, and started raiding haphazardly, only to get spawncamped by an aggroed Navy man-o-war.  Took my bro. apart in 1 turn.  OH THE TEARS!    Imagine developing a captain, building up your ship, filling your hold with gold (that if you dont stash at home you lose) perhaps a fleet, etc... only to get blown out of the water.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?   Sux when it happens to you, but it IS possible to make a comeback oddly enough.

Main gripe?  There's so much to do in port that downtime is very very bad.  Variations include porting actions on someone elses turn.

addendum:
If anyone is in the D.C. area, there's a pretty popular gamenight called "DCGameNight"   Ohhhhh, I see.
They typically game in various bars, cafes, or shops downtown.  Find em on FB...  seems less neckbeardy and more swank than usual.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: May 20, 2011, 10:15:53 AM

So I played "7 Wonders" last night and it didnt disappoint.  Explains why the game is tough to get right now.
Pretty much a victory point based empire-builder game using cards, only turns are simultaneous so there's no downtime.  There's an interesting "rummy" element in that you're only allowed to keep 1 card per turn even though you're given 7 or less.  The cards you dont keep are passed to your neighbor (to the left and right alternating).
Game lasted about an hour but mentally felt like 4.  Many many layers of strat. and tactics and plenty of seedy pvp, but a simple game to learn.

Also played "Ascension."  Liked it, but Thunderstone is better.  Great pickup style game though.

stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: June 24, 2011, 12:44:15 AM

I haven't really played any board games since I was a kid, with the old Strat-O-Matic baseball sessions during long winter nights.

I was poking around and did see this though, due in four weeks:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/prod/ikusa

Looks good, although I know little about Japanese history. Play as a warlord in feudal Japan- how cool is that? I'll maybe pick it up if i can get some friends excited enough.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #150 on: June 24, 2011, 06:09:17 AM

Pretty sure that is the old Shogun game, which then got the utterly awesome renaming in to "Samurai Swords" swamp poop. Apperently they've renamed it again?

It was a half decent 1st ed Axis and Allies era war game. Not my favorite of the bunch though - with more than three players, the layout of the map tended to limit how many opponents you could actually interact with. If you got stuck on one end of Japan and the guy on the other end played poorly, you could actually lose the game to someone you never actually met in battle.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #151 on: July 01, 2011, 05:44:48 PM

I just ordered the Game of Thrones card game and some M:TG cards.  I haven't played M:TG in a long time, so it should be interesting.   awesome, for real
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #152 on: July 01, 2011, 09:22:55 PM

My daughter and I have been playing the Ravenloft board game, as well as the newish one called Wrath of Ashardlon. She tends to pick PCs like you would expect a kid to pick. She just chooses the coolest looking girl. Once she learned that having a wizard rush a monster spelled death, she began to get the hang of tactics.

Solid fun for the two of us. I am hoping that when her mom works out her work schedule, we can get an actual D&D game going.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #153 on: July 05, 2011, 08:08:44 PM

Finally got around to playing Ticket to Ride with the wife.  It's a good little game that won't blow through an entire evening and is pretty light fare.  And the subject matter won't scare away those types that might be scared away from "gaming" easily.  I definitely recommend it. 
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #154 on: July 12, 2011, 05:22:55 PM

I have also bought Dominion and it's multitude of expansions and several other card games.  I purchased some card sleeves to go over the cards and am trying to decide if it's even worth it at this point.  The sleeves make the games not fit in their trays and are a real bear to actually game with, not to mention being fairly expensive.  You can get the Mayday ones for 3.50 or so for 100, but the FF ones run 5 plus per 50. 
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #155 on: July 12, 2011, 06:09:43 PM

Finally got the chance to play Battleship Galaxies - there's actually some strategy and tactics to it, the ships and cards look good, and rolling the dice for coordinates is pretty damn fun.     Once we got over the learning curve, it moves along really nicely.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #156 on: July 13, 2011, 09:42:00 AM

I have also bought Dominion and it's multitude of expansions and several other card games.  I purchased some card sleeves to go over the cards and am trying to decide if it's even worth it at this point.  The sleeves make the games not fit in their trays and are a real bear to actually game with, not to mention being fairly expensive.  You can get the Mayday ones for 3.50 or so for 100, but the FF ones run 5 plus per 50. 

Yes, sleeving them is a pain in the ass, but totally worth it if you play it a lot. I still have nightmares about the weird mank that built up on our Settlers cards over the years. I'm pretty sure it was an even mix of dirt, grease, and skin cells. It was thick enough to scrape off with you fingernails.

We keep Dominion in a standard ccg card box rather than the original game box, as you really don't need the rules once you memorize the starting card counts.

Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #157 on: July 13, 2011, 09:50:13 AM

I'm always surprised how many people can find groups for this stuff.  I need to move the fuck out of the bible belt capital.
ffc
Terracotta Army

Reply #158 on: July 13, 2011, 12:02:18 PM

I have grown to hate Dominion.  Fun at first and it works well but it's just not for me.  It's a perfect storm of boring downtime while a player goes through +100 actions, hoping nobody draws cards that further increase downtime, not having a way to directly affect a particular player, and only occasionally having to change a decision based on what someone else drew. I prefer games with hidden objectives / information, no downtime (simultaneous turns!) and a way to bash somebody while keeping them in the running to win.  Basically the opposite of Dominion.

(Edit)  Might as well add one of my favorite games for contrast:  Vineta.  Handles up to 6, simultaneous turns, the board changes as people's island pieces and villagers are destroyed, hidden information, chaotic and trying to predict what other players will do while usually failing.  Hardest part is learning what the pictures on the cards do but it gets easier with time and player sheets.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 12:14:39 PM by ffc »
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #159 on: July 13, 2011, 02:17:37 PM

I'm always surprised how many people can find groups for this stuff.  I need to move the fuck out of the bible belt capital.

ZombieSigne

Can get RL groups eager for board game play, but except for very few, most shun these sorts of games (even Catan), preferring more the "Apples to Apples" or Trivial Pursuit variety of board game. Scrabble or backgammon is about the most strategic these folks will get.

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #160 on: July 24, 2011, 12:05:00 PM

Sweet.  I just won a new copy of Twilight Struggle on Ebay for 93 bucks with shipping.  The last two went for well over $100.   awesome, for real
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #161 on: July 24, 2011, 04:36:06 PM

Just got Conquest of Nerath the other day (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/drdd/20110615).  I had previously got Dominion but couldn't get into a game strictly based around cards.  Conquest of Nerath is like a slightly more in-depth fantasy Risk and it scratches the "watch your armies spread across the land" itch I had.  There is a progression component (think teching up like in Civ) that consists of Treasure cards which are gained by dungeon delving and destroying difficult and classic DnD monsters.  There is also a random element that consists of personal cards for each faction with different powers that can be played at different times.  Each faction also collects a base income modified by additional territories accumulated.  Then of course there are all the different unit types and a simple dice driven combat system (I like that it comes with so many 6/8/10/12/20 sided dice.  All in all, a great game.  I got it on Amazon for $50 which I consider a great price considering it comes with hundreds of minis, hundreds of cardboard tokens, scores of cards, and a nice board.  The icing on the cake is that it works well with anywhere from 2-4 players.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 04:38:12 PM by dusematic »
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #162 on: July 25, 2011, 11:25:49 AM

How is this for a 10 year old boy who like Catan/Risk/Heroscape?

I have never played WoW.
avaia
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: July 26, 2011, 12:36:40 PM

Sweet.  I just won a new copy of Twilight Struggle on Ebay for 93 bucks with shipping.  The last two went for well over $100.   awesome, for real

Well worth the price, especially if it is the deluxe edition.  Fantastic game.
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #164 on: July 26, 2011, 12:48:01 PM

How is this for a 10 year old boy who like Catan/Risk/Heroscape?

It says 12 and up.  If he likes Risk, Catan, and HeroScape, this game should be fine.  The combat system is rather elegant.  You need a to roll a 6 to score a hit.  Different combatants roll different dice, i.e., 6/8/10/12/20.  I find the game offers enough depth to be engaging to me as an adult in his late 20s without mentally taxing me to the extent that it becomes an arduous chore to learn the rules/navigate turns.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 01:07:24 PM by dusematic »
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #165 on: July 26, 2011, 03:46:03 PM

Seconded.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #166 on: July 27, 2011, 07:03:00 AM

Seconded.

I just picked up Labyrinth yesterday at my FLGS (also OOP evidently).  Same designer and system, only more tweaked and set post 9-11-01.  Btw, the guy who designs these games actually lives in D.C. and trains analysts for the CIA.  He's a hardcore GOP warhawk evidently.  His next game will be focused on post-FARC Colombia with some drug smuggling thrown in.

Btw, if you're into solitaire type games (I believe these can be played Solo) I highly recommend the printNplay game "Dungeon of D."  It's free and a lotta fun.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #167 on: July 27, 2011, 01:34:00 PM

My wife is probably going to find out where Bloodworth lives and kick his ass for starting this thread.  I've spent waaay too much money lately on board games/card games. 

I also found a new copy of 7 Ages today at a local game store, and you can't even find it on Ebay or Amazon at all.  That was a pretty sweet score for a kick ass (albeit very long) game.  I also now own all the Arkham Asylum expansions.    Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #168 on: July 28, 2011, 09:58:21 PM

If you have Le Havre and are wondering how it works:  Linky.

I found this game to be a little difficult to deal with only with the instructions.  This helped some.  Good game. 
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #169 on: August 03, 2011, 07:48:53 AM

It appears as if Fantasy Flight has gotten the Star Wars license and will be publishing a couple of games, including a card game

The Star Wars nerd in me thinks that this will be really fucking awesome, but I've been a little disappointed with some of Fantasy Flight's efforts.  Sure, some of their stuff is excellent, but I am expecting a rehash of Game of Thrones LCG and I'm sure they'll put out some kind of War of the Ring or Twilight Imperium knockoff.  That would be fine if I didn't already own those games.

I'm sure I'll buy whatever they put out regardless, because I'm just that weak minded.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #170 on: August 11, 2011, 06:57:37 AM

So, I decided to get back into board/card (not TCG) games after reading this thread.

Spefically, I'm also trying to involve my girlfriend (and eventually, I hope, two or three of our friends), who is a total neophyte, so I don't know if I'm going to succeed  Ohhhhh, I see.
---

Regarding the card game, I opted for Dominion (and purchased it) which, from what I gather, is fun enough to play between 2 players as well; I'm still uncertain about the board game (one of the following):

- Talisman: I played it A LOT during my youth, and enjoyed it greatly;
- Small World: looks fun and simple, the guy at the store quickly showed me the rules (he had an unboxed copy at the store, where they hold a lot of different tournaments both of card and board games) ;
- DungeonQuest

They are all "entry level" games, relatively easy learning curve, should not be a bore to set-up and quick to grasp the rules.

- While in the store, I also noticed two games that look interesting for a novice: Dungeon Lords (basically a "Dungeon Keeper" boardgame) and Cave Troll...Can you tell me more of these two?

While I'm sure they have very good gameplay, for now I would like to avoid economy/resource management games, like Puerto Rico and suchlike, also because they are more complex.

Carcassone, Ticket to Ride, Catan...Don't really like the settings of those, even though they're quite popular.

Then, of course, Arkham Horror, which looks fantastic, but first I would like to gather a larger group for it :/

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #171 on: August 11, 2011, 10:06:23 AM

Spefically, I'm also trying to involve my girlfriend (and eventually, I hope, two or three of our friends), who is a total neophyte, so I don't know if I'm going to succeed  Ohhhhh, I see.

While I'm sure they have very good gameplay, for now I would like to avoid economy/resource management games, like Puerto Rico and suchlike, also because they are more complex.

Carcassone, Ticket to Ride, Catan...Don't really like the settings of those, even though they're quite popular.

Games like Carcassone, TtR, and Catan are actually really good options for introducing newbies in to the current board game world, before melting their brains with games like Puerto Rico or Agricola. Dominion was also a great choice.
I really enjoy both Small World and Talisman, but they are very "nerdcore" type games with the fantasy setting, and can be a turnoff for friends that aren't in to nerd culture. Really though, we hardly play them in comparison to the more Euro style games - the Euro games are just so much more about strategy.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #172 on: August 11, 2011, 10:25:47 AM

If you're going to introduce your gf, I'd suggest a Eurogame for sure.  For some reason, most women LOVE the empirebuilder/resource management games.  Anything where they make/lose money, shop, and build things.   I'd recommend the game "Asara" (a tower building game) for this, though as most eurogames they play better with more people.  Fidgety ameritrash games, though fun for the hobbiest, usually are turnoffs for sophomoric gamers.

Dungeon Lords and Cave Troll??  Cave Troll has gotten better reviews than dungeon lords.  I've read that DL has some issues.  CaveTroll is a game in the same vein as munchkin, and very simplistic.  Definitely an acquired taste and definitely need more than 2 people I believe.

I can recommend DungeonQuest though for a beginning gamer, but again... it's more american-style.  Kinda theme-parkish and random.

For you and your gf, if you dont mind coop I'd suggest the new LotR card game.  It's actually a eurostyle resourcey quasi-deckbuilding dungeonrunner and not hard to learn.
Tbh, it's tough to play 2-player pvp games w/o gettingi into wargame territory (battleship:galaxies?).  Just the nature of the beast.  SummonerWars is a helluva great step in this regards; not too wargamey.

Other suggestions?  "Dominant Species" is a must for any collection.   Period.  End of story.  And women/new players love it. 
And in place of Dominion I'd get Thunderstone+all expansions.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #173 on: August 11, 2011, 01:11:52 PM

Ticket to Ride is really a pretty cool game.  It's probably not what you're expecting, if you don't know much about it, and is going to be a nice light game to start with.  All of the deck building games feel pretty similar to me, and Thunderstone is pretty fun, although I don't know if I'd rush to trade it for Dominion if you've already got Dominion.  Le Havre is thought of as a thick game, but I think it is easier to grasp than Agricola.  It's not a bad choice.  Camelot Legends is fun, if you want a card game that isn't a deck builder but is a bit different.  My wife likes it because she's into the whole Arthurian Legends deal.  Don't rule out Arkham.  It's realy fun even with two-  but you'll get pasted a lot.  I would echo the recommendation of Dominant Species.  All of the LCGs from FF are pretty good.  Lost Cities and the Lost Cities Boardgame are also decent intro games. 
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #174 on: August 11, 2011, 01:18:43 PM

Agricola is definitely a bad choice as an intro game for sure because it really lacks a lot of the interaction that the other games mentioned have, and interacting with the people you're playing with is pretty key to getting someone new interested. Dungeon Lords is a little on the complex side for a first fix too.

Cast my vote for Small World or Carcassonne as the intro games that will get the best traction with new players, TTR is good too if you think the medieval and/or fantasy stuff will turn someone off initially.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 78 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Boardgame Thread  
Jump to: