Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:00:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Boardgame Thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 78 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Boardgame Thread  (Read 585487 times)
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: January 28, 2011, 11:38:56 AM

Power Grid

Is there anywhere online you can play this? Trying to figure out all the rules with no one to confirm or explain details it's kinda hard to get going.
avaia
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: January 28, 2011, 12:14:10 PM

Power Grid

Is there anywhere online you can play this? Trying to figure out all the rules with no one to confirm or explain details it's kinda hard to get going.

http://www.brettspielwelt.de/ - it may be listed as Funkenschlag, though.

Play goes pretty damn quick in most games, but make it clear you are learning and someone will likely help out.

Also check out http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Power_Grid_FAQ
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #107 on: January 28, 2011, 12:18:25 PM

One of those games that is worth finding a youtube vid of how to play - the instructions were written by the guy's dog.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
avaia
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: January 28, 2011, 12:28:25 PM

I didn't think the rules were that bad, but I just use the player aids instead.  It's handy when everyone has their own summary of the rules for reference, and helps teaching as well.

Something like http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/32681/power-grid-players-aid-set-up-guide
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: January 28, 2011, 02:29:10 PM

Thanks everyone, now I don't feel like a complete idiot trying to play it!
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #110 on: January 28, 2011, 06:52:40 PM

I have no idea why I continue to follow this thread - it just makes me sad due to a lack of tabletop gaming due to not having my gaming buddies within commuting distance.  embarassed

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #111 on: January 28, 2011, 09:54:23 PM

No shit.  I'm glad my wife will deign to play games with me. 
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: January 29, 2011, 08:11:45 PM

I have no idea why I continue to follow this thread - it just makes me sad due to a lack of tabletop gaming due to not having my gaming buddies within commuting distance.  embarassed

I had the same problem until I just nutted up and setup an organized weekly game night.  People started coming out of the workworks once they knew I had one, even folk who have no business in hobby gaming.  FB helps a lot also; I just formed a private game group with prospective invitees and handle RSVPs/invites from there.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #113 on: January 29, 2011, 08:12:40 PM

It isn't quite the same, but there is always http://www.brettspielwelt.de.  I play there with a number of friends, and they have an excellent selection of boardgames to play online.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: January 29, 2011, 09:23:36 PM

Anyone ever play the Battlestar Galactica game? http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/37111/battlestar-galactica  The idea of one player being the Cylon and everyone else trying to weed them out could be a lot of fun.

In that same line of thought one of our favorite games to play is http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/438/scotland-yard one player is Mr. X moving around the board and everyone else is a detective trying to catch them.  awesome, for real

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #115 on: January 29, 2011, 09:40:25 PM

Anyone ever play the Battlestar Galactica game?

The mechanics are not good, but otherwise it is a very fun game if you have the people and the time to play it.  Games can be longish, but not Republic of Rome long, and it can be too easy for the Cylons to win.  They got the atmosphere right though, and things can get pretty competitive.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #116 on: January 29, 2011, 11:24:04 PM

Played it once and enjoyed it - I like Shadows over Camelot better for "coop game with traitor" but you could definitely do worse than BSG.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #117 on: January 30, 2011, 01:38:38 AM

I've heard a lot of great things about the BSG game.  Haven't tried it yet, but want to.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Vaiti
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: January 30, 2011, 07:31:21 AM

We have the BSG game and all it's expansion, new expansion just very recently came out and we got it last night, gave it a try, and the game just got even better. Far better than the last expansion. I don't 100% agree with it being too easy for the cylons to win comment, but we play ALOT of BSG, so we are pretty experienced players, so bias.

The BSG game is all about politics and player interaction basically, and it makes for some really really cool group gameplay. Constantly on your toes not sure who is a cylon, it captures that perfectly.

EvE: Caern Robillard | Cua D'Mon
Steam Profile
Vaiti
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: February 13, 2011, 10:04:07 AM

I've been eyeballing a game called Imperial for awhile at one of our local shops. From what I've gathered this game was in development for decades before it was finially commercially released. It's a german style game where all players are in the game and can win/lose make other lose even if they don't win, till the very end. It sounds like alot of fun and something that will improve over a night of drinking. However I'd like some first hand feedback from anyone who has actually played it. Is it as much fun as it sounds or is it just boring?

Steam Profile
avaia
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: February 14, 2011, 09:39:12 AM

Imperial is full of cockery, it's a great game.  It's a wargame of sorts (questionable), with a nice economic wrapper that really works well.  There are many ways to fuck people over in this game, I loves it.
avaia
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: February 14, 2011, 09:43:24 AM

Time to pimp VASSAL for trying out games before you buy, or for when you don't have anyone avaialable for f2f gaming.  Excellent piece of software.

No Imperial module, sorry - guessing they don't have the rondel mechanism in place.

http://www.vassalengine.org/index.php
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: February 14, 2011, 09:58:44 AM

Played it once and enjoyed it - I like Shadows over Camelot better for "coop game with traitor" but you could definitely do worse than BSG.

Shadows Over Camelot is awesome.

Actually, most the games from the company that makes it I have played are pretty good.

For card games that are fun and easy not mentioned, Guillotine is a good one.

Game I hate that everyone I know loves: RA.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Vaiti
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: February 15, 2011, 07:30:00 AM

Imperial is full of cockery, it's a great game.  It's a wargame of sorts (questionable), with a nice economic wrapper that really works well.  There are many ways to fuck people over in this game, I loves it.

Thanks, that is basically the kind of confirmation I was looking for. Buying it this week and testing it out this weekend.

Steam Profile
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: February 15, 2011, 08:17:44 AM

Anyone played Le Havre?  I've been thinking about trading up for it.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
schild
Administrator

Reply #125 on: February 19, 2011, 10:28:45 AM

Game of Thrones as an LCG is decent.

Picked up Sirlin's Yomi last night. I don't like the guy, he's an amazing jackass, but the game seems decent and fast enough.

I've started surrounding myself with card games, just because.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: February 19, 2011, 07:37:20 PM

Did you buy the entire set?   swamp poop
I couldnt bring myself to pony up for the entire thing, and I couldnt justify only buying a few decks.  Quite a quandary.

schild
Administrator

Reply #127 on: February 20, 2011, 12:54:48 AM

Had to buy the whole set, the couple decks @ $25 just seemed stupid.
avaia
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: February 21, 2011, 02:12:56 PM

http://boardgameexchange.crystalcommerce.com/

Netflix-ish for boardgames.  Would work out well for a group, I would think.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: February 22, 2011, 11:11:58 AM

What they have Heros quest?  ACK!

Hows this sustainable?  ACK!

At only $26.99 per month for 12 months, The gold subscription

Now I know.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 11:14:54 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Vaiti
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: February 22, 2011, 11:49:07 AM

Not actually a bad idea for a service. Tho pricing needs some work. 50-60€/$ for the first month then lower costs per month after could work out well. Maybe as low as 5€/$ or so. Just enough to cover shipping plus some.

That way if someone keeps your 30-60€/$ game after the first month you aren't losing out and still make most of the time.

Steam Profile
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: February 22, 2011, 01:22:00 PM

You're still better off taking the same amount of dollars and building your own personal collection, then using BGG to trade/sell/buy.  The only issue I have with BGG is typically games only move if they're the "new kid on the block" or are some kind of collectible.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #132 on: March 08, 2011, 08:15:28 AM

I picked up Arkham Horror when I traded in my magic cards for paints, had some leftover credit and like that you can play solo or with a big group (for library gaming nights).

Like you guys said, lots of fiddly bits, but I guess I like that - I always played lots of games with counters when I was a kid (even developed a couple...and discovered a couple of the counters in a bits box I had in storage, I'll have to upload them). I like all the cards and of course the subject matter is dear to me.

Game is way too big for the coffee table, but luckily the cat was passed out in front of the fire and uninterested in eating fiddly bits. Played several turns trying to absorb the rules before I had to go to bed. Seems like a pretty cool game, though. Haven't board gamed in forever!
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: March 09, 2011, 08:30:46 AM

Was thinking Mansions of Madness.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: March 13, 2011, 12:38:35 PM

Broke down and bought a copy of hero's quest off eBay. Now for some expansions.

Advanced hero's quest looks hot too.

EDIT: This should keep me going for a while as far as quests http://www.heroscribe.org/
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 04:59:23 PM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: March 13, 2011, 02:49:11 PM

Anyone played Le Havre?  I've been thinking about trading up for it.

Yeah, I'm a bit late.

Played Le Havre a couple times.  It's somewhat Agricola-ish in that stuff piles up until you take it, but it doesn't have as much "i'm screwed because someone took the sheep" that Agricola does.  I'd compare it more to a simplified Caylus, not nearly as much calculus required.  It's decent but falls short of great imo.

Why don't you try our other games?
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #136 on: March 14, 2011, 09:06:33 AM

I ordered a copy of Mansions of Madness off Amazon.  I'm stoked.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: March 14, 2011, 06:11:37 PM

I ordered a copy of Mansions of Madness off Amazon.  I'm stoked.

Careful though.  Supposedly some warped boards and they've already had to disseminate a FAQ/errata.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #138 on: March 14, 2011, 11:35:05 PM

My box had an errata note and some reprinted cards included, so it looks like I got the patched version.   awesome, for real

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: March 18, 2011, 09:15:16 PM

If anyone is looking for something not too deep to maybe play with some mostly non-gamers or just something quick and fun that doesn't require too much brain twisting, I can fairly highly recommend 7 Wonders.

It's deep enough to require some strategy but there's enough luck in there that everyone has a chance.

Why don't you try our other games?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 78 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Boardgame Thread  
Jump to: