Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:22:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Boardgame Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Boardgame Thread  (Read 585237 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #2625 on: March 29, 2018, 11:00:47 AM

Thanks for the tip, I didn't know they had Container on offer.  Stupid rare on eBay, designer is dead, yadda yadda.

Container is a curious game with some fans, but it's one for those who like economic games (that is, games about a player driven economy).

The Jumbo edition looks crap and to be made by fuckwits, but the game is otherwise OOP (but not hard to PNP).

so torn
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #2626 on: March 29, 2018, 12:20:05 PM

If you liked Gallerist enough to pick up CO2, you'll probably like Vinhos and Lisboa as well. Lacerda is a designer with a fair amount of affinity between his designs. Of those, I think I probably liked Lisboa the most, but it comes with a high learning curve caveat. It's not so much that the game itself is complex (though it is on the heavier side), it's that there's a lot of not necessarily clear iconography. Where most games come with a little reference card, this comes with a small book for each player, and you'll be referring to it a lot. This really bogged our play down quite a bit.

As for the rest, other people have talked about Container, I own Virus but haven't been motivated to get it to the table, which is probably telling, and Historia is sort of an interesting abstracted civilization builder, but nothing terribly special. I certainly wouldn't recommend it over the Lacerda stuff.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #2627 on: March 29, 2018, 02:48:13 PM

Thanks for the tip, I didn't know they had Container on offer.  Stupid rare on eBay, designer is dead, yadda yadda.

Lisboa and Gallerist seem good.  Container is a well esteemed economic sim.

It is well esteemed, but I would suggest try before you buy. It's a particular flavour. Even among those who like that type of game it bounces off some (I'm eh about it).
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2628 on: April 02, 2018, 12:51:22 AM

The new Fireball Island Kickstarter is here on Tuesday April 3rd!  Some dev diaries and pictures of the final board are at www.restorationgames.com.  If your heart doesn’t warm to this, you are likely some sort of crotchety Internet goth...oh.  Well, people here should check it out anyway!

My only reliable board game partner is my just-turned 5 year old- we play Labyrinth and Ghost Fighting Treasure Hunters on a regular basis.  Rising Sun is probably a bit too advanced, so it will sit on the shelf at least a year or two.

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #2629 on: April 02, 2018, 05:51:45 AM

Lol, oh man, thats going to have my pledge no matter what they ask.  God damnit....

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #2630 on: April 15, 2018, 02:16:36 AM

I finished Pandemic Legacy Season 2 tonight (at 1:20 AM).  My final evaluation, a fun game, but a far cry shy of Season 1.

My biggest complaint surrounds the end game and the possibility that you can just lose because of random chance.  There is a couple spots in the game where you just need to draw the right cards, and you can tailor the deck to maximize the percentage of the deck that you want to draw... but in the end, even if you set yourself up for the best chance at success, you can get unlucky and never have a chance to compete.  Just as an optimal Magic Deck can get mana screwed, my group just lost out in the end of the game because the wrong cards came up in our draws.  No amount of skill or planning would have saved us.  That doesn't sit well in such a lengthy game experience.

Regardless, I enjoyed the experience more than Seafall, and would recommend it to people that have played Season 1... but it will be a bit of a let
down compared to the first season.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2631 on: April 16, 2018, 08:24:39 AM

Hmmm, you'd have to either get *really* unlucky, or just didn't spot the thing you were going to need lots of and the abilities you have to make them available.

You have much greater agency in avoiding that issue than in, for example, Pandemic Legacy Season 1. If I'd had Bravo team 'help out' and wreck my score in season 1 that would have annoyed me more than if we'd ran out of things in Season 2.

But you do have to play it like a group of gamers trying to break a system - not like a group of medics trying to save the world. Which is good and bad according to taste.

I agree season 1 is a better design.

But despite that I enjoyed season 2 more.

Season 1 was more of a theme park ride. Season 2 is much more emergent - and can be better if you get a good run and are playing with gamers who won't glaze over when you discuss delaying a win to build more roads - or working through the consequences of milling a deck this turn vs next turn.

Everyone should play both of them.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 08:33:03 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #2632 on: April 16, 2018, 10:17:20 AM

Hmmm, you'd have to either get *really* unlucky, or just didn't spot the thing you were going to need lots of and the abilities you have to make them available.
We were not 100% perfect in this regard, but we were very good.  We were just unlucky.  
You have much greater agency in avoiding that issue than in, for example, Pandemic Legacy Season 1. If I'd had Bravo team 'help out' and wreck my score in season 1 that would have annoyed me more than if we'd ran out of things in Season 2.  
If I felt like we blew it, I'd feel the same.  I feel like the mechanic here still opens the door to a decent number of people just not having a chance regardless of how well they prepared - not the majority, but enough people.  
...Season 1 was more of a theme park ride. Season 2 is much more emergent - and can be better if you get a good run and are playing with gamers who won't glaze over when you discuss delaying a win to build more roads - or working through the consequences of milling a deck this turn vs next turn.

Everyone should play both of them.
I agree both are really worth playing, but the end of Season 2 disappointed me.  

I would rather the end mechanic was not one that relied upon something that could be denied to you entirely based upon chance, regardless of how well you prepared.  
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 10:56:36 AM by jgsugden »

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2633 on: April 23, 2018, 12:38:47 PM

Amazon US is having a boardgame sale today (April 23).

Edit: cleaner URL (don't need to be logged in)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 12:48:33 PM by Trippy »
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #2634 on: April 23, 2018, 03:24:14 PM

Amazon US is having a boardgame sale today (April 23).

Edit: cleaner URL (don't need to be logged in)

Good games in there: Kingdomino, Mysterium, Carcassonne, King of Tokyo, 7 Wonders...

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2635 on: May 01, 2018, 11:20:22 AM

FFG just announced Xwing second edition.

If the detail is as well thought out as the headlines they are going to end up with much of my money.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #2636 on: May 01, 2018, 05:01:45 PM

At least they are nice enough to make some conversion kits and not head down the Games Workshop path of obsoleting all the stuff people have already bought. 
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2637 on: May 02, 2018, 12:24:50 AM

Yes. And compared to GW product xwing is incredibly cheap with or without conversion kits.

Or compared to almost any miniatures product really. Or even any collectable gaming system without miniatures.

It is still going to cost me hundreds.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 03:41:36 AM by eldaec »

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #2638 on: May 06, 2018, 06:32:11 PM

I'm interested to see how the Star Wars miniatures game they have put out is received.  I already have too much shit to paint, as it is, and will never get to it all.  I've been trying to paint all of my Imperial Assault stuff.  Finally broke out the airbrush.  Man, don't know why I waited 5 years to fire that thing up.  It's awesome.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2639 on: May 06, 2018, 07:23:54 PM

I haven't spent enough time to figure out my pressure/consistency/whatever setup for the airbrush. I've primed a couple minis (for Massive Dorkness) but it's still going down thick and fast. And I should really figure that shit out when I get back around to painting minis.

I forced myself to stop buying IA stuff because of the shit quality.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #2640 on: May 06, 2018, 08:41:56 PM

Playing Gloomhaven now.  Enjoying it, but I do not think it is the best board game ever.  The itches it scratches are better served by a real RPG experience.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #2641 on: May 06, 2018, 09:48:14 PM

A lot of it could have been simplified to make a better game. The entire element board thingy adds pretty much nothing other than something to remember. Less of that stuff and more of a story/RPG aspect would be appreciated.

I put it down because I actually got my wife to play Terraforming Mars. We ended up liking it a lot, which is especially surprising for her. It's a bit long and the component quality is a bit shit for the cost. The engine building mechanics is pretty good though.

Finally, I took some good advice from Sky a few months back and starting painting minis. I'm nowhere hear his quality but I'm doing pretty good for a starter. I'm currently doing my Mansions of Madness characters in a black primed, bone-color dry brushing and it looks pretty thematic.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2642 on: May 07, 2018, 08:37:53 PM

Remember I'm fucking nuts. I wasn't happy with painting minis so I took up trying to learn academic art. Nuts.

Having painted minis on the table is great and I'm happy you're doing it!
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #2643 on: May 08, 2018, 05:16:49 PM

I put it down because I actually got my wife to play Terraforming Mars. We ended up liking it a lot, which is especially surprising for her. It's a bit long and the component quality is a bit shit for the cost. The engine building mechanics is pretty good though.

How is it two player? 
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #2644 on: May 08, 2018, 07:40:26 PM

Two player reminds me of a slightly more complex Race for the Galaxy. Our first game took three hours even using the new rule added in the Venus expansion (player 1 increases a single global parameter at the end of each round).

I suspect there's more competition for parts of the engine if playing with more than two. In those cases I would use the drafting rule for anything more than two players, maybe even with two going forward.

It's good fun with two.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #2645 on: May 09, 2018, 07:07:54 PM

Hmmm.  I think of "more complex than race for the galaxy" and I think of something like 51st state, which I've been staring at for a few years.... awesome, for real

At least the kids are getting to the age that we can jump up from ticket to ride.  I just got son #1 playing race. 
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2646 on: May 09, 2018, 11:52:36 PM

Imperial Settlers is an updated and largely better version of 51st state if you are looking for that. It is mean though, and wouldn't think it is great for kids.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #2647 on: May 10, 2018, 10:24:27 AM

Terraforming Mars is good with 2, 3 or 4 players.  I bought a second copy for my wife to bring to her school so that (advanced) 10 year olds could play it and it was a huge hit once they figured it out.  I've toyed with a simplified version of the game for 2 players that I can use as a rule and strategy teaching tool for her future classes, but have not wrapped the design, much less built a working model.  A 30 minute version of TM with simple mechanics sounds like a good idea, but it is hard to build.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #2648 on: May 12, 2018, 07:42:07 AM

Imperial Settlers is an updated and largely better version of 51st state if you are looking for that. It is mean though, and wouldn't think it is great for kids.

There's a variant where you can't "raze" other people's structures, which would probably be okay.

And honestly, our kids have had meltdowns over Monza and Castle Panic (a cooperative game... awesome, for real)
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #2649 on: May 19, 2018, 07:14:16 AM

Have been playing Harry Potter Hogwarts Battle with the kids.  It's pretty fun, and much better than I expected.  There are some bad guy combos that are a real bitch to overcome.  I may have to get the expansion.... Ohhhhh, I see.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #2650 on: May 21, 2018, 08:59:24 AM

What ages are you playing that with?

- Viin
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #2651 on: May 21, 2018, 11:49:00 AM

Recommended 11+, but I think that as soon as they can read and do basic math you're good if you provide a bit of strategy advice.  I played it with 8 year olds who had fun, but made bad choices. 

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #2652 on: May 23, 2018, 12:41:02 PM

My kids are 7 and 9.  Well, the ones that we are playing with. 
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #2653 on: July 04, 2018, 02:36:53 PM

I got Starship Samurai.  It looks unbelievable, with some super cool Gundam style robots.  

Also got bamboozled into getting some of the Munchkin CCG sets.   Ohhhhh, I see.  
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 04:22:21 PM by ghost »
schild
Administrator

Reply #2654 on: July 04, 2018, 02:54:17 PM

I got Spaceship Samurai.  It looks unbelievable, with some super cool Gundam style robots. 

Also got bamboozled into getting some of the Munchkin CCG sets.   Ohhhhh, I see. 

Starship Samurai?
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #2655 on: July 04, 2018, 04:22:04 PM

Yeh, that one.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #2656 on: July 08, 2018, 08:46:51 PM

Some random kickstarter stuff:

The Island of El Dorado is back up on kickstarter.  Any opinions on this one?  I enjoy exploration games, and it visually looks pretty nice.

So Long, My World looks interesting.  They claim they are going for the 'game as art' angle, though it doesn't really look that pretty from the screenshots.  Still, it potentially sounds like a neat gaming experience.  Only 40 hours left in the campaign.  Hmmm.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2657 on: July 09, 2018, 09:12:42 AM

I've backed way off KS, but I did recently back Escape the Dark Castle because it looked cool.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #2658 on: July 09, 2018, 10:21:06 AM

The Island of El Dorado did not get good reviews on BGG.  I passed. 

So Long, My World seems to be a gamble.  The only reviews I can find seem to be shill reviews.  I'll pass here as well as I have enough waiting to get on the table.

Escape the Dark Castle looked fun to me as well, but I passed on it for the same reasons I passed on SLMW.

schild
Administrator

Reply #2659 on: July 09, 2018, 10:27:22 AM

So Long, My World I almost want just for that sick ass playmat.
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Boardgame Thread  
Jump to: