Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:59:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Boardgame Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 78 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Boardgame Thread  (Read 585282 times)
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #2520 on: January 17, 2018, 03:19:29 PM

Back in Stock at CSI:  Twilight Imperium 4th edition

I emailed my wife and said we needed this for our relationship.   why so serious?

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2521 on: January 18, 2018, 07:35:47 AM

My wife and daughter gave me it for Xmas this year. I said: you realize you're going to have to play it one of these Saturdays or Sundays. They were like, "Oh. Ok. We guess." Then again, my teenager daughter wants me to DM a Numenera adventure for her birthday party this year, so they might actually mean that.
Mazakiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #2522 on: January 18, 2018, 08:37:02 AM

I finally got a group together to play it a few weeks ago, it was super fun.  Only problem is finding people willing to commit to the time needed to play again. 
schild
Administrator

Reply #2523 on: January 18, 2018, 09:00:59 AM

Every time this pops up, I consider it and then realize I will literally never play it. I have 50 other heavy games that seem more interesting that I haven't even played yet.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #2524 on: January 18, 2018, 02:02:24 PM

Every time this pops up, I consider it and then realize I will literally never play it. I have 50 other heavy games that seem more interesting that I haven't even played yet.
Yeah - I have 73 games I want to get on the table that are sitting on my shelf, and my friends all have dozens of their own great games we need to play.  And I have Rising Suns, Deep Madness and a few others coming this year, still.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #2525 on: January 23, 2018, 11:44:56 AM

Hate by CMON  Kickstarter ONLY (no retail release)

A 'league' game where 2 to 6 players have multiple battles to try to gain control over a blighted landscape inspired by a comic book Apocalyptic setting.  While I like legacy, I don't like these league games as much as you always end up waiting for someone to get around to playing... however, it is a beautiful game with large minis.  This is one of those games I'll regret passing on rather than regret backing, but I thought I should mention it.

(Rising Sun is starting fulfillment, essentially 2.5 months early).
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 12:23:51 PM by jgsugden »

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #2526 on: January 31, 2018, 10:33:36 AM

Finally got my copy of Antiquity V3 and played 1 2 player.  It's not nearly as heavy as I expected, I'd characterize it as more a middleweight game.  Very solid and fun though, with the extreme fiddliness reducing that slightly.

Why don't you try our other games?
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #2527 on: February 08, 2018, 03:41:45 PM

I got a copy of Gloomhaven.  Holy shit, that's a fuckton of stuff. 

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #2528 on: February 08, 2018, 03:54:45 PM

It's basically two games - the strategy game and how to organize the damn thing.

It's really, really good though.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2529 on: February 09, 2018, 11:59:10 AM

I got a copy of Gloomhaven.  Holy shit, that's a fuckton of stuff. 

When mine came in, I had KDM out on the table, put it in the studio. Had to put up KDM to use the table for the holidays, Gloomhaven went into the storage closet... I really should bust it out at some point. Or sell off most of my games to free up space :D
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #2530 on: February 10, 2018, 07:37:01 AM

I mistakenly thought that I wouldn't have trouble getting all the shit back in the box after I punched out the pieces.   awesome, for real
schild
Administrator

Reply #2531 on: February 10, 2018, 08:30:59 AM

Yea I opened it, looked at the pieces, looked at the box, looked at my shelf and put it back unpunched.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #2532 on: February 11, 2018, 08:04:53 AM

My friends all bought those plastic collection boxes with the inlays. (Don’t know what they’re called) for Gloomhaven.

Because it doesn’t fit back into the box once you opened everything.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2533 on: February 11, 2018, 08:21:39 AM

My friends all bought those plastic collection boxes with the inlays. (Don’t know what they’re called) for Gloomhaven.

Because it doesn’t fit back into the box once you opened everything.

Plano boxes
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #2534 on: February 14, 2018, 04:55:22 PM

Got into a couple of games of Tzolkin.  It's pretty bad ass.  The way the gears change the board and the planning involved is spectacular.  Highly recommend this one. 
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #2535 on: February 16, 2018, 01:18:44 AM

Got into a couple of games of Tzolkin.  It's pretty bad ass.  The way the gears change the board and the planning involved is spectacular.  Highly recommend this one. 

One of my favorite games. Half of that design team has something new with a similar theme coming out this year I'm pretty curious about. No spinning gears, but seems promising regardless: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/229853/teotihuacan-city-gods
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #2536 on: February 16, 2018, 09:49:39 AM

What are the best quick solo game options? I have Friday and it's pretty good, if ball crushingly tough.

I heard One Deck Dungeon can fit this, too - but I'm not sure how it looks.
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #2537 on: February 16, 2018, 11:00:16 AM

One Deck Dungeon is good. It's very much in the Roguelike vein though. You're just going to get beaten down repeatedly before you win, and some of that will be due to just bad luck.

I've got plenty of other solo games to recommend, but you said quick, so I'll rule out things like Spirit Island, Mage Knight, Gloomhaven, etc. Unfortunately, I don't tend to like quick games, so I'm a bit lacking in experience here. Hostage Negotiator might be of some interest. It's got lots of little micro expansions you can use to mix things up once you beat it. I haven't actually played any of them, but the Oniverse games are meant to be pretty good solo and play quickly. Then there's the Forbidden Island and Forbidden Desert games. I've heard some people talking up Lost Expedition also.

You might want to check out the 1 Player Guild on BGG, or the Top Solo Games of the Year list they do.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #2538 on: February 22, 2018, 10:07:38 AM

One Deck Dungeon is good. It's very much in the Roguelike vein though. You're just going to get beaten down repeatedly before you win, and some of that will be due to just bad luck.

Thanks very much for this info, the game is great and perfect for what I was looking for.

I hosed the rules in the first play, so I'm not counting it. My second play I made it to the easy boss barely as a Paladin, but the boss trounced me first round.

I'm not sure I'll play Friday again, ODD is exactly what I wanted, if a bit long.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #2539 on: February 26, 2018, 06:21:01 PM

Anyone played Pandemic Legacy 2?  It looks pretty interesting with the areas you "discover" as you move along.  I honestly am not a giant fan of base Pandemic and haven't gotten through Legacy 1 yet, but would be interested in opinions on 2.

Just picked up Stuffed Fables, a semi-sequel to Mice and Mystics from the same guys.  Can't say much about the game yet, but the minis are top notch. 
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2540 on: February 27, 2018, 03:24:33 PM

There are discussions further up the thread, but in short it is good. But heavier, more complex, more variable than PL1. Wheras Pandemic and PL1 are about probability management and pushing your luck to balance progress to win vs not losing, PL2 feels more like a puzzle game - the mechanic twists are bigger and the game is more about solving how you can break the scenario each game.

Most people seem to enjoy it slightly less than PL1. I personally liked it more, but I think we got quite lucky with the way our game developed.

I would not attempt to play without a stable group, and I suspect the best player count is two.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 03:28:33 PM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #2541 on: February 27, 2018, 05:41:57 PM

Hey, lets talk about kickstarter.  Again.

So, it was brought up in Discord that two board games are being reprinted via kickstarter currently.  Please tell me why I should not spend my money on them (really, pleeease).

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/burntislandgames/endeavor-age-of-sail?ref=category_most_funded&ref=discovery

Endevor, an elaborate Euro game about exploration.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/166119889/co2-second-chance?ref=category_most_funded&ref=discovery

CO2, a elabroate Euro game about energy production and global warming.

So, anybody have any insights into how enjoyable this shit actually is?

In other news, there also seems to be a game called Dice Throne which, as Schild accurately described, looks like Magic with dice.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/roxley/dice-throne-season-two?ref=category_most_funded&ref=discovery

And finally, I only just saw this as I went to search for links for this post, but it seems Monolith just launched a Batman miniature game.  One look at it tells me its the Conan game reskinned to Batman.  It of course, has already raised 1.5 million on the first day.  So theres, uh, that.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/806316071/batmantm-gotham-city-chronicles?ref=category_most_funded&ref=discovery

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #2542 on: February 27, 2018, 07:15:41 PM

Because KS is shit and you can just buy them at retail later for the same or less and not tie up your money in the meantime.

It doesn't matter how good the game is.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #2543 on: February 27, 2018, 08:08:51 PM

Hmm, hasn't really been my experience so far.  Its usually very hard to get a lot of these games retail outside of kickstarter, and everything I've ever gotten has always ended up being below retail and often coming with extra's you can't get outside of kickstarter.  So I tend to prefer kickstarter for those reasons.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #2544 on: February 27, 2018, 08:36:10 PM

Name a decent game from a recent KS that you can't easily get? That is decent.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #2545 on: February 27, 2018, 08:56:52 PM

Tokaido Collectors edition.   awesome, for real

-Stephen Colbert
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #2546 on: February 27, 2018, 09:07:10 PM

In your defense though, he is finally working on a batch for stores, but we're several years into it being out now and on the second printing.  Even with that it's still selling second hand for significantly more than the kickstarter, and the kickstarter is going to have been $30 less than retail.

edit:  also kingdom death, but that's at a price point where I don't think I ever would have called it readily available even if you'd gotten in on the kickstarters.

edit edit:  I also really love all the card games I got from Small Box Games.  Most people would probably only have heard of Omen if they've heard of him at all, but I've liked most of the games he's put out that I've played.  His back catalog recently got bought by another company, so his stuff might finally see reprints, but it looks like they're going to be continuing to sell his stuff via kickstarter.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 09:17:50 PM by Ard »
schild
Administrator

Reply #2547 on: February 27, 2018, 09:10:36 PM

Kingdom Death costs infinite so I wouldn't call it easy outside of a Kickstarter.

His Kickstarters cost infinite also, but only like 50% infinite.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2548 on: February 28, 2018, 01:41:10 AM

Batman the Conan game is up on kickstarter.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/806316071/batmantm-gotham-city-chronicles/description

If you like overlord games it looks p smart. Also comes with overlord vs overlord mode.

Edit : oh. I bloodworthed.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2549 on: February 28, 2018, 01:44:35 AM

On CO2 mentioned above, I'd really recommend it to anyone who likes Agricola or other mean euros.

Each turn you develop infrastructure which gives you resources and points, but usually opens an opportunity for anyone at the table to gain even more resources and points if they are able to take advantage.

The game is about positioning yourself to steal the opportunities others create and looking for ways to create opportunities others can't take advantage of.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 01:50:08 AM by eldaec »

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #2550 on: February 28, 2018, 02:14:11 AM

Gloomhaven was readily available for around KS prices when people got their KS editions.

Sure it's not constantly in print, but if you want a copy you could have gotten one when the KS delivered without having to KS it.

Collectors editions and stuff like Kingdom Death, and Cthulhu Wars, etc, you might want to KS. But I don't count them in anything like the category of games Tele was talking about above.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2551 on: February 28, 2018, 03:53:10 AM

Also Gloomhaven is an exception and the underlying point is fair.

I kickstarter some stuff anyway and future me usually enjoys the endorphin rush of unboxing surprise gifts from past me that I'd almost forgotten about.

But it isn't amazing value and for people who only buy a sensible number of board games there are almost always better options.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2552 on: February 28, 2018, 02:15:13 PM

Massive Darkness is a great deal better with the KS-exclusive wandering monsters. The base game, even with expansions, is a bit thin on them.

But yeah, man, KDM. So much nicer on KS than trying to snap up limited pieces. Just had to hang my hat on trying to collect their resins, this last round sold out almost immediately. And Poots is pretty nuts about throwing in stuff, though I imagine he'll be more sensible this time around.

There is such a KD frenzy right now, I'm tempted to sell my resin KDM set. Afaik, only a few were made since most of the people who backed at that level lost their minds when Poots didn't deliver it as a beta. I was patient and worked with him over a few months of emails, got the resin pieces plus an additional core game.

I really need to get back into painting minis, I've got such an amazing collection. Or sell them and buy art supplies, heh.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2553 on: February 28, 2018, 07:17:16 PM

Massive Darkness is a great deal better with the KS-exclusive wandering monsters. The base game, even with expansions, is a bit thin on them.

But yeah, man, KDM. So much nicer on KS than trying to snap up limited pieces. Just had to hang my hat on trying to collect their resins, this last round sold out almost immediately. And Poots is pretty nuts about throwing in stuff, though I imagine he'll be more sensible this time around.

There is such a KD frenzy right now, I'm tempted to sell my resin KDM set. Afaik, only a few were made since most of the people who backed at that level lost their minds when Poots didn't deliver it as a beta. I was patient and worked with him over a few months of emails, got the resin pieces plus an additional core game.

I really need to get back into painting minis, I've got such an amazing collection. Or sell them and buy art supplies, heh.

Gambler's chest is going to be bananas. Sell the resins. They do nothing. I assume you have the plastic ones also.
BobtheSomething
Terracotta Army

Reply #2554 on: February 28, 2018, 07:50:21 PM

Is there a market for the non-miniature components of these boardgames?  I'd pledge for some of the CMON boardgames if I could sell off the card components for even a modest amount.
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 78 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Boardgame Thread  
Jump to: