Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:26:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Boardgame Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 78 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Boardgame Thread  (Read 585221 times)
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #2310 on: March 09, 2017, 10:24:09 AM

Hmm, yeah, Rising Sun does look tempting.  We'll see if I can hold off on it or not.  Also, what's with the BGG hate?  The rankings in general are fairly accurate and helpful I think.

Anybody have any thoughts on the Heavy Hitters kickstarter?

My thought is that it is made by Cryptozoic, so I expect mediocrity.
They have that bad of a record?  Looking at their website, I realize I've never actually played a game by them (except Hex  why so serious?).

The Kickstarter makes it look pretty neat though.....

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #2311 on: March 09, 2017, 10:30:04 AM

I disagree there is no depth.

And at my local meetup it is the Terra Mystica crowd who are still playing it.

My issue with it is that the theme doesn't really connect with the underlying efficiency puzzle. Which is almost worse than having no theme. In TM, the puzzle is there on the surface unobscured by theme, in something like Food Chain Magnate - the theme is so well integrated with the puzzle that they support each other. In Scythe the theme hides the puzzle and makes it less interesting.

Also it plainly isn't as good as a top tier euro.

I wonder what they see in it.

I felt like there was no ability to build anything.  Nothing was hard to do and nothing built on anything else.  Maybe most of the "game" is balancing the end of the game with controlling territory/popularity etc... but I didn't care about winning and just wanted it to be over.

Why don't you try our other games?
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #2312 on: March 09, 2017, 10:50:56 AM

My issue with it is that the theme doesn't really connect with the underlying efficiency puzzle. Which is almost worse than having no theme. In TM, the puzzle is there on the surface unobscured by theme, in something like Food Chain Magnate - the theme is so well integrated with the puzzle that they support each other. In Scythe the theme hides the puzzle and makes it less interesting.

Agree about Feast For Odin - its not nearly as much a multiplayer solitaire as it looks, best Rosenburg game in years.

I was all hot and bothered to write a rebuttal to grebo's Scythe bashing once I got to work, and now I see that eldaec beat me to it, and also covered the things I don't like about it as well. It's a solid strategy game. Not amazing, but definitely good, but yeah, it is absolutely not the game it seems like you should be getting when you buy a box with steam mechs on it. I'm honestly surprised there wasn't more backlash about this in the community considering so many people jumped on board the hype train when they saw the art, well before any details about the actual game came out.

And yes, Feast for Odin is definitely top tier Rosenberg, maaaaaybe my favorite of his, but I recognize that I have strong cult of the new tendencies, so I'll decide that once I've played it as much as his older games.

(I still like Colonists and Great Western Trail more from last year though)
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #2313 on: March 09, 2017, 10:55:24 AM

I felt like there was no ability to build anything.  Nothing was hard to do and nothing built on anything else.  Maybe most of the "game" is balancing the end of the game with controlling territory/popularity etc... but I didn't care about winning and just wanted it to be over.

I can obviously only speak for myself, but it's an interesting efficiency puzzle. You have relatively few choices every turn, and they're largely pretty simple, but there is generally an optimal way to string your next x actions together to accomplish a particular goal, and what that is is not immediately obvious. So, I agree that nothing is hard to do, but I don't agree that nothing builds on anything else.

But yeah, you clearly don't like the game. Nothing I say is going to change your mind.
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #2314 on: March 09, 2017, 11:09:50 AM

They have that bad of a record?  Looking at their website, I realize I've never actually played a game by them (except Hex  why so serious?).

The Kickstarter makes it look pretty neat though.....

They've got a pretty terrible record, yeah. Most of what they do is just churn out mediocre franchised stuff. I happen to sort of like the DC deckbuilding game as a beer and pretzels Ascension substitute with art I can actually tolerate looking at, but I wouldn't recommend anything else of theirs (and obviously would only recommend that one with many caveats). With that said though, the components look great, and the market for miniature based mech combat games isn't exactly supersaturated.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2315 on: March 09, 2017, 02:33:52 PM

It has certainly been described that way, but I don't really see it from the KS page. Reads more like a mash up of Puerto Rico, El Grande, and Cosmic Encounter. Which sounds way better.
What are the Puerto Rico elements you're seeing?

The action selection follow-the-leader mechanic.

"Political mandates"

There is probably a conflict game that uses that mechanic which is a better parallel but I couldn't think of it in the moment.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #2316 on: March 14, 2017, 03:52:45 PM

I can obviously only speak for myself, but it's an interesting efficiency puzzle. You have relatively few choices every turn, and they're largely pretty simple, but there is generally an optimal way to string your next x actions together to accomplish a particular goal, and what that is is not immediately obvious. So, I agree that nothing is hard to do, but I don't agree that nothing builds on anything else.

But yeah, you clearly don't like the game. Nothing I say is going to change your mind.

It was interesting once, the second time I played it I was done. It's just a boring experience. It is a simple efficiency game bloated out, vainly and awkwardly. The graphic design of the board is quite poor too.

I'd rather play Yahtzee.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #2317 on: March 17, 2017, 03:59:58 AM

Yesterday, Arkham Horror LCG and its first expansion (Dunwich) were finally translated and released here in Italy, so I grabbed both (more to come at the end of March and April to shorten the gap with the english releases).

I've only managed to squeeze in a partial playthrough of the first scenario, but first impressions are very positive, considering what I was expecting and wished for about this game: lots and lots of "theme" (which I always look for with the majority of my purchases, rather than brain-melting mechanics and decisions) and some innovation to the genre when compared, for example, to the LOTR lcg. Love the contrast between chapters and agendas and hey, the chaos tokens in a bag (purchased this a few weeks back for Eldritch Horror. Look for it on Amazon, cthulhu bag) is a nice, funny and little bastard addition :)

Difficulty doesn't seem to ramp up impossibly right from the start like with LOTR; on the other hand, judging from some comments I've read, deckbuilding seems much more limited at this beginning stage when compared to how it was with just the LOTR core set, even if you purchase two boxes.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #2318 on: March 22, 2017, 11:10:45 PM

Finally got HighFrontier 3rd edition.  This is probably 4x the game that 2nd edition was.  The box weighs 12 POUNDS.  I don't even think Descent 1st ed. weighed that much.
Given I only paid $69 for this, including all of the stretch goals... I feel like I made out like a bandit.  $100+ game easily.  Interestingly, the folk that pander Savage Worlds did all the fulfillment.

He broke up the rules this time into 4 thick, fully illustrated manuals... so much less vaguery, and there are training missions to get started quickly.  I'd say the thing will take 4 solid plays to incorporate all of the advanced rules, including colonization and interstellar travel.  Crazy dense, complex game. 

Easily the best and most complex gameboard(s) I've ever seen; there's 4x the realestate compared to 2nd edition btw.  The whole gamespace, fully setup, is a glorious thing to behold.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #2319 on: March 23, 2017, 02:27:17 PM

Post a picture!
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2320 on: March 24, 2017, 11:08:41 AM

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #2321 on: March 24, 2017, 11:47:42 AM

Still pales in comparison to Gloomhaven, which was about 20 pounds and you could get the standee version for 65$, but yeah, my copy showed up yesterday and that's a pretty hefty box for 69$ compared to most everything else in the industry. I'm finding the 160 or so pages spread across four manuals a bit daunting, but in true Eklund style, a large chunk of that seems to be informative and bibliographic.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #2322 on: March 24, 2017, 12:14:50 PM

Star Wars Rebellion is $65 today only on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Rebellion-Board-Game/dp/B017MLIGP0/ref=lp_2591697011_1_1?srs=2591697011&ie=UTF8&qid=1490382785&sr=8-1

I haven't played it, but it's on my list for purchase at some point. Maybe.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2323 on: March 24, 2017, 12:36:28 PM

On rebellion you need to ask yourself exactly how much you really need a 3 hour roll to resolve game that can only support exactly 2 players.

My feeling was that it is too fiddly and too long for the limited amount of strategy in the box.

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #2324 on: March 24, 2017, 01:43:19 PM

I've good things about it.  Bought.

Hawkbit Sir, how did you learn of this good deal?
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #2325 on: March 24, 2017, 03:48:20 PM

Embarrassingly, I was slumming it on kotaku and saw the deal.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #2326 on: March 25, 2017, 12:45:27 AM

Played around with some Pandemic at the weekend, which was awesome fun, but wife and I are thinking of a D&D type boardgame that's a step up from Dungeon, but not as far as full D&D for playing with Elena.

I'm looking at Descent right now and it looks interesting, but you chaps know shittons more than I do ;  Thoughts ?

You could try any of the official D&D Boardgames. They're pretty simple and easy to learn - also totally co-op which adds much fun and very replayable: Castle Ravenloft, Wrath of Ashardalon, Something Something Drizzt and Temple of Elemental Evil.

Base D20 system to hit, but super-simplified from D&D/Pathfinder and much simpler than Descent (also cheaper) and very much cheaper and more kid-appropriate than stuff like KD...

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2327 on: March 25, 2017, 08:01:26 AM

Played around with some Pandemic at the weekend, which was awesome fun, but wife and I are thinking of a D&D type boardgame that's a step up from Dungeon, but not as far as full D&D for playing with Elena.

I'm looking at Descent right now and it looks interesting, but you chaps know shittons more than I do ;  Thoughts ?

You could try any of the official D&D Boardgames. They're pretty simple and easy to learn - also totally co-op which adds much fun and very replayable: Castle Ravenloft, Wrath of Ashardalon, Something Something Drizzt and Temple of Elemental Evil.

Base D20 system to hit, but super-simplified from D&D/Pathfinder and much simpler than Descent (also cheaper) and very much cheaper and more kid-appropriate than stuff like KD...
Lords of Waterdeep?

The problem with half-baked D20 / D&D stuff that isn't either a boardgame or full on hardcore RPG is that if the experience is bad, that's it. Running it back and repairing the damage ain't easy. I outright quit RPGs because all of the dungeon masters I had were wholly mediocre.

Edit: Lords of Waterdeep is a worker placement game and a terrible recommendation. *BUT* it is a very, very good game. It's no Pret-A-Porter though. Any chance your kid wants to be an accountant? Mr. Card Game is probably a better recommendation: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/130764/mr-card-game

Edit 2: Or just ignore all of my recommendations because I'm pretty sure the publisher went out of business.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 08:06:49 AM by schild »
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #2328 on: March 25, 2017, 04:35:55 PM

This is the basic+colonization setup (for basic only, there is a map half this size); 1/4" thick btw:

The interstellar map is the same exact size  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?; it's meant to be played solitaire but may be played multiplayer as an extension to the colonization rules (so a 4x6 boardspace):

Mats+bits:

It really is the most expandable version of a game in this genre you can buy, it seems.   Altogether, you could easily fill a full-sized wargaming table (>4x4ft) with this, not even including the player mats and other bits.  There is a lot of individual meta that happens at each player; with the production, fuel, etc. game.  That all is tracked by each player separately.  In essence, the complete game is like having to play 4 different boardgames at once.  So it's a HUGE gamespace (if desired) when things get going.  The idea being with the complete advanced ruleset likely requiring multiple sessions to play (especially the colonization endgame module, which adds at least 1hr per player).

He smartly used a rules "module" system this time that gradually eases players into new ideologies.  There are dozens of modules that each introduce new science (or politics, which is heavier in this edition) until you end up with the complete advanced game.  The Interstellar solitaire is a helluva nice touch and there are modules with this as well to change gameplay.

If you're into Volko Runke type games, Ecklund's stuff will whet your whistle on the sciencey side.... especially this game.  It is basically quasi-event driven exo-globalization.
Can't wait to dip into the full game this time and I'm in a great gaming location to pull it off (because it requires a certain type of gamer for sure).  
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 04:37:44 PM by Ghambit »

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
schild
Administrator

Reply #2329 on: March 29, 2017, 10:50:48 AM

« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 11:28:52 AM by schild »
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #2330 on: March 29, 2017, 12:34:13 PM

It is pretty damn nice.  Though I did get mine for almost half that price.   cool

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #2331 on: March 29, 2017, 01:26:05 PM

GMT's site crashed at 1:00pm Pacific, which should shock absolutely no one.

I'd like to get this, but I've been spending a lot on boardgames lately.  Actually picked up the collector's edition of Pax Porfiriana two days ago.  GMT's site crashing has given me an excuse to not spend the money, but I still keep refreshing just in case...

Edit: Site is back up.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 01:43:49 PM by Ruvaldt »

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
schild
Administrator

Reply #2332 on: March 29, 2017, 04:02:07 PM

I'd like to get this, but I've been spending a lot on boardgames lately.  Actually picked up the collector's edition of Pax Porfiriana two days ago.  GMT's site crashing has given me an excuse to not spend the money, but I still keep refreshing just in case...

Did you manage to get one?
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #2333 on: March 29, 2017, 04:35:21 PM

X-Wing Miniatures: Saw there have been a couple of messages about it (from Bloodworth and Hawkbit), wondering if anyone is into this? Played a quick demo game at SXSW, liked it, picked up a core set and played a little at a local game shop yesterday.

Apparently it is already the most popular tabletop strategy game, I can see why. Fairly simple at the core, but with lots of meta from the pilot/upgrade system. Currently futzing around with DIY aids (like movement cards that show all possible moves for a given ship in one image, scaled to actual on-table size) and trying to figure out which style of play I want to focus on first, so I can buy some ships.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #2334 on: March 29, 2017, 05:13:28 PM

I'd like to get this, but I've been spending a lot on boardgames lately.  Actually picked up the collector's edition of Pax Porfiriana two days ago.  GMT's site crashing has given me an excuse to not spend the money, but I still keep refreshing just in case...

Did you manage to get one?

Yeah.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #2335 on: March 29, 2017, 07:55:17 PM

X-Wing Miniatures: Saw there have been a couple of messages about it (from Bloodworth and Hawkbit)

It never caught on with my kid. I bought a core set and then donated it to the kid's club near us. I liked the base gameplay, but I tend to be obsessive about collecting so I'm glad this was squashed early.

A couple guys from our Iowa office are really, really into it - $1000s spent to have any setup possible.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #2336 on: March 29, 2017, 09:12:46 PM

Check out the YT videos by Team Covenant.  They have a great production (overlay) and commentary.  They have all the FFG regionals etc. for XWing.  I learned a lot just by watching them and listening to the commentary.  A fair amount of meta in that game. 

For example:  Finals | X-Wing | Mustafar Open 2017 | Marc Sebo - Jeremy Chamblee

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2337 on: March 30, 2017, 05:06:05 AM

X-Wing Miniatures: Saw there have been a couple of messages about it (from Bloodworth and Hawkbit), wondering if anyone is into this? Played a quick demo game at SXSW, liked it, picked up a core set and played a little at a local game shop yesterday.

Apparently it is already the most popular tabletop strategy game, I can see why. Fairly simple at the core, but with lots of meta from the pilot/upgrade system. Currently futzing around with DIY aids (like movement cards that show all possible moves for a given ship in one image, scaled to actual on-table size) and trying to figure out which style of play I want to focus on first, so I can buy some ships.

--Dave

I play a lot of this. It is a great system.

It is strategic and deep  enough that I enjoy it despite hating dice. You can easily scale up and down complexity. There is a solid tournament scene with relatively little dickishness. There is even a great co-op rpg fan mod. It is far cheaper than other miniatures games - any sensible beginner list consists of no more than 3 miniatures. And it is even great if you either don't paint or only want to dabble - miniatures are prepainted but can be easily repainted or touched up without needing to strip or prime.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #2338 on: April 02, 2017, 07:58:54 AM

Played Scythe last night. I thought it was pretty good. I don't care that much for worker placement/resource gathering games most of the time because they don't have enough interaction or direct conflict. Scythe has a decent combat mechanic mixed with the resource management so it was fine.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #2339 on: April 03, 2017, 10:27:07 AM

My latest slew of purchases (made last weekend during an annual boardgaming festival held in my hometown):

- Scythe
- Dead Men Tell no Tales
- first (and only, for now) two translated adventure packs for the AH LCG (Miskatonic Museum and Essex County)
- The Game
- Boss Monster 1&2 together with a friend of mine  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"Dead Men..." looks quite interesting and I really like the pirate theme anyway; I still have to gather the necessary courage to start unpacking all the stuff inside Scythe  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? . Brain already melted with "The Game", probably because of my horrible math and planning skills  why so serious?  ; Boss Monster will definitely be a nice filler.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #2340 on: April 03, 2017, 07:16:44 PM

I'm going to be playing a bit of Blood Bowl 2016.

With lego men, not expensive minis...
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2341 on: April 03, 2017, 10:04:03 PM

Finally got the old lady to play Paperback. We love word games, so I knew she'd enjoy it. After a month of sitting around watching 24/7 news and reading facebook, her mind was mush for learning the rules (so we left most of them out), but she still won (as I would hope with all her englishy degrees). We had fun playing even the stripped down version, and I like the stuff added by the rest of the rules and optional stuff.

Fun without being too heavy. But we'll still play it a few times before introducing my mom, who loves word games but balks at the complexity of...Exploding Kittens...  Ohhhhh, I see.
Arinon
Terracotta Army

Reply #2342 on: April 04, 2017, 02:43:25 PM

Anyone actually play Gloomhaven?  The second printing kickstarter is running now.  I didn't know it existed until a few weeks ago and it seems the hype is pretty high.

$100, with Canadian shipping included, seems pretty reasonable.

Looks to me like a bite-size Mage Knight with legacy elements. I like Mage Knight a lot but have a hard time carving out the 4+ hours it typically takes with 3-4 people playing.
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #2343 on: April 04, 2017, 02:56:57 PM

Finally got the old lady to play Paperback. We love word games, so I knew she'd enjoy it. After a month of sitting around watching 24/7 news and reading facebook, her mind was mush for learning the rules (so we left most of them out), but she still won (as I would hope with all her englishy degrees). We had fun playing even the stripped down version, and I like the stuff added by the rest of the rules and optional stuff.

Coincidentally, he just launched a kickstarter for Hardback, which is a similar, though different game. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fowers/hardback-the-pre-quill-to-paperback?ref=category_newest
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #2344 on: April 04, 2017, 02:59:43 PM

Anyone actually play Gloomhaven? 

If you scroll back a few pages you will see me ranting at length about it. My feelings haven't changed. It's my favorite boardgame. I buy a ton of games, so I generally only play a game once or twice before trying something new, but with the exception of my Arkham Horror card game campaign, I haven't played anything else since buying it.
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 78 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Boardgame Thread  
Jump to: