Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:22:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Boardgame Thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 78 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Boardgame Thread  (Read 590114 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #770 on: October 13, 2012, 07:40:10 PM

I should have a copy of The Great Zimbabwe by the first week of November =D
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #771 on: October 13, 2012, 10:01:17 PM

I haven't heard much of it.  What's the skinny?
schild
Administrator

Reply #772 on: October 13, 2012, 10:22:07 PM

It's the new game from Splotter - I think every single copy is called for but you might be able to get a preorder in at FunAgain.

It's another modular board game like Antiquity with asymmetric player abilities but with route building a la Roads & Boats or Indonesia instead of Area Control like Antiquity. Also, player movement on the board. I haven't yet read the rules (NYA) but it would seem you pick a god and build monuments to them. Building monuments nets you X victory points.

I didn't even want it until I realized what it REALLY was: A Tale in the Desert, the board game.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #773 on: October 17, 2012, 08:17:29 AM

This one is looking like a "must buy" if you happen to see it out and about.

Get to the Chopper

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #774 on: October 17, 2012, 12:32:02 PM

It's free print 'n play.  I will be printing it.  And I will be playing it.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
schild
Administrator

Reply #775 on: October 17, 2012, 01:45:58 PM

I errrr uh.

Yea.

Roads & Boats is getting reprinted right after Essen.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #776 on: October 21, 2012, 04:33:41 PM

I'm trying to figure out why Privateer Press put out a boardgame without miniatures.  It's particularly obnoxious that it's a boardgame that clearly needs miniatures.  Have we gotten our first real DLC in the cardboard side of things?  Bastards......

Well, Incursion did that awhile back. But they only do metal figures. PP have spin cast plastics so there's really not a lot of excuse there for them...

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #777 on: October 22, 2012, 02:33:26 PM

This looks pretty interesting.  Plaid Hat Games, of Dungeon Run fame, is putting together a Bioshock board game.  I guess it is modeled after Bioshock Infinite.  I tend to like Plaid Hat's games.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #778 on: October 23, 2012, 12:09:08 PM

So I've got a $50 gift card for Amazon and need some ideas of what to buy.  Anyone got anything interesting on their radar (that Amazon might have)?
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #779 on: October 27, 2012, 05:18:50 PM

So I spent the 50 bucks on Abaddon, which looks unbelievable.  The pieces are only marred by the fact that there is only one pose for each of the different units.  I've heard it described as if it should have three or four kids on the back with the biggest, Joker style grins possible on their faces, i.e. it's a pretty light game and heads straight to the "fun".  I'd say that's pretty accurate.  It's not a game I'd get for a serious gamers' night. 

I also got in my copy of Mice and Mystics.  I wasn't expecting it today, but it looks spectacular (The publisher is the same group that put out Summoner Wars).  It's a light dungeon crawl ala Claustrophobia, but with a kinder/gentler theme that might appeal to non-gamers.  Some folks just can't handle the "Hell on Earth" theme that is Claustrophobia.  Mice and Mystics plays in about an hour, so that's awesome. 

The third new game is Seasons.  I haven't done much other than just open it and look at it, but the art on the cards and pieces is quite nice.  I'm always a little suspicious of games that don't have a "board"

My fourth recent purchase was Olympos.  Again, haven't done much with this other than open it and look at it.  It's from Philip Keyaerts, who did Small World, which I don't particularly like. 
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #780 on: October 27, 2012, 05:43:29 PM

The Mice and Mystics intrigues me in that it sounds like Ravenloft reskinned/reformatted.  Can you elaborate more if/when you get time?

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #781 on: October 27, 2012, 05:50:08 PM

It already looks a lot more interesting.  The tiles are much bigger with more movement points.  I'll let you know more when I get to play more (it may be a while, what with the new baby and all). 
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #782 on: October 28, 2012, 11:51:00 PM

The family has been crazy about Ticket to Ride lately, maybe five games a week.  I found a copy of 1910 at my local shop and picked it up.  That's $17 well spent for the full-size cards alone.  Not to mention it stretches the game out a bit more.  Great purchase.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #783 on: November 06, 2012, 12:59:55 PM

Yeah, whoever invented little cards should be beaten around the head and neck with an oar.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #784 on: November 06, 2012, 01:39:44 PM

So I'm hearing decent things about FFG's take on Merchant of Venus.  Any takers?

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #785 on: November 06, 2012, 01:48:34 PM

I bought it.  It looks awesome.  It's an awesome game.  I haven't played this version yet.  It does have little cards, however.   ACK!

I think this is a FFG production that stays pretty true to the base material, unlike Rex (which wasn't really their fault).
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #786 on: November 06, 2012, 01:52:33 PM

Wait, what?  Merchant of Venus is awesome.  To the internets!
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #787 on: November 06, 2012, 01:53:40 PM

How many more melfs must die to feed the pelt market?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #788 on: November 07, 2012, 04:37:29 PM

Apparently my copy of The Great Zimbabwe shipped today.  I still have no idea what it's about, other than a country in Africa. 
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #789 on: November 07, 2012, 05:09:22 PM

If you have a regular gaming group like I do, I recommend Risk: Legacy.  There are spoilers.  So I'm being intentionally cryptic.  It's goddamn awesome.  It's Risk with factions, and a progressively changing board/content.  IE you put stickers and write shit on it and change it forever.  You unlock new content by accomplishing certain missions or milestones.  Essentially that makes it somewhat of a disposable game.  This may sound alien in a culture where we horde game boxes in purpose built structures like sacred treasure.  But I'm here to assure you that though reputability is necessarily limited, it's worth it. 

We started playing here and there on nights when our DM didn't have his D&D shit together or just wanted a week off.  And now we've found ourselves looking forward to playing Risk more than D&D.

AKA Gyoza
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #790 on: November 09, 2012, 06:51:32 AM

I've heard great things about that version of Risk.  I bought several copies, thinking that it will probably be something that the kids and I will play the hell out of.  I've tried to not spoiler myself though, and have only opened one of them up and leafed through just a little to see what it was like.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #791 on: November 09, 2012, 08:03:58 PM

schild-  you should check out Mage Wars.  But then again, it may be too close to Magic: the Gathering for you to bother with. 
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #792 on: November 12, 2012, 10:02:23 AM

schild-  you should check out Mage Wars.  But then again, it may be too close to Magic: the Gathering for you to bother with. 

Already tried.   Failed to intrigue him.

I've played about 5 times now and the last game was an epic near all-nighter.  Wiz vs. Beastmaster and I turtled as much as possible as the wiz.  Draining mana, counterspelling, stuns, incaps, etc. whilst building my own resources.  "Everything was going to my design" until I forgot he had a 'dissolve' (acid destroys equipment) and I lost my only attacking wand.  Game was essentially over then and I used the remaining time to just try out new shit.

Must-haves:
-Timed turns (2-3 mins during planning phases and action phases)
-Know when to concede
-Extra set of cards or another set (just like most LCGs the starters are really just there to learn - it's still a lot of fun though)

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #793 on: November 12, 2012, 12:43:00 PM

I think I like it, but there are some definite negatives including length of play.  I see a lot of potential for the game though. 
schild
Administrator

Reply #794 on: November 12, 2012, 12:44:19 PM

Turtling is the worst way to play a game. Just the worst.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #795 on: November 12, 2012, 02:23:33 PM

Thing is, even when turtling there's still confrontation between "pieces."  I only say turtle in the respect that my Mage isn't engaging except to slow down the opponent to buy time; and boosting survivability when a shitton of pets were on the board.  It was mostly a tactic I tried to use when my wand was destroyed with my best spell bound to it.  Against the beastmaster you really have to try and deal with his pets while you build resources and pets of your own; then direct damage as much as possible while hopefully getting rid of whatever Lair (spawnpoint) he has out.  That's not the only strat. though obviously.  Then there's the inherent turtle while you build channeling (which has to be done asap to be worthwhile).

I think I like it, but there are some definite negatives including length of play.  I see a lot of potential for the game though. 

Yah, tourney rules are pretty developed to minimizing AP.  Also, knowing your tome is key, which comes with deckbuilding and practice.  Most complaints about game length are obviously new players trying out the starters, which all have different playstyles and niggling rules (like wiz' stun and sleep cards).  Bmaster has pet rules, warlock 'vampire' and 'fire' rules, etc.

schild
Administrator

Reply #796 on: November 15, 2012, 07:18:28 AM

In my recent unemployment, I noticed that GMT was still offering their "Tough Economy" sale of two free games to gamers who are recently unemployed. Given how much money of mine they've gotten, this is a pretty special thing that publishers should likely look into as it is pretty much a total guarantee of widened exposure of their games. Anyway, they're shipping me Dominant Species and Virgin Queen for free - which is pretty great because all of their games that I currently own are 2 player only.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #797 on: November 15, 2012, 01:28:49 PM

How do you prove that you're recently unemployed???  If I'm an underpaid Indy contractor does that help?

schild
Administrator

Reply #798 on: November 15, 2012, 04:16:44 PM

Not really. I had emails from my boss about being laid off. They were very real emails about unemployment claims and such.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #799 on: November 20, 2012, 08:42:21 PM

Great Zimbabwe came in the mail.  There's not much in the box for this one.  Definitely not worth the price, if you're going on components only. 
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #800 on: December 18, 2012, 07:56:56 PM

Slight bump.  "Mage Wars" organized play pretty much starts this month at supporting retailers.  We shall see how long this fad lasts I guess.  Kits come with free shwag, etc.  There's a world campaign but I dont think OP outcomes effect it; it's just a voting thing, which is kinda retarded.   1st Expansion should be coming Q1.

In other news, I FINALLY found the game I was looking for.  Was a game I played in a store in Virginia and I'd forgotten the name.  I pretty much summed it up as "Monopoly the way it should be."  "Power Struggle" was the one.  Duh.  Anyways I traded Netrunner for that and "Innovation."   awesome, for real

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #801 on: December 18, 2012, 08:34:04 PM

You were pretty high on Netrunner before - replayability wear out?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #802 on: December 19, 2012, 01:11:56 AM

You were pretty high on Netrunner before - replayability wear out?

It was too reliant on collectibility (reminding me of Warhammer:Invasion; needing multiple core sets to even be slightly competitive [3 in this case], etc.) and I wanted to get more into MageWars and the impending Serpent's Tongue.  I dont have the time/money for two big LCGs and MageWars is actually easier to get people to pick up and play, let alone a more rewarding experience overall.

Still not a bad game, but I wouldn't put it ahead of Summoner Wars either.  Now, if you're a rabid deckbuilder and are in it for the long haul as well as have a FLGS to play it regularly at, then I'd say go for it.  But realize the game fairly sux w/o constructed decks and knowledgeable players.

Above all, I got triple the value ($70 worth of games) for my Netrunner.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS   Had to let it go in that case.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #803 on: December 19, 2012, 07:13:43 AM

Mentioned it in the mini thread, but I got in my copy of Dreadball. Looks really awesome, now I've got to convince the local BGGs to play a mini-based game.

Also broke down and bought a copy of Space Hulk.

Even with all that, I think my next painting project will be the orc team for Blood Bowl. I've got a decent match for the 85 Bears at my buddy's request.
schild
Administrator

Reply #804 on: December 19, 2012, 07:27:07 AM

So, I jumped straight into constructed with Netrunner despite not having played it since the original release. The card pool in the initial release is pretty thin and easily solved which is a shame. The first "expansion" pack doesn't add much depth to it either. Unfortunately, Garfield had a bunch of cards that never should've been in Magic in Netrunner in the early days and they found their way into the FFG release because FFG doesn't actually know how to balance a card game and they clearly revere Garfield as god (see Game of Thrones LCG to see what I mean).

That said, it's a nice break from Magic if you want to play something non-symmetric and completely unbalanced.

I've looked through a bunch of the "decks" that have been winning tournaments - Netrunner players are pretty shit and I'm tempted to go spike a few tournaments for no reason.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 78 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Boardgame Thread  
Jump to: