Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:46:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Boardgame Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 78 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Boardgame Thread  (Read 585401 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #735 on: September 26, 2012, 08:19:36 PM

Preordered Key Flower. Preodering The Great Zimbabwe.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #736 on: September 27, 2012, 07:40:49 PM

I'm trying to figure out why Privateer Press put out a boardgame without miniatures.  It's particularly obnoxious that it's a boardgame that clearly needs miniatures.  Have we gotten our first real DLC in the cardboard side of things?  Bastards......

Ohhhhh, I see.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 06:18:43 AM by ghost »
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #737 on: September 28, 2012, 11:11:39 PM

Got my copy of Mage Wars today.............  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Just read about that.  How is it?  The description intrigues me.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #738 on: September 29, 2012, 05:52:34 AM

I've just set it up and done a little dry run with myself.  I think it's going to be cool, and I like the customizable aspect of it.  Sorry that this isn't that great of a review, but it's the best I got right now.   awesome, for real
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #739 on: October 01, 2012, 05:38:45 PM

If you're interested in "Mage Wars" just have a gander at the dev walkthroughs on youtube, which teach you completely how to play.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngrBijqKjwY

I got mine the day it was available but havent found anyone to play yet.   Ohhhhh, I see.   Finding players for Netrunner otoh is like shooting fish in a barrel.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #740 on: October 02, 2012, 01:40:24 PM

Huh.  They're apparently making a Metro 2033 board game.  The comments are pretty  ACK! as far as it being good, but cool theme.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #741 on: October 04, 2012, 11:00:50 PM

Got my copy of Mage Wars today.............  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Just read about that.  How is it?  The description intrigues me.

Just got done with my first playthrough with my brother and I agree with Vassel so far on it, though obviously my sample-size is much less than his.  Definitely the most fun 2-player game I've played in a long time.

The description is pretty spot-on.  But I'll go a bit further and say it's almost exactly MtG: Tactics only in boardgame form, including the RPG elements (your mages improve their stats over time and can don a full retinue of equipment)...  only you've got access to all your spells immediately.  It's really a pretty ingenious system and seems to work very well.  I mean there's pretty much every type of game in one box:  you've got resource gathering/management, area control, LOS strat, bluffing, secret moves (all enchantments go face-down and arent fully paid until you decide to flip em), deckbuilding, char. development, countering and timing, etc.

The rules are very intuitive and you pretty much only need one playthrough to grasp the whole thing (the rulebook is very well done and the index/codex is a godsend).  This is also a good indicator of a very well put together system.  Stuff just makes sense if you could imagine you were a Mage.  For instance, I could cast a "Tsunami" spell on my opponent for dmg... but I could also bind it to a wand for use multiple times, or even cast it on a friendly to put a fire out.  If I've got a spawnpoint (pretty much a castable "base") or familiar with their own Mana they could do-so as well.  Stuff that is fire-based is weak to it and may take more dmg., or have some other bane that effects a stat.

Awesome game.  Planning phase should definitely be timed though as you'll find yourself staring at about 60 cards trying to decide which 2 to pick.  Also wands are pretty obviously required, but they like most stuff in the game can be countered or dispelled.  (I melted my brother's fireball bound wand in acid 1 turn later)  The deckbuilding aspect is point-based with cards not in your mage's school costing more; elements and spell level are also considerations.  Some of this plays into casting costs as well if your mage is weak to something - for instance a Beastmaster trained in Nature certainly wont like casting Fire spells too much.  This system will lead to wildly fluctuating tome sizes, which is kinda cool.  Obviously you dont want a lot of weak spells muddying up your tome, but you dont want to run out of cards either.

It kinda feels like Dungeon Twister or Earth Reborn to me.  All are great lengthy 2-player games (Earth Reborn if mastered is still likely the best; though really more of a storytelling engine than a game per se), but arent akin to something like MtG or Netrunner.  You dont go buckwild with the deckbuilding even tough you're free to use any card, sessions are longer, less luck-draw factor, and you play more for fun and longer thought-out turns.

I do like it better than Netrunner though, which I bought at the same time.  But I'm unsure how that'll feel a few months from now.  "Mage Wars" wont see anywhere near the following, so it'll suffer as an LCG for sure and likely end up being that game only your select group of friends will play together.  For pickup games with newbs you're pretty much required to use the pre-defined decks, which means destroying anything you've already made unless you buy more cards (which can be bought minus the core-set btw, which is nice).  3 and 4 player games are possible in team or FFA since the card rules are written with this in mind, even adding another board if you'd like (though I wouldnt).  They'll be expanding some things to support this better later on though (like more token colors, tome colors, mage types, etc.)

Kind of a weird niche to be filled with this one basically.  Definitely a keeper.  "Serpent's Tongue" will be hard pressed to be as good, but really they're two completely different games.  I do believe it's better than Summoner Wars in case you were wondering.  Just overall a more gritty and rewarding experience per game.
Actually my brother wants to be a local press ganger for this one...  he hasn't had the desire to do that since Warmachine first came out.   Ohhhhh, I see.   Doubtful it'll ever catch on like that, but a good sign.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
schild
Administrator

Reply #742 on: October 05, 2012, 01:50:04 AM

Apparently I had ordered 2 copies of Netrunner and a copy of Seasons a while back and it shipped with something else that was a preorder. I guess I'll keep and enjoy them.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #743 on: October 06, 2012, 10:18:27 AM

Speaking of Mage Wars, there's a sale going on at the war store. Mage Wars for $35, expansion for $12. (under misc)

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #744 on: October 07, 2012, 08:41:57 AM

Speaking of Mage Wars, there's a sale going on at the war store. Mage Wars for $35, expansion for $12. (under misc)

Only a couple dollars more on amazon.com after you factor in the shipping (free 2-day prime $44).

I wish some of these games weren't a Fantasy setting.  Would be a lot easier to get more people to play them if they were set outside wizards and dragons.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 08:57:56 AM by MrHat »
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #745 on: October 07, 2012, 09:04:11 AM

I think you need to find yourself some new dorks to hang around.   Ohhhhh, I see.

For those that know (schild  awesome, for real), how many boxes of a given Magic: The Gathering iteration do you have to buy to have a good sample of the cards that are available for that set?  Not necessarily to be a competitive player, but to put together a set with each color that is reasonably fun to play.
schild
Administrator

Reply #746 on: October 07, 2012, 09:48:35 AM

Don't know for casual. Six, at least, to be universally competitive and recoup some costs.

Edit: Of the latest set, I bought 12 boxes - but this particular set (Return to Ravnica) has an higher EV than box costs. It took maybe 1/3 of the cards I opened to be able to effectively make all my money back for 12 boxes. The problem with Magic is it's very much an scaling market for new sets and the more you put in the more you can get out of it. The last core set I bought 1 box. Avacyn Restored was 6 boxes, DKA was 4 boxes, and Innistrad was 8 boxes. You sort of need to crunch the numbers and probability before going into it. That said, just playing the market for Magic cards is more fun than most of the games in this thread.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 09:54:06 AM by schild »
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #747 on: October 07, 2012, 10:01:51 AM

I have to admit after my experience 'kickstarting' my painting hobby with money from M:tG cards I'm tempted to buy them simply to sell them off. I can't believe how much some cards are worth.
schild
Administrator

Reply #748 on: October 07, 2012, 10:43:39 AM

Thanks for offering to sell them to me first. That was nice of you.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #749 on: October 07, 2012, 02:50:40 PM

Yep, I fucked up. Sorry.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #750 on: October 08, 2012, 08:13:00 AM

I think you need to find yourself some new dorks to hang around.   Ohhhhh, I see.

No kidding.

I finally go to play Lords of Waterdeep with 5 players.  Was damn fun and everyone was really into it about half way through the first round.

BUT, that's because I explained it like this:

"so you're like competing mafias in this city, and you're fighting against each other to win the whole city, so you send out your lieutenants to gather resources like minions, money, and take over businesses in the city, and you use these resources to complete tasks that have rewards, and those tasks give you victory points with some bonus victory points at the end for how many minions you finish with, how much money you finish with, and you secretly get bonus points for certain types of tasks you finish based on which mafia you are"

Everyone really enjoyed it but still got lots of 'such a nerd' comments when people actually read the cards.

But I've successfully broken them now. Because they all demanded a second game.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #751 on: October 08, 2012, 10:16:55 AM

Awesome!  See, everyone is a nerd at heart. 
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #752 on: October 09, 2012, 06:20:27 AM

Awesome!  See, everyone is a euro-trash lover at heart. 

FTFY.  But yeah, Waterdeep is  awesome, for real.  Wish they'd announce an expansion or something.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Stewie
Terracotta Army

Reply #753 on: October 09, 2012, 06:39:08 AM

If you are into Lords of Waterdeep, you may want to check out this thread for some custom meeples
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/807557/custom-meeples-updated/page/1

The guy is making them himself and selling them. Everyone that has ordered has been quite happy.

I might be going to my FLGS on Thursday to give the game a try. If I like I may buy.

Professional Forum Lurker.
schild
Administrator

Reply #754 on: October 09, 2012, 09:31:00 AM

It's basically a Diet Euro and probably the best thing Wizards has put out since Magic. They managed to do the genre right and nailed a niche (super light-weight) that needed filling. I like Pret-A-Porter, Tourney, and Zong Shi more, but none of those are as light-weight as Waterdeep. Zong Shi comes close though.

On that note, I like De Vulgari Eloquentia more than everything previously named (though Pret-a-Porter comes close as it has a financial aspect that the number cruncher in me loves).
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #755 on: October 09, 2012, 02:12:49 PM

It's basically a Diet Euro and probably the best thing Wizards has put out since Magic. They managed to do the genre right and nailed a niche (super light-weight) that needed filling. I like Pret-A-Porter, Tourney, and Zong Shi more, but none of those are as light-weight as Waterdeep. Zong Shi comes close though.

On that note, I like De Vulgari Eloquentia more than everything previously named (though Pret-a-Porter comes close as it has a financial aspect that the number cruncher in me loves).

The..production values? Seem nice too in Waterdeep. I really like the designated storage system, everything in its place.

Especially compared to the nightmare that is the Agricola box.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #756 on: October 09, 2012, 02:44:43 PM

Box design is fucking retarded, generally.  The boxes are either fucking enormous compared to the bits inside (Sky Traders and Horus Heresy, this is for you) or so full of shit that you'll never get it all back in, particularly if you use a plano box for storage (Agricola, you're a bitch).  But neither of these issues compare to the idiocy of spending shittons of money on a perfectly sculpted plastic box insert that will immediately get trashed once you sleeve your cards. 

Next on the bitch list-  the dumbass tiny cards that Fantasy Flight loves so much.   Ohhhhh, I see.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #757 on: October 09, 2012, 03:00:31 PM

The worst box I own is Shogun, I can never get it closed all the way.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #758 on: October 09, 2012, 04:03:09 PM

Shogun and Wallenstein are both that way, yeah.  They're also oddly shaped, which is irritating if you're trying to organize your collection.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #759 on: October 09, 2012, 08:36:30 PM

Have you played Reef Encounter?  It's pretty great and middle level of lightness, IMO.
schild
Administrator

Reply #760 on: October 10, 2012, 09:45:06 AM

I liked Reef Encounter, but I wouldn't label it a worker placement game.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #761 on: October 10, 2012, 10:33:46 AM

It's a little different, yeah, but it still incorporates some of the same principles. 
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #762 on: October 11, 2012, 07:35:27 AM

I just bought a copy of Roads and Boats.   awesome, for real

Yahoo!
schild
Administrator

Reply #763 on: October 11, 2012, 07:49:14 AM

When you hate it, sell it to me for a very good price.
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #764 on: October 11, 2012, 09:38:18 AM

A monstrous video blast review of Europa Universalis boardgame.

Have a copy of this myself, but I've never been able to convince anyone else to play.

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #765 on: October 11, 2012, 09:38:59 AM

Sure man. It's not likely though.  I am a pack rat.  
schild
Administrator

Reply #766 on: October 11, 2012, 11:30:42 AM

Worth a try.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #767 on: October 11, 2012, 07:21:06 PM

Would you have offered the same as the offer to paint your SDE set?  Ohhhhh, I see.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #768 on: October 11, 2012, 07:22:28 PM

It would take a Limited Edition War of the Ring set to get me to paint someone's Super Dungeon Explore.  What a shitty bunch of minis.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #769 on: October 12, 2012, 01:49:08 AM

I'm going to do my own set after I move house, now that I have an airbrush and a set of Vallejo Model Air. Of course, I have no idea how to use my airbrush yet, so they'll be my learning curve set of figures.  awesome, for real
For now, the box stays sealed...

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 78 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Boardgame Thread  
Jump to: