Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:09:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Boardgame Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 78 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Boardgame Thread  (Read 585242 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #700 on: September 11, 2012, 06:35:50 AM

So they added a cover system? Yay Gears.

Can't get over the theme. My intention with Ravenloft was to mostly use it as a basis for building up some house rules. What we really need is some massive tile exploration game, where you can throttle it down for quick-n-dirty or open it up for endless exploration if you have a saturday or can leave the table set up.

At this point, I'm thinking of just getting a skirmish ruleset and building tiles, I know a guy with a poster printer.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #701 on: September 11, 2012, 06:48:35 AM

Can't get over the theme. My intention with Ravenloft was to mostly use it as a basis for building up some house rules. What we really need is some massive tile exploration game, where you can throttle it down for quick-n-dirty or open it up for endless exploration if you have a saturday or can leave the table set up.

At this point, I'm thinking of just getting a skirmish ruleset and building tiles, I know a guy with a poster printer.

The theme may not to be to everyone's taste (believe me, it's hard to get my non-gaming wife to participate in anything that carried the D&D logo, even if it's a Euro worker style game like Lords of Waterdeep and the theme is essentially just a skin job.  She just calls all the classes by their color cube), but Gears comes close to what you're describing.  I did a little more depth into it, and it's not just a tile at a time, rather when you do hit a wall, you're placing down 3-5 tiles instead of one.  And some games can last up to five hours in some cases.

But yeah, I'd be down for something you're describing.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #702 on: September 11, 2012, 07:25:00 AM

Wait what about cards against humanity and PAX?

Is there a promo I'm missing?

They were handing out a little promo pack, I think there's 12 cards total in it.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
schild
Administrator

Reply #703 on: September 11, 2012, 07:33:00 AM

Are they funny?
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #704 on: September 11, 2012, 07:40:52 AM

But yeah, I'd be down for something you're describing.
I'm hopefuly for Sedition Wars. It's pretty much scenario-based skirmish, but I'm hoping it's flexible enough to allow some cool objective-based stuff. For instance, they're putting in THI suits as an add-on to the kickstarter. These are basically industrial mech suits worn to work around ships and stations. I bought a couple and want to set a scenario where one team can benefit by getting to the THI storage first, balanced by the other team being able to get to the science lab or something.

It's a tile-based game and people are already working on alternate tilesets (the Firefly because the KS included 4 of the crew).

I'd like something for fantasy, though. Maybe this Descent skirmish rules would work with a homebrew tile game?
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #705 on: September 11, 2012, 07:46:53 AM

Are they funny?

There's a couple quality combinations amongst them. Boy Scouts of America is one of the white cards.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #706 on: September 11, 2012, 10:22:40 AM

So I got to try/buy the "new" Netrunner LCG.  Probably the best LCG I've played and definitely better than Warhammer:Invasion.  Love the asymmetric play differences between Corp. and Runner.  Gameplays are also 30 mins typically if people know what they're doing, though of course can get drug out with big decks and even gameplay.

Game takes a minimum of 2 core decks to be viable competitively though, which kinda sux... but you can grab em for only $25/set online.

Anyways, if you've been on the fence about competitive PvP LCG's this is your ideal entry point.  Game's not hard to learn either, actually easier than MtG in some ways.  Kinda reminds me of VtES (only much shorter/simpler) tbh, which makes sense since it's a Garfield game (MtG, VtES, etc.)  Tourneys have already started up (the 1st champ lives here in d.c. actually) and there's pretty much no shortage of players.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #707 on: September 11, 2012, 10:30:01 AM

I bought my two copies.  It looks interesting.  Did anyone here play the original Netrunner?
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #708 on: September 11, 2012, 10:47:57 AM

Yeah, I played the original.  It was an interesting game, that much like the Illuminati one, was a horrible idea as a CCG.  It would have been much better as a set of cards instead of playing hunt the rares, since it was a lot harder than MtG to make a playable deck, for either side.  This one looks like it's extremely similar to the original, minus that bit of suck.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #709 on: September 11, 2012, 11:31:19 PM

I spent some time on the CR forums at BGG, and apparently the CR website has an updated manual.  It adds two pages of information and FAQs, not to mention clarification of rules.  If you're a rules stickler like me, it's a step in the right direction. 
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #710 on: September 12, 2012, 06:28:46 AM

I don't think Castle Ravenloft is a game that you can take all that seriously. 
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #711 on: September 12, 2012, 08:01:56 AM

I think you're right, but the base rules were confusing as hell.  If I'm going to play a game, I'd at least like to play it correctly.  iirc Ravenloft was their first attempt at this style of game, and the fact that they updated the rulebook shows there was room for correction. 

Either way, it went from being frustrating to fun in a short time because of the rule cleanup.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #712 on: September 12, 2012, 08:22:21 AM

I really dig Ravenloft.  It gives some of the feel of D&D without having the time sink involved.  I have all both of the follow ups too.  One great thing about it is that the miniatures are amazing, so if you feel inclined to do some painting you can make your set look super cool.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #713 on: September 17, 2012, 03:47:12 PM

Mage Knight has a new expansion coming out in December of 2012 (ish, I'm sure).  It will have a new playable character, Wolfhawk and a new enemy, General Volkare.  But more importantly, to me, there will be new location tiles, monster tiles, unit cards, spell cards, etc.  This is going to be a must buy, for me.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #714 on: September 20, 2012, 11:48:17 AM

On a whim picked up X-wing miniatures from Fantasy Flight.  It looks fucking amazing.   It's a fork off of wings of war.  I also bought the Y-wing and Tie Advanced.   I've read rumors of B-wings, the Millenium Falcon and Slave II.   awesome, for real
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #715 on: September 20, 2012, 12:18:05 PM

I've had my eye on it but I think the pricing is totally out of whack for a tactical minis game. $60 for the base set which has 3 minis, then $10 for the expansions which are 1 mini each or something like that right?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #716 on: September 20, 2012, 03:55:26 PM

You can get the base set at Boards and Bits for $26.00

The expansion ships are $10 bucks, but they are pretty fucking nice for pre-painted minis.  I'm thinking you could get a base set and one Y wing and a Tie Advanced for 46 bucks and be done with buying for a while.  I bought two base sets and a Y wing and a Tie Advanced.  But then again, I'm spendy.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #717 on: September 20, 2012, 04:14:16 PM

Yeah I guess in my mind's eye when I think of a minis game, I want a whole shitload of stuff out on the table, not 4-5 ships.

I'm no stranger to spendy.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 04:16:31 PM by Ingmar »

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #718 on: September 20, 2012, 04:31:17 PM

Yeah, we've discussed that.  You're still an asshole.   why so serious?

How much was that new?
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #719 on: September 20, 2012, 04:40:15 PM

I actually bought it from someone who flipped it, but for much cheaper than the things are going for now. I want to say it was $450? I'm sort of afraid to go back to my eBay receipts and look.

EDIT: Had to be more than that, thinking about it. Nowhere NEAR the $1500-2500 I see on BGG in any case. He should have waited.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 04:42:52 PM by Ingmar »

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #720 on: September 20, 2012, 04:43:47 PM

I was really just wondering what they were selling it for initially.  If I had the flow I would pay the $12-1500 for it.  It's that awesome. 

My Super Dungeon Explore is going to be that awesome when I finish it.  Really.   why so serious?
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #721 on: September 20, 2012, 04:46:34 PM

In other news, I played the new Netrunner last night. It's a little overly busy design-wise. Not my favorite Richard Garfield game, but it wasn't bad. A few too many mechanics in the rules and not enough on the cards, is my initial impression, MtG is much more elegant.

I should also say I really don't like asymmetric + deckbuilding as a combo. Give me one or the other.

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #722 on: September 20, 2012, 06:00:35 PM

I'm on a board game buying/playing kick.  Bought Catan, Forbidden Island and Dominion recently.  Castle Ravenloft, Ticket to Ride and Small World are on order.  Wife might strangle me.

Nod. The last couple of months I've been catching up for the last 10 years.  swamp poop

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #723 on: September 20, 2012, 07:23:14 PM

In other news, I played the new Netrunner last night. It's a little overly busy design-wise. Not my favorite Richard Garfield game, but it wasn't bad. A few too many mechanics in the rules and not enough on the cards, is my initial impression, MtG is much more elegant.

I should also say I really don't like asymmetric + deckbuilding as a combo. Give me one or the other.

That's disappointing.  Those were the exact feelings I got from looking at the set and reading the rules.   Ohhhhh, I see.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #724 on: September 20, 2012, 08:01:49 PM

Descent?

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Mazakiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #725 on: September 20, 2012, 10:15:29 PM

That's disappointing.  Those were the exact feelings I got from looking at the set and reading the rules.   Ohhhhh, I see.

I've had a blast with it so far, and the fiancee is even getting into it.  To be fair though, I was a big fan of the original version from years ago. 
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #726 on: September 20, 2012, 10:18:38 PM

Descent and Ravenloft are on the short list next year aka KS budget recovery era.

Board gaming-wise right now, I'm knuckling down on a Blood Bowl refresher and learning stuff Cyanide did behind the curtain in prep for my first game with the minis version this or next sunday. Although it might have to wait until there's not a good game on tv.
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #727 on: September 21, 2012, 12:37:47 AM

Don't forget to have him prematurely end his turn when he points to the wrong square or gestures off the edge of the board during setup.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #728 on: September 23, 2012, 06:59:14 PM

I've had a blast with it so far, and the fiancee is even getting into it.  To be fair though, I was a big fan of the original version from years ago. 

I found the rules not that bad at all.  Definitely only need one read-thru and most of the manual is fluff really.  Conceptually I found it easier than magic actually.  Most people have trouble with the stack, timing, etc. in MtG.  You dont have those issues with Netrunner.  It's definitely more along the vein of VTes than Magic though, and I've always thought VTes to be pretty much the best CCG ever made.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #729 on: September 23, 2012, 09:30:54 PM

I found the rules not that bad at all.  Definitely only need one read-thru and most of the manual is fluff really.  Conceptually I found it easier than magic actually.  Most people have trouble with the stack, timing, etc. in MtG.  You dont have those issues with Netrunner.  It's definitely more along the vein of VTes than Magic though, and I've always thought VTes to be pretty much the best CCG ever made.

My big issue with it so far is that I hate when they invent new jargon to represent the same shit you see in other games. 
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #730 on: September 25, 2012, 08:11:26 PM

It wouldn't be geeky if there wasnt new jargon.   Ohhhhh, I see.  And ironically, the jargon used actually fits the game strategically as well as thematically as you cant keyword a CCG w/o viable terminology.  Same as MtG.  Imagine your icebreaker (errr, topmost card) sayin "put a -1 resource on his bottom-most card to the right of his discard pile"  Just doesn't make sense.  It's much better "saying -1 credit on his server."

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #731 on: September 25, 2012, 08:16:16 PM

Oh, it fits.  It's just another new thing for me to learn.  My brain is full.   awesome, for real
schild
Administrator

Reply #732 on: September 25, 2012, 08:23:59 PM

Finally got Glory to Rome. It's very nice.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #733 on: September 26, 2012, 05:19:28 AM

Yeah, worth the wait, in my opinion. 
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #734 on: September 26, 2012, 05:42:39 PM

Got my copy of Mage Wars today.............  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 78 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Boardgame Thread  
Jump to: