Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:33:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Boardgame Thread 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 78 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Boardgame Thread  (Read 585291 times)
avaia
Terracotta Army

Reply #385 on: January 27, 2012, 07:41:12 AM

Sounds like someone who has never bought anything from Splotter!
schild
Administrator

Reply #386 on: January 27, 2012, 08:54:28 AM

Splotter has an excuse.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #387 on: January 27, 2012, 11:17:52 AM

A friend is trying to get me into Warmachine.

Don't do it man.  Even with the pricepoint being way less than GamesWorkshop, it's 'spensive, time-consuming (assembly and paint), and you've got to be interested in league play to make it worthwhile.
I'd recommend Malifaux if you're not really into getting serious at your local FLGS, although that game is also gaining some steam lately.
And remember, that stuff is its own "hobby" not just a game.

On another note, I FINALLY got to play DungeonTwister2 and it kicks ass.  Gotta play tourney style with a timer though or it right sux.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #388 on: January 28, 2012, 10:01:18 AM

I bought some of the KMC perfect fit sleeves for my Thunderstone set and they're almost too perfect of a fit.  I may have to back up and use something else.   Ohhhhh, I see.

Edit:  AND my copy of Cave Evil got here today.  It looks positively awful.  I can't wait to try it out.   awesome, for real
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 02:09:11 PM by ghost »
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #389 on: February 01, 2012, 11:17:37 AM

Okay.  They're really making a Star Trek Catan.   Ohhhhh, I see.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 11:37:09 AM by ghost »
schild
Administrator

Reply #390 on: February 01, 2012, 11:33:48 AM

Yea. Thankfully, I don't even like Catan.

... or Star Trek.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #391 on: February 01, 2012, 11:34:47 AM

But the two together should be sublime. 
schild
Administrator

Reply #392 on: February 01, 2012, 11:52:41 AM

Sublime shit that other people can waste their money on, sure.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #393 on: February 01, 2012, 12:24:08 PM

It is highly irritating that Ascensions older cards are a different size than the newer cards. 
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #394 on: February 03, 2012, 06:35:15 PM

Mage Knight has what is, quite possibly, the worst rulebook in history.   ACK!
schild
Administrator

Reply #395 on: February 03, 2012, 07:09:58 PM

Now that I agree with. It also has a terrible walkthrough of the first play.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #396 on: February 03, 2012, 07:14:31 PM

Now that I agree with. It also has a terrible walkthrough of the first play.

It starts out okay, but then they just stopped.  "Okay, you're now ready to play."  What? 
schild
Administrator

Reply #397 on: February 06, 2012, 08:58:34 AM

You play Cave Evil yet?
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #398 on: February 06, 2012, 09:29:49 AM

Not yet.  What about you?  I had a CE meeting this weekend.
schild
Administrator

Reply #399 on: February 06, 2012, 10:31:30 AM

I haven't gotten my copy in yet. They ship... slowly.
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #400 on: February 06, 2012, 06:21:47 PM

I got my brother 7 wonders for his Birthday as I thought it was something that'd be fun with just us and his girlfriend. Had our first game tonight and we enjoyed it, the game's pretty fluid and quick but still requires a bit of thinking.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #401 on: February 06, 2012, 09:51:15 PM

I asked a while back about tcgs for my kid (she's seven) and got a few responses on Pokemon.  We've played it a bit with some starter decks, and the game itself is somewhat boring to both of us.  It's just too damn simple with the starter decks we have bought.  The "depth" of the game is in building a deck, which my daughter doesn't quite understand yet. 

Is there another tcg, or maybe not even a "Tradable" card game that is slightly deeper in play, but doesn't rely on deck building so much?

I'm starting to wonder if we should just wait a few years and get into Magic. 
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #402 on: February 07, 2012, 07:48:29 AM

I asked a while back about tcgs for my kid (she's seven) and got a few responses on Pokemon.  We've played it a bit with some starter decks, and the game itself is somewhat boring to both of us.  It's just too damn simple with the starter decks we have bought.  The "depth" of the game is in building a deck, which my daughter doesn't quite understand yet. 

Is there another tcg, or maybe not even a "Tradable" card game that is slightly deeper in play, but doesn't rely on deck building so much?

I'm starting to wonder if we should just wait a few years and get into Magic. 

If you like customizable card games but hate the 'collection' aspect, try the Living Card Games, like Lord of the Rings, Penny-Arcade, and Game of Thrones.  It's all the fun without having to buy booster after booster hoping to get the card(s) you need.

On the flip-side, yeah, Magic.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #403 on: February 07, 2012, 10:20:58 AM

Your only option for a CCG is Magic. Pokemon and YuGiOh are awful.

I can't really recommend Penny Arcade to you for a child because it has characters like Scrotuum. It's pretty clearly aimed at adults. Ascension is probably the "easiest" to understand of what's out there right now. Arcana is pretty easy but I haven't yet found the fun in it.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #404 on: February 07, 2012, 11:52:54 AM

It seems like you could build a "simple" Magic deck that would be playable by a child that could play Pokemon.  

The only reason that Magic is super expensive to play is because of the whole aspect of buying more cards to kick ass down at the geek store.  If you don't really care about that the game can be very fun just with the base cards. 
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #405 on: February 07, 2012, 12:50:37 PM

I picked up the Lord of the Rings LCG and love it.  I highly recommend it for the 'non-collector card-game' player.  Also works great in a duo of two people, which the Core set supports right out of the box.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #406 on: February 07, 2012, 07:55:50 PM

The LotR game is on my list, I'll have to bump it up a notch.  Also, maybe I'll snag some starter Magic decks to see if we can get it to work. 

Thanks a ton for the advice, all!
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #407 on: February 08, 2012, 05:50:27 AM

My eleven-year old who likes and understands some quite complicated boardgames and pen-and-paper RPGs found Magic confusing, which I thought was interesting.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #408 on: February 08, 2012, 08:19:17 AM

Magic can be very complicated when you get all the poison counters and life links and what the fuck else their new rules entail.  But for the most part the creatures, the instants, and sorceries are very easy to get.  Something like a simple goblin only deck, with minimal counter production, should be very doable by a 10 year old.
schild
Administrator

Reply #409 on: February 08, 2012, 08:19:49 AM

I learned Magic when it was a rules nightmare when I was 12, the rules are pretty spelled out these days. I'd wager a 10 year old could roll with it.
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #410 on: February 08, 2012, 08:22:11 AM

Don't they still sell the Starter Deck "Intro to Magic" boxes? Comes ready to play bereft of any of the advanced game mechanics and a picture rulebook too. Simple land, creature, instant, etc.… cards.

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #411 on: February 08, 2012, 08:41:33 AM

I'm very interested in trying to put together a list of "kids" games that can also be considered enjoyable for adults.  A couple that I've gotten for the boy that I like include Hiss and Animal upon Animal:  Balancing Bridge.  Both of these can be highly enjoyable for me to play with the boy and he likes them as well.  I have the Kids of Carcasonne, which is okay (may improve as the boy gets older) and Go Away Monster, which is putrid.  Of these, I actually have played Animal upon Animal with the wife (bring on the jokes  why so serious?) and it is quite a good game.  Anyone else have any recommendations?
schild
Administrator

Reply #412 on: February 08, 2012, 09:27:41 AM

Dixit (1, 2, 3, Odyssey)
Coloretto
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #413 on: February 08, 2012, 10:46:36 AM

I'm very interested in trying to put together a list of "kids" games that can also be considered enjoyable for adults.

Survive!  I played it when I was a kid, even.  Has a nice reprint now and is still fun.  And contains the valuable life lesson that some people are more important than others.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #414 on: February 08, 2012, 01:01:49 PM

Heroscape is doable for kids and the collectibility/buildability is something they can get into.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #415 on: February 08, 2012, 01:36:13 PM

Had some credit at Amazon to spend.

Picked up Power Grid on the high praise of multiple friends.  Looking forward to trying it out.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #416 on: February 08, 2012, 05:53:50 PM

Heroscape is doable for kids and the collectibility/buildability is something they can get into.

Too bad this one is going out of print.  You can pick up some of the sets now for reasonable, but some of the sets (like the one with the trees) are going for over a hundred bucks new and over 50 used on ebay.   Ohhhhh, I see.

This was too awesome of a game to let go out of print.

Edit:  Fuck, I just convinced myself to buy another Swarm of the Marro and two castle setups.   Ohhhhh, I see. Ohhhhh, I see.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 05:59:01 PM by ghost »
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #417 on: February 08, 2012, 06:24:05 PM

Yah I knew it was OOP but it's still relatively easy and inexpensive to get into.  Part of the reason it went OOP in the 1st place.  They'd reached a critical mass of players and it became unprofitable to pump out that much crap for a system not that many new folk were getting into, and if they were ebay and BGG were picking up the slack if not just proxying.

You COULD if you wanted to completely DIY it.  You could alumilite-clone the pieces, but you'd have to paint them of course.  There's 3rd party stuff to print battlefield layouts and view unit stats/pics also.  But really, a lot of the game is public domain stuff anyways.  You dont even need the box set.   Plenty of minis and terrain you can get that'll work.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #418 on: February 08, 2012, 06:49:34 PM

This is true.  It's a great game.

In other news, FF has delayed the shipment of the Star Wars LCG until the fourth quarter of 2012

FFG has announced that they are "going back to the drawing board" with Star Wars: The Card Game. The game was previewed at Gen Con 2011 and was expected to be released Q1 2012. Fantasy Flight Games, however, felt that it wasn't as engaging or as "ground breaking" as they wished, and have announced a new release date of "just before the 2012 holidays."

This is shocking.  I can't believe that, with all the LCGs they already have out and the scads of deck builders currently out, they are having difficulty coming up with some novel ideas for their card game.  This might be one of the first Star Wars things that I completely skip. 
grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #419 on: February 08, 2012, 08:26:39 PM

I played the new Uve Rosenberg offering, Ora Et Labora, at a con over the weekend.  It's a good heavyweight offering like Le Havre and Agricola. 

It is largely about building a point making machine, and gives you plenty of time to do so.  Lots of diversity on how you get points though.

Bottom line:  If you like Agricola but could do without the certainty that you don't have time to do even half of what you need to,  then give it a look.

Why don't you try our other games?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 78 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Boardgame Thread  
Jump to: