Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:43:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: MLB 2011 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] Go Down Print
Author Topic: MLB 2011  (Read 142227 times)
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #840 on: November 18, 2011, 08:31:16 AM

That will only happen in cases where a team is running away with a division, where it already happens now. If there is a wild-card team in division with a chance to take first place, this will *discourage* taking your foot off the gas, because if they catch you suddenly you can be fucked by a single-game playoff. I think you're very much underestimating the level of incentive involved there.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #841 on: November 18, 2011, 08:36:06 PM

Yeah, I kind of like it. True, one more team makes the playoffs, but it does increase the incentive to win the division rather than just comfortably settling in for the wild card.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #842 on: November 19, 2011, 07:59:10 AM

Yeah, I kind of like it. True, one more team makes the playoffs, but it does increase the incentive to win the division rather than just comfortably settling in for the wild card.

How? 
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #843 on: November 19, 2011, 08:11:50 AM

How? 

Currently, if a division has two teams that will both finish ahead of any other non-division winner, there's little incentive for either team to try and win their division.

Now, both of those teams really want to win their division to stay out of a one-game playoff.  This can also cascade into other divisions if other teams avoid packing it up to make it into that one-game playoff.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #844 on: November 19, 2011, 12:47:59 PM

How? 

I've only explained it twice! If you win your division you avoid the incredibly-luck-driven one game playoff. That is very, very powerful incentive.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #845 on: November 19, 2011, 02:04:35 PM

How? 

I've only explained it twice! If you win your division you avoid the incredibly-luck-driven one game playoff. That is very, very powerful incentive.

Sorry.  That would have required me to read previous posts to find out. 
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #846 on: November 23, 2011, 06:16:39 PM

I guess I won't start the 2012 thread until it is ACTUALLY 2012, so this can go here:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7269300/major-league-baseball-players-owners-sign-new-labor-agreement

Some pretty cool stuff in there but for me the highlight is instant replay for fair/foul and trap catches. That's the kind of stuff that using replay for is easy and not disruptive, exactly what they should use it for.

Also a nice little feather in their cap after all 3 other major sports had/are having shitty labor negotiations in their most recent bargains.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #847 on: November 23, 2011, 06:29:28 PM

Yeah I'm glad they got it done fast. I'm also happy about the replay, and I hope they take it even further to base calls as well.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #848 on: November 23, 2011, 07:52:43 PM

I guess I won't start the 2012 thread until it is ACTUALLY 2012...

That didn't stop you from making this thread in 2010.  Ohhhhh, I see.

God Save the Horn Players
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #849 on: November 23, 2011, 08:06:46 PM

And he started it with Braves news! Just the way an MLB thread should begin.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #850 on: November 29, 2011, 09:19:43 PM

Bobby Valentine? Really?
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #851 on: November 29, 2011, 09:44:24 PM

Man, that's like having Kermit T. Frog as your manager. I was pulling for Lamont or Sandy Alomar Jr. to get the job. Really, the Sox should never have let John Farrell get away. :/

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #852 on: November 30, 2011, 06:16:07 AM

I like the move. He already dealt with the pressure of the NY media, and he knows how to assemble a shitty staff into something remotely productive.

caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #853 on: December 08, 2011, 01:45:18 PM

DISNEYLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do I care that the Angels still have four CFs and now three 1B right now? No, not really.

DRILLING AND MANLINESS Woot! DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Also, feel free to quote this back to me when Pujols' and/or Wilson's knee ligaments turn to dust.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #854 on: December 08, 2011, 01:55:13 PM

For 10 years? Yeah, the Angels can have him. I'd sign Prince Fielder to a 10 year contract, but not Pujols. At least with the Angels, he can be a DH for the last 5 or 6 of those years. And the Cubs don't have to face his ass 15 times a year.

Of course, I'm prepared for another horrible season but at least this season can be considered rebuilding.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #855 on: December 08, 2011, 02:12:38 PM

Pujols could very well propel the Angels to a title or two.  That was a great pickup for them.  I'm not ever sure what to think of the Marlins.  I'm not sure that they should ever be good, but they will pull one out of their ass every few years.  It doesn't seem like superstars like Pujols are what their typical formula is, however. 
WayAbvPar

Reply #856 on: December 08, 2011, 02:30:20 PM

For 10 years? Yeah, the Angels can have him. I'd sign Prince Fielder to a 10 year contract, but not Pujols. At least with the Angels, he can be a DH for the last 5 or 6 of those years. And the Cubs don't have to face his ass 15 times a year.

Of course, I'm prepared for another horrible season but at least this season can be considered rebuilding.

Fielder will be in a wheelchair or on his 3rd hip in 10 years. I am terrified this will scare the Mariners into grossly overpaying him and utterly fucking the franchise for even longer than it currently is.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #857 on: December 08, 2011, 02:31:46 PM

Prince Fielder is the only player that played in all 162 games last year.   awesome, for real

-Rasix
WayAbvPar

Reply #858 on: December 08, 2011, 02:33:34 PM

The human body can't bear that kind of weight and play a baseball schedule forever. Unless he loses 50 pounds before he is 30, he will be crippled.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #859 on: December 08, 2011, 03:10:00 PM

He's not THAT heavy - he's not his dad, and he leads a pretty healthy lifestyle by all accounts.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #860 on: December 08, 2011, 03:49:03 PM

10 years is absurd for a Pujols contract. He guy is already 31 on paper, and most likely 33 in reality.

stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #861 on: December 08, 2011, 06:48:45 PM

Who do you think the mystery team was that kept Pujols from pulling the trigger on Miami and allowed Anaheim the time it needed to put a proposal together?

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/al/angels/story/2011-12-08/albert-pujols-cj-wilson-sign/51750952/1?AID=4992781&PID=4166869&SID=1s5fbz0rj4jqq

e: I have no idea myself, but I might guess the Blue Jays or Giants. The Braves only spent ~$90m last year and they're division rivals... They just got rid of Derek Lowe, who cost $15m/yr.

doube edit: That doesn't really seem to fit Atlanta's M.O., though. They shuffle talent like they're trading baseball cards.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 06:57:11 PM by stu »

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #862 on: December 08, 2011, 06:54:52 PM

I can assure you that it wasn't the Braves or Giants. We don't pay anybody to hit.

stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #863 on: December 08, 2011, 07:06:59 PM

Derp, I was too slow with my double edit up above there...

Yeah, I can't imagine who it was, but it's interesting. The Giants are kinda wild. I mean, they rented Beltran for a half season in exchange for a top prospect.  swamp poop Wildcards bitches!!!

Maybe the Cubs offered to Pujols to screw over St. Louis even though they supposedly want Fielder more. That would make sense because Fielder isn't going to get Pujols money.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #864 on: December 08, 2011, 07:31:12 PM

The Giants also already have a lot of 1Bs.

Zar
Terracotta Army

Reply #865 on: December 08, 2011, 09:23:24 PM

On Pujols, I am disappointed as a Cardinals fan to see him go, but it seems to me that everyone involved acted in their own rational best interest.  The Cardinals could not afford to match or exceed that $250 million contract for 10 years--it would have crippled them in the long term.  I was even uncomfortable with their $200 million offer for 10 years.  The Angels will be able to afford to throw more money at their team to compensate for Pujols' inevitable decline on the backend of his contract, whereas the Cards would have been proper fucked.

Also can't really blame Pujols for cashing in, as he's certainly earned it.  I'd just hoped he'd be willing to stick around and become a one franchise player ala Ripken, Gwynn, Jeter, or Musial, and that he'd be willing to take something of a "hometown discount" for the opportunity.  Ah well.  I'm still optimistic about the Cards' chances in the upcoming season, albeit somewhat less so.
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #866 on: December 08, 2011, 10:43:12 PM

The Giants also already have a lot of 1Bs.

So do the Angels though, and that didn't stop them.

I really wanted to see Reyes go to the Giants. He'd be a great fit in SF, more so than in Miami. There was talk of Reyes getting traded to SF around the All-Star break and I think he could have put them in the playoffs by negating all of those one-run games. Sabean just makes me scratch my head sometimes, but I do like what they do there.

Pujols:

I think A-Rod kinda ruined it for everyone with his two massive contracts. I remember Pujols saying he's been disrespected by St. Louis's final offer during Spring Training and thinking, whatta dick. But the truth is he was kinda on target. John Lackey made a decent chunk more than Pujols did this past year and that's not a crime, but it's not just either. Would have been nice to see him stay in St. Louis but there's always that first round compensation pick to look forward to.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #867 on: December 08, 2011, 10:48:19 PM

Yeah Reyes would have been really nice, but I didn't figure there was much of a chance.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #868 on: December 09, 2011, 09:16:39 AM

I get the feeling the Cubs aren't going after Fielder either, but will make enough noise about to keep his ass out of the Central division.  why so serious? Hell, they just traded for a lefty 3B who hit in the .150's last year (albeit due to injury) and has 54 career HR's playing in COLORADO. They aren't seriously looking to contend this year and it's probably for the best. That pitching staff fell apart and the hitting was just as bad. Build young around Barney/Castro/Dejesus (really?)/Stewart and whatever pitchers they can keep upright.

I expect the Angels to start dumping players in trades for young talent. The Giants would have NEVER signed Pujols - they've already had their share of watching aging superstars carry their team for another 5 years at least. And yes, A-Rod's contracts have poisoned the well for superstar contracts. Either teams have to overpay for the big boys (in dollars or years)

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #869 on: December 09, 2011, 10:10:48 AM

I've always preferred the Braves strategy of dumping guys as soon as they ask for big money, as anytime we've offered it for pitching it's become a gigantic liability.

I'm looking at you Derek Lowe, you fucker.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #870 on: January 05, 2012, 07:04:14 PM

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out, Douche.

Big Z can go fuck off to Miami to die with the rest of the Snowbirds.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #871 on: January 05, 2012, 11:54:27 PM

I've always preferred the Braves strategy of dumping guys as soon as they ask for big money, as anytime we've offered it for pitching it's become a gigantic liability.

I'm looking at you Derek Lowe, you fucker.

How did I miss this post. Greg Maddux says hi?

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #872 on: January 06, 2012, 06:18:20 AM

Love Mad Dog, but he did his best work when he was paid $5-6 million.

The Braves unfortunately paid him more through 2001-2003 as we did from 92-97, and we got so much less.

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: MLB 2011  
Jump to: