Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:44:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Ghosts from Gettysburg - Evidence Inside 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ghosts from Gettysburg - Evidence Inside  (Read 17085 times)
Draegan
Terracotta Army

on: November 08, 2010, 09:28:56 AM

My Fiancee and I enjoy watching shows like Ghost Hunters and Ghost Adventures. So for my birthday last week she took me to Gettysburg, one of the most haunted towns in the country. We booked a room at the Farnsworth House Inn, one of the most haunted B&B's in the country... supposedly. Now I'm a technical kind of person, I have a degree in Engineering, I don't prescribe to any religions; so it's safe to say that I'm a skeptic with an open mind. I love the TV shows but I'm usually thinking of ways they can produce "evidence" on their shows. So with that I went there to see if I could catch some weird shit.

We arrived in Gettysburg around 5pm on Thursday and our stay was going to be for two nights. We checked in and got a list of a few different activities that we could sign up for like Ghost Hunts and Ghost Tours. The only activity we could sign up for on a Thursday was a Ghost Hunt which started at 8:45pm. So with a few hours to spare we headed to our room to get settled in, and go grab some dinner.

The bedroom looked like any other typical B&B. So once we put away our bags, I broke out my camera and start taking some shots of the room. Take a look at the results.

Ok, even if you are a hardcore skeptic, you can perhaps take those "orbs" as dust or reflections of the camera's flash. Some pictures were taken in the dark, some were taken with the lights on.

So I'm stoked. I'm getting "evidence" right off the bat and even if it's not real, it could make for a cool short story. But this isn't all that I got... We have yet to go on the Ghost Hunt we signed up for.

-----

So we go out and grab some dinner and as 8:45pm rolls around we head next door to meet up with our tour guide. Typically, as I'm told, these tours usually have 10-15 people per tour guide as they go out and "hunt". As my fiancee and I walk up it turns out it'll just be the tour guide and us. Pretty cool.

So we step inside to learn about our equipment. We have the typical K2 meter that you see in Ghost Hunters. It's an instrument that shows off electromagnetic fields in the local area. We have a set of divining rods, a tape recorder (I brought my own) and some night vision sites. The guide had a laser temperature sensor that he used throughout the tour. In the end however, only my camera was able to pick up anything evidence wise, and I have yet to analyze my recordings. So stay tuned with that.

Back to the tour though. After learning about our equipment we walked into the Farnsworth Inn and went into the basement. Nothing really showed up in our pictures really. It was pretty dull. However our tour guide said that just last Tuesday a woman held out here hand, proclaimed that it was ok to touch her, and got "slimed". We only have his word on that, but it was kinda cool. He seemed to believe it.

We then leave the basement and walk across the street. Across the street is the local high school that's been there for quite some time. It butts up against the Gettysburg National Park, nearly 200 yards from Cemetery Hill. Stepping onto the bordering road would be considered tresspassing (after hours) and grounds for jailing. This just goes to show you how close we were to the battlefield.

There are a reported three mass graves that were on this site. All sense dug up and the bodies moved, though the confederate bodies were there a lot longer. These graves were in three spots around the football field. The last body to be dug up happened in 1998 when the school dug up the grounds for the foundation for the cement bleachers. They found the bones of a Confederate Soldier. This was grounds for a reason for possible activity. Some souls might not be at rest!

So during this first part I kept taking pictures and everything was pretty uneventful.

In the first picture below you can see the field house. I took another picture, from the same angle, and same time and something weird came out. You'll see this in the second picture. Trust me when I say it was very dark, and there weren't any lights on or anyone else out there with us at the time.

What is that weird orange light? You can still shrug and pass it off as a weird flash, or maybe I put my finger in front of the lense. It's still worth showing though I think.

We then continue to walk behind the bleachers. There is a story of a ghostly woman who walks the fields in search of a lost loved one from the war. She's seen to be walking around at night with a kerchief up to her face to ward off the smell of the dead bodies. So about ten minutes after learning of this story I suddenly can smell a distinct sweet/lavender scent in the air. And it's strong. Let me remind you that it's now around 9:30pm. It's cold out, around 40degF, and it's a clear night. It recently rained as well so everything had a crisp clean smell to it. It's obviously November so there are no flowers or other vegetation around, and my fiancee was not wearing any perfume.

It's impossible to document this, but I think it adds to the story. You can believe me or not. That's up to you. But this still isn't the best thing that I found.

The next place we went to was where they dug up a mass grave and hit an underground water source and flooded the area and created a small pond/lake. Nothing really happened here, but the divining rods that the tour guide was holding kept crossing and uncrossing on command. I did capture a picture of a blue orb, but it really wasn't very interesting.

After this we went to the last place. It was in the middle of a line of trees. I'd say the clearing was about fifty feet by thirty feet, and oval in shape. We were basically forty feet from the battlefield and were surrounded by trees. You couldn't see the night sky either.

Now I wanted to give the divining rods a shot and see how they feel. We start talking and a "ghost made his presence known". My fiancee started taking pictures and got some interesting results. Check out pictures one and two. You can see me on either side of the photo and a "mist" kind o floating around me. These two pictures were taken about five minutes apart from each other.

Now we started asking more questions and the divining rods started going crazy. Instead of merely crossing a bit they start to turn parallel to each other. They were typically forming an "X" all night but this time they came together and formed a straight line so in front of me they looked like an "=" sign.

I decided it was time to snap some shots. I caught this crazy blue orb  after I put down the rods. These last pictures were taken with my camera an arms length away from me at eye level.

I thought that was pretty cool when I saw it, so I decided to take more pictures. The next picture nothing came up.

Then I took the last picture... and well, check it out.

I would like to add that it wasn't cold enough to make your breath mist at all. There was also no one smoking.

Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 09:48:19 AM

Hey!  Let me be the first to  Facepalm.

AKA Gyoza
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 09:53:38 AM

My house was built on an Indian burial ground.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan
Vaiti
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 09:59:24 AM

Ha, last picture is cool. Sounds like you had a good time. I grew up in that area. Alot spooky shit to be found everywhere.

One thing with ghosts that has bothered me recently is why is it the more refined out technology gets, the crappier pictures get of them? People were taking photos of full body apparitions back in ye' ol' black and white flash powder camera days. Now we get smoke and orbs. Wha?

Reading your story made me realize how cynical I am. 10-15 person tour group made me immediately go "Yeah, sure, I BET, they just say that for marketing blah blah blah" Jesus. I need to lighten the fuck up.

EvE: Caern Robillard | Cua D'Mon
Steam Profile
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 10:11:12 AM

Reading your story made me realize how cynical I am. 10-15 person tour group made me immediately go "Yeah, sure, I BET, they just say that for marketing blah blah blah" Jesus. I need to lighten the fuck up.

Well, we did a Ghost Story Tour on Friday night and we saw the Ghost Hunt tour go off with all their little gadgets and there were about 15 people all holding diving rods.  So, yeah it's a good bet that that was true.  My Story Tour had about 30 people in it.

There was a 2am Ghost Hunt in the main building that was pretty expensive, and that was sold out.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 10:13:42 AM

Oh yeah, I have about 1-2 hours of audio I took with a recorder that I haven't listened to yet.  If I find anything on it I'll post it here.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 10:26:06 AM

You have a dirty lens chief, not a ghost problem.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 10:38:50 AM

You have a dirty lens chief, not a ghost problem.

Would you like to see pictures from the same angle with and without the things in them?
Muffled
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 10:46:47 AM

roflcopter

Ghost stories crack me up.

I can have fun with them, but there is no way I will ever take them seriously.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 11:03:56 AM

-Rasix
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 11:07:35 AM

Fake ghost pics: Orbs

I'd love to believe in ghosts if there was even one single shred of evidence to support them that wasn't faith based.

On a friendly note: Sounds like a wonderful trip and a really great birthday present.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 11:09:26 AM by Nebu »

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 11:14:15 AM

Fake ghost pics: Orbs

I'd love to believe in ghosts if there was even one single shred of evidence to support them that wasn't faith based.

On a friendly note: Sounds like a wonderful trip and a really great birthday present.

Orbs themselves don't really impress me at all.  But can you explain my last image?
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: November 08, 2010, 11:16:54 AM

Orbs themselves don't really impress me at all.  But can you explain my last image?

I can give it a shot if you can tell me all of the variables involved. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: November 08, 2010, 11:40:13 AM

What do you need to know?
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #14 on: November 08, 2010, 11:52:22 AM

Ghost orbs are lens/glass defects interacting with light.  No glass is perfect, not even your precious Leica.

Water vapor doesn't require cold, only moisture.  Its not uncommon to see ones' breath on a warm summer night to make a photo look like those.  Moisture from the environment evaporating from your clothes and skin will also cause the 'aura' look.

The orange photo is your tan shirt with the flash lit from behind. 

Glad you had fun, but you didn't photograph ghosts.  There's a reason those ghost hunter shows have been TV on for 10 years and haven't once shown a ghost. 

My grandmother's house had an unused room upstairs that whenever we opened it the rocking chair in that room would be rocking on its own.  When I got older I figured out that because the room was always sealed up and we were the only people that would open it for weeks at a time, negative pressure would build in the room and the sudden opening of the door would cause a nice draft in the room and rock the chair.  Sure had us freaked till we were 14 or so, though. 
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: November 08, 2010, 11:53:57 AM

Air temperature, ground temperature, relative humidity, barometric pressure, wind speed, and the condition of your camera would be a great start to minimizing variables.

-  Mark Twain
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #16 on: November 08, 2010, 12:05:20 PM

I like the elephant in the last picture.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: November 08, 2010, 12:09:50 PM

Air temperature, ground temperature, relative humidity, barometric pressure, wind speed, and the condition of your camera would be a great start to minimizing variables.

Air Temperature was mid 40F.
Ground Temperature was around 42F through 47F depending on the spot.
Very minimal wind speed.  Most times I did not "feel" any breezes or notice any.  But I don't have any hard numbers.
Camera was about 3-4 years old, though hardly used.  6 megapixal Casio.

The last picture, I was surround by a thin wall of trees.

Relative humidity and barometric pressure are unknown.  I did not measure these.  

I took many pictures before and after from the same angle without moving myself or the camera.  That last photo was the only one with "mist".  The others were normal pictures with nothing in them.  My camera was held at arms length away when used.. so two feet from body.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: November 08, 2010, 12:30:37 PM

I refer you to the Carl Sagan quote. You have decided that the things you are seeing are ghosts with no sort of evidence to support that.  Why are they ghosts? Why aren't they orby thing and mist? Did one tell you your great-grandma's recipe for pickles?
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: November 08, 2010, 12:33:09 PM

I refer you to the Carl Sagan quote. You have decided that the things you are seeing are ghosts with no sort of evidence to support that.  Why are they ghosts? Why aren't they orby thing and mist? Did one tell you your great-grandma's recipe for pickles?

Because I'm having fun.  I mean, what kind of evidence do you need to prove there is a ghost?  I thought it was a strange image and would love to debunk it.  But in the mean time and in the spirit (har, har pun intended) of the weekend, I'm going to go with ghost because it's an awesome story.

You fuckers need to lighten up.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: November 08, 2010, 12:53:32 PM

MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: November 08, 2010, 12:58:16 PM

That's what it looked like the last time Gozer the Gozerian came into our world. We are fucked.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #22 on: November 08, 2010, 01:44:44 PM

It's Calgary. Who would notice if it was devastated except a few mooses and a drunk guy with hockey-hair.
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: November 08, 2010, 03:59:32 PM

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
WayAbvPar

Reply #24 on: November 08, 2010, 04:07:09 PM

Caught the tail end of the Ghosts episode of NatGeo's Is It Real? series around Halloween. Just the bit I saw showed how to replicate pretty much every 'ghost' phenomena ever filmed/taped. It was quite enlightening.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #25 on: November 08, 2010, 04:29:00 PM

A trip to the flea market, a brief greenscreen session and some elbow grease in Photoshop would've made this thread about 500% more interesting.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: November 08, 2010, 04:42:40 PM

Because I'm having fun.  I mean, what kind of evidence do you need to prove there is a ghost?  I thought it was a strange image and would love to debunk it.  But in the mean time and in the spirit (har, har pun intended) of the weekend, I'm going to go with ghost because it's an awesome story.

You fuckers need to lighten up.

Damn good reason.  Post(s) made me smile because clearly you had a good time.  Good on ya.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #27 on: November 08, 2010, 10:05:26 PM

"Because it's fun" doesn't fly with some people. Ingmar bitches at me for watching Stupid Ghost Shows all the time.  Heart

God Save the Horn Players
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: November 09, 2010, 02:32:49 AM

I was off at an old civil war battlefield one autumn night with some friends.  It was all convincingly dark and chilly, but was made ludicrous by the company I was with, as they were painfully city bred.  One of the things that people who never venture to the outdoors don't seem to realize is that the outdoors are loud.  So over the course of the night, they discovered the hoofbeats of ghost horses (a train), the cries of the dead (owl), and voices from beyond the grave (one of them pushed the button on a pedestal that played a recording about the battle).  Watching them freak out over normal nighttime animal noises sorta ruined the gravity for me.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: November 09, 2010, 07:53:39 AM

City folk can be highly amusing at night in the country.  Taking them to a cemetery would be hilarious.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: November 09, 2010, 08:54:36 AM

It's Calgary. Who would notice if it was devastated except a few mooses and a drunk guy with hockey-hair.

HEY NOW.

I don't have hockey-hair.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: November 09, 2010, 11:21:34 AM

City folk can be highly amusing at night in the country.  Taking them to a cemetery would be hilarious.
I have to be careful about the term 'city folk'. My fiancee, despite growing up in the city and thinking hiking is done on a paved path, and has utter disdain for even the thought of the word 'outhouse'....she gets real upset when I call her a city girl.

If you haven't even wiped with leaves, if you haven't bathed in a stream, if you can't properly use a blanket at night when sleeping under the stars, if you have not dealt the killing blow on the creature you eat for dinner, gutted and cooked it, you're probably a city folk. And that's ok. But expect a little rib-poking, especially with the shit country folk have to take from dipshit city folk who would die in two days in the woods.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #32 on: November 09, 2010, 11:26:51 AM

Do you really need to kill an animal to not be considered 'city folk'? Seems a bit extreme to me.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #33 on: November 09, 2010, 11:32:06 AM

she gets real upset when I call her a city girl.

My sister gets real annoyed when her husband calls her a "city slicker", we grew up Armagh, population <15,000 (smallest city in Ireland apparently).
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: November 09, 2010, 11:36:59 AM

Do you really need to kill an animal to not be considered 'city folk'? Seems a bit extreme to me.
Are you a vegan?

AP: 15k is a city. I grew up with maybe a couple hundred people within ten miles of me....we called 'em suburbs because it wasn't /real/ wilderness, like our camp in the adirondacks, where there was only one other camp for miles (the game warden's).
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Ghosts from Gettysburg - Evidence Inside  
Jump to: