Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:49:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Comic Jumper - Twisted Pixel - Xbox 360 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Comic Jumper - Twisted Pixel - Xbox 360  (Read 2529 times)
UnSub
Contributor

on: October 16, 2010, 08:13:04 AM

One major thing that can distort any professional game review is the reviewer never having to pay for the title. They get it free, so a basic question like, "Is it worth the money?" isn't asked, while a few bright spots / glaring flaws can be blown out of proportion to fill out a review.

Comic Jumper has been getting mostly good reviews, but I think this is definitely because it has a bright spot that a quick play-through highlights, but several flaws that only people who have to pay for it are going to consider. I won't link any of the reviews, but what stands out to me is that a lot of them say, "The gameplay is mediocre, but it's FUNNY! so here's a good score." Sure, it has its moments of humour (and some flat attempts too), but ultimately if I want a comedy I'll rent a movie. On the gameplay aspects there are numerous problems that stand out.

For one, Captain Smiley is too big. This means he'll get hit where you thought you'd dodged and during the rail shooter sections you'll find that his body blocks something important on screen. Secondly, the controls also aren't responsive enough - where you want smooth aiming (especially during the rail shooting bits) it seems sluggish, or you'll try to pull a slide (down + A) only to find you jump or drop through a platform instead. Thirdly, the melee combat sections are dull - press X to beat up enemies - while the shooting platform elements see you run over similar landscapes while shooting the same enemy models over and over. There's not a lot of variety to Comic Jumper.

Finally, the game is just too expensive for what it is - 1200 points for the same reskinned experience across several levels. The humour doesn't stand up for a repeat viewing, while the gameplay problems remain.

I played the demo - which is the full game at 1.92GB, just locked to the first level and intro the second - and had my issues with it, but saw all the good reviews and thought I'd take a chance. However, everything I've seen thus far is a repeat of that first level, just with different things to shoot at. As such, I recommend that people trial Comic Jumper first. If what you see thrills you, buy it - you'll get more of the same. Don't like the demo? Save your 1200 points.

I haven't finished it, so I reserve the right to change my mind at that point, but right now I wish I'd bought Hydrophobia instead.

Rating: Trial it.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 08:47:50 PM

This basically describes every iPhone game review ever.

Hey it's cheap / free and amusing - actual gameplay is irrelevant.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 02:48:15 AM

It's a Twisted Pixel game, which means I have to play it no matter what. Their brand of humor works so well for me. Your biif actually sounds a bit like what I'd say about The Maw, the developer's first game. You just ran around eating everything and doing inane puzzles, but the concept was so good for me that it carried the game.

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 06:41:05 AM

Finished it. Yeah, parts of it are funny (Benny went through the annoying reference and into funny for me, as an example) but overall the gameplay is still lacking.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Comic Jumper - Twisted Pixel - Xbox 360  
Jump to: