Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:45:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Fish Tanks 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fish Tanks  (Read 166754 times)
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #210 on: January 16, 2015, 07:06:56 AM

You're welcome.

So, increased aeration;  how does it work ?

Do you have a filter set up or airpump with an airstone?

For the filter setup, IIRC, the easiest way is to lower the water line so the water feeding back into the tank creates a lot of wake on the top of the water - this will provide natural aeration and you'll probably see the fish near the top 1/3 of the tank while this treatment is going on since that is where the most oxygen is found. Granted, your tank will sound like a fountain, but the extra agitation is enough to up the O2 in the water.

You can also do daily water changes of about 25%. Fresh water into a tank always ups the O2 content. If you do the increase temp and chemical treatment, you will probably already be doing this after the initial treatment.

Or another option is to go buy a cheap airpump/tubing/airstone set up and add it to your existing filter set up. That is probably the best way to go IMHO because then you have a back up air provider if your filter ever takes a piss. I have no idea what you have access to in terms of petshops or fish stores over there, but that link is basically what you are looking for. (just keep in mind, if you add an airstone, make sure you dryloop the electrical cord because airhoses can and do frequently pull water back into them which can lead to water dripping into the pump and down the cord)

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #211 on: January 16, 2015, 07:25:29 AM

So, increased aeration;  how does it work ?
Stick a straw in the water and blow on it.  Make it a family activity to rally around saving the fish.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #212 on: January 16, 2015, 07:27:46 AM

Don't make me beat you, Panda.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #213 on: January 16, 2015, 08:32:37 AM

Again, great advice above.  Written like a textbook, even down to the cord loop. 

In my experience with sick fish, I only do 10% water changes, but twice per day.  It's overkill likely, but I really tried to make the changes as gradual as possible for the fish. 
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #214 on: January 16, 2015, 09:13:24 AM

Has Ick mutated into some kind of killer disease? Years ago when I had fish tanks and got Ick I'd just raise the temperature a couple of degrees and put in a few drops of ick medicine and it cleared right up. I don't think I ever lost a fish to Ick and I never did water changes for it.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #215 on: January 16, 2015, 09:18:18 AM

I haz followed the usual interwebs (and pet store) advice Reg and I haz medicated and I haz water changed and all that.

It's still eating the fuck out of my fish.  I'm just looking for help before there's nothing left of the poor tossers.

They looked better this morning tho.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #216 on: January 16, 2015, 09:18:57 AM

BUT WAY TO MAKE ME FEEL BAD ABOUT IT.  WHY DON'T YOU JUST CHALLENGE ME TO A GAME OF MONOPOLY WHILE YOU'RE ABOUT IT ??!

Terracotta Army

Reply #217 on: January 16, 2015, 10:11:19 AM

Life cycle for ich is about 4 days I think. You are breaking the cycle in a specific part of the parasite so this does take at least a week to see the results.

And surprisingly, I do not actually have any fish currently. This was all the stuff I learned while living with my xgf who was a hobbyist - to say the least. You glean a little wisdom when the hobby is as pervasive as it was in her house.

Ich is easy... talk to her about fish tuberculosis. That stuff is horrible and you don't want.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #218 on: January 16, 2015, 11:07:18 AM

BUT WAY TO MAKE ME FEEL BAD ABOUT IT.  WHY DON'T YOU JUST CHALLENGE ME TO A GAME OF MONOPOLY WHILE YOU'RE ABOUT IT ??!

I choose the top hat.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #219 on: January 19, 2015, 04:01:58 PM

So how is the infestation progressing?
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #220 on: January 19, 2015, 10:02:12 PM

I have used Methylene and for all the good it's done, I'd have been as well putting it up my arse.

I guess heating is a way to go now, but knowing my cack-handedness, I'm going to end up with fishsoup.

I always just skip to whatever the local pet shop has that's got Malachite Green. It's the only thing I've ever found that will get rid of Ick before it kills the fish it's shown up on. Everything else I've ever tried will usually save the other fish but anything that's showing even a few spots ends up dying. You have to hit it quick because fish are really subject to stress causing normally harmless microorganisms to run amok and kill them. And the worse it gets, the worse it gets. It sounds like they might have developed fin rot in addition to ick. You can use Melafix at the same time as the copper based ick meds to help them heal up. It also smells really wonderful since it's mostly Tea Tree extract. A word of warning though, copper based meds will kill the shit out of any invertebrates, so take out any snails, shrimp, etc you care about.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #221 on: January 20, 2015, 03:07:25 AM

Yeah, my two shrimp, Peter and Carlos, would not like that.

Just to recap, I decided 'Fuck The Instructions' and started dosing, er, more regularly.  Ick is almost completely gone and fish are healing up and looking much nicer.

Clearly, however, I'm new to this and managing to fuck up in ways probably known to all, but I'll keep you advised.

I am also a little pissed off that you buy pets for your child and end up looking after them.  I know that's pretty much standard, but it still pisses me off.

MournelitheCalix
Terracotta Army

Reply #222 on: February 21, 2015, 11:42:25 AM

i have always ran about a teaspoon of salt per 10 gallons in my tanks.  The result has been I have never had a problem with ick.  It has been my experience that fish health is a pretty simple thing to keep.  The keys were salt in the aforementioned ratio, stable temperature, good filtration, and frequent water changes.

Born too late to explore the new world.
Born too early to explore the universe.
Born just in time to see liberty die.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #223 on: February 22, 2015, 03:40:31 AM

Babies happened.  Being Unprepared happened.  Baby snacking happened.

I am prepared for the next time.

ACK!

Terracotta Army

Reply #224 on: February 22, 2015, 05:00:33 AM

ACK!

lmao. Yep. That is a very accurate scenario.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #225 on: February 22, 2015, 08:47:13 AM

Wait they ate the fish?

Terracotta Army

Reply #226 on: February 22, 2015, 10:08:14 AM

Wait they ate the fish?

Fish are opportunistic... and will cannibalize their young. Basically, few fish will recognize their babies and just see something swimming about that will fit in their mouths.

However, some fish will protect their young for awhile...but even then they will only do so for so long. 

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #227 on: February 22, 2015, 10:50:59 AM

I used to have guppies and am very familiar with the baby snacking phenomenon.   awesome, for real  Supposedly if you provide a lot of hiding places (plants with dense foliage, that kind of thing) a few of the babies will escape their ravenous parents for long enough to outgrow that awkward bite-sized phase.  Otherwise speedy removal to another tank is necessary if you want them to reach adulthood.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Raph
Developers

Title delayed while we "find the fun."

Reply #228 on: February 22, 2015, 11:09:14 AM

Two experiences: 80g tank with rosy barbs.

One, we had the fish spawn in a small 15g tank. We got about 100 babies. Babies eat each other too. We eventually gave away around 25 of them, and kept four.

80g tank and we let them spawn in there. Lots of hiding spots. Survivors: two.

In other news... I switched to powdered fertilizers a few months back and my tanks suck now. The growth in the big tank has fallen way way back and many of the more delicate plants just died. The small tank is festooned with sme sort of hair or thread algae. Looks like a fert imbalance, but it's been hard to figure out. I don't want to go back to the liquids though, they were so freaking expensive...
Terracotta Army

Reply #229 on: February 22, 2015, 03:07:08 PM

Mouthbrooders are fun. But my ex had a few that were not relaxed enough to let the babies out of the mouth and had to be forced. Very weird watching her pry open the mouth of her fish and having 30 babies comes forth like the plague.  awesome, for real

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #230 on: February 22, 2015, 03:12:37 PM

I remember the first time I saw a documentary about the frog that carries the babies under the skin.

Fucking Nature.  It's Fucking Sickening.

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #231 on: February 22, 2015, 03:26:55 PM

Anyone want a 155 gal tank n stand cheap?  awesome, for real

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #232 on: February 22, 2015, 05:25:30 PM

Cannot imagine shipping costs...
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 05:27:36 PM by Pezzle »
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #233 on: February 22, 2015, 07:37:10 PM

MournelitheCalix
Terracotta Army

Reply #234 on: February 22, 2015, 10:53:28 PM

ACK!

I put baby stations in my african tanks which is a variation of the copeopod strategies that mandarin fish keepers use.  Put simply its areas spread out in the tank that are too small for the big fish to get to.  That strategy works pretty well for me and three to five baby demasoni usually survive to adulthood.

Born too late to explore the new world.
Born too early to explore the universe.
Born just in time to see liberty die.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #235 on: February 23, 2015, 03:16:58 AM

I AM PREPARED !!

awesome, for real

Terracotta Army

Reply #236 on: February 23, 2015, 04:14:07 AM

Java moss works pretty well as a hiding spot if you don't really care about breeding. Plop a clump of it in your tank and go about your business. You'll have at least 2-4 babies make it.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #237 on: February 23, 2015, 08:14:19 AM

I AM PREPARED !!
YOU ARE NOT PREPARED! /Illidan

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #238 on: February 23, 2015, 11:40:05 AM

Terracotta Army

Reply #239 on: May 02, 2015, 09:29:23 AM

So I am getting a new tank set up because I need a pet and a cat is out of the question currently.

I completely forgot about the start up costs for a good tank set up, and I am only setting up a 5gal. Tank, top, light, filter, substrate, water testing kits, driftwood, heater, siphon vac, dear god you take for granted a lot of this when you live with a fish keeper.  swamp poop

Hope to start a fishless cycling routine tomorrow. Probably looking to get a nice dragon betta from the local fish store since they have a few. If not, I'll be ordering one and will probably go overboard and pay too much.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #240 on: May 02, 2015, 11:37:18 AM

Bettas are really tough. Do you really need all that stuff for one?
Terracotta Army

Reply #241 on: May 02, 2015, 11:57:07 AM

Bettas are really tough. Do you really need all that stuff for one?

Not necessarily, but if I drop $25 on a betta, I want to assure he'll live.  awesome, for real

Besides, I will probably get a +30g bowfront show tank at some point and might as well have a fully cycled hospital tank if I need. “Anything worth doing, is worth doing right.”

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #242 on: May 03, 2015, 08:11:25 AM

Our betta lives in one of those "pour the water in" tanks from the TV with a single plastic plant.  I invested in a thermometer and a $12 heater this past winter since he was very sluggish and I keep the house at 62F.  He seems happy.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Terracotta Army

Reply #243 on: May 20, 2015, 06:40:20 PM

Almost cycled. Nitrites are spiking and the nitrates are slowly increasing. Good thing because I plan on picking up a fish next week.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #244 on: May 20, 2015, 10:20:48 PM

Is that the 5g? Regardless, I like your setup. That bug might be biting me again.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Fish Tanks  
Jump to: