Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:25:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2010 MLB Playoff's 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2010 MLB Playoff's  (Read 43269 times)
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

on: October 07, 2010, 12:05:08 AM

Considering our lack of enthusiasm for even getting a fantasy league together (luckily I had others to join!) this thread will probably just consist of me posting to myself, but figured I should start one for general discussion.  The Giants have actually made it back to the playoffs after 7 years, and I was at one of final games against the Padres (which had a very intense atmosphere) so I'm very much excited to follow.

First bit of grand news so far:  Roy Halladay throws a no hitter, only the second time that's ever happened in post season history (first time was in 1956). 

Impressive to see, he's an awesome pitcher.

I guess we could all make predictions now as well.  I'm going to go with bias and say the Giants will win the NL Pennant.  I'm going to say the Devil Rays will take the AL. 

Obviously, without the fucking rally monkey to stop them, the Giants will beat Tampa in the world series.    awesome, for real

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 12:20:50 AM

I am really, really, really glad we didn't have to play the Phillies in a short series. Atlanta has a somewhat softer rotation. Of course with our hitting, we'll probably make them look like Halladay/Oswalt/Hamels anyway.  Ohhhhh, I see.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 06:48:46 AM

Rabid Braves fan here. Everyone in this town thinks Atlanta limped their way into the playoffs and is totally doomed. I'm slightly more optimistic given that San Fransisco is basically the same type of team as the Braves: all pitching and wildly inconsistent hitting. In the first game, both teams are tossing their obvious aces at each other to try and grab the all important first win. Lincecum has gotten stronger over his last 5 starts, only giving up 7 earned runs, and going 4-1. If he gives up 2 runs or more, however, the Giants usually can't figure out a way to rally and win. Lowe is 5-0 over his last five starts, giving up only 4 earned runs. If I'm looking for an edge on the game one starters, I think it goes to the Braves.

On the hitting side, the Braves are riddled with injuries. We lost our best hitter in Prado, we lost our leader in Chipper, and we lost our starting first baseman in Glaus. Due to injuries and trades, we're not playing any of the same infield we started the season with. The Braves are a patient team that coaxes a lot of walks, has struggled with timely hitting, and is a non-threat to hit the long ball. Thing is, so are the Giants. Nobody on either team is hitting well down the stretch. Nobody is clubbing the ball into the stands. Hitting is a wash.

When you look at the team defense, Atlanta has struggled mightily in the field due to the constant lineup changes, trades, and injuries. There's no consistency out there and it shows up in second half errors. San Fransisco, OTOH doesn't make mistakes. On the season, they are tied for the fewest errors and best fielding percentage in the league. Advantage goes to the Giants on this one. Braves will make at least a few errors in the series, and they have to hope they won't be hugely costly.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
WayAbvPar

Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 07:10:48 AM

I hear that Halladay guy is kinda good. I am rooting for Texas- I enjoyed Cliff Lee during his brief stay here, and would like to see him stick it to the Yankees and Phillies.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 07:57:43 AM

I'm rooting for either the Rays or the Rangers simply because neither has one, but I really don't see anyone with the pitching AND offense to take down the Phillies. The Rays are probably the only team with anywhere near the starting pitching depth that Philly has, but they don't have the experience. I think the Braves will actually squeak through against the Giants, but then... you know, Phillies.

Muffled
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 12:09:32 PM

You're giving the Yankers no chance against Philly, Haemish, assuming they win the AL?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 12:24:43 PM

That is correct. No matter how good that lineup, I don't think their rotation after Sabathia can outduel the Phillies rotation.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 02:47:12 PM

That is correct. No matter how good that lineup, I don't think their rotation after Sabathia can outduel the Phillies rotation.

I would agree with that as well, but the Phillies are prone to go into a hitting funk not even their pitchers can protect them against. There are a lot of games where they score 1-3 runs. Either they can pitch with that or not.

Muffled
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 08:56:49 PM

How about them Rangers?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

They're my home town team and holy crap has this been a long time coming.  I pray I'm not jinxing the series by being happy about it after only two games.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 09:06:01 PM

I wouldn't want to play us in a short series either.  Heart

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 09:15:05 PM

I wish baseball ONLY had playoffs, it's the only time I actually enjoy watching it.

PS: I hate when I have to wait out a 15 second timer because Ingmar posted something, wah!

God Save the Horn Players
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 11:00:32 PM

Paelos, I don't really think the Giants really limped into the playoffs.  We had a grood record, and (amazingly) the NL west was actually very competitive and hard fought this year.  We can be shaky and a bit streaky, but I'm very happy with the team composition.  We have top to bottom talent in our batting rotation, with no major weakness's.  Only problem is we don't really have any big bats either.  Still, the whole order is very capable of producing, even if our offense has run production trouble.  Then they are supported by one of the best pitching staffs in the Majors right now (most of it home grown).  So I think we actually have good chances this year, though its going to be hard fought.

Braves have a great squad as well, in a similar way (as you said).  But your right that they've been hamstrung by injuries.

Also:  Wooooooooo!  Its nice to see that Lincecum is back to form and seems to be staying there.
I wish baseball ONLY had playoffs, it's the only time I actually enjoy watching it.

PS: I hate when I have to wait out a 15 second timer because Ingmar posted something, wah!
Eh, I think that's how it is for everybody.  Baseball is the only sport I watch during the normal season.  I only watch any other sport during their respective playoffs.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 11:01:43 PM

We have top to bottom talent in our batting rotation, with no major weakness's.

Suffice to say I disagree to an extreme degree. Our offense is mediocre at best.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #13 on: October 08, 2010, 07:15:36 AM

Paelos, I don't really think the Giants really limped into the playoffs.  We had a grood record, and (amazingly) the NL west was actually very competitive and hard fought this year.  We can be shaky and a bit streaky, but I'm very happy with the team composition.  We have top to bottom talent in our batting rotation, with no major weakness's.  Only problem is we don't really have any big bats either.  Still, the whole order is very capable of producing, even if our offense has run production trouble.  Then they are supported by one of the best pitching staffs in the Majors right now (most of it home grown).  So I think we actually have good chances this year, though its going to be hard fought.

Braves have a great squad as well, in a similar way (as you said).  But your right that they've been hamstrung by injuries.

Also:  Wooooooooo!  Its nice to see that Lincecum is back to form and seems to be staying there.

I disagree with you on a few points. Yes, you limped into the playoffs. Any team with a 3 game lead and 3 to play that is forced to win on the very last day of the regular season limps into the playoffs. This is not a disputable fact. The Braves were the same way. I agree with you that SD was extremely competative, but yall faltered at the end.

Let's also face another fact. San Diego fell apart. I can point to the EXACT date where everything went to hell for them, and they couldn't recover. August 25th. On that day, the Padres hold at 6.5 game lead over the NL West with 37 games left. If they play even .500 ball from that day on, they cruise to the division championship with 94-95 wins. Instead, they lose a record 10 straight, and go 4-13 for their next two and a half weeks, including losing 3/4 against the Giants. When they finally wake up from that nightmare on September 12th. Everybody is tied up. It was an epic collapse.

You say your order is good top to bottom. I'd say they are consistent top to bottom. All your batters are ok, none are outstanding except Posey, and he's a damn rookie. You are capable of producing but you are wildly inconsistent. Huff if your best power guy, but he only has 26 HRs, and his average goes from .367 in July to .224 in August. A lot of your guys are feast or famine like that. It's a problem the Braves had as well. They would win games by 13 one night, and lose two in a row by getting one run in the rest of the series. It's maddening.

All in all, I think the Giants have a better shot at overcoming their issues while they are in San Fran, but once this show goes back to Turner Field where the Braves have a sparkingly record and the real ace on the mound, things could get interesting. If we split the series tonight in SF, you might not see it come back to the west coast.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: October 08, 2010, 11:27:26 AM

San Diego's success was simply not sustainable, though. The 10 in a row was a fairly spectacular way for them to choke, true, but that just was not a 95 win team. They were about as good as us - dangerous in a short series, not enough offense to be in the high 90s win-wise.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #15 on: October 08, 2010, 11:41:15 AM

I fucking despise Philly and everything that comes from it, except Iverson when he was playing there. So I expect them to win the world series again.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #16 on: October 08, 2010, 11:47:29 AM

San Diego's success was simply not sustainable, though. The 10 in a row was a fairly spectacular way for them to choke, true, but that just was not a 95 win team. They were about as good as us - dangerous in a short series, not enough offense to be in the high 90s win-wise.

Actually San Diego was way shittier than either Atlanta or San Fran. By the end of the season they were second to dead last in NL average, while the Braves and Giants were 6th and 7th. The funny thing though in that streak was it wasn't just hitting. Their pitching evaporated in late August and was giving up 5+ a game. Unless you are the New York Yankees, you aren't overcoming a 5 spot on the board every night.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: October 08, 2010, 12:01:31 PM

Average means very little, if you want to make comparisons look at something with more value like team OBP or slugging or even just runs scored. Mind you this doesn't directly change your point, since they sucked at those too, but batting average is just a bad stat to look at. 12th in runs scored FWIW, Mets/Nats/Pirates(lol)/Astros all were worse.

Atlanta's big problem is injuries. Losing Jones and Prado took a pretty decent hitting team and pushed it down into our neighborhood, and we already had the edge in pitching and a very big edge in defense. Play the series 10 times and I think the Giants win about 7. The one advantage you can milk is we haven't got much left handed hitting to speak of.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #18 on: October 08, 2010, 01:39:51 PM

Our starters also got nailed too. Medlen, our young phenom, had to have Tommy John, and Jurrjens is injured with some knee issue that I think hides something larger.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: October 08, 2010, 02:56:09 PM

We have top to bottom talent in our batting rotation, with no major weakness's.

Suffice to say I disagree to an extreme degree. Our offense is mediocre at best.
We have run production trouble as I mentioned.  What I meant is that all of our players have proven talent, and can still be dangerous.  I don't really feel we have anybody left who is a shitty hole in the lineup, which is frankly a big change for us (where usually half the team is a no talent hole that can never be counted on to do anything other than fill in slots on the roster around the name Bonds).  We don't have any big players, however, so this means, as Paelos said, we tend to be a feast for famine team based on how many players are on a hot streak or not.  Looking at the team hitting stats, we are consistently ranked in the 6th to 8th range in the NL in almost every hitting stat, which isn't bad by any means.

Luckily we have great pitching to even out the low dips from our offense, giving us a winning record.  Also, good pitching always trumps good hitting in the end, which I also think will help us in the post season.  This is why I think we have a shot.

If any of that makes any sense.

-Stephen Colbert
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #20 on: October 08, 2010, 03:24:02 PM

What doesn't make sense is why are all these Bay Area fans coming out of the woodwork who I didn't know lived in/around SF?

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Muffled
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: October 08, 2010, 07:12:25 PM

Bay area fans hardly ever have anything to talk about in the playoffs.  I sympathize with them. tongue
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #22 on: October 08, 2010, 08:22:19 PM

Tee hee at the Giants pitcher totally fucking up his baserunning because OH GOD I AM ON BASE HOW U PLAY GAEM. Knocking in a run made up for that though.  Heart

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #23 on: October 09, 2010, 05:52:59 PM

I love Rick Ankiel!

Muffled
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: October 09, 2010, 10:30:53 PM

I was at the Rangers - Rays game tonight.  Ugh.

Pulling Colby early put way too much pressure on our bullpen, couldn't string any hits together on their relievers, and Feliz looked young and nervous.  He's just not the confident shut-down closer we need to win playoff games (yet).  The game could have been quite a bit worse, we got away with giving up a lot of walks and singles before the 8th inning.

Is there anybody else here who cares about this series at all?  Texas teams seem to be persona non grata in these parts while the Rays simply don't have any fans at all, which is a tragedy as they are an excellent team and should be a blast to root for.

Edit: punctuation.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 10:34:17 PM by Muffled »
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #25 on: October 09, 2010, 10:37:51 PM

Everyone I know of on the west coast is pulling for the Rays and frankly I'd imagine that every non Yankees fan is a fan of them. Sadly they are up against a team that is in receivership and hasn't been to the playoffs in forever. Also I like the Rangers despite the Texas thing because I remember Nolan Ryan being a Ranger when I was a kid.

-William Gibson
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #26 on: October 10, 2010, 12:45:24 AM

I was rooting for the Rangers (I guess I still am!) because they at least have fans that give a fuck about them.

caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: October 10, 2010, 01:10:01 AM

I'm behind the Rays in this series only because, as an Angels fan, it's impossible for me to root for the Rangers unless they're playing the Red Sox or... well, I think it's just the Red Sox.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 01:12:08 AM by caladein »

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: October 10, 2010, 05:02:18 PM

Man what a series so far, I may not survive this.

EDIT: Also a special thank you to Brooks Conrad.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 05:05:12 PM by Ingmar »

Muffled
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: October 10, 2010, 05:18:27 PM

... Sadly they are up against a team that is in receivership....

We actually have owners again, Nolan Ryan and Chuck "The Money" Greenberg.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #30 on: October 10, 2010, 05:50:38 PM

EDIT: Also a special thank you to Brooks Conrad.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Fucking Brooks. We're on so many backups at the fielding positions, we're playing backups to backups. Ugh.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: October 10, 2010, 11:16:08 PM

EDIT: Also a special thank you to Brooks Conrad.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Yeah, ditto.  This series has been very intense.  Friend of mine went to the 49ers game today and they showed the very end of this game on the big screen before the football game started.  Stadium got very loud he said.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 08:24:57 AM by Teleku »

-Stephen Colbert
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: October 11, 2010, 12:23:50 AM

My condolences to your friend.  why so serious?

Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: October 11, 2010, 02:26:56 PM

-Stephen Colbert
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: October 11, 2010, 04:05:24 PM

The extra  swamp poop thing is he should never have been in there in the 9th inning in the first place, Atlanta could have put Diory Hernandez in as a defensive replacement once they had the lead.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2010 MLB Playoff's  
Jump to: