Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:43:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Superman Returns (Again) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Superman Returns (Again)  (Read 54167 times)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: April 11, 2011, 04:59:14 AM

No.  Didn't do it for Smallville, ain't doing it for some film that's likely to be shite.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #36 on: April 11, 2011, 08:52:01 AM

Zack Synder directing, Nolan producing, so might not be shit.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: April 11, 2011, 12:20:27 PM

I hate Superman.

It might be a good film, but it'll be shite.

why so serious?

MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: April 11, 2011, 12:42:20 PM

I don't blame you for hating him. He crushed your hand and tossed you into a pit.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: April 11, 2011, 03:16:32 PM

And he raped Lois Lane in the same movie.

True Story.

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: April 11, 2011, 04:44:53 PM

I always felt superman was a bit of a wank superhero anyway, he's got way too much going for him. Need a lot of water? Sure let me freeze a lake with my freeze breath and lift it with my super strength while flying it over to you. Got an army of crazed cyborgs? Let me melt them with my laser vision, or perhaps you would like me to crush them with my super thighs, or run them over with my super speed. A case of syphilis? No worries, I can cure that with my healing hands, or I can use my super brain to find a cure or blah blah blah.

Seriously, too much. The best superheroes are the most human ones.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: April 11, 2011, 05:02:03 PM

I always felt superman was a bit of a wank superhero anyway, he's got way too much going for him. Need a lot of water? Sure let me freeze a lake with my freeze breath and lift it with my super strength while flying it over to you. Got an army of crazed cyborgs? Let me melt them with my laser vision, or perhaps you would like me to crush them with my super thighs, or run them over with my super speed. A case of syphilis? No worries, I can cure that with my healing hands, or I can use my super brain to find a cure or blah blah blah.

I always thought it was the best superheroes are the best written ones.  Superman is probably the hardest to write for given his arsenal of powers. 

Red Son is pretty entertaining - what if superman had landed in Russia instead of Kansas, (Or to take it one further try Speeding bullets and have him found by Thomas and Martha Wayne.)

For the Man who has everything is also pretty good, I liked the Bruce Timm take on it from the animated adventures.

I'm sure someone will suggest some others, I don't really read a lot of superman stuff, because, his great stories are few and far between.

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: April 11, 2011, 05:10:37 PM

I always thought it was the best superheroes are the best written ones.  Superman is probably the hardest to write for given his arsenal of powers. 

That's really the problem I guess; it's hard to envisage a situation where the solution isn't a cop-out.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: April 11, 2011, 05:17:43 PM

Superman's problem is a living version of power creep. When he started off he was basically a really strong guy and very resilient (I'm not even sure if he could fly, just jump really far). But he was set up to be the ultimate hero, and as comics developed he basically started seeming very underpowered compared to the competition heros, so they kept adding more powers to him. Eventually he was so OTT they had to invent a weakness, so they added green rock which was something they could insert whenever they wanted and never could be very bothersome. But by the 1970s he was just ridiculous as they kept adding to his basic strength, so they drastically nerfed his power level (limited strenght, could only travel in space for as long as he could hold his breath, just about able to survive a nuke but it would leave him crippled etc) but did not remove all the rest of his added powers like laser eyes and freezing breath. Of course they have been slowly making him stronger again since then.

Hic sunt dracones.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #44 on: April 11, 2011, 07:56:48 PM

Grant Morrison's "All-Star Superman" has Lex Luthor basically poison Superman with too much sunlight. Superman is incredibly powerful, but also knows he's dying and goes around connecting with his friends / family. While doing superhero stuff of course.

I only read the first TPB, but it was pretty solid.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: April 14, 2011, 10:01:09 AM

Interesting idea. Kinda like that Dr Who episode where he killed a werewolf by concentrating a massive amount of moonlight onto it. "By it lives off moonlight!" ""Well you live off water but that doesn't mean you won't drown in too much of it!" The lines were something like that anyway.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 02:47:16 AM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: April 14, 2011, 04:17:09 PM

Superman could only jump really high at first.

You know, the whole "leaps tall buildings in a single bound" thing.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: April 16, 2011, 03:58:52 PM

Superman could only jump really high at first.

You know, the whole "leaps tall buildings in a single bound" thing.

Yeah, his power creep made me wonder about that line for a long time when I was a kid. "Why bother leaping? He can just fly over it?" It wasn't until I was older and read about his evolution that I got it.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: August 04, 2011, 01:01:30 PM

First image is out of Supes. I REALLY love the size of the chest emblem but I'm meh about the fish scale that they're putting all of the superheroes in now. Neckline and cape look good, although it's a little long. Also, good riddance to the boy shorts, they never look good on film.

Is it a bird, is it a plane? No, it's a huge image.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 03:28:48 PM by MuffinMan »

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: August 04, 2011, 01:14:10 PM

While the fishscale or other patterning can look a bit weird, I still think it's more plausible to see on a bodysuit type outfit than plain smooth fabric.  Somehow that just never looks right when you convert the look into real life.

Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: August 04, 2011, 01:27:42 PM

Actually it's a red X.  Ohhhhh, I see.

UGH fuck stupid fucking Comingsoon-dot-net and their popuppopupopupopupopupuopuopuoupoupoppppppp....

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: August 04, 2011, 01:29:06 PM

Actually it's a red X.  Ohhhhh, I see.

UGH fuck stupid fucking Comingsoon-dot-net and their popuppopupopupopupopupuopuopuoupoupoppppppp....

AdBlock much?

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #52 on: August 04, 2011, 01:32:55 PM

Superman suddenly became very grimdark.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: August 04, 2011, 02:51:25 PM

It's Snyder, so skepticism, to put it mildly, is where it's at.

But a Superman movie where he's both a boy scout AND he wrecks up a lot of shit fighting something powerful? Could work. Kind of the same character formula that Captain America got right, really: a really good, honest, cornfed American boy who doesn't want to hurt anyone but if you're a grade-A fucking bad guy who does bad shit? Get ready to eat knuckle.
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: August 04, 2011, 03:29:27 PM

Actually it's a red X.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Whoops. Put it on dropbox instead.

Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: August 04, 2011, 05:40:16 PM

AdBlock much?

This was with AdBlock.  swamp poop

Moar on topic tho, I actually am fine with this version. At least he has big boots again.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: August 04, 2011, 06:26:53 PM

First image is out of Supes. I REALLY love the size of the chest emblem but I'm meh about the fish scale that they're putting all of the superheroes in now. Neckline and cape look good, although it's a little long. Also, good riddance to the boy shorts, they never look good on film.

that is a badass superman.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: August 04, 2011, 08:51:30 PM

For some reason he looks like Will Arnett to me kind of.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Talpidae
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: August 05, 2011, 01:11:13 AM

I wish to God they'd just STOP with these reptile texture costumes.  They look like ass.

"LOOK HOW CLEVER ARE MY BALLS!" - Steven Moffat.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: August 05, 2011, 02:22:55 AM

fishscales  awesome, for real
its realistic see.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: August 05, 2011, 03:25:13 AM

Hair looks weird but otherwise pretty cool.  Maybe he punches something with the superpowers and the flying and the heat vision? Glavin.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: August 05, 2011, 06:51:30 AM

Yup this is my biggest problems with superman. Unless they go the cheese route of busting out kryptonite nothing is a challange for him and he can just roll over whatever he faces. So the inevitable use of kryptonite just feels cheap as it has to be done over and over and over again.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: August 05, 2011, 12:11:31 PM

Yup this is my biggest problems with superman. Unless they go the cheese route of busting out kryptonite nothing is a challange for him and he can just roll over whatever he faces. So the inevitable use of kryptonite just feels cheap as it has to be done over and over and over again.

That is probably why one of my favorite "recent" Superman comics is the Death of Superman. The doomsday fight didn't use any cheats as I remember it. He was just a character that was just as strong as Superman and it forced him to make a hard choice.

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: August 05, 2011, 12:59:20 PM

Best recent Superman comic is All-Star Superman.
And it shows him at full strength, too.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: August 05, 2011, 02:58:17 PM

Just finished with the trade paperbacks, yeah they are really great.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: July 21, 2012, 01:00:36 PM

Return (again!)

Is it a bird? Is it a Vimeo camera test? Is it a fishing documentary? No, it's the Man of Steel teaser trailer

Ohhhhh, I see.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: July 21, 2012, 01:47:21 PM

Dear God No.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: July 21, 2012, 03:08:22 PM

Why is Superman hitchhiking? He can fly....oh god he's blowing truck drivers isn't he?

You will believe a man can swallow.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: July 21, 2012, 03:37:31 PM

I did enjoy the actual flying bit, looked cool.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: July 21, 2012, 07:45:14 PM

The trailer didnt look bad...or good...looked like a teaser. lol crab fishing though....

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Superman Returns (Again)  
Jump to: