Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:44:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 155 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  (Read 1340841 times)
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #175 on: January 21, 2011, 12:57:00 PM

Which of course would have the "side benefit" of closing the used market hole which loses them about a billion times more money than any pirated games market.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #176 on: January 22, 2011, 03:02:24 AM

Just saw on steam that Deadspace 2 is 60 bucks.  Holy shit!

I just got a notice that Dead Space 2 had just shipped and was set to arrive on Monday.  I was a bit surprised as I didn't recall ever ordering the game.  Took me awhile to figure out that I had pre-ordered it last March when there was a $20 off code for the EA Store during PAX, and I had ordered it then.  Also the PC version was only priced at $50 at the time, so I only had to pay $30 total for it (plus tax, shipping was free and it should get here before the actual release day although I probably won't have time to play it for awhile).
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #177 on: January 22, 2011, 03:16:58 AM

Which of course would have the "side benefit" of closing the used market hole which loses them about a billion times more money than any pirated games market.

Console gaming is losing its point so very fast. Except for a super cheap Saboteur, I haven't bought a single one of these new code-crippled console games. 
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #178 on: January 26, 2011, 07:56:19 AM

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #179 on: January 26, 2011, 03:48:18 PM

The PSP2 is expected to be unveiled at a press conference Sony is having tonight (10pm PT).  1Up, IGN, Kotaku, and Eurogamer are all going to be live streaming the event.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #180 on: January 26, 2011, 05:44:55 PM

Well at least someone cares then.  why so serious?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: January 27, 2011, 06:31:26 AM

I see Direct2Drive is offering PC game "rentals" now.  $5 for 5 hours...

One of the many reasons I’m proud to work for D2D is the on-going commitment to better serve our customers and followers. Trust me if you could be a fly on the wall during our many brain-storming sessions you’ll walk away satisfied in knowing we take all your feedback to heart. So, I proudly announce our newest feature, Direct2Drive’s rentals. Starting today you can rent select titles for $5.00 that gets you 5 hours of play time. If you decide you want to keep the game, the $5.00 initial investment will be applied to the final purchase of the game. It’s that simple!

To start things off we have a few games for you to choose from Silent Hill: Homecoming, Grid, and Divinity 2.

I have no problems with digital purchases even virtual goods, but for some reason I can't get my head around rentals.  Maybe it's the fact that you can pick up full games for $5 on steam. 
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #182 on: January 27, 2011, 06:37:07 AM

I see Direct2Drive is offering PC game "rentals" now.  $5 for 5 hours...

One of the many reasons I’m proud to work for D2D is the on-going commitment to better serve our customers and followers. Trust me if you could be a fly on the wall during our many brain-storming sessions you’ll walk away satisfied in knowing we take all your feedback to heart. So, I proudly announce our newest feature, Direct2Drive’s rentals. Starting today you can rent select titles for $5.00 that gets you 5 hours of play time. If you decide you want to keep the game, the $5.00 initial investment will be applied to the final purchase of the game. It’s that simple!

To start things off we have a few games for you to choose from Silent Hill: Homecoming, Grid, and Divinity 2.

I have no problems with digital purchases even virtual goods, but for some reason I can't get my head around rentals.  Maybe it's the fact that you can pick up full games for $5 on steam. 

I've always been of the opinion that if I game isn't worth owning, it isn't worth playing.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #183 on: January 27, 2011, 05:20:31 PM

There are some games that are too short to pay full price for but are excellent games to actually play for their short duration. Those are the ones you rent, on consoles anyway.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #184 on: January 28, 2011, 09:51:39 AM

Or just buy it on steam sale. The interim time can also kill any buzz interest and save you the time playing it.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #185 on: January 28, 2011, 10:52:34 AM

Or just buy it on steam sale. The interim time can also kill any buzz interest and save you the time playing it.

Yeah, thats a big part of it.  Most of my desire to really buy a game comes from the hype train, I have to admit, whether it be here or elsewhere.  I do buy stuff on steam sale for cheap, but tons of stuff I  "almost" bought when it was new ends up getting passed on even when its like 5-7 bucks because I just don't care.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #186 on: January 28, 2011, 10:54:32 AM

Paid demos.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #187 on: January 29, 2011, 01:55:49 PM

That random Sims Medieval game is coming out in March apparently.

Sims 3 is also on Steam now, which irks me. I would love to have it on Steam, but even though it's super on sale ($90 for everything, so the base game + three expansions + their two stupid stuff packs, which is actually pretty good all things considered), I don't want it on Steam so bad I'd pay that much. :(

God Save the Horn Players
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #188 on: January 30, 2011, 02:30:22 PM

That'd completely kill me buying PS3 games as an additional "Side Benefit". Not that I bother to rent these days, but I give away older games that I no longer have any interest in - and was considering buying a second PS3 as a blu-ray player for the bedroom/to allow system link play for myself and my wife.

On a PS3-related note, I saw that Dead Space 2 for PC comes with a HD & Move-enabled version of Dead Space: Extraction, which seemed to get good reviews for Wii awhile back. Anyone have any first hand experience?

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #189 on: February 01, 2011, 01:47:39 PM

Kinda went under my radar that Dungeon Siege 3 is due out this year and is being developed by Obsidian (published by SquareEnix who bought the rights to the series).  This was apparently announced some time ago, but I hadn't heard anything about it until this week when a bunch of sites started putting up some hands-on previews.  Obsidian is developing this game using their own engine, called Onyx.  From the sounds of it there will be some people here who will be upset by the consolization of the game, as the demos were given on the PC but played with a gamepad, and the game is also being released on the PS3 and 360.  Overall though the game sounds pretty promising, although pretty much every preview I've read has been sure to note Obsidian's history of making good, but really flawed games.

PC Gamer's preview.
Eurogamer's preview.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #190 on: February 01, 2011, 01:52:06 PM

Obsidian does great stuff with story and characters and such, using other people's engines and tech. The idea of them creating their own engine is... yeah.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #191 on: February 02, 2011, 01:16:30 PM

Obsidian.  Wait and see.  Fan patch, maybe.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #192 on: February 02, 2011, 01:34:45 PM

Alpha Protocol was a technical disaster and that was barely off their usual rails.  This should be very interesting.

-Rasix
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #193 on: February 02, 2011, 01:41:01 PM

That random Sims Medieval game is coming out in March apparently.

Sims 3 is also on Steam now, which irks me. I would love to have it on Steam, but even though it's super on sale ($90 for everything, so the base game + three expansions + their two stupid stuff packs, which is actually pretty good all things considered), I don't want it on Steam so bad I'd pay that much. :(

I had that exact same thought when I looked at the Steam pack last night.  Maybe it will go on sale, err maybe more on sale. 

The Sims Medieval I'm oddly a little excited about.  I'm sure it will be absolute shite though. 
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #194 on: February 03, 2011, 04:41:33 PM

Hell fucking yeah.  Saint's Row 3 is coming out this fall.  SR2 is quite possibly my favorite game of the last few years, so it'll be nice to get another installment.  Here's hoping they don't fuck with the formula too much.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Trouble
Terracotta Army

Reply #195 on: February 04, 2011, 10:03:21 PM

SR2 is amazing.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #196 on: February 07, 2011, 08:59:34 AM

You mean on consoles, right?

Though I guess I should give it another whirl with the gtx460. But really, an 8800gtx should've been enough to knock a console game out of the park, gta4 ran good on it. Shitty sr2 port. Bah.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #197 on: February 07, 2011, 09:15:18 AM

SR2 PC has some issues for sure. My HD4890 had trouble running it on max.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #198 on: February 07, 2011, 09:42:00 AM

I'm not worried about running at max. I ran gta4 on the 8800gtx at 360 settings plus a few things (view distance mostly) bumped up. Even though I'm a graphics whore, if a game is fun I don't need it to be maxed out, I can play RIFT maxed out on my 460 but it's not fluid enough. For a game with shooting and driving, needs to run better. I spent maybe five minutes in SR2 with the camera wildly swinging around and the framerate doing a jig before I went back to whatever else I was doing.

And I had an awesome Cliff Burton avatar, too, dernit.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #199 on: February 08, 2011, 09:13:41 AM

SR2 with GTAIV car physics would have been my GotY.

Trouble
Terracotta Army

Reply #200 on: February 09, 2011, 02:16:36 PM

There are some pretty good third party fixes for SR2 to run with recent performance on the PC. I was able to get it running without a hitch.
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #201 on: February 09, 2011, 02:50:36 PM

Activision may have just pulled the plug on Guitar Hero...?

Link : here

At the same time, due to continued declines in the music genre, the company will disband Activision Publishing's Guitar Hero business unit and discontinue development on its Guitar Hero game for 2011.  The company also will stop development on True Crime: Hong Kong™.  These decisions are based on the desire to focus on the greatest opportunities that the company currently has to create the world's best interactive entertainment experiences.

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #202 on: February 09, 2011, 02:59:00 PM

Hopefully this eventually frees up the bands who were GH-exclusive.

Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #203 on: February 09, 2011, 03:09:54 PM

That was actually my second thought as well...   awesome, for real

The first being, "who's going to make a decent guitar now?"

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #204 on: February 09, 2011, 10:02:39 PM

wrong thread. ;p

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #205 on: February 10, 2011, 08:41:00 AM

There are some pretty good third party fixes for SR2 to run with recent performance on the PC. I was able to get it running without a hitch.
Links?
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #206 on: February 10, 2011, 02:01:16 PM

I've always been of the opinion that if I game isn't worth owning, it isn't worth playing.
I have plenty of games that aren't worth owning or playing, yet I own them anyway.   ACK!
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #207 on: February 10, 2011, 03:56:48 PM

I didn't know where else to put this, so I guess here will do

awesome, for real

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #208 on: February 10, 2011, 06:17:35 PM

I'll be in my bunk.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #209 on: February 10, 2011, 10:45:45 PM

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 155 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  
Jump to: