Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:10:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 155 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  (Read 1340912 times)
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #140 on: January 06, 2011, 12:51:39 AM

I feel a new kinship with the group.

lol.

'toshiba? lost some good men there'
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #141 on: January 06, 2011, 01:35:32 AM

The PS3 hack doesn't matter til you can run PS2 games, which may happen but is unlikely. Blu-Rays cost way too much, and downloading the ISOs is just dumb. So, uh, no one mentioned it because it's non-news to anyone that isn't a hacker.

I don't know - I found the entire thing somewhat fascinating, particularly the revelation that Sony seeded the keys with a static value, making it (relatively) easy for the fail0verflow group & Geohot to derive them mathematically.  The implications of pretty much anyone being able to sign and run code in the not-too-distant future are also of interest to me, as I'd love to see an XBMC-type conversion in a fairly inexpensive device with a easily replaceable hard drive, network connectivity, HDMI and a BD drive.

It's a fantastic example of the fact that getting crypto right is *hard* and small mistakes can bring down the entire house of cards.

schild: I don't think you're likely to see ps2 emulation on later generation ps3s -- Sony very clearly thought they could do it in software, fell back to an (expensive) hardware solution when they couldn't, and then later decided to just drop the feature entirely.  The ps2 is a serious pain in the butt to emulate well.  I wouldn't say it's absolutely impossible to do on ps3, but I am doubtful that a performant general purpose solution is doable without an absurd amount of effort, if it all.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #142 on: January 09, 2011, 06:12:14 PM

The PS3 hack doesn't matter til you can run PS2 games, which may happen but is unlikely. Blu-Rays cost way too much, and downloading the ISOs is just dumb. So, uh, no one mentioned it because it's non-news to anyone that isn't a hacker.

Heh, optimistic. Still, Sony will probably sell more hardware.

Main outcome is probably moving forward the release date for the next generation hardware.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #143 on: January 09, 2011, 09:28:13 PM

I wonder how much harddrive capacity the PS3's firmware can address. Even if someone popped out a custom firmware that let you just plop ISOs/Pirated PSN games onto the harddrive and run them with no modification, games are getting pretty goddamn big.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: January 10, 2011, 12:04:32 AM

Are they that much bigger than PC games? Because those are certainly getting pretty huge themselves and still readily available on torrents.

blue-ray burners are pretty affordable now though, and some of the commercial pirates are still keen on shipping dodgy disks around (admittedly mostly DVD). I suspect the main restraint on PS3 piracy will be that anyone who cares has a modded Xbox360 already.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: January 10, 2011, 01:21:42 PM

Nintendo 3DS warning: Just being honest, Nintendo exec says

Late last month, Nintendo posted a notice to its Website, warning that the forthcoming 3DS handset could cause children "under the age of six" to experience "a potential impact on the growth" on their eyes. Clearly this was not the most effective way to tout the 3D-capable successor to the Nintendo DS, which has traditionally been very popular among younger users.

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: January 11, 2011, 11:16:14 AM

I'm going to be much happier in five or ten years when every new game released can stop being compared to WoW.

"Diablo III?  It's kinda like Diablo II + WoW!"

"Rifts?  It's kinda like a WoW but Less/More/Better/Worse!"

ARRRRGGGGHH!!

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #147 on: January 11, 2011, 01:22:54 PM

I'm going to be much happier in five or ten years when every new game released can stop being compared to WoW.

"Diablo III?  It's kinda like Diablo II + WoW!"

"Rifts?  It's kinda like a WoW but Less/More/Better/Worse!"

ARRRRGGGGHH!!
Hahaha, only five or ten years?  why so serious?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: January 11, 2011, 02:54:32 PM

Blizzard's new game might be out in five...

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: January 11, 2011, 06:26:56 PM

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #150 on: January 12, 2011, 07:27:32 AM

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #151 on: January 12, 2011, 08:32:59 AM

I hear it's going to be kind of like WoW.
Can't imagine how it could be much different considering it's going to have both tanks and healers.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #152 on: January 12, 2011, 05:27:57 PM

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #153 on: January 13, 2011, 06:59:28 AM

Can I pray Dr. Ray fires his ass for not coming up with something new?

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: January 13, 2011, 07:01:42 AM

I don't get the angst.  What's wrong with getting the old Ultima's in a browser?

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #155 on: January 13, 2011, 07:42:20 AM

jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: January 13, 2011, 07:47:18 AM

As bad as the PB stuff got in the WAR days, he's surprisingly interesting now. Maybe there's hope yet.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #157 on: January 13, 2011, 12:09:21 PM

That's cute.  why so serious?

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #158 on: January 13, 2011, 07:12:18 PM

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #159 on: January 14, 2011, 08:15:30 AM

Sony's suing everyone related to the PS3 hacking. The restraining order against geohot is fun to read, as a ton of the evidence is forum and blog postings.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #160 on: January 16, 2011, 09:28:47 AM

Wasn't really sure where to post this, so I guess this thread will do:

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #161 on: January 16, 2011, 09:57:40 AM

hehe, funny and (unfortunately) true.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
schild
Administrator

Reply #162 on: January 17, 2011, 12:09:44 AM

More like fortunately true, every genre has to evolve.

Took the industry nearly 20 years to top A Link to the Past in Demon's Souls and it was worth the wait. I can wait for the next MMOG that breaks free the chains of Ceauşescu.

/congo joke
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: January 18, 2011, 11:20:08 AM

Holy crap Steam coming to the PS3. If you buy the PS3 version of portal they are including the PC/Mac version as an activation. Also the save games on your PS3 will be stored in the steam cloud so you can play a save from PS3 on PC or vice versa.

Chat and multiplayer will also be cross platform  awesome, for real

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #164 on: January 18, 2011, 02:07:04 PM

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #165 on: January 19, 2011, 03:56:42 AM

A few useless snippets of news here:

Remember when the Final Fantasy brand used to mean something?  SE recently held a conference to show off a number of Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts related projects.  I'd link the trailers but SE decided to have them all removed from YouTube, because we didn't stay up all night to watch the live stream of the event and thus don't deserve to see them.  Anyhow, they showed the renamed Final Fantasy Type-0 (the PSP game formerly known as Final Fantasy XIII Agito, which was also formerly supposed to be a cell phone game when it was announced back in '06).  The Kingdom Hearts 3DS entry also received a new name, Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance (you know because it fits in with the whole 3D thing, along with the recent trend of KH games having bizarre names).  Final Fantasy Versus XIII got a new trailer that actually showed off some gameplay, which was apparently very Kingdom Hearts-ish, but still no release date in site.  

So with Vs. trying to edge out GT5 for PS3 Exclusive That Spent the Most Time in Development Hell, and Type-0 being, well... a PSP game,  SE apparently decided they needed another FF game.  To this end, they combined FFX-2 and FFXIII, and announced FFXIII-2 for the PS3 and 360, and then pretty much said fuck-all about it other than that Lightning is in it, and it's coming next Winter.  I don't think there's a lack of talent over at Square Enix, but there definitely seems to be a lack of focus.  The Final Fantasy brand isn't going to be revitalized by making a ton of spin-offs, sequels, or side projects (and no, it wouldn't be revitalized by remaking FFVII either, people just need to get over it).  That said, if they just cut out all the bad plot and character stuff from XIII and just reuse a lot of the gameplay and art assets, which were quite good, there's actually a chance that FFXIII-2 might not be too bad.

On a completely unrelated and more positive announcment Taskmaster is revealed for Marvel Vs. Capcom 3.  Yeah, they also showed off Akuma, but I don't really give a shit about that since I can play as him in any number of Street Fighter games.  Like with M.O.D.O.K, fan reaction seems to be divided between "Fuck Yeah!' and "Who the fuck is that?".  I'd kill for pretty much any of the original Thunderbolts lineup, but so far I'm fairly satisfied with the announced roster of characters.  Hsien-Ko and Sentinel are expected to be the last characters to be announced due to a leaked list of characters.

Edit:  So as not to be completely negative about the Square Enix stuff, since I actually think there's potential for a good game to be made out of a lot of the work done on FFXIII.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 04:29:49 AM by Velorath »
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #166 on: January 19, 2011, 11:29:11 AM

I hope Lightning decides to leave law enforcement and enter the world of Rock-N-Roll.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #167 on: January 19, 2011, 12:58:29 PM

Nintendo's 3DS launches in the U.S. on March 27th, for $249.99.  European launch is two days earlier for £229.99.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #168 on: January 19, 2011, 07:09:46 PM

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #169 on: January 20, 2011, 07:03:32 AM

Nintendo's 3DS launches in the U.S. on March 27th, for $249.99.  European launch is two days earlier for £229.99.

Nintendo 3DS Preview

Face Raiders. Another built-in diversion. Take a picture of yourself or your (un)loved ones and shoot them up as you twist 360 degrees in an AR-esque shooter. It won't shake the "tech demo" vibe either, but given its free in-bundle status, we can't complain. Also helps that we spent the entire time blasting away Nilay's face, only have "boss Nilay" grow an afro upon defeat.

Steeldiver. Actually one of the more interesting launch titles, since it makes use of the 3DS's gyroscope. You turn your body to locate ships through a periscope, and then you fire upon them. One of the better-looking 3D games, for sure, although the effect isn't used for anything -- it's just there.

Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D and Street Fighter IV 3D Edition. Both games boast impressive graphics, and even 3D mode was well done -- we don't think it really added anything, but it certainly didn't distract. The games themselves were smart, fleshed-out recreations of their respective console equivalents, and the touch screen options were large enough that we could use our fingernails just fine for quickly changing weapons / activating super combos.

Madden NFL. We can't explain why, but the 3D effect here was just jarring. We couldn't seem to focus no matter how we twisted and adjusted the system, our eyes ever-suffering.

3DS hands-on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xkYifIewOM&feature=player_embedded

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #170 on: January 20, 2011, 08:52:03 AM

Holy crap Steam coming to the PS3. If you buy the PS3 version of portal they are including the PC/Mac version as an activation. Also the save games on your PS3 will be stored in the steam cloud so you can play a save from PS3 on PC or vice versa.

Chat and multiplayer will also be cross platform  awesome, for real

How is that useless? That's incredible.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #171 on: January 20, 2011, 03:49:09 PM

Just saw on steam that Deadspace 2 is 60 bucks.  Holy shit!
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #172 on: January 21, 2011, 07:05:23 AM

I'm betting it has sequelitis and so I'll wait for a price drop.  I refuse to believe it can be better than the first one, even after playing the demo.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #173 on: January 21, 2011, 07:27:35 AM

Just saw on steam that Deadspace 2 is 60 bucks.  Holy shit!
I was noticing this trend. Black Ops and DA2 are also $60, just going off their rotating banner.

Crazy.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #174 on: January 21, 2011, 12:10:14 PM

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 155 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  
Jump to: