Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:46:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 155 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  (Read 1340870 times)
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

on: September 30, 2010, 10:23:45 AM

I think Velorath had the idea for this thread a while back, but I'll go ahead and do it.  Not everything should have it's own thread I suppose.

Beyond Good and Evil getting an HD remake.

This is great.  I've been wanting to replay and finally finish this game but didn't feel like hooking up my Gamecube, buying a wireless GC controller for the Wii, or using keyboard & mouse for the Steam version (has no gamepad support).  Great game that just oozes style.  Also has one of my favorite soundtracks.

-Rasix
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 10:53:29 AM

That's good news since I missed it the first time, but was always curious.  I'm looking forward to replaying Stranger's Wrath in HD too.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 11:07:03 AM

I played it a few years ago, but I never got what was so good about it. Bad? Not at all. But somehow deserving of a cult following? Not really. Some parts are really obnoxious.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 12:46:00 PM

I enjoyed the hell out of it. Will I buy a HD version? Maybe. Depending on price. I'm glad they are doing this though. Very underrated game.
Rasix

Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 01:46:37 PM

I played it a few years ago, but I never got what was so good about it. Bad? Not at all. But somehow deserving of a cult following? Not really. Some parts are really obnoxious.

Heh, I'd say most games with a cult following have their obnoxious parts.  Some of the encounters (at least one chase and stealth sequence) I remember as a source of frustration.  I just remember it being a very unique and stylish game.  I had a lot of fun, but don't really remember why I ended up putting it down before I finished it.   Maybe I did finish.. I'm getting old.

-Rasix
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 01:55:26 PM

Wasn't the reason it got such a following was because it was a decent/good game that was doomed to never have a sequel right after launch?
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 02:10:49 PM

Supposedly a sequel is still being worked on.

In other news, the 3DS has been announced for a Feb. 26th launch in Japan and a March release for U.S. and Europe.  So far the only price that has been announced is for Japan, at 25000 yen (around $300), which is a little bit pricey.  I'm not generally interested in handhelds, but I hope they get some demo units in stores since I'm curious to see what the 3D is like (plus Nintendo really needs to get them out there for marketing since you can't really just put game trailers up online for games with a heavy 3D emphasis).
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 08:22:21 AM

Not everything should have it's own thread I suppose.

Very true.  Is this mostly for Game News that's too niche for the general rabble?  Want to get a handle on the intent before I begin to do my "thing".

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Rasix

Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 02:44:28 PM

Not everything should have it's own thread I suppose.

Very true.  Is this mostly for Game News that's too niche for the general rabble?  Want to get a handle on the intent before I begin to do my "thing".

Too niche works.  General intent was for stuff that doesn't generate enough noise on it's own to warrant its own thread.

Vel said it pretty well in another thread:

Quote from: Velorath
Personally I'd love to have a "useless gaming conversation" thread to just throw random news into that maybe doesn't need it's own thread, or to talk about stuff that might not fit into the "what are you playing" thread.  Sort of like what noisegrid was like, but without having to go to a different site, and deal with all the tag stuff.

Go nuts.  Just not Shockeye nuts.

-Rasix
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 07:52:16 AM

Agreed. I bought it expecting something incredible, but instead found a passable title with a few good strokes.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 02:10:32 PM

Toys R Us will be running its annual Buy 2 Get 1 Free deal from the 10th to the 16th.  Medal of Honor is the only big release in that period, although Dead Rising 2, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, NBA2K11, FIFA 11, and Enslaved: Odyssey to the West have all gotten decent reviews.  Not sure if this deal is running outside the U.S..

Panasonic recently announced that they are getting into the handheld gaming market.  Apparently a decade and a half was all it took for them to get the failure of the 3DO out of their heads.  Here's the short debut video.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 03:50:33 PM

Demon's Souls is Atlus's best-selling game ever. To celebrate there will be Pure White tendency Oct 7 & 18 with the rest of the month being Pure Black.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 04:36:08 PM

Heart

Playing a female thief right now. Maybe my favorite yet. Daggers rock.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #13 on: October 07, 2010, 06:29:28 AM

Fable 3 launches in three weeks and I appear to be the only person who cares. I went in to Gamestop to get a preorder, asked for the deluxe version. The lady looked at me and said that they haven't been able to take preorders for the deluxe version for over a month. So she processes a preorder for the normal version.

I'm a little confused by all of this, until I look at the reciept and realize she thought I asked for the Fallout deluxe version. I explain to her that I asked for Fable - "Oh, that game. Oh yea, you can get a deluxe preorder on that one, no problem". I believe she then rolled her eyes slightly.

When I was at PAX, the average wait to play a hands-on demo of any given game was 30 mins to 2 hours. I walked up to where they had Fable 3 running, looked around and asked someone "where's the lineup for Fable 3"? He advised me that he was the line. Five minutes later I was playing the game.

Oh well, at least I'll enjoy it.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: October 07, 2010, 06:36:27 AM

Fable 3 launches in three weeks and I appear to be the only person who cares. I went in to Gamestop to get a preorder, asked for the deluxe version. The lady looked at me and said that they haven't been able to take preorders for the deluxe version for over a month. So she processes a preorder for the normal version.

I'm a little confused by all of this, until I look at the reciept and realize she thought I asked for the Fallout deluxe version. I explain to her that I asked for Fable - "Oh, that game. Oh yea, you can get a deluxe preorder on that one, no problem". I believe she then rolled her eyes slightly.

When I was at PAX, the average wait to play a hands-on demo of any given game was 30 mins to 2 hours. I walked up to where they had Fable 3 running, looked around and asked someone "where's the lineup for Fable 3"? He advised me that he was the line. Five minutes later I was playing the game.

Oh well, at least I'll enjoy it.

I'll be on Fable 3 like stink on shit. 

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #15 on: October 07, 2010, 06:40:32 AM

Fable 3 launches in three weeks and I appear to be the only person who cares.

I hope you're not surprised by this. Given Molyneux's track record it's a given people would be hesitant about Fable 3 living up to anything he says. That being said, I'll be playing it because I hold out hope for this kingdom running segment. If he screws that up or it's an after thought, I'll probably never believe a damn thing that man says ever again.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #16 on: October 07, 2010, 07:19:52 AM

I don't xbox, but I'll play Fable 3 on PC if they release Fable 2 on PC.  Which is not likely to happen.  Though, I had fun with 1.
PkProjects
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: October 07, 2010, 11:18:31 AM

It's been so long between fable 1 and 2, and now they're releasing 3 shortly after. I can hardly imagine this game having a that much improved gameplay, look or different functions for that matter. I'll wait till it's released and get some reviews and gameplay vids before actually buying.

"Atheism. The belief that there was nothing and nothing happened to nothing and then nothing magically exploded for no reason, creating everything and then a bunch of everything magically rearranged itsself for no reason what so ever into self-replicating bits which then turned into dinosaurs. Makes perfect sense."
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: October 07, 2010, 12:55:56 PM

What's that you say? You want to be a hero to the downtrodden but don't own a ps3/360? You wish to wear the thong of justice even with your gaming systems being limited to the pc? Steam has you covered, soon to be heroes!

Yeah, Deathspank coming to Steam in about 2 weeks, as well as another game called Shank which appears to be a side scrolling game along the same comedic lines as Deathspank. I don't know how good Shank will be, but for those that missed it...pick up Deathspank (most likely want to use a controller for it though as I don't think I'd want to play that with a kb/m).
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: October 07, 2010, 01:25:50 PM

Fable 3 launches in three weeks and I appear to be the only person who cares.

Looking forward to Fable 3 as well - both of the others were greater than the sum of their (sometimes janky as hell) parts for me, despite not having as many parts as initially promised.  With Fallout New Vegas coming out the week before, it may have to wait a bit before I get to play it, though.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #20 on: October 07, 2010, 01:31:17 PM

Silicon Knights announced their next game.  Rather than a sequel to Eternal Darkness or Too Human, it looks like they're making an X-Men game.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #21 on: October 07, 2010, 01:34:36 PM

I am not to be trusted to comment since I liked Too Human.

Rasix

Reply #22 on: October 07, 2010, 01:35:25 PM

Yah, that's the only thing that may keep me from being day 1 with Fable 3.  I had a lot of fun with both Fable games.  They're never going to make my all time list, but I had enough fun for about a play through and a half for each one (stalled out on my evil tries both times).

But with Fallout: NV.. it's Obsidian.  The chances of it requiring 200% more system than advertised and being a buggy shitpile are pretty high, especially with an engine that's somewhat of a pig already.  I'll be waiting at least a week if not more on New Vegas, despite my love for everything Fallout.

-Rasix
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #23 on: October 07, 2010, 02:28:33 PM

It's been so long between fable 1 and 2, and now they're releasing 3 shortly after. I can hardly imagine this game having a that much improved gameplay, look or different functions for that matter. I'll wait till it's released and get some reviews and gameplay vids before actually buying.

Based on what I played at PAX - noticibly improved graphics on the characters and a fully voiced main character are two of the major differences. They are also going on and on about how many of the interactions actualy involve physically interacting with the other "actor" rather than just dancing in front of them.

Oh, and aparently further improvements to the multiplayer options - to the point that you can marry and have kids with another player.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #24 on: October 07, 2010, 02:31:05 PM

Am I the only one who sees Fable slowly converging with Second Life?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #25 on: October 07, 2010, 02:43:41 PM

But with Fallout: NV.. it's Obsidian.  The chances of it requiring 200% more system than advertised and being a buggy shitpile are pretty high, especially with an engine that's somewhat of a pig already.  I'll be waiting at least a week if not more on New Vegas, despite my love for everything Fallout.

I promised myself to wait until the GOTY is out for it.  No matter how awesome it is...
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: October 07, 2010, 02:56:51 PM

I don't understand the lack of general interest in Fable 3.  I enjoyed 1 and 2, and 2 was vastly improved over 1.  Even if 3 is just a new story and otherwise pretty much the same as 2, worth it as far as I can tell, Fable 2 was a pretty good game (except for some of the minigame shit, but eh).  I mean, sure, it might not have lived up to whatever the hell it was that was promised (I didn't really pay much attention) but it was definitely a good game.  I've played through it at least 3 times.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #27 on: October 07, 2010, 03:08:08 PM

I found 1 bad enough that I wasn't interested in trying 2 or 3, personally.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #28 on: October 07, 2010, 03:14:10 PM

I liked Fable 2, just not enough to where I feel I need to pick up 3 right at release.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: October 07, 2010, 04:19:46 PM

I don't know if it'll be a day one purchase, but I'm looking forward to Fable 3 simply so I can play my daughter.  The one whose favorite location was the Temple of Evil and her favorite toy was a teddy bear. Heart

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
ffc
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: October 07, 2010, 08:41:38 PM

Twice I tried to get into Fable and twice I failed.  I come in all smiles ready for action rpg goodies and the game ends up grating on me.  2's "co-op" was my final lesson and I have no desire for a threepeat.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #31 on: October 08, 2010, 02:18:19 PM

I was so proud when I passed my evil and childish genes on to my first daughter. Her favorite thing was my evil laugh.

Then my son came. And he was moron who liked to eat chocolate. Not an evil bone in his body - I was so disappointed.

patience
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: October 08, 2010, 03:55:27 PM

Someone throws down a list of their biggest concerns for companies or their business ventures that are going to fail (without a dramatic course correction) and collapse hard.

1. Codemasters
2. Miniclip
3. Shouldn't have bothered wasting a slot IMO
4. Virgin Gaming
5. Trion Worlds
6. OnLive
7. CCP's Dust 514
8. 38 Studios (the details about their shenanigan in this one ended up infuriating me slightly)
9. GAME (Boutique Retailers in general)
10. Kotick's Dream of Subscriptions for CoD

I kind of feel bad I haven't heard about a third of these companies till now especially Miniclip.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 03:58:03 PM by patience »

OP is assuming its somewhat of a design-goal of eve to make players happy.
this is however not the case.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #33 on: October 09, 2010, 12:36:56 PM

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: October 09, 2010, 12:41:53 PM

This is random, but does anyone know anything about Borderlands DLC?  I haven't bought any of it, and I'm gonna wait for a Steam sale (I know there was one recently, so it might be a while) either way, but I just reinstalled the game on a lark and am having fun with it again, so was wondering if any of the DLC adds a lot.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 155 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  
Jump to: