Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:48:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  (Read 1340858 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #5320 on: October 04, 2022, 09:33:32 AM

CDPR teases project in development: https://www.ign.com/articles/cd-projekt-red-new-games-witcher-cyberpunk-polaris-canis-majoris-sirius-orion-hadar

The five games are:

Orion - "A codename for our next Cyberpunk game, which will take the Cyberpunk franchise further and continue harnessing the potential of this dark future universe." Orion will be developed by a brand new CD Projekt studio set up in the US.

Polaris - "A codename for the next installment in The Witcher series of games, which we recently announced was in pre-production. It is the beginning of a new saga: we aim to release two more Witcher games after Polaris, creating a new AAA RPG trilogy." The full trilogy is intended to be released "in a six-year period".

Canis Majoris - "A full-fledged Witcher game, separate to the new Witcher saga starting with Polaris. It will be developed by an external studio headed by experienced developers who have worked on past Witcher games." It's not currently clear which developer is working on this project.

Sirius - "A codename for the game developed by [The Molasses Flood], set in The Witcher universe and created with support from CDPR. It will differ from our past productions, offering multiplayer gameplay on top of a single-player experience including a campaign with quests and a story."

Hadar - "A codename for a third, entirely distinct IP, created from scratch within CDPR. The project is in the earliest stages of the creative process, which means we are not developing any game yet, but working exclusively on the foundation for this new setting."

I really liked 2077 despite its flaws, but a new studio spun up to create the next one makes it less exciting until we see who and what that means. Polaris is probably the only entry I'm cautiously optimistic about, the actual new Witcher game from CDPR proper.

Canis Majoris just sounds weird, like a Gwent side-game type thing, maybe? Hadar isn't even a thing at this point, so? Sirius does not sound like a thing I'd be interested, just based on the dev and multiplayer-forward aspects.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #5321 on: October 04, 2022, 12:11:26 PM

I will be shocked if any of those see the light of day.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #5322 on: October 04, 2022, 12:19:19 PM

Overwatch 2 releases and goes live.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #5323 on: October 04, 2022, 12:25:18 PM

Overwatch is dead; long live Overwatch!

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #5324 on: October 04, 2022, 03:03:51 PM

I really liked 2077 despite its flaws, but a new studio spun up to create the next one makes it less exciting until we see who and what that means. Polaris is probably the only entry I'm cautiously optimistic about, the actual new Witcher game from CDPR proper.

2077 is the kind of game I really want a sequel to.  It's a neat setting with lots of fun ideas, but the first game has lots of room to improve.  Compared to something like Subnautica or Shovel Knight, where they nailed it pretty hard on the first try and any sequel is going to have a hard time doing anything other than just being "more of the same."
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #5325 on: October 04, 2022, 04:28:54 PM

I will be shocked if any of those see the light of day.

First 2 have a fighting chance. I'd love to see another Cyberpunk game. Despite the actually game being underwhelming, I did mostly like what I played. This could be a Fallout New Vegas to Fallout 3 situation (best case scenario, new studio could shit the bet, who knows).

Other 3 seem like fever dreams.

-Rasix
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #5326 on: October 04, 2022, 06:34:40 PM

Overwatch 2 releases and goes live.
5 seconds in and i'm pissed as fuck

"20000 players ahead of you" get the fuck out of here blizzard you cockmongers.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #5327 on: October 04, 2022, 06:45:29 PM

double fuck:  there's no mystery heroes.  maybe it's a rotating mode in the arcade?

probably not though, because matches would come down to which side gets double tank first.

edit: weird, they moved it from arcade to non-competitive.  w/e, into the fun we go
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #5328 on: October 04, 2022, 06:56:58 PM

it's pretty.  i guess that's nice.

it actually seems more responsive too, but that might be that "new game feel"
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #5329 on: October 04, 2022, 07:00:34 PM

what in the chocolate covered fuck

i'm probably spoiled by deep rock galactic but i am genuinely nonplussed that easily 70% of the battlepass is locked behind premium.

is this some kind of fucking joke
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #5330 on: October 04, 2022, 07:09:22 PM

That's the "price" for having the game be free -- it's loaded to the gills with "micro" transactions.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #5331 on: October 04, 2022, 07:16:41 PM

the new push mode is... interesting?  haven't figured that out, we'll see i guess.

doesn't leave you queued in the mode after a match, which is odd.  why change that
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #5332 on: October 04, 2022, 07:39:17 PM

There are still no tanks.  Oh there are characters they label as tanks, but they're just DPS with larger hitboxes and healthpools.

voice lines seem all new.  mostly an improvement?  not a fan of the new pharah but w/e

gun sounds are pretty good.

I'll get used to the new map graphics, but they're too... I'm not sure I can describe it.  Too blended?  Too softened?  Something. In any case, I like the crisp OW style over the more colorful/pastel/softened OW2 style.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #5333 on: October 04, 2022, 07:47:51 PM

jesus fuck a half supported roadhog is very very difficult to kill.  his ult actually does a thing now too.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #5334 on: October 04, 2022, 08:28:59 PM

you need a phone number to play overwatch 2.  if your phone is pre-paid, you can't play overwatch 2..
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #5335 on: October 05, 2022, 08:47:28 AM

It is honestly pretty amazing how game companies have never figured out how to roll out a new service.  Every other type of software company has had to figure out how to make this work sometime over the last couple of decades, but here's Blizzard, one of the most successful game companies in the world, trying to flip the big switch on OW2 all at once and having it instantly fall on its face.  I'm sure it'll all be fine in a week and everyone will forget about it, since basically every game launch goes like this, but I don't know how the engineers who work for these companies aren't incredibly embarassed about being associated with these amateur hour shenanigans.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #5336 on: October 05, 2022, 09:37:17 AM

Overall impression:  We waited 3 years for this?
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #5337 on: October 05, 2022, 04:30:41 PM

Don't mean to sound mean, but who waited 3 years for this? Since the announcement there hasn't been a single video that wasn't hugely underwhelming. It has been clear since the get go that this was just a big patch, not a new game in any meaningful way. It is so true that they even barely really call it Overwatch 2, in many parts of BattleNet and in the shortcut on your desktop this shows up simply as "Overwatch".

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #5338 on: October 05, 2022, 05:20:16 PM

Some people are waiting for Story Mode to be released.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #5339 on: October 05, 2022, 05:51:33 PM

Checking the OW Heroes release list:

https://overwatch.fandom.com/wiki/Heroes#List_of_Heroes_by_release_date

For OW Blizzard released, after launch, 11 heroes in ~4 years. OW2, which was announced 3 years ago, launched with only 3 new heroes.
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #5340 on: October 05, 2022, 06:34:42 PM

Here' some "interesting" responses from the developer community regarding Google axing Stadia:
https://www.pcgamer.com/stadia-game-developers-had-no-idea-google-was-killing-stadia/

And just for grins, from that article, the Google family graveyard:
https://killedbygoogle.com/

Why would anyone ever trust Google again?  Seems like they are about as trustworthy as Russia!

It's been a long long journey from the beginning of the century when their corporate motto was "Don't be evil".

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #5341 on: October 05, 2022, 07:35:50 PM

Why would anyone ever trust Google again?  Seems like they are about as trustworthy as Russia!

I mean, sure, but did anyone trust them this time?  "6,277 abandoned projects is understandable, but 6,278?  THAT'S TOO FAR!"

While I'm not really comfortable with cheering at people's failure, I'm kind of glad Stadia didn't take off.  The internet already siphons a lot of power away from consumers, and I'm not super happy about products which are furthering that trend.  I suspect that's more delaying the inevitable, though that might just be my pessimism talking.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #5342 on: October 06, 2022, 03:21:34 PM

Yea, I don't really know anyone personally or online who was excited for Stadia. Even those who thought the general idea had merit expected, well, exactly this to happen because of Google's track record.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #5343 on: October 06, 2022, 04:50:14 PM

Stadia dying reminded me that I think I still have an Infinium "I believe" t-shirt from E3 2004, and apparently those are going for like fifty bucks on ebay now.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #5344 on: October 11, 2022, 09:18:20 AM

It's kind of insane. We learned this: people want the music they want in the way they want it, they don't want it by the album unless the creator is fucking amazing and can deliver a whole coherent album. But the industry (and most artists) learned the wrong lesson, which was "they just want to steal everything, crush it all". Then Jobs comes along and says "look, see, people will pay money if you just give them the music the way they want it". Only he gets socked with DRM and his own control-freakery so that if you buy iTunes shit it's locked up on their device (which they stop supporting eventually) and the expectation becomes "if you want to 'own' it, we'll make you rebuy it constantly". So then we all say ok fine, we'll buy a streaming service. And then they just balkanize up again and fight what people want.

You tell me the price of listening to everything I want to listen to is a lot, if we want people to get paid off? I might be down with that. Might be better than some of the shit I pay for. You want to tell me that it's a lot but oh wait we just lost half the licenses or oh wait we have this degraded fucking technical standard that makes the music sound like shit or wait you have to listen to ads first despite this costing a lot? Fuck all of you. You paved paradise and put up a parking lot.

I know this is a late response, but Jobs didn't want DRM in the iTunes store catalog but the rights holders demanded it be included to gain the license so Apple put it in.

As Trippy mentioned, once Apple got to the point that they were the primary revenue stream for new music sales for a lot of the recording industry they bacsically said "yeah we aren't going to do the DRM anymore" and the recording industry caved because they didn't want to lose the revenue. They then added, at the same time, the ability to pay for iTunes Match which would go through your library and give you an iTunes version of every song you had, regardless of if you got it legally or no, that you could download onto multiple devices. That service is now rolled into the Apple Music subscription. I know several people who had collections full of 128k mp3s they got off Napster that got 192k aac files for all of them through that program. That service is kinda like money laundering for pirated music, in practice.

By then, almost all devices that supported .mp3 playback were also supporting .aac playback so the "you have to own an apple device" thing was largely moot as well.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2022, 09:21:50 AM by Chimpy »

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #5345 on: October 14, 2022, 11:01:48 AM

NVIDIA is "unlaunching" the 12 GB 4080 because the naming is too confusing.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/12gb-4080-unlaunch

As I wrote earlier the 16 GB 4080 should've been the 4080 Ti and that would've solved this issue. No idea why NVIDIA didn't do that.

RTX 4090 (24 GB) $1599
RTX 4080 16 GB $1199
RTX 4080 12 GB $899

The RTX 4080 16 GB really should be the RTX 4080 Ti since it has a lot more CUDA cores than the RTX 4080 12 GB. I.e. you are paying $300 for ~22% more CUDA cores as well as the extra 4 GB of RAM.

RTX 30 series price reference:

RTX 3090 (24 GB) $1499
RTX 3080 Ti (12 GB) $1199 (release price), $899 (current price)
RTX 3080 (10 GB) $699
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #5346 on: October 14, 2022, 11:24:18 AM

The 30xx stuff is so fast, hard to imagine paying so much more for the 40 series.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #5347 on: October 14, 2022, 12:02:01 PM

Are there even games where the difference is noticeable at this point?  It might be that I've just fallen completely out of touch with AAA gaming but I haven't upgraded anything in five years now and nothing I've played in that time has made me feel like I've got outdated hardware.  The only thing that even makes the fans spin up is poorly written web apps.  

It used to be that about three years after building a new computer I'd feel the need to upgrade the video card and/or memory, and about three years after that I'd bite the bullet and get a whole new box.  But that was back when it felt like games were making giant technological leaps every couple of years.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #5348 on: October 14, 2022, 12:13:56 PM

The (current) 4000 series is for 4K (60 fps+) and/or ray traced gaming.

As for is it noticeable, yes it is. E.g. Games like Control and Cyberpunk at 4K w/RT and maxed settings can not hit 60 fps stable with previous gen cards but can with the 4090 (DLSS may be required).
schild
Administrator

Reply #5349 on: October 14, 2022, 02:59:10 PM

That's interesting because Control is so optimized I'm pretty sure it'll run on a potato.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #5350 on: October 14, 2022, 03:03:14 PM

Sure, without RT on.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #5351 on: October 24, 2022, 07:26:12 AM

I haven't upgraded anything in five years now

This statement cursed me and my PSU died last week after a power outage.   awesome, for real

In the process of googling what to replace it with, I learned that the stock Aurora R6 PSU is widely considered to be a piece of garbage and often dies just after its warranty period regardless.

After replacing it, I learned that the occasional screen flicker I'd been seeing for years (always when switching browser tabs, never when gaming, so it was only ever very mildly annoying) and never found an explanation for was the PSU's fault all along.  It hasn't happened once since the operation; if I'd known that was the root cause I'd have dropped the $90 years ago.  So if you have an Alienware that's doing occasional weird shit and it's got the stock PSU, maybe give that a try.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #5352 on: October 28, 2022, 12:52:44 PM

Probably should avoid the 4090 and also likely the 4080 until NVIDIA and/or their OEMs fix the current* issue with the ATX 2.0 to ATX 3.0 PCIe 5 power adapters. The 4090 has the new 12-pin PCIe Gen 5 power connector** and NVIDIA and it's OEMs are providing adapter cables that fit the 6/8-pin ATX 2.0 PCIe power connectors to the new 12-pin design. However at least some of those adapters including NVIDIA's own FE edition provided adapter cable are badly designed / made and can cause the adapter to overheat frying the adapter and sometimes the power connector on the board itself.

The fault appear to be that the 12-pin connector uses 6 of those pins for power but the adapter has 4 wires going to it's end of the 12 pin adapter meaning 4 wires are providing power to 6 pins -- i.e. there's not a one to one match between power wires and power pins -- and the wires are soldered to the pins rather than crimped into barrel sleeves or equivalent. So it doesn't take much force to weaken the solder on either of the wires on the "outside" causing a resistance increase and temperatures high enough to melt / fry the adapter.

* Pun not intended

* The board itself is PCIe Gen 4 in terms of its interface to the motherboard but it needs so much power that NVIDIA went with the Gen 5 power connector which is designed to provide more power natively in a single connector than the previous gen connectors
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #5353 on: January 03, 2023, 08:01:48 AM

Diablo 4 has a release date for this year, and also will have a battle pass?
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #5354 on: January 03, 2023, 09:11:36 AM

Diablo 4 has a release date for this year, and also will have a battle pass?

Sincere condolences to the Diablo fans.  The battlepass nonsense absolutely killed Overwatch for me and if I had been looking forward to a new Diablo game this news would enrage me.

Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  
Jump to: