Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:47:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 155 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  (Read 1340883 times)
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4900 on: February 18, 2020, 11:50:52 AM

In other useless news and chatter, the silence about Wolcen here is deafening. I guess everyone is too busy playing it. I resisted as much as I could but no caving in was ever sweeter.
I'm waiting for the bugs and server issues to be fixed. I watched a streamer lose a bunch of stuff from a known bug that he thought was fixed with the patch that he just applied moving from Act 2 to 3. Felt bad.

Edit: add quote
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #4901 on: February 18, 2020, 01:08:14 PM

Eh, for me there's no appeal. When I'm not playing PoE, the last thing I want to play is another ARPG.

-Rasix
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4902 on: February 18, 2020, 02:11:04 PM

But it’s so shiny awesome, for real
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #4903 on: February 18, 2020, 03:11:49 PM

Wolcen really nailed ARPG combat and skill design, and everything else about the game is a horrendously bug-ridden clusterfuck. As a software engineer I almost feel guilty enjoying such a technically disastrous product. No ragrets though.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 04:59:54 PM by ezrast »
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #4904 on: February 19, 2020, 12:08:08 PM

I'm somewhere between Rasix and Trippy; burned out on the current POE league so I'm not feeling the ARPG itch. Certainly not enough to deal with 2004-MMO-style launch bullshit. If it holds up well enough in six months, I'll grab it on a Steam sale.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #4905 on: February 19, 2020, 12:32:29 PM

The issues are overrated. And eventual server issues (which I did not find at all) are easily sidestepped by creating an offline character for the time being. The game is worth it all.

EDIT: For fairness, this is another game that is only gonna get better, so the more you wait the better it will be even though whatever MMO-style launch disaster is probably already in the past.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 12:36:29 PM by Falconeer »

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4906 on: February 19, 2020, 12:35:54 PM

Not when there's a risk your offline character will be wiped due to bugs/crashes/etc.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #4907 on: February 19, 2020, 03:28:29 PM

The issues are not being overstated. Off the top of my head:
- There are two types of endgame upgrades that brick your account if you log off while they're in progress
- You can generate infinite gold by stacking and unstacking gems (stacking gems combines their gold rolls; unstacking gems doesn't divide the gold value back up)
- Exiting to the main menu crashes the game 100% of the time
- Two separate passive skills are 100x more powerful than they should be because someone accidentally a decimal point
- It's common for mobs or players to get stuck in unpathable areas
- Clicks on inventory items will randomly fail to register
- Tooltips are missing critical information; one skill upgrade gives you "a buff" and doesn't say what kind of buff.
- It's not clear which damage increase percentages are multiplicative and which are additive. Everything in the latter category is diluted to near-uselessness by your main stat bonuses.
- Too many skill interaction bugs to count: ES leech resets your ES to zero when it fills up; a supposed block -> crit conversion instead just sets crit to 100%; CDR doesn't work on some skills, etc etc etc
- Random crashes and animation locks in general

I've been playing the game all week and am level 60-something. I'm getting my money's worth and am going to keep playing it and having fun. I would buy it again. But Wolcen is absolutely an alpha- or early beta-quality product right now.
schild
Administrator

Reply #4908 on: February 19, 2020, 05:58:35 PM

The issues are not being overstated. Off the top of my head:
- There are two types of endgame upgrades that brick your account if you log off while they're in progress
- You can generate infinite gold by stacking and unstacking gems (stacking gems combines their gold rolls; unstacking gems doesn't divide the gold value back up)
- Exiting to the main menu crashes the game 100% of the time
- Two separate passive skills are 100x more powerful than they should be because someone accidentally a decimal point
- It's common for mobs or players to get stuck in unpathable areas
- Clicks on inventory items will randomly fail to register
- Tooltips are missing critical information; one skill upgrade gives you "a buff" and doesn't say what kind of buff.
- It's not clear which damage increase percentages are multiplicative and which are additive. Everything in the latter category is diluted to near-uselessness by your main stat bonuses.
- Too many skill interaction bugs to count: ES leech resets your ES to zero when it fills up; a supposed block -> crit conversion instead just sets crit to 100%; CDR doesn't work on some skills, etc etc etc
- Random crashes and animation locks in general

I've been playing the game all week and am level 60-something. I'm getting my money's worth and am going to keep playing it and having fun. I would buy it again. But Wolcen is absolutely an alpha- or early beta-quality product right now.

wait, which upgrades brick your account?

also, I can exit to the main menu safely 100% of the time

also, which passives? lol
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4909 on: February 19, 2020, 06:36:18 PM

Bane of Tyranny is one of the broken passives, as in at least one order of magnitude (if not two) stronger than it should be.

Edit: It is/was two orders of magnitude. Secure Parry is the other.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/424370/announcements/detail/3241965989316412073
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 06:41:13 PM by Trippy »
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #4910 on: February 19, 2020, 07:19:44 PM

wait, which upgrades brick your account?
Transmutation Forge and Dark Market. If you log out with an item being worked on you can't log back in, per many people on Reddit. I'm not sure if it affects offline play but I'm not about to chance it.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4911 on: February 20, 2020, 09:09:54 AM

3 gigs patch today might address some of those. I'll be honest, I elected to play offline so far due to what I've heard about servers. Maybe that's what made my experience so much better.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #4912 on: February 20, 2020, 01:35:22 PM

Things to make people like Sky (who don't play Nintendo games) interested in the Switch: Witcher 3 patched to have cross-platform saves with PC (apparently D:OS2 does this, as well?).

I could get behind a device that could let me play a few games untethered from the big screen (especially when the old lady is watching useless crap like the Dem debates). I don't think the switch is that device, but I like the precedents it's setting.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #4913 on: February 27, 2020, 07:22:27 AM

Looking for a game where I build and manage an adventuring party but don't have to play the combat piece. Like if Darkest Dungeon only had the town part.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4914 on: February 27, 2020, 07:51:49 AM

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4915 on: February 27, 2020, 08:19:20 AM

There's Rebuild 3: Gangs of Deadsville:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/257170/Rebuild_3_Gangs_of_Deadsville/

but it's light on the RPG elements and it's not fantasy-themed.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4916 on: February 27, 2020, 08:48:40 PM

Baldur's Gate 3 -- aka Divinity: Original Sin 3* -- gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9hU6UJX_pc

* Combat is D:OS2's turn-based combat rather than BG I&II's real-time with pause combat
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #4917 on: February 28, 2020, 03:39:22 AM

I mean, I'm happy because I like the Divinity Engine, the interactivity and the passion Larian puts into its products.

And yet, it's a bit jarring to watch the gameplay because it looks a bit too much like a "BG3 conversion mod" someone would publish in the D:OS 2 workshop :P . I'm mostly talking about the graphic palette, but specifically the items/armors. Unless they're placeholders, there are lots of item icons in the inventory that are straight from D:OS 2, and IMO that is a bit too much.

Now, they still have to reveal some features, and also we've already seen that the underlying mechanics are dictated by an adaptation of D&D 5th rather than the in-house divinity ones, so that's good.

Dialogue system...Uuh...it will take a bit to get used to.

Now, you could argue: "ok, but what about the gold box games? a dozen of them with the same toolkit, and same goes for the Infinity Engine ones! ". Sure, but they all started with the same game systems, mechanics, graphics, in-game lore and atmosphere etc. With this, moving everything (aesthetically wise) from D:OS and slapping the BG3 label on it gives me an "off" sensation, I don't know.

What I'm trying to say is: Ok, sure, I'll play another Divinity game, they're good. Uh? What do you mean "it's BG3" ?

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #4918 on: February 28, 2020, 06:38:15 AM

I was pretty happy to hear about a new Baldur's Gate sequel until I found out it was from the Divinity guys. I didn't like Divinity Original Sin at all so I'm going to hold off on this one.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #4919 on: February 28, 2020, 05:31:12 PM

Baldur's Gate 3 -- aka Divinity: Original Sin 3* -- gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9hU6UJX_pc

* Combat is D:OS2's turn-based combat rather than BG I&II's real-time with pause combat

The three weakest points for Larian for me are their stat system, their companion system, plotting, and their worldbuilding. I hope that the BG3 elements help them improve on this...

General feeling is they still go too hard on the naff over the top fantasy stuff out of the gate - tone doesn't feel at all BG, and there looked to be a bunch too many skills on those low level characters... but we'll see.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 05:46:06 PM by lamaros »
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #4920 on: February 28, 2020, 05:48:21 PM

BG3 is currently visually indistinguishable from Divinity: Original Sin, and that's very worrying.

I'm also not thrilled that Larian seem to be still leaning into having way too many environmental factors to deal with in combat, which was an utter nightmare in both Original Sin games, and leads to a large amount of metagaming you need to perform in order to not die horribly all the time.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #4921 on: February 28, 2020, 06:11:52 PM

They seem to be from the "more is more" school of thought.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #4922 on: February 29, 2020, 05:59:39 AM

I just watched the gameplay demo. The guy wiped his party in the very first battle. Fuck Larian's "distinct combat style." I've got no time for that.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #4923 on: March 01, 2020, 06:09:01 AM

I feel like games these days end up being complex for the sake of being complex, and it gets in the way of fun.  Divinity reminds me of this.  RDR2 reminds me of this.  Needlessly complicated, and often from the very beginning.  It isn’t that I can’t figure them out, it is because I don’t want to.

And it pisses me off, because I would otherwise very much want to play these games.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #4924 on: March 01, 2020, 06:49:03 AM

RDR2 didn't feel that way to me after a short bit. Larian's combat *never* gets intuitive or fun, it's always a micromanagement chore.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #4925 on: March 01, 2020, 05:10:36 PM

I feel the same way about crafting, but I seem to be in the minority there.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #4926 on: March 01, 2020, 11:01:17 PM

I dislike what most people think of as "crafting", probably for the same reasons.  There are exceptions.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #4927 on: March 10, 2020, 11:17:54 AM

DUDE

2k is getting back into the NFL game!! Non-sim for now (probably another NFL Street or similar arcadey thing), but EA's current license is to 2021, so...a few years to polish up the engine and we may FINALLY have a decent NFL game to play!

https://twitter.com/Ronnie2K

so moist rn
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4928 on: March 10, 2020, 12:04:32 PM

Never enjoyed any Football game as much as the early John Maddens' on the Sega Megadrive/Genesis. I've been wishing for the right one for 27 years now as the last one I really loved was John Madden Football 1993. I'll keep trying though, so this is good news.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #4929 on: March 10, 2020, 01:13:15 PM

Even if you prefer the modern Maddens (I guess some may?), competition should be good for it. EA has really slacked on a ton of stuff with no real compulsion to fix it. I'm an offline franchise player and they're all about MUT and microtransactions, adding shit like Two Chainz or whatever as guest players rather than fix things like being more or less unable to field a punt return inside the ten yard line.

2k could put out the worst NFL game in history and I'll buy it just to give them a sale...to hopefully crack the monopoly EA has had on the NFL license for 15 years now.

edit: and as someone who first played Joe Montana Sports Talk Football on the Genesis, I had thought I missed the sideline view of the field...Madden now supports that camera and...I don't :D
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 01:15:12 PM by Sky »
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #4930 on: March 10, 2020, 07:58:47 PM

If 2k comes back into the game with a first person football view, my pants will not be able to contain my joy.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #4931 on: March 18, 2020, 08:55:11 AM

Football Manager 2020 is totally free on Steam 'til March 25th (yep, one full week).

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4932 on: March 18, 2020, 10:48:34 AM

Sony’s PS5 “deep dive” GDC presentation: https://youtu.be/ph8LyNIT9sg
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4933 on: March 18, 2020, 11:23:57 AM

"Now the real fun begins..."

Presentation ends.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #4934 on: March 18, 2020, 11:35:50 AM

Sony’s PS5 “deep dive” GDC presentation: https://youtu.be/ph8LyNIT9sg

I really really want someone to do the MST3K treatment on this with the way this was recorded.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 155 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  
Jump to: