Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 09, 2019, 05:31:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
Donate! | Shop: Amazon
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter MrHat and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  (Read 572557 times)
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #4865 on: November 18, 2019, 02:52:02 PM

Weirder is better over here.

Steam tells me there is a Wasteland 3. I thought the consensus was that W2 was awful. Huh

Not on reddit, oddly enough. It seems to be revered. I thought it was a ugly, buggy, poorly designed mess that was made by a den of hacks. I wanted it to be better, and some part of me still thinks I should go back and try to finish it to maybe see if my hatred of nostalgia farming was clouding my judgment.

-Rasix
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #4866 on: November 18, 2019, 02:52:45 PM

Negative. 2 was very good. It just wasn't Wasteland from 1988.

EDIT: It helps to play the "Director's cut", aka the 80% finished version as opposed to the 55% finished version that was originally released.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 02:54:28 PM by Falconeer »

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #4867 on: November 19, 2019, 07:36:49 AM

I thought it sucked. The writing was fucking awful--it felt like a bunch of teenagers made it.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #4868 on: November 21, 2019, 08:29:03 AM

Got my Stadia yesterday, still no code (though it looks like I should get one by the weekend, according to reddit sleuths). Decided to start setup, it all runs off Google Home, I don't have any Assistant/Alexa/Siri crap in my house, so I'm already ready to return it. When I pre-ordered, it said I could get 1080p with my connection, now it's saying 720p. Also only works on Pixels and ChromeOS devices, though there is a workaround if you run Chrome in desktop mode on your device, sorry iOS users).

1. No codes at launch
2. 720p
3. Intrusive software installs
4. Hardware support limited to Google devices

I imagine they'll sort out device support and obv the codes is a temporary hiccup. But the shitty resolution (same as my 2003 tv) and software installs (really, you NEED location on to set up the Chromecast?) are both deal-breakers.

I knew going in that my connection was pretty iffy for this, but wanted to check it out (and play RDR2 on break at work). I forgot it was Google, so they'd want to digitally jizz all over my devices before allowing me to join in. Setting up the return today.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #4869 on: November 21, 2019, 08:39:32 AM

What kind of connection you have again?

I mean, I thought from the beginning that Stadia was essentially DoA, even if it is an interesting stepping stone.  But 720p....that's like back when I had a Voodoo 2 card running things.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #4870 on: November 21, 2019, 09:58:31 AM

10Mbps cable, with a couple real streaming hogs on my segment of cable. I can usually stream 4k/5.1 just fine, so I thought it wouldn't be an issue and that the initial test tool's 1080p result was just a conservative estimate. Woops.

I also felt it was DoA but I wanted to check it out anyway. Now I'm interested in which comes through first: my access code or my RMA.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4871 on: November 21, 2019, 11:12:41 AM

Just a reminder that MechWarrior 5 is coming out on December 12th. Unfortunately it's gonna be on Epic Store only. But hey, there's a new trailer. Where the most shocking thing is that after 10 years in the business they still haven't hired anyone at PGI who can make pretty UIs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5FWZYuyeDY

Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #4872 on: November 21, 2019, 06:23:38 PM

Trailer said Dec 10th.  I R CONFUSED!
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4873 on: November 24, 2019, 09:44:28 AM

Troubleshooter.

This game is on sale for another 24 hours on Steam, for 12 instead of the usual 20. As you can see the ratings are very high (around 91% positive).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoW5_C9LIco

https://store.steampowered.com/app/470310/Troubleshooter/

It is a very good Korean XCom. Everything plays as you'd expect for it to play out of XCom at least for the combat part, but with an extra emphasis on flashy skills and equipment (there is loot, with random stats) due to its anime-like nature and the completely optional multiplayer element. The theme is weaker, it's some mild cyberpunk stuff where you are basically mercenary-cops fighting criminals in future Korea. Tp be fair, it feels much more like an RPG as you have a cast of protagonists instead of infinite random soldiers.

If you like turn-based games of the XCom kind, minus the setting and with a fraction of the production value, this is a lovely surprise.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4874 on: December 03, 2019, 06:25:23 PM

Wildermyth is amazing.

It's an RPG with very light tactical combat on a grid.

What's unique, on top of the beautiful visual style which imitates a boardgame, is the way the stories are told. Your party is created randomly (although you can reroll it as many times as you want) and given a number of semi-secret personality traits. These personality traits contributes to tell the stories of their relationships with each other and with the character they encounter. It is hard to describe what happens and why it is so nice, after all it's all designed to be very quick and very light, but what it achieves is impressive. I don't think I've ever cared so quickly about randomly generated characters with randomly generated personalities. They have dialogues and they are told through vignettes where every single piece of gear you give to your characters or every single disgrace that happens to them (mutilations, sickness) is shown on the figurine.

Too many word to describe a very special little RPG that mixes in an unprecedented way randomly generated content to handcrafted content. In short, the characters are randomly generated, the stories are handcrafted, and the interactions are the result of the combining of these two aspects. It is not a sandbox, and the stories are not infinite so I wouldn't swear on its replayability, but every turn on the strategic map has its own tiny story bit involving your characters and combat doesn't take more than 10 minutes per scenario, so there's a distinct "one more turn" effect.

And then your characters start to grow old and retire or die, and your legacy continues with the next generations, rivalries, and romance. So basically you get some Crusader Kings in this, too.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 06:27:14 PM by Falconeer »

Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  
Jump to: