Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:23:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 155 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  (Read 1340971 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #4830 on: October 11, 2019, 06:50:44 AM

Any chance the 7 Days to Die guys are close to release on this thing? I haven't played since I think A12 just waiting on the release.
You've missed some fun stuff that ended up not being release worthy but was fun af! Something about the game just clicks with me.

But yeah, I actually thought this might be labeled the RC. They brought on a bunch of folks a couple alphas ago to lock a lot of things down and clean it up for a modern release.

Can they stop tinkering and adding stuff? I don't care, honestly.  why so serious? I'm closing in on 500 hours, so I'm already good.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #4831 on: October 11, 2019, 08:57:51 AM

The Epic Store is partly-owned by Tencent, which is mostly owned by the evil bastards Chinese government. Also, the Epic Store has been bribing developers to have store exclusives that include games people actually want to play. Some people don't want to give the Chinese government anymore money than we have to, even indirectly, and some of us hate the fucking idea of store exclusive games because fuck you, I want to play the way I want.

Tencent has their hands in a lot stuff so good luck trying to avoid them. I guess it's a good thing that most people here burned out on Conan Exiles already since Tencent just bought a chunk of Funcom.

Luckily for me, since I quit both LOL and Conan Exiles, none of the rest of the shit on that list has even remotely been a factor other than Ubisoft (5%) and Paradox Interactive (5%). Most of Ubisoft's games are the same shit regurgitated these days, but I do play a lot of Paradox games. 5% isn't too bad and likely doesn't have much effect on the company. Discord is the only other thing on that list that I use and there's just not a way to not use that.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #4832 on: October 11, 2019, 09:12:22 AM

The Epic Store is partly-owned by Tencent, which is mostly owned by the evil bastards Chinese government. Also, the Epic Store has been bribing developers to have store exclusives that include games people actually want to play. Some people don't want to give the Chinese government anymore money than we have to, even indirectly, and some of us hate the fucking idea of store exclusive games because fuck you, I want to play the way I want.

I play PoE a lot so I'm already fucked for this.  So I really don't mind robbing them of free games.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #4833 on: October 11, 2019, 09:34:19 AM

Any chance the 7 Days to Die guys are close to release on this thing? I haven't played since I think A12 just waiting on the release.
You've missed some fun stuff that ended up not being release worthy but was fun af! Something about the game just clicks with me.

But yeah, I actually thought this might be labeled the RC. They brought on a bunch of folks a couple alphas ago to lock a lot of things down and clean it up for a modern release.

Can they stop tinkering and adding stuff? I don't care, honestly.  why so serious? I'm closing in on 500 hours, so I'm already good.

Looks like Alpha 18 might be swinging the pendulum back over more to my preferred playstyle, so I'll drop back in and log some more hours.

However, this gem:

"In A18 we added a Physics Master system that lets the player’s computer that threw the item spawn and run the item’s physics, so you get the same lag free throwing as a single player game and they will accurately hit other players."

Really?? Cue the aimbots!!!

Edited to add: Dang, it's still in the experimental branch. And I was getting all amped to play again, but now I'm going to wait.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 09:52:37 AM by Mandella »
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #4834 on: October 11, 2019, 11:25:01 AM

I don't play multiplayer, so no big deal for me  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

It looks like they've been doing more data mining this time around to see how people are actually playing...but I feel that's skewed by design choices of each Alpha. For example, in A17 I was almost purely hunter/scavv, just mowing through POIs and running quests. But that's the first time I played that way that heavily, because they skewed the Alpha that way (the zed pathfinding and block dmg) and the amount of new POIs to check out.

We'll see, I've found a ton of fun in each Alpha by just going with whatever works and not getting too caught up in trying to do any specific thing.

I would normally wait for the non-experimental release of A18...but I'm on vacation in a couple hours, so....zombie bashin' time. I've wanted to mess with portable turrets since they teased them! And AoE melee? *swoon*
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #4835 on: October 11, 2019, 03:44:40 PM

I find melee to be more frustrating now, incoming hits don't sync with attack animations as well, and the 'enrage' thing is just annoying.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #4836 on: October 11, 2019, 04:10:49 PM

I play PoE a lot so I'm already fucked for this.  So I really don't mind robbing them of free games.

You don't need the Epic Store for that. why so serious?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #4837 on: October 11, 2019, 05:02:39 PM

Um, bribing developers to make platform exclusive games? You mean like Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo would never ever do?   Ohhhhh, I see.

I get the China government hate. Anything with the PLA's greedy and implacably evil fingers in it is doubly bad, which is almost everything these days. If you really want to lie awake at night, ponder the implications of Chinese ownership of most of the mid-tier food producers in America now (and everywhere else I'm betting?).

And it's much more logical to hate on Apple for bowing to Chinese pressure over Hong Kong, or Google for selling them all sorts of evil surveillance tools, or Boeing for allowing transfers of "commercial" aircraft technology in exchange for being able to sell in the Chinese market (as if military aircraft have different laws of physics), or WalMart for abandoning their made in America roots, or just on pretty much everyone in the world including your neighbors, family, and likely yourself, for being short-sighted, selfish, idiots who are willing to turn a blind eye to pretty much anything including slavery and genocide in exchange for getting their microwaves and jeans for a few bucks less.

But back to games, so honestly, if it takes a Chinese-owned company to break the grip of the current set of vampire "service platforms", more power to them. Right up until they end up becoming the same thing of course, but then what's the difference?  Meanwhile, GoG is still my favorite, but until Epic actually screws ME, I'm going to go with the selfish short-sighted massive majority and say if they give me games I like and screw the developers less than the others then they can have my money.

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #4838 on: October 11, 2019, 05:05:46 PM

You should be able to turn off auto-updates.

I thought so, I keep hearing about "offline mode", but I can't find it. My options for ARK under the Properties/Updates tab are "Always keep this game up to date", "Only update this game when I launch it" and "High-Priority - Always auto-update this game before others".

Can you point me towards where I might find the "don't touch my damn game until I ask you to" option?

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4839 on: October 11, 2019, 05:42:04 PM

Apparently there isn't. But there is a workaround(s):

https://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/521643320352527763/
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #4840 on: October 11, 2019, 07:55:24 PM

IIRC Skyrim has (had?) an option to not update unless I tell it to; I don't know if that's something that varies game by game, or just a featire no longer supported by Steam.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4841 on: October 11, 2019, 08:45:52 PM

They nerfed that option. There used to be an option to disable updates completely for a game (I had it set for one of my games).
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #4842 on: October 11, 2019, 11:13:37 PM

Um, bribing developers to make platform exclusive games? You mean like Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo would never ever do?   Ohhhhh, I see.

It's one thing if you do it for your walled-garden console - I don't like it but it's a practice that has become less frequent with each console generation. PC games should be storefront agnostic.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #4843 on: October 12, 2019, 09:17:36 AM

The problem with that analogy is that another storefront doesn’t cost you anything.  Well, your data may be bought and sold, but I think we are well beyond taking issue with that at this point.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #4844 on: October 12, 2019, 09:20:30 AM

They nerfed that option. There used to be an option to disable updates completely for a game (I had it set for one of my games).

I see that now. Maybe Skyrim gets around it by launching with a 3rd party client (like NMM).

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #4845 on: October 12, 2019, 09:42:15 AM

A number of games (Kerbal, Stellaris come to mind) you can opt in for "beta" access, which includes earlier versions of the game. Choose one of those and of course they do not update ever.

This would seem to be an option that the specific game devs choose to implement however, and not something that every game does. For instance, since for example something like Conan Exiles is a multiplayer game I don't think it's that easy to freeze updates on Steam.

But to answer the original question I can choose offline mode with one of the upper left menu dropdowns on PC -- or just try to run Steam with no internet connection and it asks if I want to go into offline mode.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #4846 on: October 12, 2019, 09:48:51 AM

The problem with that analogy is that another storefront doesn’t cost you anything.  Well, your data may be bought and sold, but I think we are well beyond taking issue with that at this point.

It costs me time and effort that I frankly do not have the patience to worry about. I have games on GOG, Ubisoft's launcher and EA's Origin and I have to remind myself that they are there because I launch my shit through Steam.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #4847 on: October 12, 2019, 09:53:27 AM

I get it, and at least mostly agree.  But if I really want to play something, I won’t stress over it too much.  That said, no way I will use it beyond those one-offs.  I think GOG is the only other installer I have on my machine besides Steam.  And, well, Oculus for a few VR things.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #4848 on: October 13, 2019, 12:03:01 AM

I want my digital PC stores competing for my custom through service and price, not through backroom deals that do nothing for me.

The publisher only stores are one thing, but I mainly avoid them anyway as EA and Ubisoft don't make games I give two shits about.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #4849 on: October 14, 2019, 07:48:52 PM

I find melee to be more frustrating now, incoming hits don't sync with attack animations as well, and the 'enrage' thing is just annoying.
Something is definitely up with mob attack animations and speed. The usual rhythm is way off, with mobs almost always landing a freebie if you don't back out before trying to hit. Weirdness.

Don't know if it's just the new newb bow, but aiming there seems a bit off as well. Normally I can get a feel if I'm high or low, but I'm getting none of that in A18. More weirdness.

Also, not sure if it's the unstable build or whatnot, but I had to pull textures back to medium. I've always run the game at Ultra. I can leave it all cranked but textures turn it into a slideshow.

Also also, I'm not sure how viable or interesting the game is for single players, since you're forced to make some really tough choices. I bumped a guy up to level 175 or so and had about 2/3 or the skills I had in A17...and the giveselfxp is capped, so the last couple levels took dozens of commands just to gain a level (and the command is something like a billion xp). So not only will you never get a well-rounded character for single player, your gamestage is going to be INSANE by the time you get there.

I like the new progression for the most part, just needs to be brought back a lot at the top end of the curve. They're clearly in multiplayer mode lately (forcing role choices).
schild
Administrator

Reply #4850 on: October 14, 2019, 09:10:34 PM

is this PoE?

i feel like that was always the case
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #4851 on: October 15, 2019, 05:34:33 AM

No, 7 Days to Die.

schild
Administrator

Reply #4852 on: October 15, 2019, 07:35:11 AM

Ah.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #4853 on: October 15, 2019, 01:17:57 PM

Melee got massively overhauled in PoE, it's less floaty.
7DtD went the other way.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #4854 on: October 24, 2019, 01:54:42 AM

In the days of Disco Elysium everything is a bit less exciting but FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKYEAHHHH!

(Persona 5 new something)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJjuJDoZOoY&feature=em-uploademail

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #4855 on: October 24, 2019, 07:35:55 AM

Goddamnit Atlus, JUST TAKE MY MONEY.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4856 on: October 24, 2019, 08:33:52 AM

There are ZERO chances this game won't be absolutely shit and unfun to play when it'll be released, but I want to support these people and a game that in a parallel dimension I'd like to play while sitting next to the fireplace of my cabin in the woods while the cats sleep by the window and it's raining outside.

The Book of Travels is a 2D MMORPG about traveling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzwZKQo0Y5s

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #4857 on: October 24, 2019, 08:41:49 AM

I'm not sure you'd be allowed to play that game without wearing a beret.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4858 on: October 24, 2019, 08:45:33 AM

I can certainly procure one by the time it's released, but you are right they should put one in as a stretch goal.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #4859 on: November 01, 2019, 09:56:33 AM

I didn't realize Death Stranding was built on the same engine as HZD. Some candy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQEPme0SXtQ
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #4860 on: November 04, 2019, 12:05:33 PM

I guess that was the video that finally convinced me to get Death Stranding, but not convinced to buy on release.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #4861 on: November 15, 2019, 09:54:18 AM

ExileCon starts today. More details on 4.0 and likely the entirely of 3.9 shown, which is supposedly a major release. 3.8 was considered filler.

Oh, and a free chance at MTX if you watch the Twitch stream with a linked account.

-Rasix
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #4862 on: November 18, 2019, 06:29:45 AM

We are all into Death Stranding. Wife says it is the weirdest thing she has ever watched me play, so now I can't play when she is not around.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #4863 on: November 18, 2019, 09:17:07 AM

We are all into Death Stranding. Wife says it is the weirdest thing she has ever watched me play, so now I can't play when she is not around.
Mine has the unerring ability to always arrive in the shittiest quality cutscene that goes on forever but has enough info that I don't want to skip or ignore it, and roundly begins mocking it and I don't disagree but then I'm trying to still follow what is going on...it's such an utter mess on top of an otherwise good game.

It's usually the scenes with Lindsay Wagner, ye gods she's terrible. Though the name DIE HARDMAN is also a contender for most mocked part of the game.

Doesn't help that she (the fiancee, not Wagner) hates weird anything.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #4864 on: November 18, 2019, 12:07:12 PM

Weirder is better over here.

Steam tells me there is a Wasteland 3. I thought the consensus was that W2 was awful. Huh

Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 155 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  
Jump to: