Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:44:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 155 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  (Read 1340825 times)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #4725 on: July 28, 2019, 04:46:51 PM

Two-men team working on this D'Souls clone cauld Bleak Faith. Asking 26.000 on Kickstarter (and not getting it so far).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT1_vbvGxoc

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4726 on: July 29, 2019, 04:58:20 PM

MechWarrior 5 delayed to December AND now an Epic Store exclusive.   ACK!

https://www.polygon.com/2019/7/25/8930718/mechwarrior-5-mercenaries-delayed-december-epic-games-store-exclusive

EDIT: According to them, they sold 20.000 preorders so far. I mean, before the announcement. They had 700 refund request after that.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 05:32:15 PM by Falconeer »

MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #4727 on: July 29, 2019, 05:55:03 PM

Epic Store exclusive.   ACK!

My interest level went from 100 to zero with that announcement.  C'est la vie.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4728 on: July 29, 2019, 06:37:49 PM

Timed exclusive.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #4729 on: July 29, 2019, 06:46:56 PM

Can the Epic Store just fuck off and die now?

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4730 on: July 29, 2019, 07:10:12 PM

Yes 1 year exclusive. And we all know that the game will be certainly better slightly lessl PGI-fucked 12 months later.

patience
Terracotta Army

Reply #4731 on: August 11, 2019, 09:35:24 AM

Last time I checked the Switch does everything the PS4 and the Xbox do but way worse. Except for portability of course. Meaning, if a game is also available on the Switch it runs and looks worse than the other consoles. And it's not even that cheaper cause you have to pay for a real controller immediately which is 70 dollars/euros. Unless that has changed, what's exactly to like about the Switch?

Load times.

OP is assuming its somewhat of a design-goal of eve to make players happy.
this is however not the case.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #4732 on: August 12, 2019, 07:33:08 AM

I might actually get into the Switch once Animal Crossing comes out. Breath of the Wild wasn't enough, somehow.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4733 on: August 12, 2019, 07:58:10 AM

Maybe cause it wasn’t a Zelda game.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #4734 on: August 12, 2019, 10:03:16 AM

It was and it wasn’t.  But BotW is a great game.  It just doesn’t scratch quite the same itch.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4735 on: August 12, 2019, 11:15:10 AM

Yup.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #4736 on: August 12, 2019, 11:24:23 AM

If anything, I'd have guessed that was a plus.

Chances are that I'm just too deep into simplifying my life to bother with two consoles. Also the boy is constantly using it, except when he is playing Persona 5.

Another piece of good news could be that I think the Switch has killed the DS.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #4737 on: August 12, 2019, 11:05:56 PM

It appears to have, yeah. 

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
schild
Administrator

Reply #4738 on: August 13, 2019, 05:40:05 AM

It makes sense. My only gripe with the PSP / Vita is that it was too damn small. It was like owning a less chonk game gear.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #4739 on: August 13, 2019, 05:56:03 AM

My main complaint with the Vita was that fucking back-touch-button shit, especially when it came into playing converted games such as Borderlands. Maybe if it fucking worked, I'd have been OK with it, but I just wasn't able to figure out where the hell I was supposed to tap or press. Fucking shit design. At least put some ridges on there and keep the button config restricted.

Also it always felt pervy to stroke the back of the unit.

But yes, a bit small and hard to grip.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #4740 on: August 15, 2019, 08:00:59 AM

So this is uselessly interesting. There's a Portal game on W10/Xbox that allows you to change the xbox settings (not normally exposed to the user) by changing the W10 settings and then firing it up on the console. And of course DF benchmarked it for lulz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oZsL-iV8TE
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #4741 on: August 16, 2019, 08:32:40 AM

That's kind of Portal-meta.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #4742 on: August 18, 2019, 11:20:06 AM

GameSpot
@GameSpot
Halo Infinite will have "AAA player investment experience" that includes microtransactions

http://bit.ly/2P16Rfg

I'm sure you will enjoy your Corporate Anal Contribution Experiance.

Hic sunt dracones.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #4743 on: August 19, 2019, 12:54:40 PM

Kerbal Space Program 2! I’m pretty happy right now.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #4744 on: August 19, 2019, 03:21:17 PM

Kerbal Space Program 2! I’m pretty happy right now.

Why?

So they can charge you full price for what should be an upgrade? So all the modders have to start over and learn an entirely new system? Are they really going to make it better, or just more gamey and "streamlined."

God I hate to use the term "cash grab," but, cash grab.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #4745 on: August 19, 2019, 03:33:20 PM

I could repeat all of the info that is currently available to you online but see for yourself. It’s not a retread.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #4746 on: August 19, 2019, 07:22:39 PM

I haven't been following KSP's development story - how has Take-Two been doing with it over the last couple years? Colonies could be amazing but I'm trying not to get too excited given that the first was a one-in-a-million success and the original developers seem to have dispersed entirely.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #4747 on: August 20, 2019, 08:59:13 AM

I could repeat all of the info that is currently available to you online but see for yourself. It’s not a retread.

First of all, I shouldn't rain on your parade if you are excited about it. It is quite possible I'm just being grumpy and entrenched in the experience I'm entrenched in. Gods know KSP could use an engine and graphical overhaul.

But the thing is I thought Squad was doing a fairly good job of working those things in to the original KSP, and I'm not sure doing a complete startover is a great way forward. Will Squad give up the original? Will we have two KSPs running by different devs now? I notice that Squad is not even credited in the trailer at all, and I have no idea who owns the rights to what now, or how well they are playing together.

I should note that my current KSP experience is ridiculously heavily modded, and in fact I play exclusively in the Real Solar System, so that also colors my perception. It will be years before anything like RSS is modded into KSP2, if ever. But that's just me, and if you mainly play vanilla style then all the stuff they are promising with the trailer (that modders added into KSP years ago) would be enticing.

Especially if it actually, you know, ran right without constant tinkering (and at a higher framerate than about 12)...
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #4748 on: August 20, 2019, 09:21:46 AM

So...Witcher 3 on the Switch? Interesting. I don't think the downgrades hurt it much, and even an action rpg isn't quite as vulnerable to stutters/slowdowns as a shooter (imo). I find it amazing they can even pull this off, if it's playable, it's a very compelling reason to own the console.

I mean, that's a lot of pooping. Don't get the roids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNcHI8mm9gI
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #4749 on: August 20, 2019, 11:06:12 AM

I should note that my current KSP experience is ridiculously heavily modded, and in fact I play exclusively in the Real Solar System, so that also colors my perception. It will be years before anything like RSS is modded into KSP2, if ever. But that's just me, and if you mainly play vanilla style then all the stuff they are promising with the trailer (that modders added into KSP years ago) would be enticing.

I've put 400 hours into KSP and I've even been dabbling in writing mods for it. I tell you this because what I'm about to write might seem overly negative and petty so let me assure you that I deeply love that game.

The original squad team were absolutely horrible developers and absolutely horrible at community management. That KSP pre 1.3 even works semi-reliably is almost a miracle and it pretty much needed at least a few mods to make the experience acceptable. They worked at an absolutely glacial pace and usually favored marginally expanding the gameplay over fixing critical progression blocking bugs or improving the experience. They relied on the community fixing their stuff for them via mods and then treated them like shit and mostly ignored their advice. There was a time where the most recommended mod package was basically bugfix mods fixing a lot of the crap squad couldn't be bothered to.

People like Ferram and others spent countless hours of their own free time making mods, analyzing the game and recommending bug fixes or improvements and were mostly ignored.

It took them three years to get out of alpha and KSP wasn't 'finished' until version 1.3 in 2016 and it took a reboot of development and assigning it to a different developer to 'un-break' the console versions and actually make them usable. Yet even to this day the game has major bugs (landing gears, wheels, glitches when the physics kick in after loading like the rocket jumping into the air, flipping over or spontaneously exploding etc.) and it runs on an ancient version of Unity. It took until 1.0/1.1 for them to make a working 64 bit client and before that the game constantly crashed because the 32 bit client kept running out of memory all of the time as soon as you did something more complex. The most popular mod at the time was a texture compression and memory management mod to keep the client from constantly running out of virtual memory and crashing.

The performance is also pretty horrible. Do anything that is the tiniest bit complex or has a higher part count and the simulation drops into single digit frame per second territory even on 2019 systems.

They also allegedly had horrible working conditions, bad management and abysmal pay and in 2016 most of their core dev team quit and as a consequence their producers did as well. I believe that, given the fact that for most of the history of KSP their website and forums were run by volunteers who had no association with squad. They also managed to drive away a lot of their core fans and modders. None of the original devs are to my knowledge still on board and they haven't been since they sold the IP to Take 2/Private Division in 2017.

The current dev team is basically a dev team 2.0 and they have been working on slowly un-breaking the game and adding missing features that the community had been asking them for for years. They are hampered by a shitload of technical debt, horrible code and lack of any meaningful documentation unfortunately.

We're now at a point - after 8 years of development - that the base game is actually playable without mods and most of the major bugs have been fixed and that is largely due to the efforts of that dev team 2.0 who took over after the original production team had left. The fact that KSP survived and is popular 8 years later is because of a community that deeply loves this massively flawed game

I know that it is a bit unfair for me to dunk on them like this but as far as I'm concerned KSP 1 is not going away and is actively being developed and I'd buy KSP 2 even if all they did was simply providing me with 'KSP but working as intended and without the horrible performance, bugs and ideosyncracies'.

But the thing is I thought Squad was doing a fairly good job of working those things in to the original KSP, and I'm not sure doing a complete startover is a great way forward. Will Squad give up the original? Will we have two KSPs running by different devs now? I notice that Squad is not even credited in the trailer at all, and I have no idea who owns the rights to what now, or how well they are playing together.

Squad sold the rights to KSP and all of the IP to Private Division in 2017 under the provision that they could continue developing the original KSP. This means that squad have no connection to KSP 2 and are still actively developing the original KSP. So we'll have two different versions of KSP being developed by two different developers going forward.

I should note that my current KSP experience is ridiculously heavily modded, and in fact I play exclusively in the Real Solar System, so that also colors my perception. It will be years before anything like RSS is modded into KSP2, if ever.

RSS, RP0 and Kerbalism rely on a lot of mods that are no longer being actively maintained for various reasons so if you like real solar system you're likely stuck with 1.6 for the foreseeable future anyway.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4750 on: August 20, 2019, 11:35:02 AM

The Cycle is out /UNFORTUNATELY AS AN EPIC STORE EXCLUSIVE/ and it's a pretty fun game as I mentioned about a month ago. It's free and worth a try. PvEvP that makes sense. Slices of MMORPG lite questing in a contested area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icxjNGxpNXQ

Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #4751 on: August 23, 2019, 10:35:21 AM

They also allegedly had horrible working conditions, bad management and abysmal pay and in 2016 most of their core dev team quit and as a consequence their producers did as well. I believe that, given the fact that for most of the history of KSP their website and forums were run by volunteers who had no association with squad. They also managed to drive away a lot of their core fans and modders. None of the original devs are to my knowledge still on board and they haven't been since they sold the IP to Take 2/Private Division in 2017.

The current dev team is basically a dev team 2.0 and they have been working on slowly un-breaking the game and adding missing features that the community had been asking them for for years. They are hampered by a shitload of technical debt, horrible code and lack of any meaningful documentation unfortunately.

We're now at a point - after 8 years of development - that the base game is actually playable without mods and most of the major bugs have been fixed and that is largely due to the efforts of that dev team 2.0 who took over after the original production team had left. The fact that KSP survived and is popular 8 years later is because of a community that deeply loves this massively flawed game

I know that it is a bit unfair for me to dunk on them like this but as far as I'm concerned KSP 1 is not going away and is actively being developed and I'd buy KSP 2 even if all they did was simply providing me with 'KSP but working as intended and without the horrible performance, bugs and ideosyncracies'.

Yeah, I am actually quite excited at the idea of a suitably skilled team (with folks with actual simulation background, etc) doing a ground-up rebuilt KSP.  They're reportedly overhauling the build system, etc (all those hated confusing component menus, etc, yuck!) and cleaning up and streamlining the UI/UX, and so on, as well as extending the game into interstellar and multiple star systems.  If they can do that and keep the general look and spirit of the original, more power to them and where do I send my money?

I feel bad for the original team -- who made a crappy bargain with the crappy management of the crappy company they worked for to try to pursue their dream project, which succeeded beyond all odds (and perhaps their ability to really manage) and they ended up with a raw deal -- but I am excited for a KSP that really works.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4752 on: August 24, 2019, 08:32:51 AM

The people who made Realm of the mad God, a shootery tiny cheap MMORPG, just released Steambirds Alliance. It's another shootery MMO, this time you are birds fighting in planes. Or bird planes, or steam birds, I am not sure. Anyway, it's a massively multiuplayer bullet hell game and I am enjoying it. If you like old shoot em up, take a look. Also, it is supposed to have a loot with random stats, but I was a bit underwhelmed by my loot after 30 minutes of playing, so not sure about that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAa2Ay3eVUQ

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #4753 on: August 24, 2019, 11:47:07 AM

The genre is probably "bullet hell", as far as combat.

I was glad to see that the planes look like planes because https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7ctLdnzofs

Or something similar. Close enough.

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #4754 on: August 25, 2019, 10:35:01 AM

I've put 400 hours into KSP and I've even been dabbling in writing mods for it. I tell you this because what I'm about to write might seem overly negative and petty so let me assure you that I deeply love that game.

The original squad team were absolutely horrible developers and absolutely horrible at community management. That KSP pre 1.3 even works semi-reliably is almost a miracle and it pretty much needed at least a few mods to make the experience acceptable. They worked at an absolutely glacial pace and usually favored marginally expanding the gameplay over fixing critical progression blocking bugs or improving the experience. They relied on the community fixing their stuff for them via mods and then treated them like shit and mostly ignored their advice. There was a time where the most recommended mod package was basically bugfix mods fixing a lot of the crap squad couldn't be bothered to.

People like Ferram and others spent countless hours of their own free time making mods, analyzing the game and recommending bug fixes or improvements and were mostly ignored.

It took them three years to get out of alpha and KSP wasn't 'finished' until version 1.3 in 2016 and it took a reboot of development and assigning it to a different developer to 'un-break' the console versions and actually make them usable. Yet even to this day the game has major bugs (landing gears, wheels, glitches when the physics kick in after loading like the rocket jumping into the air, flipping over or spontaneously exploding etc.) and it runs on an ancient version of Unity. It took until 1.0/1.1 for them to make a working 64 bit client and before that the game constantly crashed because the 32 bit client kept running out of memory all of the time as soon as you did something more complex. The most popular mod at the time was a texture compression and memory management mod to keep the client from constantly running out of virtual memory and crashing.

The performance is also pretty horrible. Do anything that is the tiniest bit complex or has a higher part count and the simulation drops into single digit frame per second territory even on 2019 systems.

Squad sold the rights to KSP and all of the IP to Private Division in 2017 under the provision that they could continue developing the original KSP. This means that squad have no connection to KSP 2 and are still actively developing the original KSP. So we'll have two different versions of KSP being developed by two different developers going forward.

I should note that my current KSP experience is ridiculously heavily modded, and in fact I play exclusively in the Real Solar System, so that also colors my perception. It will be years before anything like RSS is modded into KSP2, if ever.

RSS, RP0 and Kerbalism rely on a lot of mods that are no longer being actively maintained for various reasons so if you like real solar system you're likely stuck with 1.6 for the foreseeable future anyway.

Well if we're going to compare neckbeards, I was a frequent contributor to the Orbiter forums and a minor contributor to the modding scene when one of the original Kerbal devs (also an Orbiter contributor) started a thread inviting Orbiter players to come and check out the new space game he and a few friends were working on. It was basically just a launch sim at that point -- and honestly I wasn't even all that impressed (I was *really* into the "realism" of Orbiter).

Flash forward a few years and, deserving or not, that little side project the Squad devs were working on has become *the* space sim/game just about everybody in the business is familiar with, professional or amateur. And while it would have been nice if the original team had been a little more capable of handling that success, we got what we got and it is what it is, and modded with RSS it has replaced Orbiter as my go to space sim with countless hours put in.

So what does any of that history have to do with KSP 2? Hell if I know -- you brought it up. At this point with that "Not Actual Gameplay" trailer we have no idea if it's KSP done right or just some limited knock off with prettier graphics. Will it actually be more supportive of the modding community? No idea. Will the modders move over to KSP 2? Probably, but it will take years to catch up. Are they treating their devs better? Couldn't tell you.

So yeah, cautiously pessimistic would be my stance here. Good luck to them though.

Oh, and due to my mod list my current game is not even 1.6, but 1.4.5, and likely to stay that way for a while.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #4755 on: August 26, 2019, 05:05:50 AM

My issue is that Squad was an absolutely horrible developer/publisher and managed the project in such a way that basically all of the original development team up and left. KSP succeeded and flourished despite them not because of them. It also largely succeeded because of the passion and love the players had for that game. If it hadn't been for the active modding community and their tireless engagement we wouldn't even have a whole lot of things in the base game that we now take for granted. We'd still be stuck with the old aero and re-entry heating models for example (soup atmosphere) and there'd be no working 64 Bit client which is basically a base requirement for a mod package like real solar system/realistic progression/Kerbalism to even even work.

Dev team 2.0 has already stated that they don't intend to fix some of the remaining bugs because fixing those bugs would require a partial/whole rewrite of the client and this would simply be too much work with too much risk/too little financial gain and is also basically impossible due to the code base and lack of existing documentation.

Flash forward a few years and, deserving or not, that little side project the Squad devs were working on has become *the* space sim/game just about everybody in the business is familiar with, professional or amateur. And while it would have been nice if the original team had been a little more capable of handling that success, we got what we got and it is what it is, and modded with RSS it has replaced Orbiter as my go to space sim with countless hours put in.

So what does any of that history have to do with KSP 2? Hell if I know -- you brought it up. At this point with that "Not Actual Gameplay" trailer we have no idea if it's KSP done right or just some limited knock off with prettier graphics. Will it actually be more supportive of the modding community? No idea. Will the modders move over to KSP 2? Probably, but it will take years to catch up. Are they treating their devs better? Couldn't tell you.

I'm more optimistic than you. The pre-alpha gameplay looks promising, the developer has more experience and they've at least stated that it will come with more extensive mod support etc. Only the final game will tell though.

What has the history got to do with it? Well most of the current issues the game still has is technical debt which stems from how Squad managed the project (hire cheap novice developers and manage them poorly until they grow a backbone and quit) and fixing them would require an extensive rewrite of the existing code base, something the remaining dev team neither has the time, resources or money for.

My hope is that a KSP 2, developed and managed by a more competent developer/publisher team could both fix those shortcomings and maybe reinvigorate the modding community. Because right now a lot of the existing mods for KSP have been abandoned by their original developers for different reasosn, lack of support by and the problematic relationship between modders and Squad being a major one though. Simply look at the massive list of orphaned mods a guy like linuxgurugamer has taken over or how annoyingly difficult it has become to even run RSS and how many issues you still can run into.

My hope would be that we get an updated core game with an engine that can handle a significantly higher part count without crawling at a glacial 1 -2 fps, rockets flopping around like crazy or spontaneously exploding, working wheels and landing gear etc. and a modding interface that still lets people do stuff like RSS.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #4756 on: August 27, 2019, 09:41:55 AM

One can hope that 2 will be a good reboot. Certainly more polished. We'll see.

But on the subject of modders, yeah well every game/sim I have ever been involved with that had mods had the same modder problems. Kerbal, Orbiter, Minecraft, you name it -- modders come and go. They go to school, they leave school and get real jobs, they get families, they lose families, they get mad at the game, they get mad at the fans. Modding is unpaid work that quickly becomes a second job (although some of the "lucky" ones do manage to parlay their modding experience into actual jobs), and sooner or later that mod goes unsupported. Maybe someone will pick it up (thanks linuxgurugamer!) or maybe they won't. Maybe the user himself can make his own patches to keep it alive (thanks me!), or maybe he'll just learn to live without it.

But all the above is why I pick a version of a game/sim that has a good set of functional mods and just freeze it right there. Turn off all updates and just enjoy the run without worrying about compatibility for a while.

Then of course there will be an incompatible update of the underlying operating system, and we're back to square one again...
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #4757 on: August 27, 2019, 07:01:34 PM

Software development of any kind is a tough industry, and games is even worse. Nobody is willing to pay what it actually costs to develop good software, not the owners, not the suits, not the vc's, maybe not even NASA anymore, and most especially not the customers like you or me.

Yet there's so much money sloshing around, fortunes to be made (and lost!), that we get all the sleazebags trying to squeeze an extra buck for themselves, and that comes out of the customers' pockets, the developers' hides, and the vcs' bank accounts.  And we get (and buy) crap software because that's all there is.

It's a miracle any good games get made at all, yet every once in awhile a small team manages to make something truly wonderful. Sadly, they usually don't get to profit from it. Minecraft being the exception that proves the rule.

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #4758 on: August 28, 2019, 09:54:10 PM

I sent my Switch joy-cons into Nintendo due to the drifting problem on the left one. I had the system for a bit more than two years now and they completely replaced both with new controllers. No charge even though it was out of warranty.

The new ones feel pretty good and hug the system much better than the original ones.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #4759 on: August 30, 2019, 06:31:38 AM

That news is actually somewhat useful.

Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 155 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  
Jump to: