Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:48:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 155 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  (Read 1341090 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #4305 on: December 07, 2018, 07:51:58 AM

I actually went ahead and gave Magic Arena $5 for that one-time starter pack - 6 core set packs and 2500 gems. Figured it was too good a deal to pass up even though I didn't really get much out of the packs.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #4306 on: December 07, 2018, 08:07:53 AM

That one is a good deal.  I took it too when I started.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #4307 on: December 07, 2018, 11:37:03 AM

Far Cry New Dawn is going to be set in Hope County (setting for FC5). Some pretty fun looking stuff going on. Between this and Outer Worlds, Bethesda is going to be in a dogfight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjYyVjzV7qk
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #4308 on: December 07, 2018, 04:35:56 PM

I am never playing a Far Cry again. I don't care what anyone says about it.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #4309 on: December 09, 2018, 10:51:28 AM

Dauntless is in open beta now.  Has anyone given it a go?  It seems to be mostly a game where you beat up big monsters... I'm not sure but that might be about it. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4310 on: December 09, 2018, 11:13:06 AM

Dauntless is in open beta now.  Has anyone given it a go?  It seems to be mostly a game where you beat up big monsters... I'm not sure but that might be about it. 
Yes it's a game where you beat up boss-style monsters -- i.e. each monster or "behemoth" takes a while to kill. From what I've seen and heard about the game it's nowhere near as good as Monster Hunter: World which I already have so I'd rather just play that if I'm in the monster hunting mode. On the other hand Dauntless is free-to-play so give it a try if it sounds interesting to you?
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #4311 on: December 09, 2018, 11:23:58 AM

Yes, I dl'd it and killed a big monster and then a big monster killed me.  I was just wondering what you guys thought about it if you played.  I'm not sure I want to waste the precious time left in this world searching for something else to do.  Because my time IS precious.  Because I'm old.  And because I could get hit by a meteor or a bus at any time.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #4312 on: December 10, 2018, 04:13:03 AM

What's this Ashen shit ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #4313 on: December 10, 2018, 04:42:12 AM

A *Souls clone with no darkness, so no point.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4314 on: December 10, 2018, 05:40:55 AM

My favourite trailer/reveal of the Game Awards: Sayonara Wild Hearts - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiRNA78Md2c

schild
Administrator

Reply #4315 on: December 10, 2018, 07:33:33 AM

My favourite trailer/reveal of the Game Awards: Sayonara Wild Hearts - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiRNA78Md2c

eh

i'd rather just listen to The Midnight
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #4316 on: December 10, 2018, 11:20:20 AM

So little chance of this not being screwed up. 3rd person, open world survival in ancient africa. Great ideas, high concept, deep simulation, large publisher and fun are not things that tend to work out together. But it would be nice if it did!

Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey
schild
Administrator

Reply #4317 on: December 10, 2018, 01:39:33 PM

what the fuck did i just watch
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #4318 on: December 10, 2018, 01:59:02 PM

awesome, for real
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #4319 on: December 10, 2018, 10:29:23 PM

Well, an open world game where I am a primate that can't hunt, use tools or even build anything with my fledgling opposable thumbs....I mean, that's pretty realistic.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #4320 on: December 13, 2018, 10:24:06 AM

GOG has started their Winter Sale.  Free copy of LucasArts adventure 'Full Throttle' just for stopping by! 

It also has 24 hr flash sales.  Day one titles are mostly titles I'd never heard of.

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #4321 on: January 01, 2019, 06:56:03 PM

The new Star Control game from StarDock has been removed from Steam and GOG with a DMCA notice from the original creators.  Brad Wardell puts his spin on it here

https://steamcommunity.com/app/271260/discussions/1/1742229167221237036/

There's lots of back-and-forth, but from what I can tell, the original contract between the creators (Paul Ritche and Fred Ford) and Accolade had provisions to revert the rights back to the creators after a certain date (?2001?).  This contract want thru several buyouts and eventually ended up with Atari (Infogrames) who purchased an extension and permanent rights to "marketing materials" and made the unloved Star Contol 3.  StarDock bought these rights when Atari went thru bankruptcy in 2013. 

Here's the sticky bit.  It would appear that StarDock just bought the NAME.  The rights specifically did NOT include any aliens, ships, etc.  These had all reverted to Ritche and Ford, per the original agreement with Accolade.  Legal wrangling ensues over exactly what StarDock actually owns.  But while the courts are still deciding, StarDock put in the Zot-Fot-Pik as an easter egg, and then decided to release DLCs with the Arilou and Chenjesu.  At which point the original creators files DMCA takedowns on Steam and GOG.

Post your StarDock/Wardell hate below!

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4322 on: January 02, 2019, 11:13:06 AM

Wardell knew what he was doing was illegal but did it anyway and then had the temerity to claim he is the aggrieved party. Fortunately the courts aren't so gullible. On rejecting Stardock's request for an injunction on the DMCA claim against them the Honorable Senior United States District Judge Sandra Brown Armstrong wrote:

In view of the foregoing, the harm Plaintiff complains of is indeed of its own making. Plaintiff had knowledge of Defendants’ copyright claims from the outset. Despite that knowledge, it developed potentially infringing material without resolution of the IP ownership issues, and then publicized the release of that material during the pendency of this action. It now claims that its investment in Origins and reputation are on the line. Given that Plaintiff largely created the foregoing predicament, the Court is disinclined to extricate Plaintiff from a peril of its own making.

https://www.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.cand.320268/gov.uscourts.cand.320268.102.0.pdf
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #4323 on: January 02, 2019, 11:22:42 AM

I love sassy judges.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #4324 on: January 02, 2019, 11:50:26 AM

Goddamn but Brad Wardell is a sleazy, gaping dickhole.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #4325 on: January 02, 2019, 11:57:17 AM

I'm still never over Kael going to Stardock and shitting out a bland Wardell game.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #4326 on: January 02, 2019, 11:58:04 AM

FFH2 reference FTW!

Cthulu Beating a Dead Horse why so serious?
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4327 on: January 04, 2019, 08:03:41 AM

If anyone has a way to get me into the closed alpha of Amazon's New World, please hook me up. I'll pay in hugs, cheers and eventually stuff if you specify what kind.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #4328 on: January 04, 2019, 11:26:44 AM

Yeah me too.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #4329 on: January 04, 2019, 11:48:10 AM

About the product:

Join forces with scores of other players
I'm out.

edited to add: That said, if I can play a Mohawk brave that just raids player settlements, I'd check it out  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 11:50:16 AM by Sky »
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4330 on: January 04, 2019, 12:01:07 PM

It's supposed to be the first big western MMORPG sandbox since Star Wars Galaxies. Which incidentally also makes it only the fourth big western MMORPG sandbox to ever be released (IF it will be released), and the first in more than 15 years.
Chances of being a good game? Very low. Chances of being something I'll enjoy too much and will be remembering fondly in 2038? Very high.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4331 on: January 06, 2019, 03:25:05 AM

Crowfall is almost cool now. Can we move that thread from the graveyard to this board so I can write stuff in it not just for myself? I know a few here are curious about it.

schild
Administrator

Reply #4332 on: January 06, 2019, 08:25:27 AM

Crowfall is almost cool now. Can we move that thread from the graveyard to this board so I can write stuff in it not just for myself? I know a few here are curious about it.
you can write it here and make your case for nonsense
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4333 on: January 06, 2019, 12:22:22 PM

Shadowbane with less SB.exe and with more Raph Koster!

Anyway, I backed this game four years ago because Raph Koster, Shadowbane, and all that. I put a lot of money into it cause sometimes all the time I enjoy getting overexcited about games. After the first few tests I was quite disappointed. Of course it was pre-alpha, but I couldn't see even the roots of the things that were promised and what was there felt janky beyond repair.

It's now 2019 and while it is obviously still alpha, there is an actual game you can play with lots of the promised features already working.

The first sanctioned "campaign" just started which means we can create characters choosing between 10 races and 10 classes, choose a faction, enter the game world, and actually play for real. It is still very janky, but here are some of the few things I noticed, and mind that they are all in the game now, not just announced:

- There's a system of passive progression, a la EVE where you gain XP whille offlinel. A billion improvements you can pick from that flesh out your playstyle regardless of what character you are using. These advancements are passively active for ALL your characters, present and future ones. Like in EVE, it's like your characters are just simply your ships.

- Leveling up your character is satisfying as there's LOTS of aspects you can control, between talents and stats, way more than most MMORPGs. On top of that you have the discipline runes, exactly like in Shadowbane, that pretty much allow characters to multi-class to a degree and as in Shadowbane there's more than 40 to choose from. You can add healing to your warrior, archery to your druid, this kind of flexibility. You can mix and match as much as you like without having to commit, since disciplines are slotted with a rune that you can swap whenever you like (provided you have such runes).

- Gathering is very physycal, like a fight versus an inanimate object where the materials you gather explode out of the node for you to pick up as you bash it. It's not just for show though, since a huge part of the game is about collecting resources for PvP purposes the nodes that take longer to gather provide endless catalysts for PvP and gank/anti-gank teams. Some gathering nodes can't even be gathered unless two players are doing it together.

- Everything is crafting-centered. Nothing in the game is sold by vendor or created by the game except for very basic items. Everything else has to be crafted. And breaks constantly. As they promised, the whole game is just PvP. There are stupid mobs but they are there just to provide some materials and some xp. It really is like Shadowbane in this sense. The whole point is to play the PvP campaigns, which have a set timer (this one is a week long) and different set of rules.

- Crafting itself is a bit like SWG. There's room for a loot of uniquely crafted pieces of gear as you can choose to experiment by adding stats and increasing item difficulty.

- Seasons are in. Each campaign goes through the four traditional seasons with circumstances changing for everyone in the game world: for example, in the summer there are more resources to harvest, while less in the winter when the nights are longer which means tougher and more precious mobs (resource wise). Not sure what Autumn and Spring do but they do something.

There are also immense problems. It's missing a million things. It runs like ass. It looks bad. Combat is sad. And the net code is a mess. But for the first time after 4 years there is an actual game to play with honestly more features than I was hoping for. And now the long uphill battle towards polishing starts.

Don't touch it for another 12 months at least! It is NOT fun at the moment. But now that the actual campaign is running I went from "Why do I keep wasting my money? I have a problem" to "I'll be damned, this could actually work..."

schild
Administrator

Reply #4334 on: January 06, 2019, 12:52:37 PM

Don't touch it for another 12 months at least! It is NOT fun at the moment.

Case made. Thread resurrection vetoed.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #4335 on: January 06, 2019, 04:19:27 PM

I backed it too, and played it for like half an hour 6 months or so ago. Is there any point to logging in periodically to set skill training, or is everything getting wiped before launch?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4336 on: January 06, 2019, 05:36:30 PM

It's unclear. They said they were going to stop wiping with the "soft launch", but I doubt we are there yet. So no, probably no point skilling now if you are not playing through this stage. I wouldn't worry.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #4337 on: January 07, 2019, 04:41:23 AM

I ran away from this game once I realize how god awful combat was. Not because it was the unpolished pre-alpha jankiness of the whole thing. It's because the design of combat is fucking terrible from a design perspective. Is it still Third person view, LMB, RMB, keypress 1-8ish, and then an extra button or two for special stuff.

Not only that button mash 1 opens up a combo tree where you have a choice of Button 1 and E (or some other button) where you press 1 or E throughout the tree over and over.

Is it still that abortion of game design? Is it still amateur hour of game design from a game in 2005?
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #4338 on: January 07, 2019, 05:37:29 AM

It's unclear. They said they were going to stop wiping with the "soft launch", but I doubt we are there yet. So no, probably no point skilling now if you are not playing through this stage. I wouldn't worry.
Ok, thanks. I'm still interested in the game, but I don't have the time to play something like this when it's buggy and going to get wiped anyway.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4339 on: January 07, 2019, 07:15:45 AM

I ran away from this game once I realize how god awful combat was. Not because it was the unpolished pre-alpha jankiness of the whole thing. It's because the design of combat is fucking terrible from a design perspective. Is it still Third person view, LMB, RMB, keypress 1-8ish, and then an extra button or two for special stuff.

Not only that button mash 1 opens up a combo tree where you have a choice of Button 1 and E (or some other button) where you press 1 or E throughout the tree over and over.

Is it still that abortion of game design? Is it still amateur hour of game design from a game in 2005?

Honestly, the way I see it the combat is now very similar to every other Western MMORPG (so, bad), and miiiiiles behind every Korean MMORPG.
The point is, I dislike the same things you dislike here but I wouldn't say, net code aside, Crowfall's worse than TESO to mention a pretty succesful action and non-tab-targeting Western MMORPG. It's on par with Western standards, which while not my favourite I wouldn't call an abortion.

Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 155 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  
Jump to: