Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:26:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 155 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  (Read 1340972 times)
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #4025 on: March 14, 2018, 06:24:26 AM

Smash Bros is bleh?

Yes?  I still occasionally play the Wii-U version with my son and it's fine, but I don't really need a new one.  What new Nintendo characters could they possibly add?  Squid kid?  Some Arms character no one knows?  bleh.  If they really get crazy and get Alloy or Geralt maybe I'll warm up on it.

Supposedly there will be:

* A proper Fire Emblem game
* A proper Pokémon game
* Bayonetta 3
* A new Metroid Prime
* A new Shin Megami Tensei

This list I can get excited about, I'd likely buy all of those.

I want to get excited about Octopath Traveler but something about the look of it makes me unsure.  I don't really know much about it though.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #4026 on: March 14, 2018, 09:15:57 AM

I'm over Smash Bros. too, although that's as much a function of getting older and not hanging out with large groups of friends simultaneously as it is of anything on Nintendo's part.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #4027 on: March 14, 2018, 09:48:39 AM

"Free" games via Twitch Prime (Amazon Prime):

https://blog.twitch.tv/level-up-your-video-game-collection-with-free-games-with-prime-785fac856490?sf184412156=1

March games:
· Superhot
· Shadow Tactics
· Tales from Candlekeep
· Oxenfree
· Mr. Shifty

April games:
· Tales from the Borderlands
· SteamWorld Dig 2
· Kingsway
· Tokyo 42
· Dubwars

Oo, I'd been wanting to grab Superhot.

Also, I played Oxenfree when it came out and can recommend it.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #4028 on: March 14, 2018, 12:12:39 PM

Can't unsee Mr Shitty
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #4029 on: March 15, 2018, 02:00:40 PM

MechWarrior 5 teaser trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztqhTjLVfgs
Is it just me or do those graphics look extremely dated?

What's worse is they look a million times worse than the already out MechWarrior Online.  It's...puzzling.

Goodness.  Massive improvement.

https://youtu.be/sa043A2fjCY

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #4030 on: March 15, 2018, 08:09:24 PM

Have they released a mech list yet?  Because I saw a Rifleman and a several Shadow Hawk shots.  Which gets my hopes up for all the old mechs (Warhammer, Maurader, Crusader, etc.)

Those have a special place in my 15-year-old heart.

And yes, I know why they haven't been around for 30+ years.  But I'm still pumped to see them again.

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #4031 on: March 16, 2018, 10:14:20 AM

The meta-game/gameplay types is what's going to have to make this game stand out. I want there to be progression in my char (and hopefully squad mates) , a good salvage system, ability to fully mod my mechs etc. Mech combat is only half the fun. If it's just a single mech on the rails game (aka CoD style or something) this game will suck. Hopefully Harebrained's Battletech will scratch this itch.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #4032 on: March 16, 2018, 11:25:37 AM

They haven't released a list, but it's PGI and they do MWO which features the 'mechs you like.  I'd be surprised if any of that roster didn't come to this eventually.

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #4033 on: March 17, 2018, 06:33:36 AM

Fantasy Productions tried to use “Unseen” artwork after they acquired most of FASA IPs but ultimately deemed it to much of a risk. WizKids tried as well and Catalyst game labs tried to use original artworks and original designs for their 2009 BattleTech rerelease and 25 years of BattleTech art books and had to pull them. They “officially” retconned all Unseen imagery in 2015. Still due to the original settlement agreement between FASA and Twentieth Century Imports (which is still under NDA) and the copyrights and IP minefield Macross is to this day, with multiple companies claiming to own the IP and distribution/licensing rights for it. Harmony Gold for example still claims to own the exclusive rights to Macross outside of Japan and regularly issues cease and desist letters even though it is highly doubtful that they actually own any rights.

PGI never disclosed why they are able to use Unseen mech designs in their game. At the time it was speculated that it was either because of a new licensing deal (unlikely) or due to the fact that they modified the designs slightly so that they still resemble the familiar mech designs while being far enough from them to be considered original artworks. They promote them as Unseen mechs though and sell them for real money.

Catalyst Game Labs cited the unclear legal situation as a reason for them retconning the images in 2015. Largely retaining original features that make the mechs recognizable while at the same time being far enough removed from them to be considered original.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #4034 on: March 18, 2018, 10:55:00 AM

As far as I know PGI uses them because they believe they changed them enough and are willing to face legal challenge over it.

Also, more info here. Basically, the lawsuit-happy Harmony Gold does not seem to even own those copyright, which is quite the plot twist.

http://www.sarna.net/news/update-on-the-harmony-gold-lawsuit/

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #4035 on: March 18, 2018, 01:00:15 PM

All that aside, they'll be in the game because they're in MWO. 

It may take a few expansions tho.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #4036 on: March 21, 2018, 12:13:16 PM

I'm over Smash Bros. too, although that's as much a function of getting older and not hanging out with large groups of friends simultaneously as it is of anything on Nintendo's part.

I've been over Smash Bros for a long time, if I was even ever into it.  It does have a following, though, and I learned firsthand that it is part of at least some fighting game tournaments.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #4037 on: March 22, 2018, 01:27:18 PM

At long last, 1997's "Curse of Monkey Island" (IMO the best of the series, with a good mix of puzzles, story and general charm) is out both on Steam and GOG:

https://www.gog.com/game/the_curse_of_monkey_island
http://store.steampowered.com/app/730820/The_Curse_of_Monkey_Island/

Murray the Demonic Talking Skull, the pirate song, EL POLLO DIABLO and of course the orchestrated main theme of Monkey Island....great memories :)

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #4038 on: March 23, 2018, 03:15:48 AM

Hardcore fans of the series tend to dislike it but it's my favorite. I like it even more than 2. I still have the original CDs and the patches and I still play it every other year.

An absolute must buy for me on GOG
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #4039 on: March 28, 2018, 11:10:01 PM

I haven't played it, but I get the sense that Sea of Thieves is some kind of cultural phenomenon. I've seen two kids on the train watching videos of it, I passed a guy at work with it on his screen, it popped up in something else I was watching, and ... I don't even know much about it and the reviews don't sound that good, but these people are making it overlap into my world. I'd now recognise the Sea of Thieves water model anywhere.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #4040 on: March 29, 2018, 08:52:24 AM

I saw an ad for it. Not sure what the game is.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4041 on: March 29, 2018, 09:35:16 AM

There’s not much of a game there to know. Some people are going crazy over it cause it’s an Xbox “exclusive”, even though it’s also on the PC.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #4042 on: March 29, 2018, 10:06:15 AM

I was going to buy it but then realized how little content it hasand passed. It's just a super expensive Early Access.

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #4043 on: March 29, 2018, 11:01:50 AM

There’s not much of a game there to know. Some people are going crazy over it cause it’s an Xbox “exclusive”, even though it’s also on the PC.

You also have to be using Windows 10 to run it on your PC. 
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #4044 on: March 29, 2018, 11:23:10 AM

It's one of those poppy games that's fun to play with a few friends. No idea how these get teh zeitgeist, but the people I see talking about it are some artists who play stuff like GW2 and Overwatch.

It's a decent framework, but super, super limited in content and I doubt the existing gameplay would last long before getting old. Other than an excuse to hang out in a cool chat room shouting reef the sails to your friends?
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #4045 on: March 29, 2018, 11:32:06 AM

Sea of Thieves and Fortnite are both receiving immense attention right now and I have no idea why. 

I'm wondering if I'm just having a  Get off my lawn! moment.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4046 on: March 29, 2018, 11:44:03 AM

Xbox One is so starved for exclusives that it's basically Robot Jesus right for that crowd even though it's doesn't have much of a game.

Fortnite is the most popular of the relatively new Battle Royale genre which has turned into a very popular PvP game mode.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #4047 on: March 29, 2018, 11:50:10 AM

Fortnite is the most popular of the relatively new Battle Royale genre which has turned into a very popular PvP game mode.

I've played it.  I just don't get the hype.  It's a cartoon version of PubG with an annoying-as-fuck building element that makes the endgame all about building a ramp and finding a shotgun.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #4048 on: March 29, 2018, 12:28:07 PM

The younger generation (spoiler: you're all old now, too  why so serious?) loves cartoonier stuff. We're going to see a lot more of that.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #4049 on: March 29, 2018, 12:28:28 PM

Fortnite is blowing up because Drake played it with a popular streamer which got the most views on Twitch or some shit. And THAT got reported on regular news so people probably checked out the game because of it.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #4050 on: March 29, 2018, 03:57:37 PM

Sea of Thieves and Fortnite are both receiving immense attention right now and I have no idea why. 

I'm wondering if I'm just having a  Get off my lawn! moment.

Sea of Thieves is part of the new Xbox gamepass. So while it may seem like a shallow No Man's Sea for $60, Xbox users can use a trial and play it for free or as part of their $10 a month. Most reviewers and people that played the beta are panning it. Sure, mechanically it's a neat and novel experience, but there's just about nothing there and what content is there is repetitive and not very fun.

Fortnite is filling a niche that PUBG filled poorly. It's free (the BR portion), it runs well on most systems, it's not overrun (yet) by hackers, it has a lot of popular streamer support, and changes are made quickly in response to bugs and content is added continually. All things that PUBG somewhat struggles with.

I don't really plan to play either game. Maybe Sea of Thieves if it gets a lot of updates to actually put something there and lowers the price dramatically.  The $60 is basically a sucker's price.

-Rasix
schild
Administrator

Reply #4051 on: March 29, 2018, 04:48:33 PM

Fortnite is blowing up because Drake played it with a popular streamer which got the most views on Twitch or some shit. And THAT got reported on regular news so people probably checked out the game because of it.

It was blowing up before that
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #4052 on: March 30, 2018, 03:56:25 AM

The younger generation (spoiler: you're all old now, too  why so serious?) loves cartoonier stuff. We're going to see a lot more of that.

You're not joking.  Elena's Primary school all play this.  She's mental into it.

It's awesome to see.

koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #4053 on: March 31, 2018, 01:46:06 PM

Fortnite is blowing up because it's free and on damn near every platform, including mobile, compared to PUBG which is only on PC and a single console, and struggles to run on both. Kids watch PUBG stuff and want to play it, but don't have the means, so they gravitate toward the game that's actually on their platform.

Turns out accessibility is kind of important, especially when it provides celebrities easier access to your game for that sweet, sweet indirect marketing.
schild
Administrator

Reply #4054 on: March 31, 2018, 02:50:50 PM

Using a celebrity is extremely direct marketing. Possibly the only things more direct are cold calling and shoving garbage in a mailbox.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #4055 on: April 03, 2018, 06:11:54 PM

Fortnite is blowing up because it's free and on damn near every platform, including mobile, compared to PUBG which is only on PC and a single console, and struggles to run on both. Kids watch PUBG stuff and want to play it, but don't have the means, so they gravitate toward the game that's actually on their platform.

Turns out accessibility is kind of important, especially when it provides celebrities easier access to your game for that sweet, sweet indirect marketing.
If you think those celebrities are promoting a game and not getting paid for it, I have some obscure crypto-currencies you just have to get in on....

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #4056 on: April 03, 2018, 11:21:51 PM

I've now seen it referred to as No Man's Sea.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #4057 on: April 13, 2018, 08:42:08 AM

I'm the one dude that likes building forts in Fortnite.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #4058 on: April 20, 2018, 04:17:16 AM

Am I the only one who thinks that an engine supplier directly competing with its own customers by releasing similar games is a bit suspect? Also probably not the wisest business decision?

Games press is largely handling it as if it's not a big deal and as if Bluehole and Player Unknown are babies for complaining about other people eating their lunch. Well they are being whiny bitches about their competition but being a whiny bitch doesn't necessarily mean you're wrong. I wondered why EA is pushing Frostbite so hard and while having their own engine makes a lot of financial sense for a publisher that is as big as EA, they're also no longer feeding info and company internals to the competition.

Why would I be willing to work with Epic and use their Unreal engine when that cooperation poses the risk of directly feeding valuable improvements, business internals and design knowledge to a potential competitor? Worse even paying them license fees for the engine that they then can use to release the competing product as free to play.

Yes Epic is now probably making all of the money with Fortnite so they got lucky this time but suppose the Fortnite battle royale mode hadn't been the success it was, why jeopardize your own business model and potentially drive away customers?
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #4059 on: April 20, 2018, 09:31:55 AM

I don't know.  Maybe?  I assume your opinion would vary based on who is winning and which one you liked.  Like Quake and any other game made with that engine.  Or if there was still a Unreal FPS being sold.

Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 155 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  
Jump to: