Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 12:54:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 155 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  (Read 1338662 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3990 on: January 17, 2018, 05:02:34 PM

Nintendo Labo. FEEL THE PAPERCUTS!  why so serious?

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #3991 on: January 18, 2018, 06:49:51 AM

Apparently the Dark Souls port for the Switch is getting Labo support. A preview of the controller:

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3992 on: January 18, 2018, 09:33:05 AM

Labo looks pretty cool.  Will gauge interest from the teen.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #3993 on: January 18, 2018, 07:44:34 PM

Nintendo Cardboard:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3Bd3HUMkyU

I can see kids loving this. I just see like $70 for software+cardboard and balk.

This seems like one of those things where at best you'll spend $160 for the whole set for a kid,  then they'll build everything, play with it off and on for a month or two until the cardboard starts to wear out and then not really mess with it again. Then the community for it will be supplanted with an army of 30-40somethings building insanely elaborate toys with it.

I don't get it. Head scratch
patience
Terracotta Army

Reply #3994 on: January 19, 2018, 07:04:48 AM

Nintendo Cardboard:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3Bd3HUMkyU

I can see kids loving this. I just see like $70 for software+cardboard and balk.

This seems like one of those things where at best you'll spend $160 for the whole set for a kid,  then they'll build everything, play with it off and on for a month or two until the cardboard starts to wear out and then not really mess with it again. Then the community for it will be supplanted with an army of 30-40somethings building insanely elaborate toys with it.

I don't get it. Head scratch

It's basically the ultimate solution to the peripherals market.

Remember guitar hero? Now imagine using cardboard  instead of plastic. This greatly changes the longevity of the brand.

You know what game required (yes required) this?

Now imagine if this barrier to playing this game could be replaced with cardboard and 4 joycons.

But that's not the only thing Labo does.

Nintendo pushed Wii Music at schools. Labo will get way more traction as an educational tool at schools that haven't cut budgets for the arts. I even can see science programs with an engineering bent asking for this.

It goes even further than those 2 but discussing how this could create a cottage industry for Nintendo to coexist with is too large of a subject.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 10:53:32 AM by patience »

OP is assuming its somewhat of a design-goal of eve to make players happy.
this is however not the case.
schild
Administrator

Reply #3995 on: January 19, 2018, 07:55:43 AM

i don't have words for how much i hate the labo
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #3996 on: January 19, 2018, 09:23:28 AM

Nantucket just got released on Steam: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_rATL0UZAA

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3997 on: January 19, 2018, 02:12:05 PM

i don't have words for how much i hate the labo

Oh, come on. You're aging more rapidly than my prostate.  If this shit came out for the SNES in the 90s, you'd eat it up.  My son is (being forced) into robotics and this is both a way to keep those skills updated as well as something that is generally a cool side project.  It will no doubt be a boost for N, but maybe you hate N enough that this alone irks you, which is fair.  I don't hate Nintendo because the Switch is awesome and they are making great games for it.  /shrug_emoji

Ultimately if my boy is excited about something that will encourage him to do something other than play Stardew Valley, watch YouTube, and text the group chat on his phone, then I'm all for it.  Lame for you?  Perhaps.  Lame for our kids?  Not at all.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 08:50:23 PM by schild »

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
schild
Administrator

Reply #3998 on: January 19, 2018, 08:49:56 PM

I didn't even own a super scope.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #3999 on: January 20, 2018, 11:00:56 AM

I was originally super put-off by the price. $70 for the software and some fucking cardboard? Apparently the actual patterns are going to be made publicly available, and rebuying the premade ones without the software will be much, much cheaper.

It really seems like more of a novelty but you can't really say it isn't clever. Granted my opinion that kids will lose interest really quick stands.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4000 on: January 20, 2018, 10:00:59 PM

Nintendo Ikea? Come on, this is stupid and shit.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #4001 on: January 21, 2018, 05:32:41 AM

I’m trying to imagine what sort of child doesn’t break each one of those within a few days.  Like, plastic accessories had a rough life in the 80’s.  You’ll literally have to buy new cardboard to rebuild the device every week.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #4002 on: January 21, 2018, 06:51:16 AM

That was my biggest concern too. When I watched the video, I thought it was the sort of thing I might enjoy, but my kids will wreck it almost immediately.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #4003 on: January 22, 2018, 11:33:11 AM

Anyone had to replace the battery in their Wii-U pad?  Mine lasts like 30-45 minutes at best these days.  The batteries seem cheap enough on Amazon, so I'm probably just going to give it a shot and see how it goes.
schild
Administrator

Reply #4004 on: January 22, 2018, 09:19:25 PM

I’m trying to imagine what sort of child doesn’t break each one of those within a few days.  Like, plastic accessories had a rough life in the 80’s.  You’ll literally have to buy new cardboard to rebuild the device every week.

Plastic today ain't plastic in the 80s and cardboard ain't the plastic of today.

This shit is stupid. I don't care if kids want to be fucking robots. This is not that.
patience
Terracotta Army

Reply #4005 on: January 23, 2018, 05:59:09 AM

If you're dissatisfied with cardboard get fibreboard.

OP is assuming its somewhat of a design-goal of eve to make players happy.
this is however not the case.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #4006 on: January 23, 2018, 11:56:36 AM

Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age comes out on PC 2/1/18; glad I held off and didn't buy it on my PS4. 20% off if you buy it the first week, but it cannot be preordered. swamp poop

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #4007 on: January 23, 2018, 12:17:43 PM

I've been playing through it on PS4 for the last two weeks.  Enjoying it a lot but I can't help feeling like I screwed up my job assignments and am too far into the game to start over.  Pro-tip: don't put spears and knight swords on the same character.

The fast-forward mode is life-changing, it's almost impossible to go back to normal speed once you get comfortable on 2x.  It makes the later grinding so much easier.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #4008 on: January 25, 2018, 08:59:23 PM

Darkest Dungeon is now available on the Switch and it seems to be a pretty good port.

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/darkest-dungeon-switch
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #4009 on: January 26, 2018, 08:20:44 AM

Darkest Dungeon is now available on the Switch and it seems to be a pretty good port.

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/darkest-dungeon-switch

Man, it looks like some good games are getting ported over that were fun on Steam but better suited for portable play, then were later ported to iOS/Android for tablets.  This is starting to get super tempted for couch play while the wife watches TV/facebook.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #4010 on: January 26, 2018, 11:41:45 PM

Paragon, Epic's misguided foray into MOBAs, is closing on 26 April.  Unsurprising considering the game never really caught on and with Fortnite being as successful as it is, all Epic's resources will be put to there.  At least they're offering full refunds for people that bought into it. 

Even though it had a small community, I feel bad when people lose their game, esp. this guy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwm2SxoYfJM&feature=youtu.be
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #4011 on: January 26, 2018, 11:56:27 PM

« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 12:00:24 AM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Pendan
Terracotta Army

Reply #4012 on: January 29, 2018, 04:57:35 PM

Bluehole is shutting down Devilian so Epic has to follow with its own closer.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #4013 on: January 29, 2018, 07:15:57 PM

Damn, I had never even heard of Devilian before you mentioned it and I still had to Google it.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4014 on: January 29, 2018, 07:27:01 PM

It totally sounds like a bad browser game from ten years ago.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4015 on: January 29, 2018, 10:52:15 PM

Remember The Church in the Darkness? The game inspired to the Jonestown Massacre? There's a new gameplay video out that explains what it's going to be like. Basically, it's a... stealth-cult-infiltration game...

See for yourself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfapRHqqZSM

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4016 on: February 08, 2018, 10:16:45 AM

A survival game with modular mechs?

Pantropy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLg6pphtx1Y

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #4017 on: March 12, 2018, 03:37:52 AM

Nintendo Direct for March '18.

https://youtu.be/NsFna-Z1MjU

Highlights (Bold for DRILLING AND MANLINESS to look out for):

3DS Stuff
WarioWare Gold - All the Warioware games bundled into one game.
Dillon's Dead-Heat Breakers - Some sort of indie tower defense game.
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr.'s Journey - Holy shit they're still making this series? Man, I need to catch up...
Detective Pikachu + amiibo - lolololol @deep voice Pikachu
Luigi's Mansion - One of the few gems of the GameCube, now on 3DS

Switch Stuff
Kirby Star Allies - Moar Kirby hype. All of the sidekicks from the various Kirby games are coming together for this one.
Okami HD - Fuck yeah!
Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido - Umm, whatever.
Octopath Traveler - Square RPG in the vein of FF but not FF. Intricate job system that spans 8 main characters.
Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes - Different kinda of game from the No More Heroes franchise of the Wii. Looks neat.
Dark Souls Remastered + amiibo - PRAISE THE SUN, MF'ERS!
Mario Tennis Aces - Eh...yay sports?
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker - Another Wii port getting the Switch treatment. Shiny graphics and some new content.
Undertale - I still haven't played this. It's about time.
Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy - So much for Sony exclusives. Every platform is getting this now, but seeing it on the Switch is kinda  awesome, for real
Little Nightmares: Complete Edition - If you're Nintendo, and you greenlit Dark Souls for your console, anything's game at this point.
South Park: The Fractured But Whole - lololololol South Park on Nintendo. Believe the hype!
Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition - Another Wii port getting the Switch treatment. Shiny graphics and some new content.
ARMS US & Canada Online Open - Multiplayer ARMS!
Splatoon 2 ver. 3.0 - More Splatoon love!
Super Smash Bros. - It's time, fuckers. Begin the Switch money printer!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 03:55:50 AM by luckton »

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #4018 on: March 12, 2018, 04:48:21 AM

I swore to myself that I’ll never buy an Amiibo. I’ll break that for the Solaire of Astoria Amiibo.

Praise the Sun, Motherfuckers.
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #4019 on: March 12, 2018, 10:14:11 AM

I hope they are saving some heavy hitters for later in the year, because that's a whole bunch of bleh.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4020 on: March 12, 2018, 11:31:25 AM

Supposedly there will be:

* A proper Fire Emblem game
* A proper Pokémon game
* Bayonetta 3
* A new Metroid Prime
* A new Shin Megami Tensei
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #4021 on: March 12, 2018, 11:50:12 AM

Octopath Traveler is the only thing that's vaguely exciting for me on that list, but I get kind of a Bravely vibe from it and I didn't care for either of those games so...

Trippy's list is far more exciting, and SMT is what will finally get me to pull the trigger. I'm hoping for a cheaper handheld-only model or something, as I've had poor luck with consoles lately where I buy one weeks before they announce the fancy slim model.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #4022 on: March 12, 2018, 12:06:50 PM

Trippy's list is far more exciting, and SMT is what will finally get me to pull the trigger. I'm hoping for a cheaper handheld-only model or something, as I've had poor luck with consoles lately where I buy one weeks before they announce the fancy slim model.

They've already said that a Switch 2.0 is not happening, rather they'll continue to work with what they've got and add new peripherals/accessories.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #4023 on: March 13, 2018, 09:40:51 AM

Smash Bros is bleh?

This recent news is how I discovered my son does not know what SMT is.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4024 on: March 13, 2018, 02:58:33 PM

"Free" games via Twitch Prime (Amazon Prime):

https://blog.twitch.tv/level-up-your-video-game-collection-with-free-games-with-prime-785fac856490?sf184412156=1

March games:
· Superhot
· Shadow Tactics
· Tales from Candlekeep
· Oxenfree
· Mr. Shifty

April games:
· Tales from the Borderlands
· SteamWorld Dig 2
· Kingsway
· Tokyo 42
· Dubwars
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 155 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  
Jump to: