Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:22:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 155 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  (Read 1355387 times)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1750 on: June 09, 2014, 11:43:48 AM

Does your robot need glasses?  Take it to a local Austin repair shop.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
schild
Administrator

Reply #1751 on: June 09, 2014, 11:46:43 AM

He'll be able to see, but won't be able to identify anything.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1752 on: June 11, 2014, 07:38:39 PM

Also I don't know where to post this but here's a good reason why Penny Arcade kinda fucking sucks.

They posted this hilarious job app for their webadmin a while back and basically it involves doing 80 hours a week of work in 4 different jobs that any other company would hire 3-4 people making ~$100k for.

Here's the guy who quit the position...because he was literally hospitalized by the job and couldn't make enough to earn a teaching certification.

My name is Kenneth Kuan, the tech guy at Penny Arcade, and my decision to leave is why this position opened. Since the posting for my replacement went up, I've seen a lot of speculation about the position and what working for PA might be like. I figure it might help to hear the reality of my experience there. These are my own unfiltered thoughts; I'll be leaving the company in three months, so I'm not exactly worried about getting fired for what I say here.

First things first - you may wonder, how could this job possibly be so good if I'm leaving it behind? No, I did not burn out. No, the conditions are not awful. I am leaving because I have always wanted to teach. Doing so comfortably requires that before then, I need to put away a lot of money to support myself when I’m getting paid a truly ludicrous wage. It is true that I am paid below market value, but not so significantly as folks on the internet assume. I live quite comfortably on this salary, and while it’s less than I could make elsewhere, it’s not out of the bounds of reasonable expectation. But I want to accelerate my plans for teaching. So here we are. I love this company, but I have goals that won't be fulfilled by working there, so it's time to move on.

To give you context about how the position is currently filled, I’d like to tell you about myself. I am 27 years old. I graduated from the University of Washington with a BS in Computer Science. I worked immediately after at Amazon on the AmazonFresh team for 3 years, mostly on the customer-facing website. My focus was on building the areas of the site with heavy User Experience and User Interface aspects. We used Java on Struts, JSPs, and MySQL.

At the same time, I developed a relationship with Penny Arcade (the company) as well as Penny Arcade (the people). By 2011, I'd been an Enforcer (volunteer for PAX) for 6 years. I took on management of the Console Freeplay department in my second year, something I continue to be heavily involved in. Because of this, I had a fair bit more exposure to the office and PA staff than your average fellow. It was then that an opportunity opened up to fill their technical needs on a short notice, and given the immense respect I'd developed for everyone in the office, I jumped on it without hesitating. I took a moderate pay cut and loss of half of my stock vest by doing so, but I had no reservations. This job meant security, a huge opportunity to go out of my comfort zone and learn, and countless other 'soft' benefits I couldn't think of. And I got to work with people I truly enjoyed.

I want to be clear here. When I started, I was a fairly well trained software/web developer, and I could handle general IT about as well as anyone else with a CS degree. I had fairly limited exposure to systems administration; anyone who knew how to type 'apt-get install apache2' knew about as much as I did. If I had had to apply for the job with the presently listed requirements, I might not have gotten the offer. But I had a very strong idea of my limitations and what I would need to do to get the job done in spite of them.

So what does the job actually require? If you want to do *well*, the job posting is absolutely accurate. I helped write most of the technical requirements. Because I've been learning as I go, I've had to constantly triage out tasks and rely heavily on outside help - Rackspace's Managed Butt support is an incredible (albeit costly) resource, @Icyliquid has saved my ass more times than I can count, and the support of the shadowy PAX Engineering team, made up of Enforcers who are also IT or development professionals that I informally manage, has also been a huge boon. It seems like a herculean task for just one person. I'll run down the four primary hats and describe things:

* Web Developer: pretty straightforward. We've got lots of sites, they need building and maintaining. Erika is actually better than I am with HTML and CSS (seriously she is some kind of goddess) and a fair hand with PHP, so I largely get called in for weird special needs or out of the box projects. We use ExpressionEngine (PHP) for practically all our properties, with Apache (nginx in one weird instance) and MySQL under the hood.

* Software Developer: weird random projects that aren't web development. Maybe you need a warehouse management system, or an auction checkout system, or I don't know what. Pick your favorite language, write clean, maintainable code (for your own sake), and you're pretty much set here. You own the code base. You are responsible for every line of it, but that also means you have full control. Nothing I leave behind has to be set in stone. Of course, part of development is knowing when to reuse - you might not necessarily implement every tool the company needs from scratch. You might instead identify off-the-shelf products and do the work of evaluating and integrating them.

* Sysadmin: the hardest part (because I'm not one). All our servers are hosted on Rackspace Managed Butt. We have a bunch of Apache servers sitting behind Varnish caches sitting behind a Butt Load Balancer. I think there's a MySQL DB or two somewhere in the back. That I can't quite keep up with the job required here is evident any time we get a particularly large spike. At this point I have a pretty decent idea how to configure Apache, I mostly know how Varnish works, and I'm really good at bugging @Icyliquid and/or filing tickets with Rackspace support. Someone with better experience here could surely fine-tune our setup to get more out of less. Which, honestly, is kind of a mantra of software development.

* General IT: yes, everyone at Penny Arcade is fairly technically savvy. I'm pretty sure every one of them are the respective go-to IT professional for their families. Sometimes weirder stuff comes up - you need an FTP dump set up for clients, a local fileshare, "the thing isn't working and I don't know why". Whatever. This is honestly the smallest drain on my time by far, but it is part of the job and there's no one else to foist it onto. If you don't know how to fix it, you're the one who gets to figure out how.

So four hats, right? Why not four tech staff? The reality is that one highly motivated, highly skilled person can handle all of this. You do not need to be constantly working IT, or constantly managing servers or writing code. There’s a lot there, yes. This is a job that will keep one person fairly busy. Two people might find themselves spending a lot of time on /r/aww. Running as lean as we do, we have become a group of people incredibly effective at accomplishing huge tasks with limited resources.

I like this bullet point thing.

* Hours, on-call, etc: work demands don't tend to be especially consistent. Depending on the project load, I might spend 8 hours at the office and call it good, or I might stay til 10-midnight consistently for a couple weeks. The period where we launched Child's Play, Trenches, and PAR? I think? all within months of each other was pretty rough. As far as on-call is concerned, you are the only one on call. Prepare to have a laptop and some way of connecting to the internet with you at all times. Want to go on a hike somewhere there's no reception? Sorry, you can't. It's one of the hard realities of this job, and you should be aware of it going in. On the other hand, for better or worse, the likelihood you'll be paged is directly proportionate to your ability to write reliable code. You're not responsible for anyone else's messes. If something does go wrong, you are fully expected to jump. Fast. No matter what time it is or where you are. Generally speaking, you are also expected to be in fairly regular contact - easily reachable at normal waking hours, regularly checking email in case something urgent comes in. If someone needs you on the weekend, you’re available on the weekend. You will quickly become frustrated that other vendors don’t keep the same weekend hours that you do. Of course, it’s just as likely a coworker will message you to go to the movies, or to test out a new game they made. Everyone takes your time very seriously, and you will never get interrupted for frivolous issues.

* Life at PA: guys, I’m going to level with you. The ping pong table is *not* a benefit. I’m at the bottom of the goddamn ladder and I’m reminded every day I walk to my desk. Stop bringing it up. More seriously - everyone works as hard or harder than this position requires. Every job is actually four hats, but it just happens that these particular hats are very distinct and definable. Some people have families and go home at 5. Some people don’t, and stay well into the night because that’s what they’ve chosen to do. Even when I go home, I’m usually working at some point. I keep my laptop next to my bed so I can do a little work when I wake up. But I have never, ever felt uncomfortable, abused, or taken advantage of. People seem to disregard this notion of a “work family”, and it is certainly abused in other contexts, but it is really really real here. Folks at PA take care of each other. Some of them are my closest friends. I popped a lung and spent a week in the hospital, right before a scheduled launch. They pushed out the launch, came and visited me in the hospital, brought me delicious Asian snacks and lent me a Vita to help pass the time. Last December, I was dealing with a lot of unrelated anxiety and depression issues. It screwed over the project I was working on at the time, but I was given time off, no questions asked. Actually, no - question asked: “What can we do to help? Can we send you anywhere?” A person hired at Penny Arcade is a huge investment, financially and emotionally. We spend almost all our waking hours around each other, so we better like and care for each other. You can’t just hire someone you expect to burn out in a year or two. I play Warmachine every Monday with coworkers. When I’m not totally raging out, I play UMvC3 with Robert and Kiko every day at 4:30. We have family lunch every Friday. A yearly weeklong company retreat. Is all that worth the lower salary and longer hours? That’s up to you.

There is this notion that work/life balance is some kind of sacred goal. I’m sorry, but it’s ludicrous. That’s like saying everyone would be fulfilled by getting married and having 2.5 kids. If you want to work 40 hours and never think about your job after 5pm, great! Find something that does that for you. If you want to work 80 or more hours at something you truly enjoy, in fact you don’t want to stop working ever because you love it so much, shouldn’t that be okay too? Shouldn’t we be so lucky as to have a job that we are so invested in? We are very honest about what working at Penny Arcade requires. No one here has been scammed into working as hard as they do, and the implication that we’re all blind fools with low self esteem for being here is honestly insulting. If you take a job here, you know what you’re getting into, and you’ve decided it’s worth it to you. There won’t be any taking advantage of starry-eyed young twenty-somethings. You need to have a very realistic idea of what this job requires, or you will fail. And we’re not interested in hiring anyone just to set them up for failure.

This is all I can think of to cover, which is already quite a bit. I hope it helps you understand what life is really like as a unicorn.
Khoo is a gigantic evil piece of shit for doing this to anyone.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
schild
Administrator

Reply #1753 on: June 11, 2014, 08:05:40 PM

Sounds like a shitshow where Tycho and Gabe are greedy and not willing to pay 2 salaries.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1754 on: June 11, 2014, 09:33:16 PM

Did you copypasta that through a Cloud > Butt filter?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
schild
Administrator

Reply #1755 on: June 11, 2014, 10:19:54 PM

I don't know, it was about as coherent as a lot of Tycho's bullshit.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #1756 on: June 12, 2014, 01:21:01 AM

The only thing that concerns me more than companies having shitty ethics (news at eleven) is the Stockholm syndrome like behaviour of people like him. In his mind he is telling us that his job wasn't that bad after all - granted with all the fervor of a brain-washed sect member. If you really read what he wrote though you can only get the impression that PA is a shithole you shouldn't ever be working for.

He doesn't seem to get the distinction though.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #1757 on: June 12, 2014, 01:30:00 AM

And that will always allow shitty employers to say "look, there's a line out there dreaming to get this job..." which always makes me think both of Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath and Kevin Spacey's character in Huang's Swimming with Sharks.

rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #1758 on: June 12, 2014, 02:04:48 AM

Also I don't know where to post this but here's a good reason why Penny Arcade kinda fucking sucks.

They posted this hilarious job app for their webadmin a while back and basically it involves doing 80 hours a week of work in 4 different jobs that any other company would hire 3-4 people making ~$100k for.

Here's the guy who quit the position...because he was literally hospitalized by the job and couldn't make enough to earn a teaching certification.

My name is Kenneth Kuan,

Hi.

Shd've quit earlier lah.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #1759 on: June 12, 2014, 02:05:57 AM

The only thing that concerns me more than companies having shitty ethics (news at eleven) is the Stockholm syndrome like behaviour of people like him. In his mind he is telling us that his job wasn't that bad after all - granted with all the fervor of a brain-washed sect member. If you really read what he wrote though you can only get the impression that PA is a shithole you shouldn't ever be working for.

He doesn't seem to get the distinction though.

I have no sympathy.
I held a shit job. But I don't quit right now cause I ... uh.. I love it. Here. Yeah I felt needed.
Don't blame my employer please.
But listen to my sob story of torture and self inflicted pain.
Please.
Please?

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #1760 on: June 12, 2014, 02:22:13 AM

Who gives a shit, really? If people want to self-flagellate at the altar of being friends with the ultra-cool PA guys, then good for them. Him writing this post should put off anyone whose intelligence outweighs their fanboi-devotion to PA.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1761 on: June 12, 2014, 03:44:39 AM

Did you copypasta that through a Cloud > Butt filter?
Yep.

I'm just boggled at how the guy tries to justify the job when the job market in that -immediate area- isn't so bad as to justify it. This isn't the middle of the great recession anymore; it's not the booming 90's anymore but no fucking way is that job worth it.

It's not the same kind of shitty job you get when you're attempting to build experience/expertise and advance your career. That job is just a horrendously shitty tech job where you're a slave doing the work of 3-4 people for a very successful company that pulls in more than enough money to fill the 3-4 positions the work REALLY requires.

"No no, this was a great experience! I mean, yeah I worked 80 hours a week and was so stressed out it put me in the hospital and I didn't get paid the going rate for the work I did but they came and visited me in the hospital! And sometimes...nerf gun fights would break out. That part was awesome when I wasn't hospitalized."

Just FYI this guy quitting coincides with Penny Arcade's decision to kill all of its stupid side projects.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 03:54:40 AM by Fabricated »

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1762 on: June 12, 2014, 07:30:16 AM

There's no reason to ever work people like that, when the answer is another person to help do their job. Hell you can probably hire two underlings that he managed for 80% total of what he cost, and the job would get done more efficiently.

Owners often think it's a good idea to turn and burn people like this, but fatigue, resentment, medical issues and other problems fuck up the work. Then, you get a guy like this who obviously loves your company leaving after just 3 years. That guy sounds like if he was actually treated like a human being, he would have been there for at least 5 years, let alone might have changed his mind on teaching and just joined up for life.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1763 on: June 12, 2014, 09:28:45 AM

Tech-based company burns people candles at both ends for less than market value, then expects other expendable dipshits to fill the same role that should be filled by at least multiple people AND do it for less than market value? Film at fucking 11.

I'm constantly amazed at the idea that having a laptop next to your bed so you can do work at home in the middle of the fucking night and not being able to go to places without Internet access just in case you are needed at work WHILE YOU ARE ON VACATION is somehow acceptable. It's fucking not. That's slave talk. You are not your fucking job and no job should expect that you should be. The fact that there are probably hundreds lined up somewhere to gladly take this job is why it can still be done. It's also why the video game industry is simply not a good place to work. Fuck this mentality in its earhole.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1764 on: June 12, 2014, 09:58:29 AM

What Haem said.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1765 on: June 12, 2014, 10:18:42 AM

If there are hundreds lined up to jump off a cliff, let them. That's my thought process on this.

Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1766 on: June 12, 2014, 10:20:52 AM

That guy is affecting others though. As long as idiots sign up to work under those conditions, it will make it tougher for other people in IT (like me) to actually have a life outside of work.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1767 on: June 12, 2014, 10:25:18 AM

That guy is affecting others though. As long as idiots sign up to work under those conditions, it will make it tougher for other people in IT (like me) to actually have a life outside of work.

You can't stop that. You can either accept that your industry is overpopulated, or you can find a new line. That's the nature of every job market.

jth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1768 on: June 12, 2014, 10:55:37 AM

Sure, what we all were waiting for was yet another digital distribution platform.

We're excited to announce the launch of Glyph™, our new digital client for PC games! Beginning today, you can purchase/play launch titles including:

All Trion games
    The Banner Saga
    Book of Unwritten Tales Deluxe
    Dungeon of Elements
    The Raven Deluxe
    Reignmaker
    Wasteland 2 (Early Access)
    And many more titles from independent & global studios coming in the months ahead!

Download GLYPH    

In addition, Glyph will remember you between sessions (even between Trion games), track the latest game news, and offer Play Test Server access with more features on the way. Read more on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, and enjoy the latest DRM-free games coming soon to Glyph.
©2014 Trion Worlds, Inc. Trion, Trion Worlds, Glyph, and their respective logos, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Trion Worlds, Inc. in the U.S. and other countries. All other trademarks and logos belong to their respective owners. All rights reserved.

Trion Worlds is located at 1200 Bridge Parkway, Suite 201, Redwood City, CA 94065

To ensure our emails are not filtered into your junk folder, please add glyph@@email.triongames.com to your email program's contact list. Edit your email preferences
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1769 on: June 12, 2014, 11:02:09 AM

RIP AND TEAR: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFSyxguqnbo

(It can't be as bad as 3, right?  undecided )

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1770 on: June 12, 2014, 12:50:45 PM

You can't stop that. You can either accept that your industry is overpopulated, or you can find a new line. That's the nature of every job market.

Or you can fucking unionize and get some actual fucking rights back.

Yeah, I know, that's pie in the sky talk but really, this is the kind of shit unions are supposed to exist to protect workers from.

EDIT: Also, I'm supposed to give a shit about another shinier version of Doom? Really?  why so serious?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 12:53:31 PM by HaemishM »

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1771 on: June 12, 2014, 12:54:20 PM

And then say hello to $100+ games.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1772 on: June 12, 2014, 01:14:06 PM

We aren't far from that now.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1773 on: June 12, 2014, 01:32:49 PM

Whatever we aren't far from, it's nothing compared to what we'd be paying for unionized game development.

And by 'we' I mean people still paying retail for games. If it wasn't for Steam, I'd have given up video games 10 years ago.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1774 on: June 12, 2014, 01:37:31 PM

What is Hartsman doing? :(
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1775 on: June 12, 2014, 02:53:29 PM

Whatever we aren't far from, it's nothing compared to what we'd be paying for unionized game development.

And by 'we' I mean people still paying retail for games. If it wasn't for Steam, I'd have given up video games 10 years ago.

If suckers are willing to pay retail for AAA games (and they are), they deserve to be parted with their money.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1776 on: June 12, 2014, 03:08:38 PM

Hey! Chris L'Etoile is writing the story of Dawngate!

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1777 on: June 12, 2014, 03:34:18 PM

Since I already don't buy very many $60 games, I don't give half a shit if they do go to $100.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1778 on: June 12, 2014, 03:53:57 PM

Hey! Chris L'Etoile is writing the story of Dawngate!

Putting out a press release on the writer of MOBA-lore is like having a fan convention for the writers of the warning labels on cigarettes.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1779 on: June 12, 2014, 04:39:18 PM

Narrative MOBA? I'm kind of intrigued. Sounds kind of like the old L5R thing.

Also, don't be mean to Stormwaltz.  tongue

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1780 on: June 12, 2014, 04:54:24 PM

Never. I was actually subtly celebrating "one of us" getting a nice job and some spotlight Heart

schild
Administrator

Reply #1781 on: June 12, 2014, 05:01:31 PM

I like Chris. But anyway, the amount of marketing their shoving into Dawngate makes absolutely zero sense to me. I mean, you've got LoL and DOTA2. Why dump money into the shortbus?
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #1782 on: June 12, 2014, 06:03:33 PM

I like Chris. But anyway, the amount of marketing their shoving into Dawngate makes absolutely zero sense to me. I mean, you've got LoL and DOTA2. Why dump money into the shortbus?

Maybe you can romance a blood shaman or some shit

schild
Administrator

Reply #1783 on: June 12, 2014, 06:03:49 PM

i dont wanna
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1784 on: June 12, 2014, 06:23:15 PM

Look, I appreciate that he's got a job and that he'll be doing a lot of writing. I appreciate that there is TONS of lore in League of Legends. I played the game for two years heavily, and I can safely say that I read not even one percent of the lore. ME2, at least the lore is a strong portion of the game because it's a story-based narrative. MOBA? No. The narrative is emergent from the gameplay, all the lore just drives is fluff and concept art.

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 155 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  
Jump to: